• Published 17th Dec 2022
  • 948 Views, 55 Comments

The Tale of Neon Light - DeffBwade



The tale of a pony who will help spread magic and friendship across Equestria. The tale of a pony who will discover that there is more to him than he believes. This is the tale of Neon Light.

  • ...
1
 55
 948

Chapter 15: A Lucid Dream

The Tale of Neon Light

Written by DeffBwade

Chapter 15: A Lucid Dream


"Huh? Wha...?" I muttered as I opened my eyes. It didn't take me until a few seconds for my eyes to fully open, but then became wide upon seeing...or rather...not...seeing...where I was, "W-what the heck?"

I wasn't in my bedroom at all. I was...nowhere. I mean, I'm sure I was somewhere, but everywhere around me was just darkness. Looking around, there were no lights, nopony else to talk to. Nothing to see for miles and miles away, just like the void that appeared during Maretime Bay Day yesterday. The only exception being that I was alone...and not falling, which was good...I think.

"What is this? Where am I?" I asked nopony in particular, looking around my surroundings. I opened my wings to see if they worked, and thankfully they did, "Hello!" I called out as I started flying a bit. After a minute of flying and calling out for help, I decided it was a bust and flew back down to the nonexistent ground, "Okay, Neon. Don't panic. Just recall what you were doing and you could use that to find a way out. You uh...you went to bed...you started having an awesome dream about...something...then you heard a voice...then you ended up here."

Was I...was I still in the void? Was Sunny unable to rescue me? No, that couldn't be the case. If it was, then Posey would be beside me, right? And I most likely would still be falling. And my wings wouldn't be working.

"Did I die? Am I in the bad place?" I asked, panic starting to overcome me.

"Don't worry. You're not dead."

I screamed out of fright and would've turned around to where the sudden voice came from, but it sounded like it was coming from all around me.

"Who said that?! Hello!" I exclaimed, calling out for an answer, "Where are you?!"

"I am nowhere and everywhere at the same time."

"W-what?"

"Hehehe, I'm just kidding," the voice chuckled, "Well, not really since I technically am nowhere and everywhere."

"Oh great, I'm starting to hear voices," I muttered, "I've either gone crazy or I really am dead."

"Again, not dead. As for crazy? Well, we're all crazy in our own way, right?"

"So...is...that a yes to me being crazy...or...?" I asked, but then shook my head, "Okay, seriously! Where are you?" I asked again, wanting an answer as this was starting to freak me out.

"Alright, calm down. Calm down," the voice said in a calming way, seemingly sensing my uneasiness, before I heard from behind me, "Right behind you."

I screamed once again at the voice suddenly sounding from behind me. I turned and saw the pony responsible.

It was a pegasus stallion probably the same age as me, perhaps a little bit older. His fur was a dark gray with bare hooves, the feathers of his wings also being dark gray. His eyes were chocolate brown, and his mane and tail were both black and way spikier than mine were (not that I was judging or anything).

"Sup," the pegasus greeted with a nod.

"Um...hello?" I greeted with an akward wave, "...Who are you? And what is this place?"

"Hmm, how should I put it?" the pegasus questioned himself, "To put it simply, this place...is your mind."

"What?" I asked in confusion, looking around the empty void, "But there's nothing here. Wait, what do you mean we're in my mind?"

"It's exactly as it sounds. We're in your mind. Your subconscious if you will. I just made it so you're mind is clear, which probably explains why it just looks like a void, and that you're more aware of what's going on around you."

"With what? Magic?" I asked in a bit of a joking matter.

"Actually yes."

"Oh... Wait, so...I'm still asleep?" I asked, to which the pegasus nodded. I gestured to all around us and asked, "And this is all just in my head? I'm dreaming?"

"Lucid dreaming to be more specific."

"If this is a dream, then..." I wondered before using a mental image to change my surroundings. The void around us faded away and transformed into that hill with the cherry blossom tree that me and the others passed by during our mission to bring magic back. You gotta admit, it is a pretty nice spot, "Oh, thank the stars that worked. I spent enough time in a void already."

"Woah, this is a pretty nice place," the pegasus said, looking up at the tree we were under, "And you're right. That void was starting to give me the creeps."

"I passed by this tree when I was travelling with some friends," I said with a small smile at the memory, but then put on a serious and suspicious expression, "But in all seriousness, why are you in my mind in the first place? And you still haven't answered one of my first questions. Who are you?"

"Relax. I'm not here to hurt you or take over your brain or something like that," he reassured at my suspicious frown, "To put it bluntly, I'm here because we have work to do. You must be prepared. Trained."

It took a few seconds for my brain to fully process that, but that only led to more confusion and questions.

"...Wha...? Trained? What do you mean trained? Trained for what?"

"I'll explain that in a bit. As for who I am? I'm..." the pegasus was about to introduce himself, but stopped as he started to look a bit woozy

"You alright?" I asked, a bit concerned.

"Y-yeah, sorry. I've just never used magic to influence somepony's dreams before. I guess it's taking a lot more out of me than I thought," he said with a sigh as he shook his head, "How did Princess Luna do this everyday?"

"What?"

"Nothing. I think our time here is up. I guess we have to continue our conversation when you wake up."

"Wait, what you mean by tha—?" I tried to ask, but was silenced as the pegasus placed a hoof on my muzzle.

"Shhhh," he shushed, "Wake up."

"But—"

"Wake up!"


"Huh?! Wha...?!" I yelped as I opened my eyes and quickly sat up. After quickly rubbing my eyes, I looked around and saw that I was in my bed in my apartment. I hopped out of bed and opened my window blinds, letting out a sigh of relief as I saw ponies already going about their day.

As I closed the blinds, my thoughts then turned to that weird dream I had. Many questions were filling my mind.

I've never seen that pony before in my entire life, and there's no way I could've just been making him up since, as he put it, it was a lucid dream.

So who was that pony? Why was he making me have a lucid dream? And what did he need to train me for?

"Was any of that even real?" I questioned, but after thinking about it, I shook my head. I turned and walked over to the bathroom, "No, that couldn't have been real."

I mean, some random pegasus shows up in my dreams and tells me that I need to be trained for something? Even if there's magic in this world, just the thought alone is ridiculous. And even if it was lucid dream, it's still just that. A dream.

I entered the bathroom and turned on the lights. I inspected myself in the mirror to look for any signs of insomnia or craziness.

...Nope. I look perfectly normal.

I then turned the sink on and proceeded to splash water on my face. I think it's important to do that to completely wake yourself up, after all. I opened my eyes and reached over for my face towel, not paying any attention to the pegasus in the reflection, before I dried my face and—

...

...

!!!

I slowly peeked a now wide eye out from the cover my towel...and saw a pegasus in the reflection...standing right behind me.

And it wasn't just any pegasus.

It was the one from my dream.

"Hey," he said with a nod.

I then did the only sensible thing that anypony would do if they suddenly saw an unfamiliar pony standing behind them in a mirror reflection.

I screamed. Very loudly.

"AAAHHH!" I screamed as I threw the towel, not caring where it landed (it ended up landing in the toilet), and ran out of the bathroom, slamming the door behind me. I then ran through the small hallway leading to the living room and proceeded to head to the door.

However, before I could reach it, the pegasus suddenly flew in front of me, blocking my way.

"Woah, woah, woah. Calm down. Calm down," he said, once again in that calming matter, but it wasn't really helping much. But now that I have a good look at him, he appeared...see through...and had some sort of blue aura around him, "Like I said before, I'm not here to harm you. I'm—"

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

"Neon! Neon, open the door!" I heard Cobalt yelling from outside as he continued to knock on the door.

The pegasus turned his head back from the door and to me. Surprisingly, he then moved out of the way and flew over to sit on my couch. At this, I hastily moved to the door and opened it, seeing Cobalt with a protective looking face.

"Neon, I heard screaming. You alright?" Cobalt bluntly asked.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised he was able to hear me. I must have a louder voice than I thought.

"T-there's—" I said, pointing at the pegasus casually chilling on the couch.

"No point pointing me out, dude. He can't see me."

"W-wha...?" I thought as I glanced at the pegasus, wondering what he meant by that. But then I looked back at Cobalt, who was looking behind me and in the direction of the aforementioned pegasus. But at the same time, he was acting in a way as if he was looking for somepony.

"There's what? Is there an intruder here?" he asked.

"What's going on? He can't see him?" I questioned, now with a face that was more confused than out of panic.

"...N-no. Sorry. I just saw a...a big spider and it freaked me out," I lied, making sure to act like I really did see a spider (freaked out yet calm at the same time, if that makes sense), "I'm just really not a fan of spiders. Again, sorry for screaming so loudly."

For a second, I thought Cobalt he doubted as he raised an eyebrow at my answer, but then he let out a sigh and stopped giving me that look of doubt.

While I'm not proud of it, it's good to be a good liar sometimes. And it's not like you can blame me for lying. If Cobalt really couldn't see the pegasus then he'd think I was crazy.

...Maybe Cobalt is crazy?

"As long as you're not in danger or anything," he said.

"Oh no, I'm good," I said, acting as if I finally calmed downed from seeing a spider, despite the fact that I'm still freaked out.

"...Okay then," Cobalt said, once again with a raised an eyebrow. He did a double take of my apartment, and then turned around and headed back into his apartment.

As soon as the door to his apartment closed, I slowly closed the door to mine.

"You're neighbor seems cool," the pegasus said, causing me to turn back to him as he's still casually sitting on my couch and was even slouching.

"Alright. I have questions and somepony's gonna answer them right now whether they like it or not."

"What the heck was that?" I asked bluntly, wanting him to get to the point, "How come Cobalt wasn't able to see you?"

"Oh, that unicorn isn't the only pony that can't see me," he replied before pointing at me, "In fact, you're the only one that can see me."

"...That's it. I've officially gone crazy."

"You're not crazy. And before you ask, yes, I am some sort of ghost. I mean, just look at me. I'm see through and have a glowing blue aura," he said, gesturing to himself, but it wasn't really helping to be honest, " But you're still not crazy! You just have that special magic inside of you."

"...Special magic?" I asked, confused, "What special magic?"

"Hmm, I'm glad you asked," the pegasus said with a smile as he sat up, "Tell me, have you been feeling some sort of...sensation lately? Like your body has been feeling all tingly...yet relaxed at the same time?"

"Sensation? Tingly and relaxed?" I thought with a questioning gaze, not sure what he was referring to...but then remembered yesterday.


The day before


"Hey, Neon? You alright?" Zipp asked with a worried gaze, the others looking at me in turn.

"Hmm?" I muttered, glancing at the pegasus mare, "Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

"You're acting a little...fidgety there," Zipp pointed out, causing me to look down and saw that my body was actually fidgeting a bit, just enough to be noticeable.

"Yeah, I've noticed that too," Sunny commented in a worried tone, "In fact, you've been like that since after the festival. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Hmm," Izzy said as she rubbed a hoof on her chin and analyzed me, before she smiled, "Maybe you're just cold!" she cheerily theorized before she ran away and came back with a blanket and draped it over me, "Here you go!"

"Umm...thanks Izzy, but...I'm not cold at all," I said with a small smile as I took the blanket off me and folded it nicely. After all, it's been quite sunny since the magic glitching out problem was resolved, "I guess I'm just...shaken up...over what happened during the festival."

At the time, I wasn't sure whether or not that was actually the truth. My body didn't feel numb, didn't feel hurt, and didn't even feel shaken up, but I had no other explanation.

At my response, my friends dropped it and eventually my body stopped fidgeting, to which I decided to forget about it.


"Y-yes, actually," I answered, "Just yesterday, in fact."

"That's that special magic flowing through you. Let me give you a little history lesson," he said, and as much as I didn't wanna listen to some boring old history lesson (because I hate history), I felt like I had to hear him out, "Long ago, there were six ponies that were the best of friends. These ponies' friendship bonds was so strong, so powerful that they were able to utilize a special magic that I refer to as Harmony Magic, which, as the name applies, comes from harmony and friendship."

"Magic that comes from harmony and friendship? Are you referring to Unity Magic?" I questioned at the familiarity. At the pegasus's confusion, I explained, "You know, the magic that gives each pony tribes their respective magics?"

It was Sunny that came with that name, by the way.

"Oh no. No, Harmony Magic is much more powerful. It has the potential to banish evil and whatnot. Anyways, with Harmony Magic, the six ponies were able to defeat numerous villains that sought to destroy friendship and create disharmony in Equestria. And they weren't the only ones that were capable of using Harmony Magic. But here's the thing, such magic can't be used like a unicorn levitating something or a pegasus flying in the skies. There has to be good reason for it to be used, such as cleansing a corrupted villain for example, and more importantly, you have to be worthy. Chosen," he explained before smirking, "And guess who just so happened to be worthy?"

"You?" I guessed.

"Ding ding! Ye be correct. But here's where it gets really interesting. I wasn't able to just utilize Harmony Magic. I was able to control it. Influence it as long as it was for the right reasons. I guess you can consider me as some sort of conduit," he said before thinking, "Hey, that actually has a nice touch. A Conduit. Although I don't think I can legally use that name."

"Look..." I said, interrupting the pegasus, "That was a cool story and all...but it there a point to all of this?"

If I'm being honest, I thought this was all just crazy talk. I mean, I've never heard of whatever this Harmony Magic is.

Then again, there's still plenty to learn about magic in general. And I've definitely never seen a ghost before in my life.

"I'll answer that question with more questions," the pegasus said as he leaned on the armrest of the couch, "Why do you think I told you this story in the first place? Why do you think I came here, and even went as far as go into your dreams? Why do you think you're the only pony that can see me? Why were you feeling an unfamiliar sensation yesterday? Why do you think I said 'special magic flowing through you?'" he asked before muttering, "That was a lot of questions. I apologize," I didn't understand where he was going at first, but after a few seconds the realization came to me. Upon seeing my face, the pegasus calmly said, "It's because you're capable of wielding the power of Harmony Magic."

"...W-what?" I muttered as I sat on my haunches, "I...I don't understand."

"Hmm, perhaps a demonstration is in order," the pegasus said, getting up from the couch and sitting in front of me, "Close your eyes."

"W-why?"

"Just do it," he said firmly, prompting me to close my eyes, "Now what I want you to do is focus. Take a deep breath and clear your mind of any negative thoughts."

"This feels stupid, but...whatever," I thought as I took a deep breath and started to...think positive, I guess?

"Now...look deep inside you. Feel the magic coursing within you."

I took another deep breath as I continued to focus on...whatever it is I need to focus on. I was about to call it quits and voice my thoughts, but then...I felt something. A sort of spark, I guess you could say, but it was a powerful one. Almost too powerful. It was actually overwhelmi—

I opened my eyes with a gasp, unaware that my eyes were glowing cyan but then faded back to their usual bronze color.

"You see what I'm talking about now?" the pegasus asked with a smirk.

"Wha...what was that?" I asked as I was catching my breath. That single spark just felt so intense that I could barely handle it.

"That was Harmony Magic. But like I said, it's so powerful that almost nopony can directly harness it," he explained, "But that's why I'm here. To train you to...well, harness it."

I swear, this is just getting crazier and crazier by the second. After feeling that spark, I was more or less accepting this. Don't ask me why, though.

"But...why?" I asked, "Why...am I capable? Surely there's somepony else that's more worthy! L-like Sunny! She was pretty much the first pony to becomes friends with a non-earth pony, despite the fears we used to have. Surely she's a better op—"

"Look..." the pegasus sighed, interrupting me, "I didn't enter your mind just to talk to you. I was also looking into your heart and soul, assessing who you are as a pony. And who I saw was somepony caring, tenacious, willing to see the good in others. We wouldn't be having this conversation right now if you weren't worthy."

"...But how do you know that I'm the right po—"

"I don't know how. I just do."

This was all too much for me. Harmony Magic? Being worthy of harnessing it? Having to be trained?

But probably the biggest mystery right now was this pegasus.

Just who was he exactly?

...

...There's only pony that would have that answer.

"...I...I need to talk to Sunny about this," I said as I stood up and gathered my belongings, "She might have some information on this whole thing."

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I'm sure it's a lot to take in," the pegasus said before he blocked my way before I could leave my apartment, "Before we leave, though, could we finally get introductions out of the way?"

"Oh...sure," I said before pointing to myself, "Neon Light."

"Neon Light. Cool name. It certainly matches your whole color scheme," the pegasus complimented as he flew around me. As he did so, I was finally able to get a good look at his cutie mark.

It looked...quite similar to mine.

Like mine, it was a smiling face, but it was all colored cyan. The eyes were instead shaped like circles with dots in the middle and lines running through them. The mouth was shaped like a crescent and there were lines to represent teeth, I think, and there were splotches on one side.

The pegasus then flew in front of me before pointing to himself.

"Name's Apex Legion," he introduced, "But my friends just refer to me as Legion."

Author's Note:

That's right everyone. The Apex Legion is back!

You know how it says that there's a few chapters that take place in G4. Well, now you know why.

Before you ask, reading The Adventure of the Apex Legion is NOT required, but I recommend that you do so anyway (if you want to).

Not honestly, I didn't think about using this trope at first, but then I remembered that this is fanfiction. I gotta start putting some originality.

And look. It only took me about a week to release the next chapter. Hooray me!

Anyways, hope you all enjoyed this chapter and see you all next time. Peace.