• Published 17th Dec 2022
  • 949 Views, 55 Comments

The Tale of Neon Light - DeffBwade



The tale of a pony who will help spread magic and friendship across Equestria. The tale of a pony who will discover that there is more to him than he believes. This is the tale of Neon Light.

  • ...
1
 55
 949

Chapter 10: A New Home

The Tale of Neon Light

Written by DeffBwade

Chapter 10: A New Home


"Welcome to the home of our dreams!" Sunny announced with enthusiasm, as she and the rest of us admired the building that used to be the lighthouse.

The building was bigger than what it used to be. It was painted pastel blue with a turquoise ceiling and white trim. The front door was pink and framed by an arch of stained glass windows that displayed pictures of ponies, animals, flowers, etc. And as a finishing touch, there was a replica of the 3 crystals that helped bring magic back, or the Unity Crystals is what we're calling them.

But then, a giant crab suddenly came stomping up to the Brighthouse, hitting the roof with its claws and breaking it in half with a mighty roar!

OH MY STARS! SOUND THE ALARMS! WE'RE UNDER ATTA—

Hah, I'm just messing with you.

You were just looking at a model and the crab that broke it was normal sized.

Bet you thought what just happened was real, didn't you?

"Cool it, McSnips-a-lot," Hitch whispered to the crab as he picked up with a nervous laugh. McSnips-a-lot, in turn, snipped off a piece of the stallion's mane, leaving him unamused at his actions.

"Forget the model. We're going to make the real Crystal Brighthouse perfect!" she said with excitement, pointing to the real Brighthouse that was right next to us.

"It kinda looks like a giant—" I thought before stopping myself, "You know what? Never mind."

You might be asking yourself...why didn't I chose to live to here instead of an apartment? Surely the others wouldn't mind.

And yeah, you're right. The others wouldn't mind if I stayed here, but...well...

"Then we can spend every minute of every day together for the rest of our lives!" Izzy said excitedly with a squeal and sparkling eyes.

Zipp, however, laughed nervously at that.

"What?" she asked with a nervous smile.

Yeah... That pretty much sums it up.

I mean, no offense or anything!

I just don't think that the others would get much quietness living with a pony that talks a lot and yells whenever he streams or records almost everyday. Let's just say I'm practically a different pony when I play video games.

And also I'm the type of pony that appreciates having some privacy. My own fortress of solitude, you could call it.

Not for the reasons you think!

"It's going to be iiiicooooniiiic-kuh~!" Pipp exclaimed, singing out the last word.

"And I'm gonna teach this little fella how to build a shelf!" Hitch spoke up as he picked up a wrench with his hoof and started spinning it around, "You know, I'm actually pretty hoovesy!" he said, but then he dropped the wrenched, destroying what remained of the model. "Whoops..."

"Hey, Neon? Are you sure it's alright if we do this now?" Sunny asked me, "You know we could work on this later to help you get settled into your new apartment."

"Nah, it's fine. The movers said they'll text me when they arrive at my apartment building, which should be in about..." I said, checking the time on my phone, "...an hour or so. So we got time."

"Oh, okay. There's a lot to get done, but we can do anything if we work together!" Sunny said, walking towards the supplies for some final decorations, "Now, I think if we just—" but before she could finish, Hitch, Izzy, Zipp, and Pipp ran by and took some of the supplies and ran into the Brighthouse, catching Sunny and I off guard.

"Talk about enthusiasm," I commented.

"I know. I like it!" Sunny said with a smile before she ran after the others, "Wait up, roomies!"

I simply shrugged before following. I entered the Brighthouse and saw everypony running back and forth, just doing their own thing.

"Hello, Pippsqueaks! And welcome to the ultimate D.I.Y. home makeoveeeer!" Pipp said as she was livestreaming on her phone (cause why not?).

"Welp, the others seem to know what they're doing," I thought as I noticed a broom right next to me, "I guess I'll just...sweep. After all, cleanliness is...something."


Zipp was flying all around the place in zig-zags while also painting all around the place, albeit messily.

Izzy was also painting (also messily) with the brush in her hoof and the paint jar being held with her magic. She nearly dropped and spilled it when she saw Sunny coming to her, but Sunny caught the paint jar just in time. "Hey, this is looking great!" Izzy said, as she and looked at her progress with Sunny.

Hitch was looking instructions on how to build a shelf, while also showing McSnips-a-lot, with Sunny coming up to him with a smile. Hitch pulled out a measuring tape, but McSnips-a-lot snapped the tape with his claws, prompting Sunny to walk away with a worried look, and Hitch to feel irritated with McSnips-a-lot keeping snipping his things.

Sunny and Neon were sweeping the floors to get rid of all the dust and dirt, while the others kept going with their tasks. Zipp kept painting while flying around, Izzy kept painting while running around, Hitch was trying to catch McSnips-a-lot to teach him more about the setting up the shelve thing and also to make sure that he wouldn't snip anything else in the Brighthouse, and Pipp kept livestreaming her progress with her phone while holding a wallpaper.

As mentioned, Izzy's paint job was messy and had no specific order.

Hitch was inspecting a piece of the shelf, but then threw it away for some reason and brought out his wrench, while McSnips-a-lot grabbed a hammer and hammered a nail into the wood.

Unbeknownst to him, said shelf he threw away almost hit Neon as he was sweeping. Luckily, he managed to see it and duck down to the ground with a yelp.

Sunny saw what her friends were doing and started to get worried, especially as Izzy levitated her paint bucket and just chucked the paint onto the wall.

Zipp stopped what she was doing as she realized her paint job was in zig-zags rather than just covering the whole wall. A bird then flew through an open window and got stuck onto the wall where some paint was. The white pegasus became confused at this and looked at what kind of paint she was using, only to realize that it wasn't paint at all but instead glue, causing her to chuckle in embarrassment.

Neon was sweeping away with all his might as Pipp flew by while still livestreaming.

"This blank canvas is getting the royal treatment!" Pipp announced as she flew in a circle around Neon, but the wind current blew the pile of dirt that Neon just swept up right onto his head, "Big dreams for such a tiny little price!"

Neon coughed as some of the dirt got into his mouth, and then gave a slight glare to the pink pegasus.

"Dude!" he said with irritation as he tried to wipe away all of the dirt in his mane.

"It needs more! More!" Izzy cheered with sparkling eyes as she kept splattering the walls with different colors of paint. Sunny ducked before a paint splatter could hit her, but another paint splatter messed up a portrait, causing Sunny’s to try to rub the paint off.

Another paint splatter ended up hitting Neon in the face, almost immediately making his eyes sting.

"AH! MY EYES!" he yelled as he tried to wipe the paint off, only to make it worse for him. He then ran over to the kitchen sink in hopes to wash it off whilst the others somehow remained oblivious.

Hitch was having trouble setting up the shelf, with McSnips-a-lot standing on it and causing it to tilt, which caused the stallion to drop to the floor with a yelp.

"Fan art~!" Pipp sang as she put up pictures of herself on the walls, but then Zipp flew by and stuck wallpaper on the walls, with the pictures in the process, "Hey!"

As Pipp went to go give her sister a talking to, she failed to notice that Zipp ended up sticking Neon to the wall with the wallpaper as he just finished cleaning out his eyes.

"Seriously?!" he grumbled before Sunny, being the only one to notice, rushed over and freed him, "*Sigh* Thanks."

"Uh, ponies? I think we're losing focus here!" Sunny told the other as she turned to them, but nopony was really listening.

"McSnips-a-lot!" Hitch lectured as he finally caught the crab that carrying his measuring tape away.

Sunny then shouted and ducked as a floating chair nearly hit her. She turned to see Izzy sweeping the floor with her right rear leg, carrying dishes with her left front hoof, and levitating the chair with her magic.

"Multitasking!" she said.

"Design hack!" Pipp commented as she putt a wallpaper on the wall. "Picture wall!"

Sunny's jaw was dropped at this point at her friends...to put it bluntly...being messy. Well, everypony besides Neon, who turned just in time to see that a chair was about to hit a plant, and managed to catch it before it could fall to the ground.

"Aaahh!" Zipp yelled as she was wrapped up in wallpaper, causing her to wobble around and fall to the ground.

"How...much...further?!" Pipp panted as she was trying to push her (heavy) throne up the stairs, with Cloudpuff guiding her with safety signal sticks.

"What about my automatic breakfast butler bot?" Izzy asked, referring to her machine that started to spit out pancakes. One of said pancakes smacked into Neon's face, causing him to remove it and curiously take a bite.

"Mmm. Not bad," he complimented.

Zipp then got tangled on the ceiling lights, as she hung upside down with McSnips-a-lot hopping onto one of her hooves.

"Help!" she called out while struggling.

"Help!" Hitch called out, as he was hammering the shelf and having trouble setting it.

"My ice sculpture's melting!" Pipp cried out as the ice sculpture of herself in a pose was starting to melt.

"Why did you even bring that?" Neon asked with a questioning gaze, causing the pink pegasus to chuckle nervously.

"Glitter!" Izzy announced as she ran around throwing glitter into the air, then at the fridge. "Glitter!" then at the same picture she splattered paint on, "Glitter!" then to a bird stuck on a wall, "Glitter!" and finally she put glitter on Sunny's face. "Glitter~!" she sang, as she twirled away from the apricot mare, who was looking both shocked and concerned at the same time.

Sunny went to check out the rest of the Brighthouse, but regretted it the more she looked. Her expression became more and more freaked out as she saw the living room a mess, and then the bedroom where she plopped to the floor with a shock expression. She then checked out the bathroom, which was surprisingly intact and clean.

"Oh. That's actually quite nice," Sunny said with a smile, relieved that at least one of the rooms was—

"Glitter! Glitter! Glitter!" Izzy shouted, as she came in and threw glitter all over the bathroom.

While she was trying her best to stay calm, Sunny's eye began to twitch due to all the chaos.


"Phew. I think that's the last of the dust," I thought as I swept the remaining grime out of the door. I wiped my forehead and placed the broom back. I looked back and..., "Holy crap."

To put it bluntly, the place was a mess. A total crap show. Paint was splattered all over the walls, lights were hanging from the ceiling, wallpapers were scattered all over the place, yada yada.

"Uh...I don't think this is how things were supposed to go," I said as I walked up to Sunny, who was merely staring at the chaos.

"And I'm not just saying that because I got a mouth full of dust, paint in my eyes, stuck between some wallpaper and the wall, and got hit in the face by an alright pancake."

"I can't get it straight!" Hitch shouted as he plopped to the floor.

"What about the breakfast bot?!" Izzy yelled, not knowing what to do with said bot.

"Can somepony get me down?" Zipp asked as she was tangled in wallpaper and hanging upside down due to being tangled in the lights of the ceiling.

Pipp was just flying around in a panicked state.

"Ponies!" Sunny called out, trying to calm them all down.

I just stared at everything with slightly wide eyes.

"I'll uh...I'll try my best to calm everything down," I said as I was about to step, but saw that a flying pancake nearly hit Pipp as she ducked out of the way, and it instead hit the picture of Sunny and her father, making it tilt.

"No!" Sunny gasped as she leapt and caught the picture just before it hit the ground. She, as well as I, sighed in relief while hugging the picture before looking at all the chaos before us and then ran to the bedroom.


Sunny closed the door behind her as she ran into the bedroom and laid her head on it. She looked back and around the room and saw that it was also messy.

"I don't understand," Sunny said to herself as she put the picture of her and her dad on the front of her bed.

KNOCK KNOCK

Sunny's ear rose at knocks on the door, before it opened and Neon peeked inside.

"Hey," he greeted with a small smile.

"Hey, Neon..." she said a bit dejectedly.

"You uh...you okay?" Neon asked as he walked inside and closed the door, clearly worried about the apricot mare.

"For the most part..." she admitted,

"Good. Good," he said with a nod, "Just wanted to make sure."

"I thought working together would be easy, but it turns out it's super messy!" Sunny said as a piece of paper got to stuck to her hoof, which took a hard time to shake off.

"Oh come on. It's not too bad," Neon said with a reassuring smile before a wallpaper piece fell down and covered his face, "Aw who am I kidding? It's a mess..." he said with a sigh as he removed the wallpaper, "Look, I'm gonna try to get everything under control and stop the others from...you know, making even more of a mess. Just come down when you're ready," he said before leaving the room.

Sunny let out a sigh as she sat down next to her dad's picture and held it.

"I wish you were here, dad. You always knew how to bring out the best in me. And right now, I really need my best," she said. She glanced around the messy room once again and then dipped her head in sadness, but then she had an epiphany, "Wait, maybe that's what my friends need me to do! To bring them together. To bring out their best!"

Sunny kissed the picture and put it down before walking to the door and taking one last look at the photo with a smile.

"Thanks, dad" she said, opening the door and exiting the room.


"Do I even want to know how you managed to get yourself stuck like this?" Neon asked with a deadpan expression as he was trying to untie Zipp who was still tangled up in wallpaper and lights. Meanwhile, Hitch was biting on a shelf in frustration, Pipp was happily livestreaming a bathtub that was bedazzled with gems and had Cloudpuff inside it, and Izzy levitating said bathtub.

"Nope," Zipp said in a matter of fact kind of manner with a stern expression.

"Okay, everypony! Just stop!" Sunny called out as she arrived with a serious expression, causing the others to go silent and look at her in shock. Izzy stopped levitating the bathtub, causing it to fall with a loud thud, and Pipp turned her livestream off. Sunny continued in a calm manner, "Look, I love how much energy you're bringing to this. But this is supposed to bring us together, not pull us apart. And right now…" she said as she gestured around the completely messy Brighthouse. One of the windows was covered in paint, a wallpaper piece fell to the floor, Izzy's breakfast bot (patent pending) was rolling around until it slipped and fell on the floor thanks to the mess, and the bird from earlier was still glued to the wall.

"It's a mess..." Zipp admitted as she got up, having finally gotten free from her wallpaper prison.

"Yeah, I-I-I didn't want to say anything..." Izzy confessed with a frown

"I'm in way over my head!" Hitch added.

"This is a total makeover fail!" Pipp dramatically called out.

"Mmhm," Neon said with a nod...before a pancake that was stuck on the ceiling (somehow) fell and landed on his face.

"It's not a fail. It's a...work-in-progress!" Sunny reassured, her words causing the others to start smiling, "Come on, everypony. We can do this…together!"

Thanks to Sunny's motivating words, everypony was finally able to focus on working together to make the Brighthouse...bright.

Izzy was levitating various furniture, with Hitch guiding her where to put them. Once he determined the spot, Izzy put the furniture...albeit still with a thud, but no harm, no foul.

Zipp was flying around putting up the lights nicely.

Sunny was placing down pillows on the couch, with McSnips-a-lot pounding them to fluff them up.

Pipp removed the portraits of herself, while Sunny put up a childhood drawings of what the lighthouse used to look like, with a rainbow next to it on a sunny day.

Zipp used her wings to blow away a ton of dirt into a dirt shovel that Neon was holding, prompting the two ponies to smile and high hoof each other.

In the bedroom, Sunny placed a photo of her and her dad on the nightstand next to her bed, while Pipp placed one of her picture frames on hers. The two mares then looked at each other with smiles on their faces.

Hitch was (somehow) using McSnips-a-lot as a power drill to screw in a nail so the shelf he was working on could stay in place.

Back in the bedroom, the group had some stains on them as they finally finished up the Brighthouse.

Pipp then flew in front of the group with her phone on a hoof. Getting the hint, the rest came close to Pipp’s phone camera line.

"Say 'besties'!" Pipp called out as the camera clicked and snapped the group together in a photo.


Oh, the wonders of technology.

Whoever invented the idea of printing out photos from your phone, I applaud you.

A printed out and framed picture of us (the one that Pipp took) was the final touch to finishing up the Brighthouse. From the outside, a bright and shining rainbow was acting like a beacon of friendship for all of Equestria to see. On the inside, a nice glass elevator sat in the middle of the bedroom where the beds of Sunny, Izzy, Pipp, and Zipp matched their personalities.

And hey. No mess. Bonus.

"It's even better than I imagined!" Sunny said with glee as she and the rest of us looked around the place.

"And it's all thanks to power of te-amwork," I said.

"You mean 'teamwork?'" Hitch asked.

"That's what I said," I said nonchalantly.

As we continued to look around the place, a loud pounding was heard, startling us and prompting us to look around for the source. We looked at the stairway and saw McSnips-a-lot pounding on it.

"Wha—...uh...how?" I questioned the crab's incredible strength.

"Leave it, McSnips-a-lot!" Hitch lectured. The little crab stopped to look at him for a moment, but then continued on at a faster paste. Hitch facehooved himself at this.

"I'm...sure he'll stop eventually," I said...only for a pancake to fall and land on my face.


After finishing up the Brighthouse, we waited some time before I got a text from the moving ponies.

Which brings us to where the others and I are moving my stuff into my brand new apartment. It was more or less as standard as my previous one: living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, you get the gist.

Although, now I wish I got one on the first or second floor instead of the fourth.

Why?

Because bringing all my stuff up three flights stairs is tiring, especially the stuff that were kind of heavy and required care. Luckily there's also an elevator so bringing the fridge up was easy.

Although the same couldn't be said about the couch. That one took a quite a bit of team effort and Hitch constantly telling us to pivot as were bringing it up the stairs, to which I told him to shut up (obviously I didn't say that).

After finally getting it up the stairs, we did pretty much what we did earlier: sweep up any dust, unpack my stuff despite me telling them that I've got it, yada yada yada, I don't wish to bore you, etc. etc.

"And...that's the last box," I said as I placed the last empty box with the others in a corner of the room. The place was clean, the living room was prepped, kitchen supplies have been placed in the kitchen, my bed was made, even my gaming setup was...set up. I let out a sigh of relief as I turned to the others, "Thanks so much for helping me unpack my stuff, guys. You all really didn't have to do this."

"It was no problem," Zipp said.

"Yeah. We weren't about to let you do all this by yourself," Sunny added with a smile, "After all, what are friends for?"

I smiled back at this.

This feels...nice.

What would've taken me probably a couple of hours to do by myself was instead a little less than an hour thanks to the others.

My friends.