• Published 15th Oct 2022
  • 431 Views, 111 Comments

Sparkling Harmony EQG: Agents of SMILE: Operation Sundown - Captain_Cosmos



It's the Halloween Dance and Sparkler and her friends are gearing up for a fun night. But a blast from the past threatens to destroy it all

  • ...
5
 111
 431

Episode 4: Operation Sundown PT 1

Canterlot High
Canterlot City
October 31st, 2022
1810hrs

A lot of thoughts were running through everyone’s mind as they stared in disbelief that Sundown was back. The majority of the people in the gym were remembering the FIRST time Sundown made an appearance. The remaining main 7 were trying to figure out how Sundown coulda possibly returned, and Autumn and Sparkler, as well as fellow agents Lyra, Bonbon, Microchip, and McCain, who was a chaperone, were all thinking the same thing.

This is bad. Very, VERY bad!

Meanwhile, Sundown was laughing Maniacally. “Mwahahahaha! Oh it feels good to be back!” She said as she landed on her feet on the floor. “I do hope I was missed. Heheheh.” She chuckled, though NO ONE else laughed.

“Sunset Shimmer!” Boomed a commanding voice. Everyone turned to see Principal Celestia walking towards Sundown, clearly believing that it was actually Sunset and not the evil demon. “Sunset, if this is your idea of a practical joke, great. You got us. Now you can drop the—“

“SHUT UP!” Sundown cut Celestia off in a roar, and used her magic to knock Celestia back into the crowd. Everyone gasped while Sundown laughed. “Oh. This is no joke. Sunset is no longer in control. I am my own entity now! Mwahahaha!”

Hearing that, Fluttershy gulped. “What are we going to do?” She asked meekly.

“If what she said was true, we don’t have Sunset so we can’t Rainbow blast her like last time.” Applejack whispered.

“Do we call Princess Twilight?” Rarity asked.

Sparkler and Autumn sneaked a glance at each other, both coming to the conclusion that they may very well need to break out the Spy stuff to fight Sundown.

Sundown meanwhile decided to cut to the chase. “Now! Before anything else, WHERE IS SPARKLING MEDLEY!” She growled. “She and I have business!”

Twilight heard that and stepped in front of her protectively. Sparkler’s mind meanwhile raced. She wants me? I’m not the one who defeated her last time…

“Why would you want Sparkling as Medley?” Piped up Bonbon, who was with Lyra on the dance floor. “She wasn’t here the last time you were defeated.”

Sundown laughed. “Because I am going to do what my weak goody two shoes counterpart failed to do and seduce her, making her mine forever!” Sundown laughed. “And I WILL destroy that Twilight Sparkle for stealing her from us!” She added with a growl.

Everyone heard a loud gasp, before a girl growling. “Back off Sundown! She’s mine!” Everyone heard Twilight growl at Sundown.

Sundown turned around and saw exactly who she was looking for. Everyone at their table stared at Twilight, who glanced around, saw the expressions on their faces, and shrugged. “What? She wants my girlfriend. Can’t blame me for being just a tad possessive.” She said.

“Yeah. But now she found you.” Rainbow pointed out.

Sundown laughed as she rose into the air, hovering over the dance. “THERE you are! And now you’re mine!” Sundown growled as she released a shockwave of magic that swept through everyone.

Sparkler and her friends watched as their fellow students’ and the faculty present’s eyes changed to solid glowing green, being completely hypnotized by Sundown. Leaving only Sparkler and the remaining main 7 unaffected. Sundown laughed. “And now my loyal zombies! Seize them!” She growled, pointing at Sparkler and her friends.

Her zombies all turned to where their targets stood, and Rainbow, Fluttershy and Pinkie noticed their boyfriends were affected too. “Eep! Discord! What are you doing?” She asked as she backed away.

Sparkler saw Autumn affected too, and glanced around and saw that Lyra, Bonbon, Microchip and Chase were as well. Crud. She thought. She was the only agent left. She glanced around to her friends, who were trying to keep away from the zombies while still trying to process what was happening, and her mind was made up. “Everyone be prepared to run!” She exclaimed as she grabbed a device from her sash.

“What? Sparkler what do you—“ Twilight began before Sparkler threw down the sphere and it released a GIANT puff of smoke that filled the room. Twilight’s vision quickly filled with smoke and she couldn’t see anything. After a sec, she felt Sparkler grab her hand and pull her along. “RUN!” She called out.

Rarity, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie heard her and started running, fortunately they found the exit and left the gym.

Sundown growled and swept her hand, clearing all the smoke in no time. When she was able to see again, she saw that her prey had escaped. Sundown just smirked. “Run run run as fast as you can. You can’t escape me.” She said. She looked down at the Geode of Empathy. “With this Geode, I shall control all!”


Soon, Sparkler peeked out the window of a closed and locked door. She didn’t see anyone coming, and sighed in relief as she sank back down and turned to Twilight and her friends, who all managed to meet up in the band room. “Ok, we’re clear.” She said.

“Sparkler? Did you just use a smoke bomb?” Twilight asked. Wondering where Sparkler got that.

“It was the only way we could get out of there.” Sparkler responded. Here it comes. Sparkler thought. She knew her charade was cracking now.

“Where did you—“ Twilight started before being cut off by Rainbow.

“We got bigger problems Twi. HOW is Sundown back?!” She asked frantically.

“And HOW is she able to do what she just did?! She doesn’t have the magic crown from last time.” Applejack asked.

“Uhm, I did notice that she was wearing Sunset’s geode.” Fluttershy commented.

Everyone looked at her, and then at each other, all realizing the same thing. If Sundown had control of Sunset’s Geode, they were in more trouble than they realized.

“Ok…so she has her geode. That brings up another question. How were we not affected?” Rarity asked. “Her hypnotizing shockwave hit us, but nothing happened.”

“Did our own geodes protect us?” Pinkie asked.

“I…think so? I mean nothing else explains how we’re not zombies right now.” Twilight. said. “Although that doesn’t explain why SPARKLER was unaffected.” She added as she glanced at her girlfriend. “You don’t have a Geode.” She said.

“Yeah…it’s strange.” Sparkler said. Now that she thought about it, she should’ve been brainwashed, but she wasn’t.

Applejack nodded. “Ok. So what are we going to do y’all?” She asked.

“We’re gonna kick Sundown’s butt that’s what!” Pinkie responded enthusiastically.

“Yeah. But HOW Pinks?” Rainbow asked. “We can’t laser her like last time.” She said.

“We can’t just sit around though.” Fluttershy said. “Sunset needs us.” She said.

“And everyone else.” Rarity said. “We cannot just let Sundown control the whole student body again.”

“So what do—“

At that moment, Sparkler’s watch started ringing, and soon a male voice came through it. “Agent Medley! Do you copy? We’ve lost contact with four agents at Canterlot High. Come in Medley!” Said the voice of Derrick.

Sparkler stiffened as the watch kept ringing. Fortunately Flappy muted the director after that, but while everyone else knew what that was all about, Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Sparkler? What was that?” She asked.

Sparkler opened her mouth to say nothing, but before she could, Pinkie interrupted her. “Sparkler, you can’t hide anymore. We don’t have many options. We need SMILE.” She said.

“SMILE?” Twilight asked. “That organization that’s kinda an open secret? Sparkler, what's she talking about?” She asked.

Sparkler, at that moment, wanted to come clean, but something was preventing her. Something that she couldn’t control. Fear. She was scared. Scared that Sundown was unbeatable, scared that Twilight wouldn’t survive, and most of all, she was scared she’d lose Twilight forever for lying to her this whole time.

Sparkler’s fear was clear as day in her expression, Twilight bit her lip, before smiling at Sparkler, a kind, genuine smile. “Sparkler, whatever it is, you can tell me. No matter what it is, I’m here to listen.” She assured Sparkler.

That seemed to get through, and Sparkler sighed, her eyes glistening. “Let’s get through this first, and at the end of it all I’ll tell you everything. But please, understand that this isn’t how I wanted you to find out.” She said. She raised her watch and tapped it.

Everyone watched as the watch projected a miniature man on the floor, a nicely dressed middle aged man. The man looked Directly at Sparkler. “Agent Medley. Thank goodness you answered. We just detected a MASSIVE magical spike at Canterlot High. What’s the situation?” He asked.

“Director Derrick.” Sparkler said. “We have a code Sundown on our hands.” She reported.

“What?!” Derrick responded, shocked. “Sundown Shimmer?! How?” He asked.

“I don’t know sir. But she’s back. She brainwashed everyone at the school except for me and the remaining six Geodes of Harmony.” Sparkler explained.

“Crud.” Derrick said. “That could not have come at a worse time. FOWL is causing a ruckus so we can’t send reinforcements to you.” He said. “I’m afraid you’re on your own.”

“Understood sir. Don’t worry. We’ll find a way to stop her.” Sparkler said. FOWL. Of course it’s always FOWL.

“Keep me posted on events as they unfold agent Medley. It’s SMILE time.” Derrick told Sparkler.

“SMILE is go.” Sparkler responded. With that, Derrick disappeared, and Sparkler took a deep breath. “Flappy, SMILE me up. Tango Oscar 0963.” She said.

“Activating mission gear.” Flappy responded. Everyone watched as Sparkker’s catsuit started glowing with blue stripes, and holographic display things appeared over both her forearms. A helmet also materialized on her head.

Twilight watched in amazement, confusion, and realization as her girlfriend was kitted out. In that moment, she put the pieces together. “No…way.” She said. “You…you’re—“

“A secret agent…yes.” Sparkler responded.

Twilight was at a loss for words. A million questions formed in her mind, but before she could ask, Sparkler spoke up. “Like I said. I’ll explain everything later but right now we have more immediate concerns.” She said.

Agreeing with Sparkler, Twilight nodded.

“Alright Sparks.” Rainbow said. “Now that you’re unrestricted. What juicy SMILE plans ya got?” She asked, rubbing her hands together expectantly.

Sparkler chuckled. Rainbow could tell she was thinking of a plan. “First thing’s first we need to get everyone back to normal. Sadly though, SMILE doesn’t have any way of undoing brainwashing.” Sparkler said.

Twilight listened, and her eyes widened as she remembered something. “Wait a minute.” She said. “I have something!” She exclaimed as she reached for her belt.

“Huh?” Rainbow asked.

Twilight unclipped a remote looking device from her belt and held it out. “Sunset told me about Sundown not long after I transferred to Canterlot High. One thing led to another and we started work on a device that would undo any brainwashing. ESPECIALLY Sundown’s.” She explained.

Her friends stared at her in disbelief. “You had that on you this whole time?!” They all asked.

“Yeah. Just in case.” Twilight said. “I never told anyone except for Sunset because I didn’t want it getting out and potentially getting stolen.” She said.

“Are you sure this thing can get everyone back to normal darling?” Rarity asked.

“I’m sure it will. We used Sunset’s Geode and set it to cancel out the Geode’s magic, which Sundown used just now to brainwash everyone.” Twilight said.

“So we use that thing to free everyone and get them away from Sundown!” Pinkie said, thinking that she came up with the answer.

“Unfortunately it only works on one person at a time with its transmission capabilities.” Twilight said.

“Ugh! It’s gonna take all night!” Rainbow complained.

Sparkler looked at the device, her mind racing, before she came up with an idea. “Then we don’t use it on everyone. Not initially.” She said.

“Huh?” Applejack asked. “What’re you talking about?” She asked.

“If we went for doing it one person at a time, Sundown is eventually going to catch on.” Sparkler said. “So we target specific people instead.”

“Why would we target specific people?” Rainbow asked.

“Because, there are more agents here.” Sparkler revealed. “Five more agents total. And one of them happens to know all of SMILE’S pet projects. If anyone knows if SMILE has something that can help us. It’s them.” She explained.

“And then?” Fluttershy asked.

“We work together to figure out a plan for stopping Sundown and freeing the rest of the brainwashing victims.” Sparkler responded.

“Who did you have in mind?” Twilight asked.

“Let’s just say…you’ve met them before.” Sparkler said. “Who’s ready to do some sneaking around?”


Back in the gym, inside Sunset’s mind, Sundown was seeing through the eyes of her brainwashed zombies. “Grrr! Where ARE they! They could not have disappeared!” Sundown growled.

Behind her, Daydream was still shielding herself and Sunset from the horde of monsters Sundown set on them. And Sunset was pacing back and forth, thinking.

“There’s GOT to be a way to get out of here. This is MY mind for Pete’s sake! I should be god here!” She exclaimed in exasperation. “I swear to Faust that demon is SO gonna pay for this!” She growled.

Daydream nodded, before gasped, suddenly wobbling over, tired. “Whoa!” She nearly fell over before Sunset caught her.

“Daydream? What’s going on?” She asked.

“I can feel my magic running out. I can’t keep this up much longer.” Daydream responded, they both saw a crack starting to form in the shield.

“Please Sparkler…help.” Sunset whispered. She had hope that Sparkler was going to show up eventually, decked out in Spy Gear.


In the halls of Canterlot High, zombified Lyra and Bonbon were walking down the hall, searching for that which their master desired. Behind them, Sparkler and Twilight peaked out from around a corner. Twilight raised an eyebrow. “They’re STILL together? I thought Sundown would’ve split them up?” She whispered.

“Good news for us.” Sparkler whispered back. She primed a smoke grenade. “Ready on that hypno defryer?” Sparkler asked.

Twilight smirked as she held up her device. “Do it Sparky.” She said.

Sparkler nodded and rolled the grenade across the floor to Lyra and Bonbon. The grenade burst and enveloped Lyra and Bonbon in smoke. The smoke filled the hall as Sparkler and Twilight moved in. After a second, two bright flashes of light lit up the smoke.

Elsewhere, the rest of the Geodes of Harmony searched for the targets that Sparkler assigned them. One by one, their targets were found and they managed to nab them and drag them back to the band room. They made sure to cover their eyes so that Sundown, on the off chance she could see through her minions, wouldn’t see where they were until it was too late.

Once all of them were in the band room, three flashes of light in rapid succession could be seen through the windows, and Sundown? She definitely noticed five of her displays go blank. “The heck?” Sundown asked. “What’s going on?!” She asked, growling. Unaware that her day was about to get worse.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

Sundown better watch out. Sparkler’s all Spied up now. And she’s got the desire to save her friend. Heheh.

THX FOR READING!