• Published 20th Sep 2022
  • 822 Views, 43 Comments

Ponies Versus the Internet - KenDoStudios



Twilight builds a computer for her friends to try out.

  • ...
7
 43
 822

Twilight: Insanity and War(requested)

Twilight entered the castle where the computer was, it stood there looking at her expectantly. Rainbow dash was already there playing a game on the computer.

"so much knowledge and it's all in this box. What am I going to do with you?" she said to it. It was her turn to find something about humanity today, and Twilight went through her notes to see what interested her the most today.

"Hey Dash, I'm home," she said "You think you can save and play later? I have some research to do."

Rainbow Dash nodded. "Sure thing Twilight," she replied.

"Thanks," Twilight said.

One of the things on Twilight's list was human hostility, she remembered being bullied by Starlight Glimmer when she was at Canterlot high. so she typed in "human hostility" on the computer. The computer responded with information.

"Human hostility originates in the early years of childhood. Children begin antagonizing each other because they want to fit in with their peers. This causes others to become hostile towards children who are different from them. Adults often view these events as normal behavior among young people, even though they may cause lasting damage to social relationships."

this was basic information Twilight already knew but all problems were solved eventually in their world how does humanity resolve conflict?

the Computer thought a moment. "Most conflicts occur between individuals, which is generally resolved by negotiation, mediation, or legal enforcement. However, many conflicts arise between groups, such as nations, ethnicities, religions, political parties, unions, and corporations. These types of disputes usually involve large numbers of people and require more complex solutions than those available to individual actors. In these cases, governments, courts, or other forms of official organizations typically intervene to resolve the dispute."

Legal enforcement? How does one solve conflict legally? She typed this on the computer.

"Legally enforced agreements are made under the authority of law, either civil or criminal. These agreements may be formalized into contracts, laws, rules, regulations, or policies. Legal enforcement refers to actions taken by government officials to enforce these agreements."

"They enforce it?" Twilight gasped.

"They enforce what?" asked Rainbow Dash coming out of the bathroom and heading out the door.

"Dash look at this! humanity can use the government to enforce their beliefs!"

"So what? That happens everywhere."

"Not here."

"What do you mean not here?"

"There's no governing body here. We're on our own."

"But what about Queen Celestia?"

"She's not involved in day-to-day affairs, she leaves that up to each town."

"Really?"

"Yeah, and she also has a lot of responsibilities for the whole empire."

"So what do we do if someone breaks the law?"

"well here, we try to come up with a solution and make friends."

"and... you believe those friends can be any creature?"

"if they want it, yes."

Rainbow dash turned around and stared at the door. "then can I ask you a question Twilight?"

"Sure."

"That one pony who... barked... Remember her? Didn't they send her somewhere?"

"To a hospital yes."

"But a special hospital right?"

"...yes."

"Why did they send her there?"

"because she had a mental disorder."


"What kind of disorder?"

"well... Shes... crazy."

"Doesn't friendship apply to her?"

"...No," replied Twilight Sparkle timidly.

"Why not? Is she not a pony like the rest of us?"

"she's an... animal."

"An animal like you?"

"no, she's..." Twilight paused realizing she couldn't tell Rainbow Dash everything without sounding rude.

"Is she worse off than any pony else?"

"well...."

"Then why shouldn't she be allowed to make friends with any pony?"

"Because she's an.... animal," Twilight repeated.

"We're animals too."

"yeah but-"

"Twilight, just give her a chance ok?" Rainbow Dash said.

"And why should I? she is not capable."

"You know what? You're wrong. I've known her since she came to Ponyville and I've never seen her act aggressively toward anyone ever. Even when she was trying to learn to talk she always tried her best to understand. She doesn't deserve to be treated badly because she's different."

"Dash what the heck? she is not in her right mind!"

"I don't care! She needs love and friendship just like everyone else. Don't judge her based on your preconceived notions."

"I will not allow her to walk around here acting like a dog!"

"Twilight stop arguing with me!"

Twilight sighed and walked over to the computer and typed "insane asylum". A few moments passed before the screen lit up again.

"A number of psychiatric hospitals exist throughout Earth. Most provide treatment for mentally ill people who cannot function in society. Some also offer limited services to humans suffering from severe psychological disorders."
Rainbow Dash looked at the screen and then back to Twilight "so you're saying that the barking pony is...."

"Insane... yes..."

"Dang, I didn't know Twilight..."

"you would probably have been better off knowing nothing." Twilight looked down in gloom.

"You didn't answer my question though... What happened to her?"

"That's... none of your business Dash, why do you care for her so much?"

"because she's.. unexpected... and I think I like that about her... so much so that I'm gonna find out where she is!" With that Rainbow dashed out of the room.

Twilight never even mentioned how becoming friends with someone insane was a bit far-fetched.

Twilight kept looking at human hostility on the computer and came upon riots and peaceful protests. The first thing she saw were images of police officers beating protesters with batons. It took all her self-control not to scream at them.
The next picture she saw caused her to gasp in horror. There was a man lying face down in the street bleeding profusely from his head. He was surrounded by bloodied bodies, some dead and others injured. "what on Equestria is all this?" she said aloud then she scrolled down and saw the word.

"WAR".

"War?" Twilight said "what is war," she asked the computer.

"War is the armed conflict between nations or states, organized groups of people, or individuals, often with political objectives."

"Oh my gosh! What is happening?!" Twilight exclaimed as she continued scrolling through pictures. "This isn't right!" she cried. She read more and found herself getting angry. "How could they let something like this happen!?" she yelled.

"It appears that many countries are engaged in a series of wars across the world."

"They must be stopped!"

"Anything short of complete destruction of the governments involved will end these conflicts."

"Destruction!? NO HARMONY! let them reunite in harmony!"

she kept scrolling down "all this just for more territory? how did this all start?" she asked the computer.

"Political tension between major powers can cause war. In addition, there may be disputes over natural resources such as oil, water, and land."

Twilight looked at the screen in disbelief. How could this possibly happen? Why does no one stand up against this injustice?!
She scrolled further down and saw pictures of soldiers fighting each other.

"Why are they doing this?" she asked the computer.

"Violence has existed for millennia. Soldiers fight to protect their nation, family, or friends."

"But why do they kill each other?"

"There are several reasons: revenge, domination, territorial gains, and ethnic cleansing."

"Ethnic Cleansing!?" Twilight shouted. "This is terrible!"

"nearly one hundred million people died during the First World War alone."

"THERE WAS A WORLD WAR? THE ENTIRE EARTH JUST WENT TO WAR?!" yelled Twilight.

"Twice" was the response from the computer.

"TWICE!? oh my goodness! This is horrible!" Twilight said softly.

She continued reading until she got to the part where she learned about nuclear bombs. Her eyes widened in shock as she realized that if those weapons fell into the wrong hands........

"NUCLEAR BOMBS!!" ughhhhhh!" she yelled in frustration.

She turned off the screen.

She had seen enough.

She laid down on the bed and stared blankly at the ceiling. She thought about everything she had just seen. Twilight knew that there were things in life that were worse than death but seeing innocent ponies being hurt made her question her role as princess of friendship. Then she started thinking about her own future. Would she grow old and die while watching innocent ponies suffer? If only she could help she thought as she stroked her tail to calm herself down.

Author's Note:

real talk though, why are we fighting over land?