• Published 2nd Sep 2022
  • 366 Views, 8 Comments

The Artificer Comes - Tower of 0



Strange magical surges all over Equestria pull forth a visitor from another world. One that could be hiding more than they know.

  • ...
2
 8
 366

IV - His First Storm

The past few days have been much of a blur after the whole reveal that Anneto now knows how to speak Ponish. A secret he hasn't quite revealed yet despite the subtle persuasions Celestia has been using. The Solar Princess set her guest up with a room of his own just down the hall from her own personal quarters for two reasons. The first being so that she can be there when he needs some help and the second to keep her ever-watchful gaze on him.

The castle staff are all excited about knowing about the strange new creature now roaming the halls when he isn't being watched. Most of the time they keep their distance, out of fear it would seem, dictating if they should approach him or not. It suited the small being just fine as he went about his business. As for right now, that entails making some preparations for a little 'tea time' with the Princess, in his room. Something he feels is right considering she just gave him a room to stay in while he was here. It's her idea but his to make a special blend for the two.

He'd imagine that she is going to have quite a few questions for him and in turn a few for her. He would be glad to answer whatever she asked. So he figured something extraordinary would only do, and if it turns out they are stocked they way he has seen, then he should have no problems acquiring what he needs. Anneto walks right through the door of the kitchen while the staff seem busy getting platters of food out. They're all for some dinner party the Princess is having at this time. She did say that she'd catch him when the event is over. He's sure he has time. The small being expertly weaves in between the cooks just to reach the pantry.

The pantry is massive. Given the area it's located in, he figures it was natural. It is here he is going to find his prizes. Giving the open area a good look around he spots some tea of a brand he isn't supposed to be familiar with but he does recognize the kind; Black Tea. Anneto takes to climbing the shelves to reach the box. One of the kitchen staff waltzes right in on the exact moment he grabs the box. It's a unicorn mare that makes eye contact with the goggle-shielded eyes of the small green creature who is at eye-level. Anneto slowly stuffs the box of tea in a coat pocket while the deafening silence starts to overtake the pantry.

"Sooo..." Anneto swings his arms back and forth. "...where's the honey?"

The unicorn points a hoof to the top shelf where the a bottle of honey is.

His eyes follow the hoof and a groan can be heard from him. "Great. Thanks!"

Anneto returns to his room in one piece. Not that he was in danger or anything but he did not really like being in large crowds or being around strange beings he isn't familiar with. He could tolerate Celestia more because she did save his life and made sure he recovered. Probably felt more like he was indebted to her than any other of these ponies of this world, and that doctor. What was her name again? Sure somethin? Somethin Heart? Anneto should really invite her out for some tea sometime.

As the door to his sanctuary closes behind him and his eyes fall upon the mess of tinkering that is his room. Various trinkets and gadgets are strewn about in a haphazard manner. A small groan graces his lips as he has all this junk, assorted knick-knacks, possible weapons on the floor and all this shelf space he has been granted. Steeling his own resolve to at least get his room clean enough for the Princess. He sets the bottle of honey and box of tea on the table in the center of his room. A quick, yet simple spell focused on himself makes him lighter then a feather along with cleaning that much easier.

It takes all of two hours to get everything put away. One hour to get everything off the floor and another to find everything a proper place amongst his shelves. A quick glance at the clock on a nearby wall indicates that he may not have enough time to quickly brew some tea up, but he's going to try anyway. He makes quick work in grabbing his own teapot off a nearby shelf. Why he put it up is beyond him and set on the table that is now moved to the middle of his room. Next he grabs the matching set of cups and saucers to set the table, but something is missing. Anneto starts to scan over the shelves of items again, looking for a specific gadget. Then he spots it: one of his burners he was planning on using for alchemy. He quickly swipes it and sets it down next to the teapot.

Now is the time to start brewing, or attempt to at the least. Anneto is quick to locate his canteen, unscrewing the cap, then dumping whatever's left of the water into the pot. His attention then shifts to the burner as he takes the valve between two of his fingers and open it to let some fuel flow through the opening. A simple fire spell gets the small flame burning bright, leaving the being satisfied. Two bags of tea are plopped right into the water, the the pot set over the flame to boil.

Then a knock comes from his door.

His ears twitch at the sudden noise and his attention draws over to the closed portal to his borrowed space. He quickly pulls his goggles back over his eyes as he wades his way over. His fingers wrap around the handle to open it just a crack to see who it is. Much to his surprise that it's the one pony he's been expecting, if not a little early. Anneto takes a full step back, opening the door wide to let her inside. To be honest with himself, she looks exhausted.

"Celestia! You're quite early... just..uh.. got the pot boiling." Anneto says, rubbing the back of his head.

"I've had my fill of nobles of one night." Celestia tells him with a smile as she walks on in. "So I figured my guest may want some company."

"You will always be welcome, you did save my life in a way." He simply responds, closing the door behind her.

"Don't make it sound like you're obliged to spend time with me. I want you to want it also." Celestia remarks as she takes a seat at the table. "Please do remove those pesky goggles. I wish to look you in the eyes while we chat."

Anneto obliges her request as he makes his way over to the table. He grabs the edges of the goggles to pull them up to rest on his forehead. Celestia watches the small being, his eyes meeting hers to some extent. Even now she could swear they glow in certain lighting or angles. Whether as a result of magic, an unknown power within, maybe some other trick. Yet he diligently hops up on the chair, scooting in closer to check on the pot.

"Still not boiling yet." Anneto remarks with some disappointment in his tone.

Celestia places a hoof over his hand and gently guides him to close it. "Forget about the tea, hm? I'd like to know a little about yourself."

Anneto looks at her and leans back after her hoof is removed. "There isn't much really. Goblin born poor, learned to steal, crafted on the side until some guild member from my home saw what I was doing and took me under his wing. Taught me the joy to create with my hands and tools provided. Then we were betrayed."

Well, that opens up a whole slew on new questions about his past. "What.. exactly is a goblin?"

A smile soon graces his features with a small chuckle. First one he's had tonight. "Well, it's what I am. Typically small, varying in colors, good at sneaking around and taking what isn't ours." His eyes seem to stare off into the distance for a moment. "Also clever if given half the chance."

"And what of your past? How were you betrayed."

Anneto falls silent, his eyes snapping to hers. "Not yet... not tonight anyway."

Silence falls over them for the moment once again as the goblin leans forward to check on the tea. Lifting the ceramic lid up off the pot and peering inside. Not quite ready yet but maybe a few more questions will help pass the time. Celestia watches his careful movements. Feeling as though he almost calculated everything he does. She didn't blame him really, since he was thrown into her world, rather in violent fashion.

"So." Anneto starts as he leans back. "What can you tell me about the night you found me?"

Celestia is almost taken back by the question. She persists with an answer. "Well, a storm was making its way across Equestria. A magic storm, at first I did think it was normal and would pass... until it settled above the Everfree."

"The Everfree is the forest I was in?" She nods in response to him and he rolls his jaw a few times. "Tell me about these magic storms. How often they happen and for how long."

The alicorn stares at the creature before her, more surprised at his sudden inquiry of these storms. "We believe they're collections of untamed or wild magic that can cause immense amounts of damage depending on how strong they are. Most are small and roam with just a light show. Others tend to be a little more dangerous. They come and go with infrequent times and have been for the last thousand years." She stops and looks towards the door for a brief second then back to him. "Then there was yours."

"Mine?"

Celestia nods again and leans in as her voice gets low. "The storm you arrived after was far larger than any I've seen in years. Nothing else happened other than it striking the center of the Everfree and disappearing just as quick."

"Then here I was." Anneto nods as he leans forward to take the pot off the burner. The tea itself wasn't going to be anything spectacular, maybe next time he'll just use the kitchen. "I want you to take me with you when another comes up."

"Excuse me?" Celestia reels her head back some in disbelief.

"I want to go with you when another magic storm happens."

Celestia just blinks while staring him down. "I couldn't possibly put you in harm's way. Magical storms are dangerous all their own."

"I can manage." He tells her while pouring the hot drink into two cups.

"Why the sudden interest?" She asks as a cup is slid over her way.

He seem to mull over an answer. "I have an idea I'd like to try."

"That's... rather vague. Are you sure you want to do that?" Celestia just watches him nod in affirmation. "There's no way for me to convince you otherwise, it may be a while until another comes up. maybe a few months from now, maybe a year."

Anneto finally looks up to her lilac eyes. "I can be rather patient. If it takes that long, gives me enough time to perfect a hair-brained idea."

The odd conviction in his tone seems to have convinced her that he does indeed to plan on being there for another storm, whether she likes it or not. With the matter settled despite how she didn't like the outcome, the two now sit in comfortable silence as they drink tea. It wasn't the best, both milk, honey, and sugar not helping, they both have come to agree on and Celestia promises him to brew some up in the kitchen for next encounter.


The weather outside is getting cold, colder than Anneto would like. He's made some more progress over the coming months in his pursuit of learning about Equestrian culture and mannerisms to help him fit in. Celestia has been a great help in having her goblin guest understanding that ponies enjoy close contact. Something the Anneto is admittedly not very used to. So as of late, the alicorn would greet the small green creature with a hug from a wing accompanied with a nuzzle of her cheek against his. At first he wasn't used to it, making the interaction awkward at first until he got used to to. He began to enjoy how soft her feathers are and the warmth of her cheeks. One may say that that it melted some part of him he forgot.

Yet, tonight is quiet. A kind of silence that allows his work to flow freely from his head. That's when he felt something. A change that swept through his entire body right down to the very core of his being. A feeling of something familiar, yet foreign. His hands stop tinkering with the useless gadget and sets it down on the surface of the desk. His head turns toward the glass panel door to the balcony shooting off from his room. Eyes seeming to scan the gentle snowfall for anything out of the ordinary that would cause such a feeling. Yet he sees nothing. A click from the other side of the room grabs his attention. His gaze shifting towards to the door.

"I take it you felt it too?" Anneto asks, not needing to know that it's Celestia.

She's hesitant to answer at first, then nods. "I didn't realize you were still up."

"Stroke of inspiration I'm afraid." He answers while pushing himself away from the desk.

"I hadn't realized you felt the shift in the arcane tides." Celestia comments. "I thought only my sister or I could feel such strong changes in magic."

"I don't think I was expecting it myself... it felt so..."

"Familiar?" She finishes, to which he nods. "Also foreign in a sense."

"Is this how it feels when a magic storm comes to Equestria?" Anneto looks at her as he asks, putting on his great coat.

Celestia just nods at him, she then watches him turn towards on of his shelves to grab a jar linked to something. her head tilts off to the side while she stares at it.

"What is that?"

"With some luck." He starts, a smile coming to his face as he stuffs the jar in his coat pocket. "I'll catch some lightning."

Before Celestia could make her concern known, Luna appears in the room with a bright light followed by the loudest pop Anneto's ever heard. "Sister, we have-" She stops, looking around the room and noticing this isn't her sister's chambers, but instead that of the guest. "Apologies, but were you in the middle of something?"

"Not at all, Luna." Celestia tells her with a smile as the goblin seems to gravitate towards her. "Just having a bit of a chat. What is it you wanted to say?"

"We have found where the magic storm hath positioned itself; above the Everfree." Luna informs her sister.

Celestia's eyes widen a bit and she shoots a look towards Anneto. Who is wearing the same look at her. Without a moment's hesitation more, she uses a wing to scoop up the small creature and seats him on her back. Both Luna and her are galloping towards the balcony at full speed. First Celestia ascends towards the night sky with wings flared out followed close by her lunar counterpart. Anneto clings to the back of the solar alicorn's neck all the while cold bites at his face. Thankfully he did have enough time to pull his goggles down over his eyes.

To say the storm that had put itself above the forest is massive was quite the understatement. In fact it's far larger than Celestia has ever seen. Thankfully she brought Luna up to speed on the state of these storms for the past one thousand years, so she is aware how dangerous these could be. The real concern is Anneto since he seems more eager to be around such an anomaly. Taking in to some consideration of his sudden appearance around such a sudden turn of events. This particular mess is swirling in a slow counterclockwise fashion while flashes of strange light illuminate the area.

Both alicorns land as close to the edge of the storm as possible. As soon as their hooves come into contact with the ground, Anneto climbs off Celestia's back and begins to dig in his coat for what he brought. Luna looks to her sister for some sort of answer but the Princess is watching the goblin as he marches out in front of her.

"Sister, are these storms like this?" She asks, catching the eldest's attention.

"Not usually, no." Celestia answers as she takes a cautious step forward.

Anneto stops, extending a rod with a quick flick of his wrist. "Could be worse."

"How can this be any worse?" Luna asks in disbelief.

"Ever been in a warp storm before?" He just asks casually while raising the rod to the air. "That's worse."

Celestia takes another step forward. "Anneto, I'm not sure this is safe! You should-"

"Step back please, I'm trying to bait it." He interrupts her.

Celestia is taken back by his chosen word. Baiting it? What does he mean? She does as he asks and steps away, watching him close as he continues to keep the contraption raised high while walking further towards the storm. Lightning seems to start to arc out of the cumulation of clouds. Pulling further and further away like solar flares. Both Princesses watch more with trepidation as he seems all to casual about walking underneath the darkening clouds. Then they watch the unthinkable happen. Exactly five bolts of arcane energy strike at the stick Anneto's holding. Starting off strong and only getting more so until the last one to strike throws him backwards.

"Anneto!" Celestia is quick to move in, catching his body in a golden aura of her own magic.

He's silent, but still breathing. A good sign. She carries his unconscious form over to wrap her foreleg around him. Celestia brings her gaze over to Luna and their objective became clear; clear this storm before it causes damage or something far worse. Both alicorns charge their horns with the same spell and sling it up in the air towards the swirling mass of clouds. As soon a their magic hits, the reaction is immediate. The storm itself seems to muster up a strong enough gust of wind in an attempt to push the Princesses back. It works in the sense that it does cause them to take few steps back.

The storm then shifts around, an opening forming at the center. Another bolt of arcane light surges forth, larger than what they've witnessed thus far, breaks out. Sound around them seem to be vacant until the loudest crack shortly fills that void. The sound itself is almost deafening and probably heard for miles, if not across all of Equestria. Both of their ears fold as ringing affects them as their muzzles contort in pain. It only lasts a full minute before laughing begins to be heard. At first the two look around for a moment, then realizing it's coming from their little green friend. He has freed himself from Celestia's grasp, when she tries to grab him with her magic, it fails almost as soon as it touches him. Anneto's laughing continues to cresendo into maniacal cackling. The sound of which sent shivers up their spines and hairs stand on end.

"A-anneto?" Celestia calls out to him, a foreleg raised as if she's about to make a step.

The cackling stops and he turns right round to face them both. A toothy grin on his face that's only heightened by the fact neither can see his eyes from underneath his goggles. Celestia does take a slow step forward in his direction. The smile he has only grows disturbingly wider before he turns around to high tail it towards the forest. The solar alicorn is ready to gallop on after him since he doesn't have his armor on but is stopped by her own sister.

"Tia, wait." Luna flies in front of her sister, using a hoof to gesture towards the storm. "Look."

She looks to where her sister is pointing, noticing the storm has also got a lot more tame along with a reduction in size alone. Whatever else is happening also draws Anneto to it like a moth to a flame, if said moth was a cackling, green, small goblin with just some street attire on. Celestia looks to Luna and gives her sister a slow nod before galloping passed her toward the direction her friend went. Luna only lands at where she was, looking at her sister go off into the forest.

"Be careful, sister." Luna mutters while she stands in the snow to wait.