• Published 27th Sep 2022
  • 1,681 Views, 36 Comments

Proof of a hero - SkarinOfAtmora



Princess Twilight Sparkle has been the sole ruler of Equestria for ten years. The nation thrived under her rule, even more so than with her predeccessors. No catastrophe in sight. Until now...

  • ...
10
 36
 1,681

1 - We start at the end

A new day is dawning over Canterlot. The Sun slowly rises above the land while the Moon descends and waits for night to come once again. Shops, restaurants and cafes are opening their doors for any creature to visit and enjoy all Canterlot has to offer. Every creature was up and about, enjoying the fresh summer air to it's fullest.

Canterlot castle was coming to life as well. Maids and guards were hurrying to their posts to make sure when their Princess awoke everything would be in place. Only the finest ingredients, much to Twilight's continuous protests, were selected for the meals at the castle. Featherdusters were already in full swing, even though you could practically eat off of any surface in the castle. Some say the rooms and halls were cleaner than ahospital. Well, most of them were...

And so we make our way up, towards the personal chambers of Princess Twilight Sparkle. The sole ruler of Equestria occupated the room of her former mentor, Celestia. A grand space with an enormous bed, high ceilings with priceless artworks hanging on the walls and irreplacable statues in it's corners. A large bookshelf filled to the brim with Twilight's personal collection and a walk-in wardrobe that was the size of somepony's house. Truly, a room fit for a princess.

And it was a horryfing mess.

Clothes were scattered about the floor, furniture and even the chandelier. A strong smell of adult activities hung in the air that would take some time to air out. Only one pillow of the dozen that were usually neatly placed on the bed remained where it was supposed to be. Sheets of the finest silk were crumpled to an unrecognizable ball and pushed to the foot, or rather, hoof, of the bed. The maids will be having a field day with this. Just like any other day for the past month.

Speaking of the princess, Twilight was lying on her right side, appearing to sleep peacefully. Her left hand clutching the one her husband lovingly placed on her growing belly. Yes, Princess Twilight Sparkle was four months pregnant and pregnancy sex drive was no joke.

Speaking of her husband, the human was playing the bigger spoon, their naked bodies tightly together. His straw blonde hair tied back into a pony-tail so it doesn't tickle his nose while he sleeps. It's been a couple of days since his last shave but Twilight said she liked it. Must have something to do with the fact ponies have fur all over their bodies so it didn't bother her at all. It also gave him that rugged look she fell for. He was taller than her, by about half a head, and his physique told the story of a warrior. Muscle that showed his immense physical capability and the scars to prove he has seen his share of combat.

"You're poking me." Twilight murmured with her eyes still closed.

"You're not moving." he replied in a deep baritone, snuggling closer to his wife.

"What time is it?"

"Too early for a pregnant princess to care." Twilight snorted. "Besides, the Sun and Moon raise themselves now, thanks to your ARSE."

"Don't call it that." Twilight groaned and slowly rotated herself to face her husband, who now opened his blue eyes.

"What? It was you who named it the Automatically Regenerating Sun-raising Enchantment." the human chuckled. "Besides, it was Flynn who thought of it."

"Max." Twilight scolded her husband, using his nickname rather than his full name, but we'll get to that later. "All of Equestria calls it ARSE. It's kinda' embarassing."

"There's nothing embarrasing about this arse." he squezzed her rump, getting a squeal and giggle in return.

"You're incorrigible."

"I can't even pronounce that." Max smiled back and got a kiss on the nose in return.

"Love you."

"Love you too."

Their tender moment was interrupted by a knock on the door. Or rather somepony slamming their fist on it. The doors were so large and thick that normal knocking would do nothing.

"I'm giving you one minute to get decent. If I see more than I should, you'll be looking for a new assistant Twilight!" the voice of Starlight Glimmer reached from the other side of the door.

"In a minute!" Twilight groaned.

"Make it 5!" Max added and got a playful smack from Twilight.

"You're not that good!" Starlight shot back. "Fifty seconds left!" sharing one more quick kiss, the couple got up and began looking for their clothes.

"Have you seen my panties?" Twilight asked looking around the bed.

"You threw out on the balcony." Max replied while pulling up his own underwear and blue jeans.

"Oh. Right." Twilight giggled and summoned the garment with her magic. "That's a no." she threw the black panties into the wash pile and rushed to her closet to find new ones.

"Forty seconds!"

"Alright, alright, jeez!" the purple alicorn quickly pulled out a pair of fresh scarlet panties and almost jumped into them. Time to set a personal best for dressing.

"Where's my shirt?"

"It may or may not have been incinerated." Twilight called back while putting on a scarlet dress with golden accents. The dress hugged her curves almost like a second skin and showed a generous amount of cleavage. In her younger days Twilight never could have imagined she would dress so provocatively like Celestia and Luna did. But hey, if you've got it, flaunt it.

"TWENTY SECONDS!" Starlight yelled once more and Twilight walked out of the closet while putting on a choker that matched her dress. She looked at Max who was digging through his own, albeit small wardrobe, to find a clean shirt.

"Mama likes." Twilight playfully slapped Max's ass just as the human triumphantly pulled out a white shirt and red sleeveless jacket.

"I can't wait for your lunch break." Max pulled on the shirt and snatched up Twilight in a deep kiss.

"THREE! TWO! ONE!" on cue the doors opened to reveal Starlight Glimmer in a secretary-like outfit. "By Celestia's beard it stinks in here!" she covered her nose in disgust. "At least open up a window you animals!" with a wave of her hand, all windows in the room opened to let some much needed fresh air inside. "And you didn't even shower." Starlight rubbed her temples to prevent a potential migraine popping up. "It's 10am! Go!"

"A shower, you say?" Max wiggled his brows to Twilight making the alicorn blush.

"Nuh-uh!" Starlight stomped towards them and pushed them towards the bathroom. "I want you to take a nice clean shower! No hanky-panky!" she practically tossed them inside before closing the door. "You have 5 minutes! And no, I won't make it 10!" putting her ear on the doors, Starlight made sure there as no funny business going on before she called in the maids to clean up the mess.

Five minutes later on the dot, Twilight and Max emerged from the bathroom smelling clean and fresh.

"Thank the stars your ARSE is taking care of the Sun and Moon. Otherwise Equestria's day would start very late." Starlight shook her head in amusement.

"That only happened one time!" Twilight protested with a slight blush. It was true, only one time had she failed to raise the Sun and lower the Moon on time. Equestria was very confused why that day began at 11am. "And stop calling it ARSE!"

"Nope." Starlight replied and spun on her hoof towrds the door. "Now let's hurry. Your duties were trimmed down since you're pregnant but there's still lots to do." the unicorn lead the pair out of the room, both Twilight and Max quietly apologizing to the maids that had to clean up their mess. But the maids didn't mind. Their princess was happy and there was a baby on the way. As far as they were concerned, it was the best days of Equestria.


Breakfast went by pretty uneventful with Twilight and Max stealing glances at each other while Starlight read the morning newspapers. Even Spike dropped by for a quick bite to eat before rushing off in a hurry. Something about a blue monster in the Everfree river that the resident sea serpent, Steven Magnet, demanded be dealt with.

Once breakfast was done it was time for Twilight to teach, something she absolutely adored. Like Celestia before her, Twilight took on students and taught them in the ways of friendship. However, instead of the classroom being inside the castle like before, Twilight held her classes in the centre of Canterlot due to some... Renovations the original space has undergone. It also gave Twilight the opportunity to interact with her subjects on a more personal level since she had to walk to get there.

"Twilight, your mane." Starlight pointed out and the princess's mane suddenly became ethereal.

"I still don't understand why this is a thing." Twilight said and ran her fingers through the almost untouchable mane. "It was just a prank a thousand years ago."

"Which everypony decided was a good look for a princess." Starlight added. "Just be glad the beard didn't catch on." both mares chuckled as even today some ponies said By Celestia's beard!.

"Speaking of beards." Max spoke and stroked his chin. "Should I grow it out again?"

"Hmm..." Twilight stopped and ran her hand across his chin and jaw. "You know, I like it like this." and with a quick kiss she resumed her morning walk, greeting ponies left and right. They soon reached the new classroom, with all manner of young creatures waiting for their teacher. Yes, everything was fine on this glorious summer-

"RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!" all heads snapped to the right as a green unicorn ran past them in horror. Before the trio even processed what happened a thunderous roar shook Canterlot. Starlight looked at Max who seemed more annoyed than concerned.

"Is that a-"

"Yes." Twilight responded instead of her husband.

"How did it get past the gate?" Max wondered.

"We're about to find out." Twilight said as she spotted a familiar pegaus running towards them. "Captain Flash Sentry. Status report." the pegasus skidded to a halt, completely out of breath and barely able to speak.

"It's a-huff huff- It's a-"

"Relax captain." Twilight smiled and her former crush nodded furiously. He was not paid enough to work for his former girlfriend and deal with these monsters. "We know what it is. We were just wondering how it got past the gates."

"W-well, you see, ahh... The thing is..." all three looked at the captain expectantly. Flash took a deep breath. "To be honest, we weren't paying attention." Twilight, Max and Starligh blinked in disbelief. "Please don't fire me." Twilight then laughed.

"I won't fire you, captain. If I wanted to fire you I would have done it years ago when you stood me up on Hearts and Hooves day." there was the slightest hint of anger in her voice.

"I got cold hooves, okay?" Flash raised his hands in defense. "It's not like you can just go out with a princess like with a normal pony."

"I did it." Max joined in and Flash scoffed. "And you should treat every date like a princess. Or prince, I'm not judging."

"Easy for you to say when you battle the likes of-" he immediately shut his mouth after Twilight glared at him.

"So you're saying it's easier to fight a monster than go on a date with me?" oh yeah, pregnancy hormones were the shit.

"That is not what I meant." Flash took a step back as Twilight took one forward. "What I meant was-"

"That you would rather jump into the jaws of an Anj-"

"Whoaaa, easy." Max stood between Twilight and Flash. "You can resolve your lovers quarrel later." a quick smack on the shoulder from Twilight and a huff later, Max looked at Flash.

"I don't get it. Wasn't Flynn supposed to be on duty with you today?"

"He said, and I quote-" Flash then did his best Trotland accent. "I've got better shite ta' do than babysit ye' sorry lot."

"Fair enough." Max nodded making Flash frown. "And where is Fenris?"

"Out and about." Max face-palmed.

"Useless dog."

"We have some troops holding it back but they won't last." Flash stood up straight. "We need a hunter." Max sighed and turned to a still salty Twilight.

"Honey." he cupped her chin and smiled. "Duty calls." Twilight sighed and smiled back.

"I know." the two shared a quick kiss. Before he left, Twilight whispered in his ear. "Don't be late for lunch." Max smirked back and made a run towards the direction of the monster with Flash in tow. "Well, shall we?" Twilight smiled at her assistant who just shrugged. And the two entered the small house that served as a classroom.

"I suppose." Starlight responded and, like nothing happened, the two continued their walk towards the classroom. "I remember a time where you would be worried sick everytime he went out on a hunt."

"Well, times change." Twilight smiled fondly at the memory. Of course she worried, he was her husband, but these days she didn't walk a ditch into the ground from all the nervous pacing.


"Did you seriously stand up my wife on Hearts and Hooves days?" Max asked over his shoulder.

"Can we not talk about this right now?" the two were sprinting towards a group of guards. "Prince Max has arrived! Make way!"

"'Scuse me, coming through!" Max weaved his way between the guards who were keeping the invading beast at bay. "I'll take that." he snatched a slinger from an unsuspecting guard. "And that." followed by a sword and shield combo from another. Picking up some red fruit on the ground and placing it in the slinger, Max finally confronted the monster that terrorized Canterlot. "Hey there little buddy." as soon as it saw him, the beast stopped his rampage and took a step back. It knew very well who it was about to face.

"Yeah! Go Prince Max!" the ponies cheered, not noticing Max cringe at being called a prince.

"A little far from home aren't you?" he asked and approached the giant red dinosaur monster with careful steps. "How about you go back to your little nest, I go back to my wife and we pretend like this never happened?" the beast eyed eyed him carefully, almost like it was considering his generous proposition.

Before it roared directly into Max's face, covering him in spit and drool.

"Figures." suddenly Max's look got deadly serious as he aimed the slinger towards the monster's head. The clutch claw fired and attached to it's head, pulling Max towards it. As soon as he was attached, Max fired the stored fruit straight into it's head and sent it crashing into a wall, the monster collapsing on the ground. The ponies swore they saw a burly human with the red fruit for a head appearing out of the slinger and uppercutting the monster.

The best was squirming on the ground trying to get it's bearings. Max's subsequent shield blow to the head didn't help matters.

"There's too many of you." Max turned towards the guards who looked in awe. "Hunters operate in teams of four, otherwise it get's too crowded. And your slinger to grapple on to monsters and then create a weak point with the claw." he noticed ponies staring at him. "What?" many fingers pointed behind him. Max turned and saw the monster was back on it's legs and was taking a deep breath.

"FIREBREATH!" the guards dived to the side.

"No, it's gonna-" before he could finish, Max was covered in mucus and bile." Sneeze." he shook off some of the mucus from his arms. "I would have preffered a fireball."


Twilight began her lesson like nothing was happening outside. She was explaining all the factors that went into a good friendship and writing down an equation on the chalkboard. Once she was done, Twilight clapped her hands a few times to clear them of chalk and turned to her class.

"So, who can tell me the amount of trust needed to-" she noticed nocreature was listening to her and stared out the window, flinching with each roar the beast made. Smiling gently, Twilight pulled up a chair in front of her desk. "Gather around, my dear students." in the blink of an eye all of them were sitting in front of her on the fluffly carpet. "What is wrong?"

"W-what is that thing?" a changeling mare asked and pointed outside.

"That, my dear Echo, is a brute wyvern called an Anjanath." Twilight replied and the whole class nodded.

"Why is it here?" a griffon boy asked.

"Well, Steel Wing, Anjanath are very territorial and aggressive. It was probably looking to expand it's territory." the princess explained and saw a raised hand from the back. "Yes, Luster Dawn?"

"I've read that it was weak to water. Can't you just magic up a ball of water and dump it on him? Also, the answer to your equation is 42." the pink unicorn blushed a little for talking so fast.

"Very good Luster Dawn." Twilight praised the filly. "And to answer your question, yes and no. You see our magic has little to no effect on monsters. That is why-" Twilight was then rudely interrupted by Max who crashed through a window, scaring the life out of the young ones. "Hello." Twilight giggled.

"Hi." Max groaned and got back up. The Anjanath was rushing towards the school. "Be with you in a moment." rushing to the windown and jumping out, Max was just in time to bash his shield into Anjanath's maw and send it tumbling in another direction. The children looked in awe at their prince, the best hunter in Equestria.

"Uhm, honey?" Max looked back at Twilight who was trying not to laugh. "You got a little something... Here." she pointed to her cheek and Max wiped his own with his shield hand.

"Did I get it?" Max asked looking at the children, covered in Anjanath mucus head to toe. He got blehs and ewws in response. "I gotta' go. Be nice to Miss Sparkle!"

"We will!" the children replied in unison.

"Bye honey!" Max sent a kiss to Twilight, making the alicorn blush and wave back timidly. "I still got it." Max smirked triumphantly and rushed back at the Anjanath.

"Miss Twilight?" the alicorn quickly regained her composure and looked at the earth pony calling her name.

"Yes, Snow Storm?"

"How did you and Prince Max meet?" the entire class oooh'd and stared at their teacher with an expecting gaze.

"Well... That's... " Twilight shuffled in her seat, a small blush on her cheeks.

"Pweaseeeee!" the amount of cute right now was through the roof.

"All right." Twilight smiled warmly at her students cheers. "It all began two years ago when a Rathalos crahed landed into the throne room..."

Author's Note:

You can thank my crippling Monster Hunter addiction for this one.
I'm playing 5 at the same time. Freedom Unite, Portable 3rd, Generations Ultimate, World/Iceborne and Rise.

As always, a janky job for cover art. I'll try to comission Crystal-for-ever or Longinius for proper cover art if they have time.

I'll just leave this here, see how it goes.