• Published 14th Sep 2022
  • 1,184 Views, 125 Comments

Discord's Patchwork Adventure - Comicizzum



Discord is cursed due to a cruel misunderstanding while an ancient evil force teams up with Tirek to ultimately ruin Equestria.

  • ...
1
 125
 1,184

Deposed

Discord woke to his whole spirit thrashing within his stiff, stuffed body. The entire world was crying out in pain and loss, the balance completely knocked off its kilter. Never would he have thought to feel the terror he did now.

The Tree of Harmony had just been destroyed.

Discord knew there were only a select number of individuals who could accomplish such a feat but all of them were either locked up or reformed.

Or both, he thought, considering himself.

Not that he would ever destroy the Tree. It was his opposite and, in its own way, a sentient being.

Discord always thought it funny that the ponies hadn't considered that since there was a Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony then there was also a Spirit of Order and Harmony. There was a balance to all things, gods included. Most of Amity's spirit resided in the Elements but the rest dwelt within that Tree. With its destruction Discord knew she would have fled to her Bearers. And if the creature who destroyed the Tree knew of that, Fluttershy and her friends were in danger!

Immediately he began struggling and thrashing, pushing his magic against the curse’s barrier unsuccessfully. Eventually he slumped in defeat for it was all for not; he was stuck in this pathetic form with no way to protect the pony he cared most about.

The only small comfort he had was that the Everfree Forest wasn’t going to expand and take over half of Equestria; he'd set up a barrier spell on the forest after the whole plunder vine incident, unwilling to see Fluttershy’s home destroyed should anything else weaken the Tree in the future.

Even back then he’d had strong feelings for her and hadn’t even realized.

Speaking of Fluttershy, the mare was currently brushing her mane and getting ready for the day, completely oblivious to the danger she and her friends were potentially in.

If only I could send them some kind of warning! He lamented. Those stupid Pillars! I’ll send them all to a dimension filled with eternal pain and suffering if even a hair of Fluttershy’s mane gets hurt!

At this point he could only hope that the princesses would figure out what was going on before it was too late.

Please let them find out. Please. For Fluttershy’s sake.


Starswirl the Bearded and Silvermane were together when it happened. The magical connection they shared with the Tree of Harmony suddenly vanished, leaving an empty hole where once there had been comfort and security. Both ancient ponies shared a terrified glance before Starswirl teleported them to the Tree’s ravine. What they saw broke their hearts.

The Tree and its Elements had been completely and totally annihilated, broken pieces of crystal and colored dust scattered all over the hardened ground.

“What happened here?” Silvermane asked, her voice filled with disbelief and grief as she stumbled upon the powdery remains of the Elements.

“I do not know,” said Starswirl, his eyes carefully studying the area for signs of a culprit. “But we cannot linger. The Tree’s demise does not bode well for Equestria. We must warn the princesses of what has happened. I will send you to Princess Twilight while I go to Canterlot.”

“What of Cadence?”

“I will warn her after Celestia and Luna.”

Silvermane nuzzled him. “Be careful. We do not know who did this.”

Starswirl smiled at his old friend. “I will join you at Twilight’s castle as soon as I can.”

The promise given, the old unicorns parted ways, each disappearing in a burst of white light.

A moment later Starswirl appeared in the Canterlot throne room, his surroundings immediately putting him on edge. Pillars had been knocked over, glass windows were shattered, and the thrones were broken, their splintered remains mingling with pieces of fallen stone from the ceiling. A new throne had been erected, one that was large, black, and sinister, coated in red rubies near the top.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t our old teacher. Back so soon, Starswirl?”

Starswirl whirled around and saw the most horrifying sight.

The alicorn princesses stood tall, proud, and dangerous, each transformed into a being of pure nightmare. Celestia’s flowing mane and tail had been replaced by raging orange and yellow flames, her eyes amber and her pupils slits. Sharp fangs decorated her large sneer and a golden crown rested on her head, a single red ruby prominently placed in the center. Her regalia extended to cover the top of her wings and her shoes were fashioned in the shape of eternal flame. Beside her stood Nightmare Moon, an ugly sneer lining her black face, her blue mane and tail flowing about like an angry phantom from space. Her teal eyes stood out hauntingly from beneath her helmet.

“Celestia, Luna, what has happened to you?” Starswirl gasped, taking a step back.

“Celestia?” the older princess laughed. “That pitiful version of myself has been consumed and reborn in the flames of true power. I am Daybreaker!” Flames shot out from her eyes and wings at her declaration.

Nightmare Moon rolled her eyes at the fiery display. “A bit theatrical, don’t you think?”

“Oh, you’re one to talk, with your dark and brooding gloom,” Daybreaker snapped. “We get it, you’re sad. You know, you could really use some sun.”

Nightmare Moon was unaffected by the flames lining her sister’s eyes. “If we hadn’t been commanded to behave, I would have happily annihilated you from existence, sister dear.”

“What do you mean by that?” Starswirl interrupted before Daybreaker could retort. “Whose command?”

“Our master’s,” Daybreaker answered. “He gave us a strict order to behave and await his return. We are not yet a set of four. Once he turns Cadence and Twilight, we shall be unstoppable!”

Starswirl’s panic grew. “And who is your master?”

“Why, King Tirek, of course.”

“Tirek?! He has returned?”

Nightmare Moon grinned. “Oh yes, and he is the most powerful being we have ever encountered! He destroyed the Tree of Harmony without even breaking a sweat!”

“Or so we were told,” Daybreaker added.

“But how can this be?” Starswirl asked, fear tightening his chest. “He was nowhere near that powerful before being imprisoned in Tartarus. I saw to it myself that he was locked behind bars.”

Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon shared a glance before lowering their heads and stalking towards him, their eyes burning ominously.

“Yes, you did send him there, didn’t you?” Daybreaker whispered. “Correct me if I’m wrong, sister, but I believe King Tirek would be most pleased to see this one.”

Nightmare Moon’s smirk grew, her bared teeth similar to a razor sharp lion’s before its prey. “Indeed,” she said. “Perhaps he would even approve of finding the little pony a little battered and bruised!

“I was thinking the same thing!”

Both sisters lunged, their horns lit. Before they could bestow any blows, however, Starswirl teleported away.

Appearing just outside the city, the old unicorn’s lungs heaved for air, panic like never before clenching his ancient heart. His old students had been overshadowed and transformed into evil beings! How could Tirek have done such a thing? The only power he possessed was magical absorption. He must not be working alone. And if what Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon had said was true, then the centaur was on his way to either Ponyville or the Crystal Empire. Ponyville was closer but the Crystal Empire housed two alicorns, one he was sure Tirek was not yet aware of. The thought of the centaur corrupting the foal, Flurry Heart, was enough to spur Starswirl towards the Crystal Empire.

“Forgive me, Twilight,” he muttered, charging his horn. “If he reaches you first, I can only hope you will be able to hold him at bay until I can come to your assistance.”

Teleporting to the Crystal Empire, he landed exactly where he intended; he wasn’t known as one of the most powerful unicorns in history for nothing! Even so, he couldn’t stop himself from falling to his knees in the middle of the crystal throne room, his magic utterly spent.

“Who goes there?”

Starswirl looked up to see an approaching orange pegasus with blue hair, his form cloaked in crystal armor.

“I must speak with Princess Cadence immediately,” Starswirl rasped. “Please, she and Princess Flurry Heart are in grave danger!”

The guard studied him a moment before judging his concerned desperation to be authentic. “Wait here,” he said, flying out of the room.

Starswirl would have followed but he was too weak. The sound of several pairs of hooves soon reached his ears and he looked up to see Cadence enter, accompanied by the guard and a white unicorn with a blue mane and tail. The latter he deduced quickly as Prince Shining Armor from his majestic attire.

“Starswirl?” the princess gasped, rushing over to help him stand. “What are you doing here?”

The old unicorn latched onto her, his blue eyes filled with fright. “You must hide! Tirek, he has escaped. He’s done something to Celestia and Luna! He’s coming for you! You have to leave!”

“Whoa, slow down,” she said.

“You have to get out!” Starswirl cried, shaking her. “He’s already corrupted Celestia and Luna. He’s coming. He cannot find out about Flurry Heart! You must leave!”

Cadence responded in the most unexpected way: she slapped the old unicorn across the face. Starswirl’s mouth dropped in shock, completely flummoxed by her reaction.

“I’m sorry,” she immediately apologized, “But you need to calm down. I don’t understand what’s going on.”

Starswirl took a deep breath, attempting to control the panic that was causing his very limbs to shake. He didn’t have time for this! He still had to warn Twilight!

“Tirek escaped from Tartarus,” he quickly explained. “He somehow has found a power that enables him to transform others. He’s already changed Celestia and Luna into their evil counterparts Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon.”

“What?” Cadence and Shining Armor cried.

“And I just came from there; Canterlot, I mean. Both princesses informed me that he is coming for you, Cadence, and Twilight. He plans to do the same to you as he did to them. I fear what he will do if he found Flurry Heart as well.”

Cadence and Shining Armor shared a horrified parental glance.

“We have to do something!” she cried.

There was a sudden bang and the distant scream of pony guards reached their ears. Starswirl’s ears flattened against his head.

“It is too late,” he lamented. “He is already here.”

Cadence didn’t waste a moment. She turned to Shining Armor and grabbed his shoulders. “Take Flurry Heart and get out of here.”

“Not without you!” he argued.

“Shining, it’s me he wants. If I come with you, he’ll find Flurry. We can’t let him get her too! Take her somewhere safe. Don’t tell me where. If Tirek finds out about her, I don’t want him to use any information I can give as a way to find you. Go. NOW!”

Shining Armor looked at her, his eyes speaking a thousand words. Tears pricked the princess’s eyes as she kissed her prince and sent him away. The guard left with him. Cadence turned to Star Swirl as another, closer set of pony guards screamed, their cries echoing just down the hall.

“Do you think he’s already reached Twilight?” she asked.

“I don’t know and I can’t check because I used up most of my magic teleporting here.”

“Then I’ll send you,” Cadence decided. “I might be able to buy you enough time to get her to safety if she's alright. She and her friends will be able to fix all of this.”

Before he could respond the Princess of Love provided the necessary spell to send him away just as the doors to her throne room ripped off their hinges.


Twilight Sparkle was pacing back and forth in the six throned room beside the Cutie Map Table, trying -and failing- not to panic.

“I can’t believe this,” she said, frantically moving back and forth. “The Tree of Harmony can’t be gone. It just can’t!”

But the evidence was clear. The Cutie Map had vanished that morning and none of her magic had brought it back. The very castle seemed to have lost its shimmer, the pure pulse of its magic painfully absent.

“I’m afraid it is,” Silvermane lamented.

“And the Elements?” Twilight asked, holding onto her last piece of hope.

“Destroyed.”

The purple alicorn’s pacing ceased and she fell back on her rump, utterly flabbergasted -until a hysterical laugh escaped her muzzle, laced in both panic and denial.

“No, there’s no way. They can’t be destroyed.”

“Twilight,” Starlight, having witnessed her mentor’s breakdown, timidly stepped forward.

The princess rounded on her. “No, Starlight!” she snapped. “It’s not possible! They can’t be gone! They just can’t be!”

Before anymore could be said, a flash of light revealed a rather exhausted Starswirl the Bearded.

“Starswirl!” Silvermane cried in worry, hastening to his side.

Twilight’s idol shook his head weakly before his eyes filled with remembrance and panic. He looked around until he saw the princess.

“Twilight,” he said, hastening towards her.

“I know,” she interrupted before he could say more, “Silvermane told us what happened. Can the Elements really be gone?”

“Forget about the Elements!” Starswirl snapped, grabbing her shoulders and roughly shaking her. “You must leave! Now! Before it’s too late!”

“Get off me!” Twilight cried, using her magic to free herself and push him back.

“Starswirl, what’s gotten into you?” Silvermane demanded reproachfully.

“I think that’s something we’d all like to know,” said Starlight, taking a defensive position next to her mentor.

“Tirek,” Starswirl shouted. “He’s coming. He’s already corrupted the other princesses! You need to hide before he finds you!”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight said, instinctive fear immediately racing like electricity through her limbs. “Tirek’s in a cell in Tartarus.”

“Not anymore,” he retorted before quickly explaining what had happened in both Canterlot and the Crystal Empire, again reiterating the need for her to run.

“He may already be on his way here right now!” Starswirl cried.

Before Twilight could spiral into yet another panicked frenzy, the air popped and an unbelievable sight met her eyes, causing her jaw to drop.

The alicorn standing on the Cutie Map Table could not be anypony other than Cadence but she looked completely and utterly wrong. Her coat was a shade darker and the heart of her cutie mark was red, split down the middle by a large crack. Her purple eyes were similar to Pinkie Pie’s pet alligator, Gummy, except instead of a vacant stare they held sentient malice. Her once golden crown, regalia, and shoes were black and her mane and tail waved about like Celestia’s, the pink, purple, and yellow shades rippling similar to the waves of an ocean.

Behind her was Tirek, his form ripped with muscles and reeking with confidence as he occupied the rest of the room.

“Twilight Sparkle,” he greeted, “I have great plans for you.”

Twilight cried out in fright. She wanted to bolt but her fear held her fast, her eyes unable to look away from her corrupted sister-in-law.

“C-Cadence?” she rasped, ears flat and eyes wet.

“Allow me to make introductions,” Tirek said, for Cadence merely stood there silently, shoulders hunched and ready for an attack. “Twilight Sparkle, Heartbreaker. Heartbreaker, Twilight Sparkle. Although, you won’t be that for much longer.”

“You will not touch her!” Starswirl shouted, leaping in front of Twilight protectively.

Tirek blinked in mild surprise before his yellow eyes filled with recognition and hatred. “Starswirl. How can you possibly be here? You should have died long ago.”

“That doesn’t matter,” the ancient unicorn replied. “The only thing you need to know is I will never let you corrupt her as you have the others!”

The centaur sneered. “So you already know of the Canterlot princesses.”

“He tried to warn me too, master,” Heartbreaker said.

“Silence!” Tirek snapped at her. The pink alicorn hung her head in submission.

“What have you done to her?!” Twilight yelled, snapping out of her horrified state and sidestepping Starswirl, her anger quickly overcoming her fright.

“The same thing I’m going to do to you,” he grinned, his yellow eyes flickering ominously.

Starswirl once again leapt in front of Twilight. “Not if I have anything to say about it!”

Silvermane joined him. Starlight came up and stood next to Twilight, her horn already lit at the ready.

Tirek eyed the three other unicorns before leaning towards them with a wicked smirk. “Do you really wish to challenge me?”

Starswirl and Silvermane lit their horns.

The centaur’s grin widened. Something about that smirk set an alarm off within Twilight but before she could give any warning, a black beam shot out of Tirek’s hand, looping around Starswirl and lifting him into the air.

A dark fog emerged from the beam, completely consuming the gray unicorn. The others watched in abject horror as Starswirl’s body thrashed about before beginning to change. His neck grew, his face elongated, his front hooves vanished and his back hooves grew claws. Wings sprouted out of his back as his mane disappeared, replaced with sharp spikes running from his head down to his new reptilian tail. The fog lifted and Starswirl the Bearded was no more. In his place stood a hideous wyvern, the beast letting out an angry screech.

“NO!” Twilight cried in anguish, rushing forward until Starlight’s magic protectively flung her back.

Tirek’s laughter echoed off the crystal walls as the wyvern continued to snarl and spit. When it began to lunge, however, the centaur’s laughter ceased and he commanded for it to be still. Twilight and the others watched in disbelief as the wyvern whimpered and did as it was bid, its head lowering in perfect submission.

“No,” Twilight whispered, petrified.

This couldn't be happening! It could not be happening!

“Your turn,” Tirek said, and Twilight looked up just in time to see Silvermane snatched into the air, the black magic wrapping around her.

As the fog began to change the old mare, Twilight’s wits finally caught up with her. She turned to Starlight, who was frozen in horror, and made a decision. If she fled, Tirek would never stop searching until he found her. More ponies would end up like Starswirl and Silvermane. She couldn’t bear to see that happen to anyone else, especially her friends.

“Starlight!” she shouted, gaining the unicorn’s attention. “Get out of here!”

“What?”

Find the others and get out of here!” Twilight repeated as the screech of another wyvern rent the air.

There was no time. Before the black tendrils could latch around Starlight, Twilight cast a spell, forcing her student to teleport to Sugar Cube Corner. Tirek silenced the wyvern that used to be Silvermane and glared down at the princess.

“Where did you send her?”

“I’ll never tell you!”

Tirek’s scowl turned into a maniacal grin. “You won’t… but your counterpart will!”

Twilight took to the air, avoiding the black magic before it could claim her. She blasted Tirek with a spell but instead of hitting her intended mark, it bounced off an invisible shield. Twilight came up short, her wings flapping.

“Impossible!” she gasped.

“Didn’t I tell you?” Tirek said, again reaching for her with the black magical strands. “I’ve acquired a new friend. One who is more than powerful enough to defeat you.”

“We’ll just see about that!” Twilight shouted, diving out of his magic’s reach and aiming a blast at his chest.

Though the shield continued to protect him, Tirek’s hooves skid across the ground from the power behind the attack. Annoyed, he once again directed the magical threads towards her. Twilight evaded and blasted him again.

“I grow tired of this!” he snapped. “Celestia and Luna put up quite the fight too but it was all in vain. You must know your efforts are futile!”

“That’s not going to stop me from trying!” Twilight replied, her next attack actually blasting him through the wall.

The castle groaned and shook. Tirek snarled, reappearing, his eyes filled with rage. But Twilight was heading his way, another blast from her horn aimed at his face. The barrier broke as the mark hit true, the after effect slicing a cut across Tirek’s cheek before he could fully dodge. The centaur wiped his face and looked down at the blood in surprise. Twilight smirked as he roared. Picking up a boulder from the broken wall, he threw it at the purple princess. Twilight blasted it away.

When the rubble cleared, she had another spell charged and ready but stopped short when she saw Cadence, no, Heartbreaker, within Tirek’s grasp. He held her by her wings, one in each hand, and by the look on her face she was in severe pain.

“Master,” she begged, “please!”

“Be silent!” he snarled, pulling harder still.

Heartbreaker gasped in agony.

“No! Stop!” Twilight shouted, rushing forward.

“Come any closer and I rip her wings off!” Tirek bellowed.

Twilight immediately stopped, flapping in place, knowing it was not a bluff. Something sinister and evil lurked behind Tirek’s eyes, something that caused Twilight’s very soul to quake.

“Please, promise me you won’t hurt her,” she said, desperately looking at her corrupt sister-in-law.

“As long as you comply,” Tirek retorted.

Twilight tasted bile. She knew what she had to do but how could she allow him to do to her what he’d done to Cadence- to Luna- to Celestia? He saw her hesitation and tightened his hold on Heartbreaker. The pink alicorn whimpered.

“Your magic will be mine, Twilight,” he said, his voice low and sure, “Or this one will have to endure some sudden unfortunate amputation.”

Tears fell down Twilight’s face. Celestia forgive me, she thought. She slowly descended towards the ground, her horn ceasing its glow as her hooves connected with the hard surface. She hung her head in defeat. Tirek threw Heartbreaker to the side and stomped over until he was looming directly over the Princess of Friendship. Before the Darkness claimed her, she lifted her head and defiantly stared Tirek down.

“You won’t get away with this,” she declared. “My friends will stop you!”

“Not if you hunt them down,” Tirek said, smirking evilly as the black beam shot from his hand into her heart, lifting her into the air.

Twilight screamed.

The dark energy soaked into her skin, sweeping through her veins as it raced to her heart and mind. Like a virus it sought out and found the insecurities she kept locked away and latched onto them, festering and feeding them, inspiring anger, mistrust, and a thirst for knowledge and power. Her body began to change, her legs and neck growing, her muzzle and certain teeth extending, her mane and tail growing and lifting to defy gravity. Her wings grew, the shade of them and her coat eclipsing to a deep purple from the middle of her torso to her back hooves. Dark power surged into her horn and rimmed the sides of her eyes in an eternal bluish glow. The Darkness swept and completely locked away the light within her, leaving nothing but its corrupt whispers and an unending obsession to serve its host, her new king.

The purple alicorn bowed to Tirek in subservience. “Master,” she acknowledged.

“And what do they call you?” Tirek asked, his voice practically dripping in triumph.

The alicorn rose, her eyes aglow with wickedness. “Midnight Sparkle.”

The centaur’s grin was wide as he studied her. “You will make a fine addition to my guard. Come, we have much to do and I do not want to keep your sisters waiting much longer.”

“Yes, Master,” Midnight Sparkle bowed again, eyeing Heartbreaker as she struggled to her feet.

The purple alicorn’s lips pulled back in a smirk at such weakness before she turned and followed Tirek into the ruined throne room.

“I must return to Canterlot,” Tirek said as both Midnight Sparkle and Heartbreaker approached. “But you, Midnight Sparkle, will remain here until your task is complete.”

“What task is that?”

“I want you to find the friend you sent away and bring her to me.”

“Starlight Glimmer? She’s no friend of mine,” Midnight Sparkle snarled. “She’s a cheap shadow compared to me.”

“Regardless, I want her found,” Tirek commanded. “Unharmed, if you can help it.”

Midnight Sparkle growled slightly in annoyance. “Can’t I roughen her up a little bit?”

“No,” Tirek said flatly. “And I also want you to bring me your old friends. I can’t have the five of them attempting to ruin my plans.”

“It shouldn’t be too hard to find them,” she said with a smirk.

“See that you do,” said Tirek, “Or you’ll discover what happens when you disappoint me.”

She looked at Heartbreaker who was still wincing as she flexed her wings. She turned back to her master.

“I’ll find them.”