• Published 3rd Jul 2022
  • 3,307 Views, 62 Comments

The Countryside Knight - Dark Krystal



Twilight is tasked by Princess Celestia to help the Lunar Captain make some friends.

  • ...
6
 62
 3,307

XI - A New Era on the Horizon

A flash of light decorates the hills of the countryside of Equestria, briefly, falling away seconds after its occurrence. Princess Luna and Twilight stand at the origin point of the flash. The two briefly shake their heads before glancing at each other; making sure they're alright. Moving their gaze away from each other, the two look ahead and take a moment to stare at Lunar Base. The duo stood there for a moment in silence, preparing their nerves for the oncoming challenge before them. Slowly, the two mares close the distance between them and the barn | training hall. Princess Luna stops a few feet from the barn doors. Twilight stops next to her and looks up at the princess with a look of concern.

“Princess Luna…?”

“Give me a moment…” Princess Luna says anxiously. She puts her hoof against her chest and closes her eyes, taking a moment to take deep breaths, letting a minute pass before opening her eyes and looking at the door with a sparkle of determination in her eyes.

“I’m… ready to take the step now.”

Twilight smiles and knocks her hoof against the door in the memorized pattern, stepping back afterward and holding her breath as she waits.

‘ Please don’t be Ratimir who opens the door, please don’t be Ratimir who opens the door, please don’t be Ratimir who opens the door, please don’t be Ratimir who opens the door.’

A click from the door makes the unicorn tense up. Then tension releases as the door opens and reveals Faded Light being the one behind it. The lieutenant lets out a sigh of relief upon seeing the two together before quickly standing to attention.

“P-princess, you’ve returned!” Faded Light goes to bow before her. “Allow me to apologize to you first and forem—” Princess Luna raises her hoof up and stops the mare. “No, our little bat. Thou needn't apologize, tis us who must apologize to thee.” Faded Light looks up at the princess with wide eyes. Behind her, Dusk Blade and Moonfall stop tending to the awoken Great Star stare at the interaction in disbelief. Taking a deep breath through her nose, the Lunar Princess walks past the mare and into the hall. Faded Light and Twilight, briefly glancing at each other before following behind the princess. The princess approaches the three guards in the center of the hall.

She looks behind her to make sure Twilight and Faded Light were there before turning sideways to see both sides. In silence, the princess kneels and bows between the two groups. Twilight’s mouth drops as she witnesses the princess’s course of action, while the guard's eyes bulge out.

“Our little bats, my blades, my wings and my faithful protectors. We-I, Princess Luna of Equestria, princess of the night, apologize for our previous actions, for our selfishness, negligence, and absolute foolishness. I have not only prolonged my visitation to you, but I have forced you to deal with my foolish, impulsive actions and ideas. I am supposed to be a princess to be looked up to, protect you, and make you proud to work under…”

Princess Luna closes her eyes tightly and quivers. “I truly… apologize for the inconveniences I have pushed onto you, my bats. I… Will make sure I do not repeat the same mistakes and better myself, for you and for our future. I hope you can forgive your foolish leader.”

Faded Light stares at the Lunar Princess, stunned. The other guards didn’t fare any better; they stared at their princess with a mixture of shock and confusion. For a while the room is silent, only slightly interrupted, with Twilight letting out a small cough and nudging the lieutenant’s barrel with her hoof. Faded Light turns her head and looks at the spot she was nudged, then to the unicorn. Twilight darts her eyes between her and the Lunar Princess.

Faded Light slowly turns her head and looks at the bowed princess, staring for a moment before closing her eyes and taking in a breath through her nose. Mustering her courage, the lieutenant takes a step forward towards the princess and speaks up. “P-princess Luna... It’s... it’s okay. We... would... uh... are you... uh...” Faded Light rubs the back of her neck.

Faded Light lets out a heavy sigh and gives the princess her usual Stoic expression. “I’m not good with... feely words... so I’ll just… say it the best I can. We are your guards, Princess Luna. You saved our ancestors, and gave our kind a chance to live, so regardless of whatever you do, we will always stick by your side. So, we uh... forgive you.” Faded Light looks over at the rest, the trio looking at each other briefly before nodding together at Faded Light.

Princess Luna shakes more and lets out a bitter chuckle. “I suspected this outcome... but...”, slowly she raises back to full height and gives a small smile to the guard. “I will still better myself … for our future and for myself.” The princess looks over to the rest of the guard. “This is the first step towards my improvement... so, from now on, my bats... I hope we can get along better.”

Dusk Blade smiles and nods. ” Okay, princess!”

Moonfall looks at Dusk Blade, then at the others before going with his best response, a stiff salute and poker face to rival Fallen Shine’s. “Understood, ma’am.”

Great Star shoots the bloodied tissues out of his nose and slowly gets back up and ups a hoof over his chest. “I will stick with you, my Princess!”

Princess Luna shakes her head and smiles. “I truly do not deserve you, my guardians.”

The Twilight smiles, along with the rest of the guards as the princess lets out a small chuckle and looks back, lieutenant. “Now then... there is one more being that deserves an apology.” Immediately, everyponies smile fades and the nervousness returns.

“Where is the captain?” Princess Luna asks. Faded Light opens her mouth only to shut it as a familiar voice rang throughout the hall.

“Right here.” Everypony turns over to the entrance to the home and finds the captain leaning against the doorway with crossed arms, his face Stoic as normal. With a grunt he moves from the doorway and slowly walks down to the princess. The guard trio quickly got out of his way and move themselves to the side lines. The captain stops when he is only a few feet from the princess, and silently stares at her with crossed arms.

The two stare at each other in silence for a while. Princess Luna eventually broke it with a closed-eye sigh; in silence, she started to bow her head towards the captain…

“Stop.” Ratimir quickly shuts it down. Princess Luna pauses and looks at the man with confusion. Ratimir scratches the back of his for a moment, then walks past her, her eyes along with everypony else following after him.

“Let’s talk outside.” He says bluntly, and walks past the princess. Princess Luna raises her head, and silently acknowledges his decision and follows after him. The two exiting the room with Twilight following behind them, the lieutenant and Dusk Blade whisper to each other before the small quickly rushes forward and grapples the unicorn’s barrel and drags her back inside.

“Wha-Hey, let go of me!” Twilight tries to pull away and break the mare's grasp on her.

‘ What the!? What is up with her hold!? I can’t… eugh! Get out of it! Is she actually packing a lot for her size!? ‘

“Private conversation, Twilight~!” Dusk Blade cheerfully lets out.

“W-what! But what if it goes wrong!? I need to be there in case he says something stupid again!” Twilight tries to physically break out of the small mare's hold again, only to be reeled back to Dusk Blade.

“Don’t worry, Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight stops her struggling and looks at Faded Light. “If he wants a private a conversation, it's usually because he doesn’t want us to... see... something”

Twilight raises a brow at that statement as Dusk Blade releases her.

‘ What could he possibly want us to not see...?’

“Just give them a minute alone and then we eavesdrop. If the captain’s silence is anything to go by... then they’ll have a bit of awkwardness.” Dusk Blade cheerfully says. Twilight frowns at that, but lets out a sigh. “I’ll take your word for it.”

Faded Light watches the clock on the wall for a bit, letting two minutes pass by before turning her head to the rest of the group. “Okay, let’s do it.” Without hesitation, everypony quickly rushes to the barn doors, opening them slightly and peeking through the small gap between the doors. Everypony witnessed the captain and Princess Luna standing only a few feet from the barn, by each other's side and backs turned towards them.

The two are looking away from each other, looking at the night sky instead. For a bit longer, the two stay silent before Princess Luna lets out a sigh and turns to face the man. She opens her mouth while preparing to bow, only for the man to shut her down again. “Bow to me and you’ll never earn my forgiveness.” He says it so bluntly and roughly that the princess flinches.

“But I must show my sincer—”

“No, you don’t. Just apologize and get it over with... if I’m going to witness the person whom I’m supposed to be under the banner of, bow to me, then I might as well take your head and your title.” He scoffs.

“A leader shouldn’t have to bow to their people or soldiers for that manner. Doing so is a sign of weakness, ripe for a takeover.”

Princess Luna takes a step closer to him and raises a brow. “I see... then would you take my position then?”

“Hell no.” He says without hesitation.

“Then there shouldn’t be an issue with my actions, correct?” Princess Luna gives a slight smile at that. Ratimir turns his head and scowls.

“But—”

“Do you think my guards will take my position?” She continues.

“Hell no, but—”

“Then there is no issue.” Princess Luna bows to the man, making him scowl and grumble under his breath.

“My captain, I, Princess Luna, apologize to you for my actions. For insulting you, my impulsiveness, and leaving you to fix the mistakes that I have left behind. You have done a great service to those under my banner. I am grateful for your service, and hope to work with you in the future.” Princess Luna slowly raises her head and gives him a look of melancholic sincerity.

Ratimir scowls more and glares at her from the corner of his eye. “You know actions speak—”

“Louder than words? Yes, I am a firm believer in that statement as well.” Ratimir scoffs once again and turns his head away. The princess let a small chuckle slip out before quickly silencing herself and patiently waiting for his response. Silence lingers between the two for a while, eventually broken when Ratimir lets out a heavy sigh and looks down.

“I... accept it.... and... I... I...” Princess Luna looks at him quizzically as the man shuts his eyes tightly and struggles for a moment before glancing at her “I... Also, must... a-a-apologize... for my.... a-actions...”

Twilight's jaw drops, and she quickly turns her head and looks at Faded Light. “H-he... h-he... heeeeeeee!” Faded Light chuckles and nods in acknowledgement of what they heard. Dusk Blade, smiling wider while the two stallions stare at the scene in silent surprise.

“You’re my leader... the bats respect and adore you... it was... out of line for me to talk down to you like... that.” The man shuffles a bit and turns his back to her and pinches the bridge of his nose.

“It was a... Heat of the moment thing and I... ugh... shouldn’t have just... let all of my frustrations out on you. So... for stepping out of line I’m... sorry, princess. That and... I guess... Twilight Sparkle may have a point about... being rude to you before that, even... so... you know, for throwing your ideas in the swamp lake. Should’ve been... nicer... guess.”

Princess Luna stood there in silence for a moment before letting out a chuckle and prodding his back with her hoof. “Haha! Your apology is terrible!”

“Eugh...” He growls.

“But...” Princess Luna steps around him and peeks at the man's flustered face while carrying a smile on hers. “I do appreciate it.”

“Whatever, I did it because I felt like I stepped out of line... especially towards the sister I preferred, I think?” The guards and Twilight perked up at that, the group leaning more towards the door now.

“Oh?” Princess Luna perks up at that and stands by his side, looking up at him with interest. “Do explain.”

“Well... from what the guards and your sister tell me, you control the night correctly?”

“I just simply transition into the night with the moon. I cannot control the night all together, but to put it in simple terms, then you’re correct.” The princess nods.

“Then I prefer you more than your sister.” He states bluntly.

“Oh? Do you appreciate the night?” Princess Luna smiles bigger.

“Sure...? The night is good for attacking, ambushing, mugging, kidnapping, hunting, an ”” He pauses when he sees the deadpan expression the princess was giving him.

“And er...” He runs his hand through his hair and looks up at the moon. “... I’ve always liked the night in general... since I was a little whelp... the little dots in the sky and the moon always helped me sleep...”

Princess Luna smiles again. “Thank you, captain.”

“Mn.” He grunts.

Princess Luna chuckles at his response. “Despite your attitude, it seems you have a soft side to you.”

“Mnnn....” He growls, only egging the Lunar Princess further. “Not only that but I have seen previous reports regarding missions, you have to be very protective over my little bats. Telling them to retreat when a situation seems dire, regardless if the mission is of great importance, compared to my era, you have increased the life expectancy of my guard. Thank you for caring about them, captain.”

“I don-... ugh... whatever.” He clicks his tongue, making the princess giggle. “I look forward to working with you, captain.”

“Same to you... I guess.” He mumbles.

“Let us celebrate this new beginning!” The princess ignites her horn.

“With this!” In a small flash of light, a leather bag appears in her magical grasp. The captain stares at the bag with a puzzled look.

“Tis sweet confectionery treats I bought on the night of my public return. A blueberry hardened candy inspired by... well, my counterpart. I had planned on sharing it with my guard but... well you technically are part of my guard so...” Her magic unwraps the bag and pulls out a small wrapped treat from it, unwrapping it easily and then pushing it into his mouth. “Enjoy!”

Ratimir glares at her for a moment and doesn't speak, taking a moment to just stand and break down the treat he was given. Princess Luna popped another treat into her mouth during this. For a moment the two stand there in silence, chewing their treats together and staring off into the countryside landscape. He is the first to break the treat down and swallow, letting a soft hum exit his mouth before speaking.

“You’re correct... it is sweet, alright...” Princess Luna looks over and smiles at him.

“But it has a strong bitter aftertaste… since it came from you...” Her smile instantly fades and she stares at him with a deadpan expression, the captain snickering at her expression.

She lets out a sigh and jabs his side with a hoof. “Perhaps... You should change with me, if we art to make a new era for our banner... starting with that dreadful personality of yours.”

The captain’s snicker ceases, and he glares at her, the princess smirking up at him before snickering to herself. “Whatever...”

He rolls his eyes and looks off to the side as the Princess continues to snicker. Behind them Twilight and the guards look at each other and smile. “Let’s leave them alone now.” Twilight says as she pulls away, the others nodding and pulling away from the door.


—Two Days Later—

”Here we are.” Fallen Shine says as he flies down towards the Lunar Base, with a lavender Unicorn in his hooves.

“A-aren’t we going a bit too fast!?” Twilight asks anxiously. Wind rushing past her face from the speed they were going, she looks up to the stallion then back to the oncoming grassy field. Her teeth clench tightly as she watches the ground rapidly coming towards them.

“No.” The stallion bluntly states.

“W-w-what makes you so sure, Fallen Shine!?” Twilight looks up to the stallion. The stallion In question, just staring at head with his neutral expression.

“F-fallen! Fallen, hey, hey!” Twilight tries to get his attention as the two speedily approach the ground. The unicorn gives up, bracing herself for impact, projecting a magic spherical barrier around the duo. Shutting her eyes tight, she waits for the oncoming impact with the ground, only for that impact to never come. Instead, she finds wind brushes past her face and her hooves land on the ground.

Snapping her eyes open, she finds the stallion placing her down on the ground and hovering back in the air. She looks around for a moment before focusing onto Fallen Shine.

“W-wha... W-what happened! We were going so fast and...”

“I stopped.” The stallion states bluntly as he lands onto the ground.

“What! B-but... From what I've seen of pegasi and... Rainbow Dash, they can’t stop themselves at that speed without damaging their wings....” Twilight stares at the stallion in bewilderment. Fallen Shine says nothing, only throwing his wings up in response.

“Oh right... you’re not a pegasus... so your flight must go by different rules then...” Twilight mumbles towards the end, taking out her notepad and writing down this discovery. The stallion tucks his wings back to his side and heads to the door, the unicorn following behind.

“Anything happening today, Fallen Shine?” Twilight looks up from her notes as they stop at the front door.

“Our Princess was going to come by with an announcement, and we’re having special training tonight.” The stallion knocks on the door.

“Announcement...? Special training?” Twilight tilts her head.

“Mhmm.” The stallion takes a step back as the doors open from the inside.

“Hey, Twilight Sparkle!” Moonfall smiles at the unicorn as he opens the door wider for the duo. Fallen Shine walks past the white-coated stallion, while Twilight smiles and approaches him.

“Moonfall! I heard there was going to be some speci—”

“Captain, I... I love you! Please go out with me!” Dusk Blades voice rings out. Twilight snaps her neck over to the source point, seeing Dusk Blade standing in front of Ratimir in the middle of the room. A determined look on her face with some blush on her cheeks.

“Didn’t expect that...” Moonfall mumbles as he looks over at the scene. “Well, I guess that’s a good intro—Twilight Sparkle?”

Moonfall Looks down at the ground, staring at the now passed out unicorn. “Oh...”

Fallen Shine lets out a sigh and turns around to take care of the unicorn.

Author's Note:

Wow, golly been a while since I was able to make a short chapter. A conclusion to this arc and hints to the the next Arc, probably be a long one and break the standard numbers, maybe. Fun to mix up and use Luna's royal "we" and normal expression for her personality.

I'll also use this moment to address "Thestrals" term, there is a reason for that will be explored in the next arc. In fact the reputation of the batponies will be explored in the next arc, as well as other things... anyway thank you for your comments I do enjoy reading them.