• Published 2nd Sep 2022
  • 366 Views, 8 Comments

The Artificer Comes - Tower of 0



Strange magical surges all over Equestria pull forth a visitor from another world. One that could be hiding more than they know.

  • ...
2
 8
 366

I - Discovery

The ebb and flow of magic in the land of Equestria is unpredictable at best and unforgiving at worst. No pony knows this better than Princess Celestia, Solar Monarch, Ruler of these lands she calls home. Whom of which is pacing around her chambers late at night trying her earnest to figure out where this magic storm has risen from. It formed in the blinks of an eye from the coast, quickly moving across her lands. Amount of damages it could be causing is unknown. Yet, she can feel it clear as day since her natural affinity for magic has deep ties to Equestria.

Curious enough, she sees it rest above the Everfree forest. Rather peculiar since magic storms aren't known for just stopping above a specific location. They're commonly known for forming quick, causing mayhem and destruction, then dissipating as fast as they formed. Usually scarring the land in unusual ways while leaving towns and cities in disarray. Some of the more superstitious ponies lend these violent storms of arcane energy as a curse from her banished sister. Leftover dark magic of Nightmare Moon they will claim. Celestia knows better, they never have the mark of her sister. This one, however, has a different mark. One that isn't from Equestria.

From the balcony of her room, she watches. A massive lightning strike near the center of the forest followed by the loudest crash of thunder that it shakes the castle from there. A lone Night Guard gingerly enters shortly after the bellowing rumble of a magic storm now long gone. Leaving no trace that it was ever there. Celestia turns to face her loyal subject, in a silent exchange of words, they leave her be in her chambers. The princess dares not to endanger any of her guard to the power of the arcane storms, no matter how brave they may be. She spreads her wings and launches herself high into the skies.

Her extended knowledge of the arcane makes her the best qualified for the task at hoof. Residual magic tends to hang around for quite a while and the less ponies she can keep out of harm's way, the better. If only her sister were here, she tended to lean more in towards sorcery. Celestia tended to be more of the diplomat, almost a politician really, time has made her quite powerful with magical know-how. Still not as strong with the arcane arts, but still enough to handle most situations.

Celestia is closing in on the Everfree, sounds of something unknown break through the silence. Once. Twice. A fourth. A fifth. They all sound like thunder. Barking and howling come from below the canopy of trees, Timberwolves. On the hunt but it seems their prey is giving up quite the fight. As the alicorn begins her descent, she spots a small green creature dive out of the treeline in to the clearing. It has something in its claws but puts it away just as quick. She watches with mild interest as the creature pulls out a small blade, a dagger by the looks of it. Celestia can sense that its weak now, covered in wounds no doubt caused by the very things that its about to have a showdown with. She has to intervene before it's too late. A silent landing as one of those vile timberwolves lurches forwards, one quick blast from her horn later and it gets blasted to pieces.

"It's alright, little one. I'll bring you to safety." She calls out as the creature seems to just pass out.

Quick thinking and quicker reflexes stop the being from falling to the ground completely. Her wing has reached out in its own and wraps itself around the curious form of the small creature before her. Whatever it may be, it desperately needs help. A further gaze down at its curious choice of attire. A brown trench coat over a plated chest piece, pauldrons adorning the shoulders, and a top hat resting on its head just above a pair of pointed ears. There isn't much time for her to look further, its wounds have put it in a critical state and she must hurry to bring it back to the castle.

A loud pop tears through the silent atmosphere that is the castle's infirmary wing. Surprising many of the nurses and doctors currently looking after recovering guard ponies, staff, or even the random emissary or two. She looks around the room at the wide-eyed gazes of her subjects before coming to rest on a nurse pony nearby, cautiously looking at her wing.

"Where is Dr. Sure Heart. I need her to look after this creature. It's hurt, badly." Celestia asks as the nurse pony takes a timid step forward.

"She's sleeping, Princess... it's late isn't it?" The nurse responds.

"Go get her, this is an emergency."

The nurse pony just gives her a simple nod before trotting away to retrieve Celestia's requested doctor. Sure Heart is more of her personal doctor, but is very knowledgeable about many other species that inhabit these lands. She is hoping that the good doctor would at least know something about their new and unexpected guest. Her eyes fall once more on to the unconscious and shattered form firmly tucked in her wing.

Still breathing.

Excellent.

Celestia is quick to move in one of the private rooms. Gently laying the being down atop the soft sheets and mattress of the infirmary bed. The creature barely took up even half of the space. If she had to judge just how tall this thing is, she'd hazard a guess at its head almost reaching her barrel. Far shorter than any of her little ponies than she is used to. Celestia does what she can to make the small, green creature as cozy as can be before Sure Heart shows up. Taking great care in moving the poor wounded creature now within her walls. Supposing it's now more of a guest than not.

"Is there an emergency, Princess?" The soft voice of a mare grabs her attention.

Celestia turns to meet the pony she fully expected to be in the doorway. "Dr. Sure Heart! Yes, I found this creature in a critical state outside of the Everfree. I would like for you to ensure it makes a full recovery."

The unicorn mare seems stumped at the request made of her. Her eyes flicking from the Princess to the green tinted being now in a hospital bed. "Shouldn't you have called a veterinarian then? That thing looks feral."

"Take a closer look, my dear." Celestia steps off to the side with her clean wing stretched out as if to present her guest to her doctor. "It wears clothes, suggesting a higher form of intelligence than what we normally find out there."

Sure Heart didn't seem to be convinced, but nodded her head just to settle the issue. "Fine. I'll se what I can do."

"That's all I ask."

In the several hours that pass, Celestia managed to clean herself up, raise the sun, and have a delightful breakfast before going back to check on her new guest. The guards have been instructed to keep any staff that isn't her or Sure Heart out of the creature's room. At least until such a time it has been deemed safe. The alicorn had her schedule cleared up for the morning until noon to ensure she has enough time to check in on he doctor and the being. Soon finding herself in front of the door to the creature's room. Her guards standing at attention, almost as if they were waiting for orders or her to say something. Nothing was said as her horn ignites with arcane energy and her glow wraps the handle.

The click of the door catches the doctor's attention and she looks up from her paperwork, peering towards Celestia. "Princess! I didn't think you'd be stopping so early."

"Of course, how is our guest?" Celestia smiles as she strides in, softly closing the door behind her. Her ever gentle gaze falling upon the one in question.

Its clothes had been stripped from the body and folded neatly on the nightstand. Bandages replacing them in kind as they were wrapped around the torso, an arm, and the top of its head. Curious enough is that it not only had a dagger, but another device she didn't quite recognize, but is cradled by the same material used to hold its knife.

"He's stable... but remarkable. Here, look at this." Sure Heart replies, using her magic to give over her clipboard.

"He?" Celestia is curious now, taking the clipboard from the unicorn doctor in to her own magical grasp.

"Well... yes." Sure Heart begins. "He has scars everywhere from whatever did this to him... I found out the hard way about his gender."

Celestia nods, listening while her eyes carefully read over the doctor's notes. What she's reading seems odd to say the least. Accelerated healing? Did his body stabilize itself on the way here? Couldn't have, they teleported. The notes suggest that the scars were nearly closed by the time Sure Heart got the bandages on him. Body Temperature higher than the average pony. To be expected if this thing is from the Everfree. If it is from the Everfree at all. The alicorn hums a little to herself and hands the clipboard back to Sure Heart.

"Have you tested to see if he's magical in any way?" She asks as her eyes fall once more to her guest.

"I.. can't." Sure Heart admits.

"You can't?"

The doctor looks up to the Princess while placing the clipboard on a nearby desk. "I've tried to scan his body for any viruses or contangions, but the spell just backfires as if he's countering me."

A small smile falls upon her lips. "Then I guess we can ask him when he's awake."