• Published 14th Sep 2022
  • 1,183 Views, 125 Comments

Discord's Patchwork Adventure - Comicizzum



Discord is cursed due to a cruel misunderstanding while an ancient evil force teams up with Tirek to ultimately ruin Equestria.

  • ...
1
 125
 1,183

Holiday

Twilight was frustrated. Even though she’d been magically healed, the royal doctor had given strict instructions that she take it easy for a week. She wasn’t allowed to use any spells above a certain level and she was banned from flying to ensure her wing made a full recovery. She was also required to see a therapist; her only comfort in that last command being that the other princesses had to do the same.

She’d just finished her second session with the castle’s therapist, Pathfinder. While it had been a really successful discussion, it had also left her mentally and emotionally drained. She really wanted to process and reflect on everything they'd talked about but she didn’t have time. She was due for a meeting with the other princesses; the first they would have since being restored.

Upon reaching the door to Celestia’s formal sitting room, Twilight felt her body seize up. Her heart started pounding faster and her breathing became labored. For a brief moment she was thrust back into memory, recalling the torture the three evil alicorns had inflicted upon her in a prison cell. Her wing joint started to ache. Closing her eyes, Twilight practiced steadying her breathing while encouraging her mind to focus on the princesses she loved rather than their evil counterparts. Once relative calm was restored, she put on a smile and pushed open the door.

The others were already present, each sitting on a large pillow surrounding a low table occupied with steaming tea and a plate of untouched cookies.

“Sorry I’m late,” she said while sitting down. “My session with Pathfinder ran a little later than expected.”

“That’s okay, Twilight,” Celestia said with a tentative smile. “We haven’t been waiting very long.”

A slightly awkward silence descended but it was to be expected. Pathfinder had assured the discomfort would clear as they continued to interact and treat each other with kindness and respect.

Cadence passed Twilight a cup of tea and said, “We were just discussing replacing the stained glass windows in the throne room. What do you think about ordering a new stained glass window depicting the Champions’ defeat of Shadow?”

“I think it would be appropriate,” Twilight said, sipping the tea. “I’m all for sharing pony history.”

“The real question is whether to have the window display our evil selves or not,” said Luna.

Twilight frowned. “I think we should have Shardas draw up a few sketches and then choose from one of them.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” Celestia complimented.

“Right, stained glass windows aside, we need to move to the main topic of this meeting,” Luna said while crossing her front hooves. “I’m sure each of you has been approached by ponies concerning what we plan to do with Discord.”

Each of them nodded. Just that morning a guard had asked Twilight if she was going to keep her promise to the army of putting Discord on trial.

“Several ponies are angry he isn’t locked up in a cell,” Cadence muttered.

“Something has to be done,” Celestia admitted. “I understand Shadow’s actions were his own but I do feel Discord neglected his past atrocities and should be held accountable for them, at least.”

“Agreed,” Luna seconded.

“While that’s fair, I also think it wise to remember all the progress he’s made since reformation,” said Twilight. “He’s not a villain anymore. We can’t treat him like one.”

“I second that,” said Cadence. “And, as the Princess of Love, I must insist that whatever we decide, his relationship with Fluttershy remains unharmed.”

“I must say that development was a surprise to me,” Luna muttered. “From her dreams I knew how she felt but I never thought Discord capable of settling down in a permanent relationship.”

“I confess I had hoped a strong bond would form between them,” Celestia revealed, much to Twilight’s surprise. “After you and your friends defeated him the first time, Twilight, Fluttershy told me what happened in the maze. When she didn’t fall prey to his temptations, I knew there was something special about her and that Discord would recognize it as well. I was right in thinking she would be the best to reform him. The most I’d hoped for was friendship. I’m surprised but pleased by their romance. I too feel that whatever we decide, we need to keep them together.”

“Returning him to stone is not an option then,” said Luna, “But we have to appease our subjects' demand for justice.”

“May I suggest some form of community service?” said Twilight with a hopeful lilt.

Celestia shook her head ruefully. “I fear that will not be enough.”

“Well, we can’t keep him locked up as some kind of prisoner,” said Cadence. “Confined house arrest for a Chaos god would be the worst thing we could do; it would be more torture for us than for him.”

“True,” Luna chuckled. “What about forbidding him from using his chaos magic?”

“That can never be an option,” Twilight stated fiercely.

“Why not?”

“Apparently he once rid his house of chaos in an attempt to make Fluttershy feel more comfortable and began to fade away,” Twilight explained. “Fluttershy told me that as a creature of pure chaos he has to have it in his life or he’ll cease to exist.”

“Oh,” Luna muttered, her cheeks darkening. “I didn’t know that. I never would have suggested-”

“It’s okay, Luna,” Celestia said kindly. “For the record, I didn’t know that would happen either.”

“So if we can't stop him from using magic and we can’t give community service, what can we do?” asked Cadence.

Celestia set down her tea cup. “There really is only one choice.” She looked at Twilight. “But I don’t want to suggest it, given what may result.”

Twilight frowned. “I don’t understand.”

Luna stared at her sister and scowled. “Given the past, I don’t want to agree but I think you’re right.”

“Right about what?” Twilight demanded.

“Exile, Twilight,” Celestia answered.

The purple princess felt her stomach drop. “What?”

Sensing her dismay, Luna quickly elaborated, “Removing Discord from our lands will ensure peace of mind for our subjects and will allow Fluttershy to remain with him.”

“But,” Twilight muttered, “If she goes with him…”

“Depending on her feelings, you may not see her for a very long time,” said Celestia, glancing at Luna.

Twilight shook her head. “That can’t be our only option. There has to be something else!”

“There may be other punishments,” Cadence said, “but this one will keep them free and together.”

“But they’re family!” Twilight argued.

“That’s why exile would be best,” said Luna. “This Ascension Fluttershy will undergo will ensure their relationship is an eternal one. We can set Discord’s exile for a hundred years, giving plenty of time for the majority of ponies affected by Shadow to pass on.”

“He and Fluttershy can permanently return afterwards,” Celestia added. “A century is honestly not very long, Twilight. It will be a small sacrifice for us.”

“Maybe for you but what about my friends?” Twilight snapped. “Pinkie and Applejack might still be around because they’re earth ponies but there’s no way Rarity and Rainbow Dash will still be alive!”

Celestia frowned. “I know how hard this is going to be for you, Twilight. The loss will be significant but I fear you have overlooked something.” Twilight’s brow furrowed and her mentor gave a delicate smile. “Discord may be exiled but Fluttershy won't be. If desired, she can visit whenever she wants.”

“And besides princess duties, there’ll be nothing stopping you or your friends from going to visit her,” Luna revealed.

Twilight sat back in thought, her cheeks darkening slightly from her earlier outburst. Celestia’s suggestion actually sounded quite appealing when put that way. Sheepishly, she apologized. “I hadn’t considered that.”

Celestia smiled at her.

“Exile is suitable but we have yet to decide where Discord will be exiled to,” Cadence pointed out. “Is he to stay in his own dimension or some distant land far away from Equestria?”

“Being who he is, you won’t be able to confine him to his dimension alone.”

The four princesses jumped at the sudden appearance and input from a bright white alicorn magically sitting on her own produced cushion between Twilight and Celestia.

“Amity!” Twilight cried in surprise. “What are you doing here?” Realizing how rude that sounded, she quickly added, “Not that you can’t be here. It’s just that we weren’t expecting you.”

Amity smiled kindly. “It’s okay, Twilight. I am eavesdropping, I confess. Forgive me.” There was a quick round of “of course we do”s before she continued. “Thank you. As I was saying, you can’t exile Discord solely to his dimension because he’s the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony. His job is to cause anarchy on this planet. He has to physically visit in order to do that. That doesn’t mean he has to be in Equestria specifically; he just needs to be somewhere on the planet from time to time.”

The alicorns pondered this before Twilight said, “What about the Everfree Forest? That land technically belongs to Discord and is no longer part of Equestria, right?”

“While true and a good suggestion, I feel that since it is a small speck of land surrounded by our own, that might not be the best place to confine him,” said Celestia gently.

“He needs to be somewhere far away from the mass pony population,” Luna muttered. “Someplace remote.”

“May I make a suggestion?” asked Amity.

“By all means,” Celestia invited.

“Don’t worry about where he goes. Discord has been on this planet longer than all of us. I’m sure he’ll think of the perfect place for him and Fluttershy to settle during the exile.”

“I guess that’s true,” Twilight said thoughtfully.

“You can also make it mandatory for them to return to his castle in the Everfree for the holidays,” she added. “That way you and your friends will be able to see them at least once a year.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” said Cadence.

“Twilight?” Celestia prompted.

The purple alicorn was sitting quietly, thinking. “I like it,” she muttered. “It will appease the general population’s need for justice, allow Fluttershy to stay with Discord, and make it so me and my friends can still see them.” She looked up at the others. “This could work.”

Celestia smiled. “Are we all in agreement then?”

The other alicorns nodded.

“When should we hold the trial to give the verdict?” asked Luna.

Celestia frowned in thought. “A week after Hearth’s Warming. Let Discord enjoy these next few days undisturbed with Fluttershy and her family. I believe he’s earned that much.”

The others quickly agreed.

Though still exhausted from the morning’s events, Twilight felt confident with this decision. She was quite hopeful that it would appease all parties too.

“Well, I think we have enough on our plates to be getting on with,” Luna muttered, stretching. “Shall we conclude and return to our other duties?”

“I think that will suffice,” said Celestia. “Cadence? Twilight?”

“Fine with me,” said the Love Princess.

“Me too,” said Twilight.

“Meeting adjourned. Amity, would you mind staying? There are a few things I’d like to ask you,” said Celestia.

If she were more coherent Twilight would have been curious to know what Celestia wanted to discuss but the Princess of Friendship had reached her physical and emotional limit. Excusing herself, she left Luna and Cadence in the hall and returned to her room. She was asleep the moment her head hit the pillow.


It was Hearth’s Warming Eve and Fluttershy and Discord were in the Canterlot Gardens; one of the few places devoid of angry glares and loud accusatory whispers that followed them everywhere they went within the castle. Per the princesses request, they had remained at the castle as guests since Shadow’s defeat- for their safety and the appeasement of nervous ponies. But today they had been permitted to spend the holiday with Fluttershy’s parents in Cloudsdale. They had been getting ready to leave when Celestia sent them a note, asking to meet in the gardens before their departure. She was running late so Discord decided to busy himself by making a snowpony, chiseling the mound he’d gathered into a practically perfect replica of Fluttershy. The yellow pegasus watched his every move with tenderness, her heart filled with love.

Due to the palace staff’s hostility towards Discord, they had spent the last few days mostly in solitude, giving Fluttershy plenty of time to reflect on everything that had happened in her life since the day she brought his doll self home from the carnival. In just a few stress-filled weeks their relationship had transformed from friends to special someponies to fiancés. And yet, despite the rapid progression, Fluttershy now felt like it was long overdue. She’d been in love with him for years. Was it wrong that she was seriously considering eloping this very day?

But she knew that she could never go through with such a sporadic plan. Discord would be all for it but their friends would be devastated. Rarity was so looking forward to making her dress and Fluttershy could never deny Pinkie Pie the opportunity to plan a reception party. Running off to get married today would be entirely selfish. She’d waited this long. What was a few more days? Besides, while they were engaged, she and Discord had yet to make any official wedding plans; the fate of the world being in jeopardy responsible for that delay.

The yellow pegasus frowned, silently frustrated by the future wedding minutiae. Still she had much to be grateful for. If it hadn’t been for Spike, her greatest concern would not be planning a wedding but fighting against an evil Discord. Even now she balked at how close evil had come to corrupting her love. She really shouldn’t be dwelling on such things; she should be focusing on her future. But even that was uncertain, considering the ominous trial Twilight had condemned them to. Not to mention she had no idea what would happen after she Ascended. Would she return to Ponyville to manage Sweet Feather Sanctuary? Would she still teach at the School of Friendship? Or would she be sitting in this very garden with Discord as a lawn decoration?

“It’s quite a likeness.” Fluttershy let out a squeak of surprise and jumped. Celestia was standing right beside her, admiring Discord’s handiwork with the snow. She smiled at the young pegasus. “Forgive me; I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“P-Princess,” Fluttershy stuttered, lowering her head respectfully.

“Please, Fluttershy, we’re practically family,” she gently admonished, “Or, at least, so I’m told.”

Fluttershy blushed. She hadn’t thought of that. “I-I suppose we are.” She weakly smiled.

Now finished with his masterpiece, Discord flashed over next to the mares and stretched dramatically before resting an arm on the alicorn. “Ah, Celestia. Do tell, what brings the Princess of the Sun to our lovely patch of solitude this fine winter morn?”

Celestia frowned, removing his arm. “I’m sorry we have to meet here. I am not ignorant concerning my subjects’ behavior towards you, Discord. I want you to know I do not support it and would like to apologize on their behalf.”

He shrugged. “It’s nothing I’m not used to.”

Her frown deepened. “About that; I had some thoughts I wanted to share with you but first I must ask that you report to the palace a week after Hearth’s Warming for your trial.”

“You made your decision then,” he said, surprisingly calm.

“We have,” Celestia confessed. She looked at Fluttershy and added, “We think it will appease all parties.”

“That’s rather presumptuous,” Discord sneered. “But I am looking forward to how creative your punishment will be. Amity refused to return me to stone so it must be some other mundane task. A century of watching paint dry perhaps?”

“Discord, this is serious!” Fluttershy said, exasperated.

The draconequus sighed, removing any sense of humor he’d previously possessed. “I know it is, Shy; making light of a situation is one of my coping mechanisms.” He turned to Celestia. “I’ll be here,” he promised in all seriousness, “And I’ll accept whatever it is you’ve decided.”

“We both will,” Fluttershy said, standing bravely beside her beloved.

Celestia’s smile was a sad one. “Fluttershy, I speak for all the princesses when I say we truly support your relationship with Discord. I promise that what we’ve chosen will keep you two together.”

“Thank you.”

“My, how very thoughtful of you, Kay Kay,” Discord slurred. “No doubt Twilight and Cadence advocated that decision.”

Celestia looked rather hurt. “Do you really think so low of me? That I would not wish you the happiness you’ve found? Have you forgotten that it was I who asked Fluttershy to reform you?”

Discord’s grin slipped to a guilty scowl as Fluttershy muttered, “She’s right, Discord. I never would have befriended you had she not personally asked me to.”

“Oh, very well,” he grumbled. “I suppose we can award cake points to Celestia for being our matchmaker.”

A medal flashed around the princess’s neck and a thank you cake appeared at her hooves. Celestia smiled. “You’re welcome…uncle.”

Discord froze then groaned. “Sparkle; I’ll never forgive her for spilling the beans.”

Fluttershy brushed her wing against his side. “Oh, hush. You’re happy they know.”

The Lord of Chaos feigned denial. “If we’re done here, can we go? I’m eager to try that cloud fudge you said your mother makes.”

Fluttershy blushed. “It’s not that special.”

“Flutters, it’s part of your family’s traditions. It’s special to me.”

She smiled. Leave it to him to make her heart all aflutter with just a few words. Discord grinned. Celestia gently coughed, reminding them she was still there.

“I won’t keep you,” she said, “But, Discord, I did want to ask: In the future, would you be willing to host a new annual holiday for us?”

His ears perked up. “A new holiday?”

Celestia nodded. “Chaos Day.”

“Chaos Day?” he and Fluttershy repeated, flummoxed.

“Consider it a long overdue Hearth’s Warming gift.” Celestia smiled. “I want my subjects to learn that chaos is not something they need to fear. I would like to hold a day where you are allowed to- what is the expression? ‘Paint the town red’? Except in this case it would be all of Equestria. As long as we keep it within the parameters of nopony getting injured and all is restored to normal after twenty four hours.”

Discord stared. “You’re joking.” Celestia’s kind smile didn’t waver. “You’re serious?” he gasped.

“As I said, it’s long overdue. Will you accept?”

Discord looked like a draconequus in a chaos store. Flashing in front of her, he seized the princess’s hoof and happily shook it. “You’ve got yourself a deal, Kay Kay!”

She laughed, releasing her hoof. “We’ll discuss details at a later time. For now, you and Fluttershy should enjoy the holiday.”

Fluttershy was no fool. This was an olive branch; a means of apology not only for the necessary punishment the princesses were going to inflict but for the damage they had caused the couple while enslaved to Shadow. In all honesty, the extraordinary gift was overwhelming. A whole holiday dedicated to celebrating Discord! A day meant to help ponies understand and see what she saw in him. Fluttershy couldn’t have asked for a better gift.

With deep gratitude, the pegasus looked at Celestia and stammered, “Princess Celestia…I don’t…that is… we…”

“I think what Fluttershy is trying to say is, we forgive you, Celestia,” said Discord with a rare genuine smile. “All of you.”

Tears pooled in the princess’s eyes and she sniffled in a rare inelegant manner. “Thank you. I’ll be sure to tell the others.”

“Have a wonderful Hearth’s Warming,” Fluttershy genuinely wished.

Needing to collect herself, a grateful Celestia said her goodbyes and returned to the castle, leaving Discord and Fluttershy overwhelmed but happy in the freshly fallen snow.

“Well, I have to admit I wasn’t expecting that,” he confessed.

“Nor I,” Fluttershy muttered, her face flushed. “I wonder if they’ll let you pick the day.”

“If they do, I know exactly which one.” Discord grinned.

“Oh?”

“In the Mirror World it’s called April Fool’s Day; a day humans celebrate hoaxes and pranks. For us, its equivalent is the first day of the fourth month in our calendar year. Of course, I like the sound of Chaos Day better.”

“So it would be in the Spring.” Her favorite time of year. Fluttershy smiled. “I’d like that.”

“I thought you would,” Discord said, pulling out a snarling pocket watch. The face was literally attempting to bite off his digits. “Hmmm, if we want to be relatively on time we should probably get on our way.”

Fluttershy gazed at him knowingly. “Discord, there’s no need to be nervous. My parents are going to love you.”

“I think you forget that the last time I was in Cloudsdale, I wasn’t exactly an ally,” he muttered, flashing the watch away. “The Cloud Factory was one of the places I destroyed, Fluttershy. Your father was probably working that day.”

“Don’t assume he hates you before giving him a chance to know you,” she gently admonished.

“But what if he does?” Discord pressed. “I don’t want you to have to choose between me and your family.”

Fluttershy lifted off the ground. Gently, she caressed his face and delicately placed her lips against his. “My heart belongs to you,” she whispered. “Nopony -my parents included- can change that fact.”

Discord’s face softened as he gazed at her lovingly. “Thank you.”

She smiled. “You’re welcome.” Looking up at the sky, she muttered, “You are right though; we should be getting on our way.”

Due to the cold weather and strong winter winds, they decided against the long flight to Cloudsdale. Instead, with a quick snap, Discord teleported them right outside Mr. and Mrs. Shy’s front door. It was a humble looking two story home with a purple front door, cloud roof, and rainbow fence.

Sensing Discord’s nerves, Fluttershy took his hand and squeezed. “I’m right beside you,” she reminded.

He sent her a weak smile.

Raising a hoof, she knocked twice on the door. Mr. Shy answered, his face beaming with excitement until he saw who was accompanying his daughter. His kind eyes shrank in fright at the towering sight of Discord and he gasped while retreating backward into the house.

“Dad,” Fluttershy greeted, hugging him. “It’s so good to see you!”

“F-Fluttershy,” he squeaked, still staring up at Discord. “W-What-? W-Why-?”

Discord shuffled from foot to hoof, unsure what to do. Fluttershy was about to make introductions when Mrs. Shy appeared around the corner from the kitchen.

“Fluttershy! Oh it’s so good to see youAAAHHHH!” She screamed at the sight of Discord and quickly cowered behind her quivering husband.

Fluttershy grabbed her parents’ hooves. “Mom, Dad, I’d like to introduce you to Discord, my fiance.”

“Hello,” he said, waving his paw. “Would you mind if I…?”

“He wants to come in?” Mr. Shy squeaked.

Fluttershy frowned. “Dad. He’s my fiancé. Can he please come in?”

“F-Fi-Fian-Fiancé?” Mrs. Shy spluttered before fainting clean away.

Discord snapped up a cotton candy cloud, catching her before she hit the floor.

“Thank you, Discord,” Fluttershy said, elbowing her father.

“O-Oh, um, yes… t-thank you,” he stuttered. “Um, w-would you care t-to come in?”

Discord stooped down and stepped over the threshold. His form was too tall for the living room so he shrunk a couple feet, his antler and goat horn now an inch away from touching the cloudy ceiling.

“It’s so n-nice to f-finally have you visit,” Mr. Shy said while skittishly moving towards one of the living room couches. “Fluttershy has mentioned you q-quite often in the past.”

Discord smiled as he sat down next to Fluttershy on the opposite couch, his tail naturally wrapping around her body. Mr. Shy looked distinctly uncomfortable with their closeness but didn't comment.

Fluttershy looked around the living room. The rainbow wallpapered walls were lined with twinkle lights and a decorated tree stood in the corner by the large window displaying the snowy backyard. The mantle above the fireplace already sported a Hearth’s Warming doll for each member of the family. Fluttershy frowned at the lack of a Discord doll next to hers. She couldn’t blame her parents for that though; she hadn’t had the opportunity to share their engagement until now.

“Will Mrs. Shy be alright?” Discord asked, concerned.

“Oh, she’ll be fine,” Mr. Shy assured. “When Fluttershy told us she was bringing a special guest, we didn’t think it would be, well-”

“Me?”

“Not that we’re upset!” Mr. Shy added hastily. “W-We’re glad to have you!”

Discord smiled awkwardly. “In light of recent events, I appreciate that.”

Mr. Shy looked like he was about to faint at the sight of Discord’s sharp teeth. Fluttershy tried to smooth things over.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you who I was bringing, Dad. I wanted to tell you about Discord and myself directly.”

Mr. Shy looked between them and coughed. “S-So you’re really…?”

“Engaged?” Discord proudly held up his hand, displaying the ring. “Fluttershy’s proposal was given in the perfect chaotic setting! It couldn’t have been a better moment.”

F-Fluttershy proposed?” Mr. Shy looked at his daughter in disbelief. “I would have thought…”

“Indeed she did!” Discord grinned, ruffling the top of Fluttershy's head. “Little dear beat me to it.”

“How very… nice.”

An awkward silence began to fill the room. Fluttershy bit her lip and searched around until she saw the new squirrel ornaments on the tree. She was just about to comment on them when somepony rather suddenly kicked in the front door. Mrs. Shy shrieked awake, looking around with wide, panicked eyes. “What’s going on?” she cried.

“I’m home!” Zephyr Breeze sang, prancing his way inside. “You would not believe how difficult it was flying through that wind! My mane is in serious jeopardy.” He shut the door and looked around the room. “Flutter Butter! I didn’t think you’d be here already. Oh, hey Discord.”

The draconequus raised his paw in greeting. “Zephyr.”

Fluttershy’s jaw dropped. “You know each other?!”

“Oh sure!” Zephyr said, unloading his winter gear on their mother before sitting down in the green armchair; she immediately went to work putting it on the coat rack, making Fluttershy frown in disapproval. “Remember when you tried to help me find a job in Ponyville? Well, after clearing up our little misunderstanding with the windows, Spike invited me to a game of Ogres and Oubliettes; said he needed help coming up with a villain comparable to the Mane-iac. Well, how could I pass up an opportunity to share my expertise of mane knowledge? I went to the game, met Discord, and the two of us reached an understanding.”

Fluttershy raised an eyebrow. “And that would be?”

“As long as he doesn’t do anything to hurt you, we’re cool,” Zephyr said, leaning back to stretch. “Ain’t that right, Snakey-Snake?”

“Snakey-Snake?”

“A little nickname from the game,” Discord explained, completely unbothered by it.

The yellow pegasus sat back, stunned. “Why didn’t you tell me you’d met my brother?”

He shrugged. “It never came up.”

“Not that I have anything against you being in my house or anything but, what exactly are you doing here, Discord?” Zephyr asked.

“First off, it’s mom and dad’s house,” Fluttershy reminded, “And he’s here because he’s family.”

Zephyr’s eyes widened as Discord flashed the ring. “Get out of town! You two went and got married?! And you didn’t think to invite me?”

“We’re engaged,” Discord clarified.

“Oh, that’s cool,” he said, relaxing again. “When’s the big day? I gotta say, I do hope I get to do something important like hold the rings or something. Say, would you let me do your hair, Flutters?”

Fluttershy groaned. “We still have to work out the details and no, Zephyr; I already promised Rarity that she could.”

“What? You’d choose that stuffy unicorn over-” Fluttershy glared. Zephyr coughed. “I mean, you’d choose that nice unicorn over your own flesh and blood?”

“Can we please talk about something else?” she asked, exasperated.

“We should at least know the day you two want to get m-married, dear,” Mrs. Shy said, looking rather faint again.

Fluttershy and Discord glanced at each other.

“Um, sooner rather than later,” the former muttered, blushing. “That’s all we can tell you for now.”

Mrs. Shy pursed her lips. “Fluttershy, can I-”

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Everypony jumped as a sudden pair of angry hooves pounded on the front door.

“We know you’re in there, Chaos Lord!” somepony shouted just outside. “Come out with your claws in the air!”

Zephyr released a weak laugh. “Riiight. Did I mention that when I landed on the doorstep there was an angry mob gathering outside?”

Fluttershy glared at his sheepish grin and angrily snapped, “No, you didn’t mention that!” before looking at Discord with a worried frown.

“Just how big was this mob, son?” asked Mr. Shy.

Discord summoned up a pair of binoculars and frowned. “About half the city, I’d say.”

“What?!” Fluttershy cried.

Discord handed her the binoculars to see for herself. They somehow allowed the pegasus to see through the wall and curtains. The street and sky was crowded with angry pegasi.

“Maybe they’re carolers?” said Mrs. Shy.

“Last I checked, carolers don’t carry torches and pitchforks,” Discord growled, standing up. “Pugnacious ponies. I’ll deal with this.”

“Wait!” Mr. Shy said, standing too. Discord paused. “At least let me see what they want first. Perhaps this is all a big misunderstanding.”

From the look on Discord’s face he sincerely doubted it. Fluttershy rested a hoof on his arm and looked up at him pleadingly.

“Very well,” he sighed, sitting back down.

She whinnied in relief and took his hand, holding it in a vise-like grip. Mr. Shy headed for the door. Taking a deep breath, he looked reassuringly at his little family and opened it.

“Cirrus Swirl, are you and Daisy May alright?” a gruff-sounding male pony inquired.

“We’re fine, Whiplash,” Mr. Shy replied. “Why do you ask?”

“Jack Hammer said he saw the Lord of Chaos appear on your doorstep,” Whiplash explained. “Is that no-good snake in your house?”

“He is,” Mr. Shy confirmed. “But he isn’t here to cause trouble.”

“Would you mind if we heard that from him?”

Mr. Shy frowned. “You don’t believe me?”

“For all we know, he could have your whole family under a spell!” somepony shouted.

“Yeah!” Several others loudly agreed.

“That monster isn’t welcome here!” somepony else bellowed.

“My husband was missing for two weeks because of him!”

“He turned the Wonderbolts into wyverns!”

“He betrayed the princesses!”

“He's a traitor!”

“Throw him out!”

Mr. Shy held up his hooves. “There’s no need for violence! Mr. Discord is our guest. I’m sure we can-”

But whatever Mr. Shy was about to say was cut short by a brick sailing through the window. Glass flew everywhere! Fluttershy and her mother shrieked while Zephyr Breeze yelped and dived behind his chair. Discord acted quickly, snapping his fingers and turning the flying glass into harmless bubbles.

“Is everypony okay?” he asked, assessing the room.

“I-I think so,” Fluttershy said before wincing. Touching her cheek, she felt a small shard of glass embedded in her skin. She pulled her hoof away and saw blood. “Oh,” she muttered in surprise. It only took a split second for her shock to turn to fear. She looked at Discord and saw exactly what she was dreading to see.

The draconequus was staring at the blood on her hoof, an expression of absolute fury on his face. His lips were pulled back in a snarl and his eyes, now aglow, had turned into slits. A growl was rising in his throat. Fluttershy opened her mouth but before she could utter a word, Discord teleported outside.

“Oh, no!” she cried, flying for the door. Knocking her poor father out of the way, she flew into the yard.

Discord was floating in midair, his extended paw and claw glowing with chaos magic. The very atmosphere had darkened and black clouds filled the sky; an occasional fork of purple lightning expelled from their shadowy depths towards the unfortunate city below. The mob that had once been so sure of themselves were now screaming in fear and terror, their own torches and pitchforks floating mere inches from their wide-eyed faces and frozen forms.

Fluttershy thrust herself upward, coming to a stop in front of her beloved. His face was filled with anger and rage but behind those fierce emotions she saw hurt. And that was what she reached for, truly believing that her kindness could calm his aching storm.

She took his head in her hooves. “Look at me,” she commanded. It took all of his willpower but eventually Discord tore his fiery gaze away from the mob. Fluttershy put every ounce of love she had into her eyes. “Look at me,” she whispered.

Slowly, like the setting of the sun, Discord’s rage softened. The lightning ceased, the clouds turned to wisps, and the torches and pitchforks fell to the ground. Fluttershy’s smile was tender as Discord raised his claw to caress her cheek, his thumb sliding across the cut. She felt the familiar pull of his magic remove the tiny shard beneath her skin before sealing the wound closed.

“I’m okay,” she assured, leaning into his touch.

“They hurt you,” he muttered.

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean you have to hurt them,” she gently admonished.

“Fluttershy, they threw a brick through your parents’ window!” he reminded, some of his earlier anger returning as said brick appeared in his paw.

“They’re just scared. They don’t see what I see. We have to help them.”

“They’re not like you, Fluttershy! They’ll only see what they want,” he snapped. “And I’m not going to stand by and give them an opportunity to further hurt you or your family!”

Fluttershy sighed. She looked back at the mob. While flummoxed by the sudden change in events, most of the pegasi were still showing signs of distrust and fear. The Bearer of Kindness wanted to cry. This was not how she wanted Discord’s first Hearth’s Warming with her family to be.

She wanted her mother and Discord to bond in the kitchen, making cloud fudge while she and her father worked on a puzzle and Zephyr regaled them with his latest adventures in the salon. She wanted her father to show Discord his cloud collection while she and her mother discussed what flowers to plant in her garden next spring. She wanted to sit around the fireplace and sing carols with Zephyr while Discord shared his knowledge of knitting with her parents. And she wanted to stay up later than everypony else and share a special kiss with Discord under the mistletoe in front of the fire. Then, in the morning, they would unwrap presents and spend the day celebrating in love and happiness. That was her vision. That was her hope.

But this angry mob had forced another reality, one that required her to sacrifice her desires. They would not be pacified. Not until they knew Discord was gone.

“We have to leave,” she muttered, her face falling in an unhappy frown.

“What?” Discord cried. “Why? Just because they’re trying to ruin our holiday-”

“Discord, we can’t stay,” she said firmly. “They’re not ready for you. It’s too soon.”

“But… What about your family?” he asked.

The Shys had gathered on the cloudy lawn, silently observing the two with worry. Fluttershy’s vision was blurred as she looked down at them.

“There’ll always be another year we can celebrate together,” she said. “But, for now, I think it would be best if you and I spent the holiday alone.”

Where nopony can hurt us.

Discord wanted to protest but he could see her resolve. “Are you sure?” he pressed.

Fluttershy’s heart was silently breaking as she nodded. “I’m sure. Just, let me say goodbye, okay?”

He frowned but nodded. Drifting down to the ground, he released her from his embrace. The moment his arms fell away, Fluttershy felt cold. She rushed to her parents, hugging them both.

“I’m sorry,” she muttered, “but it looks like we’re not welcome here.”

“You are in our home!” Mr. Shy argued, the appalling actions of his peers having inspired his resolve of accepting Discord as part of the family, despite his earlier reservations.

Fluttershy wiped a tear from her eye. “Thanks, Dad. That truly means the world to me but it isn’t safe for Discord and I to stay. The hurt Shadow inflicted on these ponies is too raw; they can’t separate him from Discord yet. And we can’t stay, knowing the violence could escalate. I’ll let you know when the wedding is. Happy Hearth’s Warming.”

She pulled away intending to return to Discord but Zephyr Breeze pulled her into his own hug. “Take care, sis,” he muttered. “I was actually looking forward to spending time with you. ”

She sent him a watery smile. “Me too, Zeph. You’ll come to the wedding?”

“Of course!” he replied. “I wouldn’t miss it.”

“Take care, Fluttershy,” her mother said, giving her another hug.

“I will,” she promised.

Once back by his side, Discord scooped her up and snapped his fingers; the Shys broken window reappeared, good as new. He then turned around and faced the mob now back on the ground. They took a step back but tried to keep a brave face. Some had retrieved their pitchforks.

“You know, your race is supposed to be known as one that emulates love and harmony,” he said piously, “But those characteristics seem to be severely lacking in this particular piece of Equestria. Princess Celestia would be ashamed of you! Hate me if you will but the Shys have done nothing to deserve your ire! You break their window and harm their daughter for showing me kindness and you call me a monster? Well, enjoy your Hearth’s Warming holiday, hypocrites!”

The last thing Fluttershy saw before Discord whisked her away was a slew of guilty faces.

They reappeared in the dark, empty throne room of the Chaos Castle in the Everfree, the cold of winter seeping through the cracks and chilling Fluttershy to the bone. Tears spilled from her eyes as she held onto Discord and sobbed, lamenting over how terribly wrong the day had turned. She heard several snaps but his arms never moved from holding her; he must have used his tail tuft. The cold instantly vanished, replaced by a warmth similar to what was felt in the summertime. Fluttershy’s shivering relaxed but her withers still shook as she cried. Discord stroked the back of her head and kissed the top of her brow, holding her close to his chest. These loving ministrations eventually calmed her and the exhausted pegasus finally managed to lift her head. What she saw made her gasp in shock and wonder.

Endless garlands of holly and twinkle lights swooped across the ceiling in mismatched patterns while the pillars supporting the ceiling were coiled in garlands laden with ornaments in every shape and size. Impossible snow fell from above, the silvery flakes disappearing just above Discord’s antler and horn. Fluttershy unconsciously removed herself from his embrace, her wings flapping as she twisted around to take in the beauty all around her. The large hall had been turned into some kind of ballroom, soft music playing from invisible instruments as ponies made from wax and taffy flitted across the marble floor in an intricate dance.

Behind them a huge hearth burned with a fire that couldn’t decide whether to stay orange or blue, the flames shifting and flickering happily over the coals and wood. A handsome mantlepiece displayed a backdrop garland of holly and six pairs of ice skates; the same ones from the day Discord chose to reform. A large rug and two chairs sat in front of the fire and, beside the fireplace, a huge tree decorated with all kinds of animal ornaments and random knickknacks glittered in the firelight. A tray filled with food and drink hovered in midair between the chairs, loaded with everything from healthy snacks to candy.

Discord cleared his throat to regain her attention. He was holding a present in his hands. “I know it’s not the Hearth’s Warming you wanted but-”

Fluttershy lowered her hooves from her mouth and flung her arms around Discord’s neck. “It’s wonderful!” she muttered, nuzzling his fur. “Thank you. Thank you so much!”

Discord kissed the top of her head and she smiled at him with eyes shining like stars. He offered her the present again. “Happy Hearth’s Warming, my dear.”

She tenderly took the box and lifted the lid. Inside was a stuffed draconequus; an exact replica of what Discord had looked like as a doll. A watery chuckle escaped her as she lifted it from the box. Even the green stitching she’d used to repair his arm was there.

“It’s perfect,” she said happily, hugging it to her chest.

“I figured I owed you one,” he chuckled, “since I kind of replaced yours.”

She laughed. “I love it.”

“There’s something else,” he revealed. “Look at the neck.”

Fluttershy looked down again and saw a beautiful band of gold hanging off a thin pink ribbon. Fused with the metal was a pink sapphire butterfly surrounded by two diamond flowers. Fluttershy gasped, her eyes darting back up to Discord’s.

“I know you beat me to it, but this is the second half of my gift so, indulge me, please,” he requested. Fluttershy smiled and waited, her eyes filling with happy tears. Flashing the band into his hand, Discord knelt before her and smiled. “Fluttershy,” he began, “I fell in love with you a long time ago. When, exactly, I’m not sure. But one thing I have come to know is I would be utterly lost without you and your never-ending kindness. Before, when I originally made this plan, I was just going to give you the doll and ask if I could be your special somepony. But now, after everything that’s happened, I figure a proposal is more appropriate.” Fluttershy giggled and nodded. “The truth is, I want to marry you. I want to spend the rest of my chaotic life with you. So, for the sake of pleasing the fans, I’ll ask this time: Will you do me the honor of Ascending to become my eternal wife and companion?”

“Yes,” she whispered, her heart nearly bursting with love. “YES!”

She threw her forelegs around his shoulders and the two shared a passionate kiss of love and joy. Discord slipped the band onto her left forehoof, admiring it and the meaning it held. Fluttershy beamed up at him until she came to a horrible realization and her smile slipped from her face.

A very regretful Twilight had told her what Midnight Sparkle had done to her home. She hadn't had a chance to go see it for herself but she was fairly certain her present to Discord had been destroyed during the alicorn’s rampage. She didn't have anything to give him.

“What's wrong?” Discord asked, his brow furrowed in worry at the sight of her tears.

“My gift for you,” she said. “I think Midnight Sparkle destroyed it.”

His shoulders visibly relaxed. “That's okay,” he consoled. “You agreeing to marry me is the greatest gift you could give.”

“But it would have matched your gift to me perfectly,” she said with a sad frown. “I was going to give you my Hearth’s Warming doll.” Her cheeks flushed. “So you could always have me with you during the holiday…”

Discord's eyebrows rose in surprise before he chuckled. “Well, if that's the case…”

He snapped his fingers and the present Fluttershy had wrapped for him appeared in his hand. Fluttershy gasped in surprise. The present looked the same as it did the night she wrapped it.

“I may have snooped during my last visit and found it behind the pickle jar in your pantry,” he confessed. “I do love surprises. I didn't peek to see what it was but I saw it was for me. That's why I went to Hope Hollow in the first place; I wanted to make sure I gave you something meaningful too.”

“It looks okay,” she muttered.

“I may have had to restore it,” Discord confessed. “May I open it please?”

“Oh, of course!”

Fluttershy handed it to him and he eagerly ripped off the paper. The Hearth’s Warming doll was old and tattered, the button eyes loose and chipped.

“I thought of fixing it up to make it look new but-”

“It's perfect,” Discord said. He looked at her with a huge grin. “I love it!”

“Really?” she said hopefully.

Discord nodded. “Imperfection is my preferred style!” He picked up the draconequus doll and placed it and his present on the mantelpiece between the ice skates. He put his arm around Fluttershy's withers. “See? They were made for each other.”

Fluttershy gazed up at him. “Yes, they were.”

Discord glanced down at her and grinned. “I suppose that comment earned me a kiss?”

“Mm-hmmm,” she smiled.

Discord leaned down and she happily obliged.

The rest of the evening they spent together. For a while, they merely cuddled in front of the fire, watching the wax and taffy ponies dance. But then Discord scooped her up and whisked her underground to the castle’s giant kitchen where they made cloud fudge and engaged in an epic flour fight. After cleaning up, they returned to the throne room where the wax ponies performed a mime version of the Hearth’s Warming story. After their performance they began to dance again with Discord and Fluttershy joining in the middle of the dance floor. After several musical numbers Discord turned the ballroom into a giant ice skating rink and they swirled around, laughing and enjoying the thrilling chill on their cheeks. Eventually Fluttershy grew tired and requested they end the evening cuddling in front of the fire. Discord magicked up a large basket complete with pillows and blankets for them to sleep in. He curled around her and she happily pressed into his side.

The day hadn’t gone at all how she’d planned but this ending was something Fluttershy could certainly live with. Lifting her lips to his, she released a contented sigh. “I love you, Discord. Happy Hearth’s Warming.”

He caressed her face, his eyes shining tenderly in the firelight. “I love you too. Happy Hearth’s Warming, my Fluttershy.”

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! When I started writing this story, I knew Hearth's Warming was going to be part of it but I wasn't sure if I would actually get to the holiday scene during our actual holiday season. That was a happy happenstance. Also, I just realized this is chapter 24 and it's all about Hearth's Warming Eve. Another happy happenstance. Seriously, this wasn't planned at all.
This story is winding down but there are several things I want to include (that will take more chapters) before the finale. Thank you for sticking with me. A comment/review would be a greatly appreciated present!
PS. Mr. and Mrs. Shy's names (Cirrus Swirl and Daisy May) aren't canon from the show. They were just ones I came up with on my own. Cheers.