• Published 13th Jul 2022
  • 438 Views, 14 Comments

Remembrance - Jamie Wolf



Spike takes a cruise back from a far away land. He faces memories and emotions he didn't think he was ready for, along with old friends and new advice.

  • ...
5
 14
 438

Bars

Spike had been sitting at the bar for almost thirty minutes when Sandbar finally showed up. He had opted to leave his uniform in his cabin, most likely so other passengers would not disturb him during his time off. Spike smiled at his friend, and they clasped hoof to claw.

“Damn man, you must have some stories! Tell me all about it!” The two of them sat as Sandbar slapped Spikes back. He winced at the gesture and crossed his arms over the countertop.

“Nah, not much to tell. Just classic friendship stuff. You know how it is.” He pawned off the conversation in favor of gesturing the bar pony for an order. Sandbar raised his eyebrows in confusion.

“You’ve been in the newest part of the world for four years, and all you have to say is nah?” He mocked Spike’s casual tone. “Tell you what; first round and meal is on me in exchange for a story. Just one. Pleaseeeeeee?” He clapped his hooves together in a begging motion. Spike shot him a doubtful glance.

“Don’t you get free… everything here?”

“Well, sure. But you don’t. I get it for you, you tell me one story. Deal?” Spike rolled his eyes and shrugged.

“Fine. But I’m getting the best hayburger and whiskey this side of the world. And you don’t get a single drop.” He grinned toothily at the pony.

“It’d better be a hell of a story then!”

The two friends sat drinking the night into its youthful hours. Spike told him of the formalities and culture of Norfandia. They had quite a loud and disturbing reaction between them when Spike told him about their thoughts on the sun and moon. Whether it was the alcohol or comfort of familiarity making them so loud, the passengers around did not much care for. Spike finished telling Sandbar of the governing body and culture as he finished his last swig of the Neighshville bourbon.

“So yea, they got democratic representatives for themselves, and they actually have terms to serve. No one ruler or clan or whatever.”

“That must cause some friendship problems for sure then.” Sandbar clarified.

“Brother, you would not believe it.” They both laughed again. “But what’s new with you? Sailing the seas? I thought you would have settled with Yona in Ponyville after she took over the boutique all those years ago.” Spike asked. He winced as he saw Sandbar’s smile fade and he turned back to play with a coaster on the bar top.

“Yona and I… well, we decided to take things ‘slow’ in her words.” Sandbar laughed a little. “Well actually, her words were ‘yak and pony slow things down, or we smash the walls of friendship!’” Sandbar knocked the coaster off the bar and watched it roll across the floor. The cruise liner was such a large ship that the rocking of waves would hardly make a difference to the deck, but the coaster slightly drifted because of the subtle tilting. Spike stretched out a claw and placed it on Sandbar’s back.

“I know how you feel man. I’m sorry. But don’t give up on that if you love her. Don’t let that die out.” He did his best to comfort the dejected pony.

“Well, I never said I loved her…”

“You didn’t have to.”

Spike gestured for the bartender to bring another round. The two friends shot down the smooth honey bourbon. It was starting to get to Spike’s head. Maybe pregaming wasn’t such a good idea he though groggily.

“Hey, it’s been good, but I’m starting to see the rocking of the ship. I might turn in.” Spike said. He hoped the conversation had ended on a relatively good note, but he refused to swap another story in his intoxicated state. Something might slip out that he was not ready to share yet. Sandbar nodded to him.

“No worries. I have early shift anyway. This stuff ought to help me get a good sleep before that.” He nodded to the empty shots overturned on the bar. Sandbar smiled up at Spike as the dragon stood and steadied himself. “Catch ya around, fire breath. We got seven days to hang, so don’t be a stranger.” Spike nodded and started away.

“Will do. If I don’t trip and die on my way back!” He laughed one last time with his old friend.