• Published 17th Dec 2022
  • 948 Views, 55 Comments

The Tale of Neon Light - DeffBwade



The tale of a pony who will help spread magic and friendship across Equestria. The tale of a pony who will discover that there is more to him than he believes. This is the tale of Neon Light.

  • ...
1
 55
 948

Chapter 6: No Magic?

Author's Note:

Hey guys.

So I know it's been almost a month since the last chapter, but just know that I'm not planning on cancelling this story.

My excuse?

Procrastination.

And college.

So yeah. From now on I'm gonna try my best to update once a week, or at the very least every other week.

The Tale of Neon Light

Written by DeffBwade

Chapter 6: No Magic?


Disguise ourselves as unicorns and infiltrate Bridlewood? Done.

Locate the unicorn crystal? Done.

Win a dancing game to win said crystal? Not part of the plan, but done.

Accidently expose our true identities in front of everypony? Definitely not part of the plan and now we're screwed because there's no talking our way out of this.

"An earth pony!" Alphabittle said in an intimidating tone.

Yep, the jig is up.

"Hmm. Maybe if the rest of us keep our disguises, we can—" I thought before I noticed that Zipp and Pipp were removing said disguises, "Okay, never mind."

"And pegasi!" Zipp spoke with confidence up as she, Pipp, and I took off our horns and cloaks to reveal our wings.

"And a unicorn...which you knew already!" Izzy stated.

"I know it doesn’t look like it, but we’re here to help," Sunny tried to reassure and ease the tension as the unicorns started to slowly advance.

You heard me say "tried," right?

"Help? We don't need help. Especially from ponies like you," Alphabittle stated firmly before demanding, "Give me the crystal!"

That made me frown.

"Um...no," I said firmly, "We won it fair and square."

"She tricked me," the unicorn complained with a snarl, "I hardly call that fair and square."

"Who cares if Sunny was only pretending to be a unicorn? It gave her no advantage whatsoever!" I said, starting to get irritated, "And besides, you were the one that said that she only had to win one round. Not her or me. You. So I suggest you step back and let us walk away with the crystals."

Like I said before, the cocky ones lose most of the time.

Me standing up for me and the others made Alphabittle chuckle a bit.

"Or what?" he asked, "I'm not afraid of you or your sister," I said, gesturing to Zipp who walked up a bit.

"She's not my sister," I deadpanned, "And as for what I'm gonna do..."

He's probably asking that because he's this big stallion that can take on anypony and anything, while I'm just a pegasus with an average height and build, and no fighting experience whatsoever.

And that is exactly true. He could take me down within a second.

I, however, just smirked.

Sometimes the best way to get past an enemy is the way that doesn't involve engaging them (if that makes sense).

I took a deep breathe, and...

"Magic, wing, feather, MAYONNAISE!" I yelled out.

And lo and behold, that did the trick.

"Bing! Bong! Bing, bong! Bing, bong!" chanted everypony in the room, including Alphabittle, as they did that little dance.

This time I couldn't help but chuckle. I mean, might as well, right?

"Go, go, go!" Sunny shouted as we all ran out of the building, taking the crystals with us.

"You'll pay for this!" Alphabittle shouted after us.

"Sorry about that!" Izzy apologized, "Thanks for the teas!"

"Good thinking, Neon!" Hitch said as we ran.

"Hey, Sunny never said that I couldn't say any forbidden words," I said.

Here's a fact about about me. I usually just do what I'm told. So if something or somepony doesn't say that I can't do something, then I'll gladly do it if I want to. As long as it isn't illegal, of course.

Anyways, we were getting closer and closer to getting out of Bridlewood, but stopped in our tracks when we heard the sound of leaves rustling. We were worried that it was just more unicorns that were intercepting our escape, but became surprised when it wasn't a unicorn.

It was instead Queen Haven, who looked a little dirty and exhausted (probably from treading through this forest).

"Mom?!" Zipp and Pipp exclaimed happily as they walked up to their mother.

"Oh, my darlings!" Queen Haven exclaimed with relief, "Thank hoofness!"

"You escaped!" Zipp smiled.

"How did you find us?" Pipp asked.

The bushes rustled once again, and Cloudpuff came running out with a badge in his mouth and jumping onto Hitch, knocking him to the ground.

"Ah! My badge! Yes!" Hitch exclaimed with relief as held up the badge in victory.

"A blessing in disguise, I suppose."

"Oh, I'm so glad I found my little fillies," Queen Haven said, turning back to her daughters, "Now, I know that if you just come back with me, we can explain everything. Spin the story, and they'll love us again, r-right?"

"...Yeah, I don't think that's gonna work in the slightest," I thought to myself as I walked up.

"Oh Neon," Queen Haven said before pulling me into a hug, "Thank you so much for helping Pipp. I don't know what I would've done if any of my daughters wound up in prison."

"...Um, no problem," I said as she let go of me, "How did you even escape from the ZH prison anyway?"

"Oh, she had some help," a voice called out.

We all turned towards the bushes and saw another mare coming out of them. She was around the same age as the Queen (about 2 or 3 years younger to be specific), had a light gray coat, dark gray hooves, bronze colored eyes with crow's feet underneath them, hot pink feathers, and a medium length mane and tail that were mainly hot pink but had a few light pink streaks.

Everypony, meet Orchid Light, aka...

"Mom?" I exclaimed with a smile as I walked up to the mare and hugged her, "Y-you're here as well? How? Why?"

"Well, I wasn't about to leave Haven in jail," she said, which makes sense considering that she and Queen Haven have been friends for as long as I have been with Pipp and Zipp. But then her face and tone became stern, "And I just had to see my son after he became a criminal just to save his friend."

That made me kind of nervous. I mean, can you blame me? She is my mom after all. Anypony would feel the same if their mom was talking to them like that.

"Um...I mean..." I stammered before sighing, "I'm sorry Mom. I just—"

She interrupted me by laughing.

"Oh, sweetie. There's no need to apologize," she reassured, "I'm proud of you for sticking up for those that you care abo—"

She in turn got interrupted by the sound of hoofsteps coming our way. We all turned and saw the unicorns angrily running towards us before stopping.

"Oh no," I mumbled.

I guess they got done doing their whole ritual to get rid of the so called jinxies.

"Let us explain!" Sunny tried pleading with them, but another voice spoke up.

"There they are!" Zoom shouted as she and a bunch of other ZH guards showed up, "Your criminal highness! You're coming with us for lying to the kingdom and being a false queen! And you ma'am..." she shouted, pointing at my mom, "...are under arrest for helping a fugitive escape!"

"...Oh, right," my mom said nervously with a sheepish smile, "We may or may not have been followed this entire time."

"You think?!"

"Ah! Unicorns!" Thunder screamed, then with a panic, threw a tennis ball at Alphabittle, who just frowned and wasn't phased by it at all.

"Give me back my crystals and leave Bridlewood!" Alphabittle demanded.

"Your crystals? That crystal belongs to me!" Haven spoke up in response.

“Not anymore, it doesn’t! I won it fair and square.” Alphabittle lied.

"No, that is a lie!" I spoke up this time.

"Hah! I certainly doubt it!" Haven scoffed. "Unicorns are known to be cheaters!"

"You Pegasi always thought you were better than us!" Alphabittle glared.

"Hey, that's our queen you're talking to!" one of the ZH guards shouted.

"She's not a queen here!" one of the unicorns shouted back.

"Who do you think you are?!" the pegasus guard asked.

"We're gonna zap you with our horns!" the unicorn retaliated with a bluff, as another joined in the scuffle. "This is our land! You're not welcome here!"

This ridiculous back and forth bickering was becoming tiring to listen to now. And little bit brain aneurysm inducing.

Now I'm usually a calm and level-headed pony, and after getting in many, many stupid arguments while playing video games (seriously, what kind of grown up whines like a baby about a non-meta perk/tool helping their opponent to win a game?!), I'm more or less able to tolerate them.

But this...this isn't over a video game. This is real life.

Something about this whole situation is just...making me not want to just sit on the sidelines and spectate with a bucket of popcorn.

"Surrender the crystal, or we'll use our powers against you!" Alphabittle threatened, which again, was a total bluff.

"I'd like to see you try!" Queen Haven challenged.

At that moment, something in me just...snapped. It felt like...I just had to stand up and cease this bickering.

"EVERYPONY SHUT UP!!!" I yelled out, gaining everypony's attention, including looks of surprise from my mom, Pipp, and Zipp. Normally, I’m not comfortable with having this much attention on me (I'm starting to get weak knees again), but it feels as if I just have to say something. I cleared my throat before saying, "Sorry. Look, I get it. You're all wary of each other because of what we were taught when we young. But ever since I met Sunny, Izzy, and Hitch, they have shown me nothing but kindness!... Well, Hitch was a little bit wary, but he eventually warmed up to us! So if we were all taught to fear the other pony tribes, then explain how three pegasi managed to befriend two earth ponies and a unicorn in the span of two or so days," I practically demanded, but I just continued before somepony could answer, "We have done nothing wrong to indicate that we're hostile in any way. All we're doing is trying to restore magic to Equestria."

I was so caught up in the moment that I didn't even realize I didn't stutter once that entire rant.

"Bing bong!" a random unicorn shouted.

"Look..." I sighed, "I believe...no...I know that we can all live together in harmony if we just try instead of being guided by rumors that we don't even know whether or not are true."

"Is it possible?"

"Did he just say 'magic?'"

"This is a trick."

"I know it sounds unbelievable," Sunny stepped up, "But...just let us try."

"Please mom," Pipp pleaded to Queen Haven.

"Trust us," Zipp said.

Queen Haven hesitated, stuttering over her words, before coming to a decision.

"Fine," she said with a sigh.

I turned my head back to Sunny and Izzy, and then smiled and nodded to them. The two mares got the message and took out the pegasus and unicorn crystals.

"You're wasting your time, kid," Alphabittle said.

"Ready Izzy?" Sunny asked.

"Ready!" Izzy nodded.

I, along with everypony else present, watched in anticipation as Sunny and Izzy proceeded to join the two crystals together.

And even if nothing happens in the end, then it's okay in the long run. It's better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all.

It's all about taking a leap of faith.

Sunny and Izzy had excited faces as they finally put the two crystals together, showing that they fit perfectly.

And then...nothing.

Nothing happened.

There was no magical explosion, no shimmering or sparkling sounds, or even a simple glow.

There was nothing.

My ears drooped down at this and my face fell.

"It...it..." Sunny stammered in distraught.

"Why didn't it work, daddy?" a unicorn colt asked. I turned my head a bit to see his saddened expression.

"Cause it was all just make-believe," his father answered sadly.

"We can try it again!" Sunny pleaded desperately, "Maybe...maybe w-we did it wrong somehow!"

But nopony wanted to hear any of it, as they all (except for me, the others, Queen Haven, Alphabittle, and my mom) slowly turned and started to walk away.

"Wait...wait, don't go!" Sunny pleaded as she repeatedly took the crystals apart and put them back together, hoping for a different outcome, "Oh, come on...work...work! Please work! Come on!"

Hitch walked up to the saddened mare and placed a hoof on her shoulder.

"Sunny," Sheriff Hitch comforted, "It's okay. You did everything you could."

"I...I thought it would work..." Sunny sobbed, looking up to the stallion, "I was so, so sure of it."

I sat down on my haunches in defeat.

We...failed.

I know I said that it's best to try and fail...but no matter what, failure can still be painful to experience.

"What do we do now?" Zipp asked in sadness.

Apparently accepting defeat, Sunny sadly walked up to Alphabittle and gave him the unicorn crystal, before giving the pegasus crystal to Queen Haven.

"I'm sorry for all the trouble I caused you," Sunny apologized.

"Sunny! We can’t give up!" Pipp spoke up, making Sunny to stop and turn around to look at us.

"I thought that I could make a difference," Sunny cried, glancing at the unicorn colt as he was walking away, "But everywhere I go, I just make things worse."

"That’s not true! We’re all in this together, right?” Izzy asked as she glanced at us, and we all nodded in agreement.

Well...everypony except for me.

I wanted to nod in agreement as well. I wanted to speak up to cheer Sunny up. I wanted to at least smile. Anything to reassure her that things will be okay.

But I didn't. I just sat there with the same upset face that Izzy had last night.

"I'm so sorry I let you all down," Sunny apologized as she began walking away.

Hitch sighed and began following her, but then turned to face us.

"I guess this is goodbye…friends," he said.

"You better hurry, sheriff" Zipp said with sadness, to which the stallion continued to walk away.

As the two earth ponies continued to walk away in defeat, I slowly got up and started to walk in a random direction into the forest.

"Neon, where are you going?" my mom asked out of concern, making me stop in my tracks.

"...I just...need to be alone right now," I said, not even turning to look at her, before walking further into the forest.


After a few minutes of aimless walking, I finally stopped in my tracks and sat against a tree. I looked up towards the sky and started to...look back on everything that we all went through.

Pipp, Zipp, and Queen Haven got exposed for their lies and became criminals.

I helped Pipp escape, my mom helped Queen Haven escape, which resulted in both of us becoming a criminal as well.

We all (sans my mom) caused a ruckus in Bridlewood and almost got mobbed on by a crowd of unicorns.

And for what?

Nothing!

We did all of this crazy stuff for nothing!

...

Well...it wasn't exactly for nothing—

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of hoofsteps approaching me.

I looked at where they were coming from and saw Pipp, Zipp, and Izzy.

"Hey," I greeted with a small smile.

"Hey," Pipp greeted back as she and the other two mares sat down as well.

"You okay, dude? Your mom's concerned about you," Zipp said.

"I know. I'm fine though. I just needed some time to think," I answered before looking at Izzy, "What are you doing here? Aren't you gonna go back Bridlewood?"

"Well...yeah, but..." Izzy stammered sadly before saying, "...I didn't want to leave before saying goodbye to you all."

"Heh. This isn't goodbye. It's just goodbye till next time," I said with a bit of a chuckle as I looked to the ground, but when I didn't hear anypony else chuckling or sounds of agreement, I looked back at Izzy to see her, along with Pipp and Zipp, with saddened expressions, "There's...gonna be a next time, right?"

"I'm...afraid not," Pipp said sadly, "Zipp and I couldn't convince mom to let us visit Bridlewood or Maritime Bay."

"And I couldn't do the same with Alphabittle," Izzy said sadly as well, "So...I guess is it."

My smile fell at this.

I wish they were just screwing with me right, but no. They were serious.

We won't even be able to see Sunny, Izzy, or Hitch again.

They...they were the ones that made this adventure so good.

Not only that I befriended ponies that weren't pegasi, but...before I met them...Pipp and Zipp were the only friends I've ever had.

And just the thought of never seeing them again made me wanna scream.

But then I realized.

Other than Queen Haven and Alphabittle...nothing's really stopping me.

"You know what?" I spoke up before looking at the others with determination, "I don't care."

"What?" Pipp asked.

"I don't care if Queen Haven or Alphabittle isn't allowing us to see Izzy, Sunny, or Hitch ever again! I'll just see you all anyway!" I exclaimed, looking at Izzy, "You all are what made this adventure so awesome! So if I have to sneak into and around Bridlewood and Maritime Bay just to see you all again...then I'll gladly do it! Because I'm not gonna be denied from seeing my friends! Whether anypony else likes it or not!"

After a few seconds of silence, Zipp finally spoke her thoughts.

"Then let's go," she said with a smile as she stood up.

"What? Go where?" Pipp asked.

"To Maritime Bay! Let's go see our friends again!" Zipp responded.

"But what about—?" Pipp tried to ask as she stood up, but her sister interrupted her.

"I know what mom said, but I don't care either!" she said.

"And neither do I!" Izzy exclaimed as she stood up.

"...Okay, fine. I wanna stay friends too," Pipp admitted after a few seconds.

I smiled at how everypony wanted to stick together.

"Well then, I guess we should get going," I said as I stood up, "Izzy, mind showing us the way to Maritime Bay?"

Hey that rhymed.

"You betcha!" Izzy said with glee before she started running off.

As we all followed the energetic unicorn, I glanced to the two pegasus sisters.

"Oh, Pipp? Zipp?" I said, getting their attention, "I uh...I forgive you for...lying to me about being able to fly. I understand you were just trying to make me feel safe."

The two sisters smiled at this.

As we were running towards Maritime Bay, we happened to pass by Queen Haven, Alphabittle, and my mom.

"Izzy!" Alphabittle called out, "Where are you going?"

"Pipp? Zipp?" Queen Haven called after her daughters.

"Neon!" my mom called for me, "Get back here!"

"Sorry Mom!" I called back without any of us stopping.

Maritime Bay, here we come!