• Published 21st Jun 2022
  • 926 Views, 73 Comments

Lawmare - Jade Ring



In another Equestria, order is kept by a band of skilled spellslingers representing the Princess. The ponies call them Lawmares, and they are about to face something none of them are prepared for.

  • ...
3
 73
 926

Chapter 4

Shining Armor sat silent and still once Twilight finished telling him about her discovery. He sat at his desk, staring at the various papers spread across the surface. Twilight and her ka-tet stood on the desk's opposite side, waiting for his response. Flash Sentry and Rainbow Dash stood on opposite sides of the Captain's office door, their faces perfect stone, betraying no reaction to the information they'd just been made privy to.

Finally, Twilight could stand the silence no longer. "Well?"

"Well, what?" Shining Armor didn't move, didn't look away from his papers.

"What are you planning?"

"Planning?" Shining Armor shook his head. "Twilight, you've just told me that the brotherhood that I'm in command of, that I've dedicated my life to, has apparently been compromised by agents of an enemy force. I need a minute to process that." He waved a hoof in her direction. "But if you have suggestions, I'm all ears."

"What about a formal dress inspection?" Lyra piped up.

"Now, there's an idea." Shining Armor shook his head. "Flash?"

"Sir! Each recruit into the Royal Guard is issued three full dress uniforms upon completion of basic training, sir."

"Very good." Shining Armor smiled without humor. "What else have you got?"

Moon Dancer raised a hoof. "A thorough inspection of the dormitories and barracks might be a good place to start."

"Another stellar suggestion. Dash?"

"Sir!" The pegasus stood at attention.

"If you were conspiring to overthrow the princess and you tore part of the uniform that you'd stupidly worn to the big conspiracy party, what would you do with it?"

"Sir! Dispose of it immediately, sir!"

"Immediately." Shining Armor nodded sagely. He finally raised his eyes to meet his sister's. If he was affected by the rage burning there, he gave no sign. "Any other suggestions, Twily?"

Twilight reared back and slammed her hooves on the desk. "How can you be so flippant about this?! Bad enough they're in our city, but now they're in the palace! We have to do something and we have to do it now!"

"And if you or your tet had a suggestion that wasn't absolutely stupid, we would be doing it right now!" Shining Armor mirrored his sister's pose, looking down on her. "Have you considered the possibility that the scrap was left there to plant false doubt in your mind? Which it clearly has, by the way." He cut his eyes at the two pegasi by the door. Following the unspoken command, they swiftly turned and left the room, closing the door behind them. "Now, if you'd like to look at this calmly..."

"You… you just don't want to believe that your precious Royal Guard could have been infiltrated!" Twilight's horn sparked dangerously.

"You mean like your Lawmares were!?" Shining Armor roared back.

The silence that followed was thick with shock and tension. Twilight's mouth worked up and down, but the words were slow in coming. "H-how did you...?"

"I'm Captain of the Royal Guard! Did you think Celestia wouldn't tell me?!" Shining Armor leaned forward, hating the way his sister shrank. He'd never yelled at her like this. Not once in life. But he needed to say this, and she needed to hear it. "You think that piece of tin on your chest means a damn thing in this city? It doesn't! Out there, on the roads? In the wilds? That's where you're the authority! That's what the Lawmares are for! But in these walls?" He put a hoof to his chest. "It's me. Me and my guards. That's how it's had to be since the Lawmares starting shrinking in number. I don't like it, you don’t like it, but it's the truth." He waited for any of the Lawmares to rebut him. When they didn't, he lowered himself back behind his desk and sighed. "The city is already on edge. If the very idea gets out that the guard might be compromised, it'll be chaos."

Twilight finally found her voice. "So what do you suggest we do... Captain?"

"I'll have Flash start snooping through the dorms." He gave Moon Dancer a slight nod, which was not returned. "It's a long-shot, but if the stallion or mare in question is dumb enough to leave a scrap of their uniform behind, then maybe they're dumb enough to keep said uniform close at hoof."

Twilight eyed her brother evenly. "Do you trust Flash?"

"As much as trust your tet."

Twilight nodded slightly, the only expression of satisfaction she deemed worthy in this situation. "Keep me posted."

"Of course." He tried to smile. "I know you'll do the same." The Lawmares turned to leave, and Shining Armor tried to extend the olive branch as best he could. "Twilight?"

He so rarely used her full name, that she stopped and looked back in spite of herself. "Yes?"

"We'll get through this. We just have to stick together."

She chewed on his words, nodded slightly again, and left.

Alone in his office, Shining Armor slumped onto his desk and sighed. "We'll get through this." He muttered. "We have to."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"The nerve of that stallion!" Twilight ranted as she paced back and forth. "Who does he think he is, talking to me like that? Like I'm some silly little foal!"

"Well, he is your older brother." Rarity offered from the picnic blanket. "And he is the Captain of the Guard." She gave a little shrug. "I'm surprised you were expecting more from him."

Twilight sighed and sat heavily, barely missing the bowl of fresh fruits Rarity had set out for their lunch. They were in the park again, trying to recapture that feeling of bliss and peace that had been shattered by an explosion just a short time ago. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were once again on the playground, surrounded by other fillies and colts. Twilight watched their carefree play and found herself wishing desperately she could be that young and carefree again, just for a short while. Instead, here she was; worrying herself sick that her enemies were two steps ahead. "I just... I feel like I'm losing control, Rarity. Like I'm chasing a lit fuse and, as much as I try, I can't seem to catch it."

Rarity reached across the blanket and touched her hoof to Twilight's. "Your brother was right about one thing, darling."

"What's that?"

"That we'll make it through this if we stick together." The white unicorn sat up and sidled over to lean on her Lawmare.

Twilight relaxed and let her head rest on her lover's. She kissed the top of her head and breathed in her mane. "I know."

"Perhaps you should find something to take your mind off things. A distraction might be what you need to revitalize that brilliant brain of yours."

"Well... I suppose I could give the apprentices some extra training." A thought occurred to the Lawmare, and she looked over at the playground. "Come to think of it, I haven't trained with Sweetie Belle in a while..." She felt her lover stiffen against her, and she looked down into her purple locks. "What?"

"It's... it's nothing." Rarity offered, knowing full well how useless it was to lie to a Lawmare.

"Rarity, we've talked about this." Twilight put a foreleg around her lover and held her close. "Sweetie Belle's almost ready. I intend for her to be fully ready for the trials when the next try-out day rolls around."

"But I thought a filly could only try out with the full support of her loved ones?" Rarity chuckled uneasily. "Or is that the real reason for your proposal the other night, hmm? You marry into the family, and..."

Twilight flushed and started to pull away. "It's... it's not like that..."

Rarity felt her lover starting to move, and she embraced her to keep her close. "I'm sorry. That was cruel of me." She sighed, rubbing her muzzle in Twilight's coat. "I know Sweetie Belle is destined for great things, but..."

"But what?"

"But these are difficult times, Twilight. Unsure times. Dangerous times. Sweetie Belle's the only family I have left. And she's still just a filly. I mean look at her." She pulled away and looked towards the playground. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were talking animatedly to a new arrival; a pretty little earth pony with her mane tied up in a red bow. "Look how happy she is. How unconcerned. Am I wrong for wanting that to last just a little bit longer?"

Twilight shook her head. "You're not. But Sweetie Belle wants to be a Lawmare. Wants it more than anything. Would you deny her that?"

"Of course not. I just... I used to hope it was some passing fancy." Rarity laughed lowly. "But if it's a phase, she certainly hasn't grown out of it yet."

Twilight relaxed again. "It's not like being an apprentice is some awful ordeal. It's hard, yes, but she'll make friends that will last a lifetime. She'll have access to magics the likes of which most only dream about. And you..." She kissed the top of Rarity's head again. "You, my love, can have the pride that comes with telling everypony that your sister is part of the proudest legacy in the history of Equestria." She smiled. "Now wouldn't that make Upper Crust so jealous?"

"Well, when you put it like that..."

The two mares giggled together as the two fillies in their charge returned to the blanket, their new friend in tow. In complete contrast to the way her two comrades practically bounced in the sunshine, the earth pony had a quiet, cautious look about her. Her shoulders were slumped, and her tail dragged the ground. She tried to smile when the trio reached the two mares, but it looked false and painfully forced.

"Apple Bloom, this is my sister Rarity and her marefriend Twilight Sparkle." Sweetie Belle introduced them, still panting slightly from her intense play. "This is Apple Bloom. She just got into town."

"Is that so?" Twilight gave a nod and a smile. "Long days and pleasant nights, Apple Bloom. Welcome to Canterlot."

Rarity gave her most generous smile. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, darling."

Apple Bloom didn't pay the white unicorn any mind. Her attention was locked on Twilight. "M-ma'am, are you a L-lawmare?" She stammered, her voice carrying a distinct drawl that marked her immediately as being from somewhere in Western Equestria.

Twilight's friendly smile wilted slightly, the filly's demeanor speaking to her instincts. "...I am."

Apple Bloom looked around as though checking for something, then leaned in close. "I... I need you to follow me, please. It's important." Her eyes cut to Rarity briefly. "Just you."

Twilight stood without question. There was a brilliant flash of purple light, a pop in the air, and the mare was gone. An instant later, the effect happened again, and Twilight Sparkle was among them once again. The only difference now being, of course, that she was now clad in her leathers, hat, and badge. "Rarity, take these two home. I'll be along shortly. And tell the maid I’m sorry I keep scaring her."

Rarity stared at her, that feeling of worry from the day of the palace attack returning in force. "Darling, are you sure about this?"

"I'll be fine." She leaned over, pecked her lover's lips, and then nodded at the filly. "Lead the way."

Scootaloo looked at the filly in confusion. "What's going on...?"

"Girls, help me pack this up." Rarity cut her off. "I'm sure we'll see your little friend later."

Apple Bloom started away at a brisk trot, Twilight following at a careful distance. She ignored the looks and whispers from the ponies around her. It would be around the city by nightfall; there was at least one Lawmare still in Canterlot. But she couldn't worry about that now. Apple Bloom had known who she was at a glance. Somepony had given her name and description to the filly. Now the question of why needed to be answered.

The pair quickly left the busy park behind and headed down the bustling streets of Canterlot. The Lawmare kept her eagle eye on the filly's bright yellow coat so as not to lose her in the crowds. They continued on a good while, going past the city's business district and on towards one of the older areas. The crowds began to dwindle as the buildings began to look less grand. Age and neglect had robbed the golden roofs here of their shine. The plaster and marble that made up the walls showed obvious cracks and had places where whole chips had fallen away. The filly turned down another road, and a peek around the corner showed Twilight that it that led down a totally deserted avenue.

The Lawmare had seen enough. "Hold, cully."

Apple Bloom froze and looked back, her eyebrow raised in confusion. "What's a cully?"

Twilight glared, her horn lighting with magic. "You know what a Lawmare is. You should know, then, that we aren't so easily led into a trap."

If Apple Bloom knew any fear of a Lawmare getting ready to attack, her innocent face didn't show it. "She said you'd be suspicious. That's why she told me to tell you somethin.'" She put a hoof to her chin in thought. "I think it was something like... 'You're too cautious, Twilight. Sometimes you just have to...'"

("...sometimes you just have to let fly and hope for the best.")

Twilight's breath caught when she heard the words. Those words were burned into her memory as clearly as her mother's face or the first time she'd seen Princess Celestia smile. Those words had been her teacher's first lesson.

She rushed forward at once, no longer concerned in the least that she might be heading into a trap. Some things were just worth the risk. "Take me to her. Quickly, for your mother's sake!"

Apple Bloom nodded and started running. "We're almost there! C'mon!" The sound of racing hooves echoed along the long forgotten walls as the two ponies rushed down the road. The filly skidded to a stop in front of one derelict house so suddenly that only Twilight's skills kept her from colliding with her tiny body. "This is it." She stepped up to the door and knocked five times in rapid succession, paused, and then knocked twice more.

The door swung open to reveal an earth pony mare of orange, a hat not unlike Twilight's perched on a blonde mane. She exhaled at the sight of Apple Bloom. "Oh, little bit; you had me worried sick."

"I found her." Apple Bloom gestured back towards Twilight, but the Lawmare was already pushing past her.

"I reckon you must be Twilight Sparkle." The mare shared the filly's accent. She tipped her hat. "Name's Applejack."

Twilight was in no mood for pleasantries. "Where is she?"

"This way." The mare ushered both ponies inside before closing and bolting the door. She led them down the hall of the decrepit, abandoned house towards a room that shined with candlelight. The smell of mildew and rotting wood surrounded them. Reaching the portal, Applejack stepped to the side to allow Twilight to see the mare inside.

Twilight gasped in shock and horror. Her worst fears had been realized; it was Sunset Shimmer. And she looked like she'd been through hell.

The golden unicorn lay on a cot in the room's center. The rise and fall of her chest was the only sign that she was still alive. Her fur had been burned away in several patches. Her front right hoof was gone completely, the stump bound in heavy bandages. Half of her head was wrapped in gauze, only one eye left visible.

Applejack stepped in beside Twilight and sighed. "I patched her up as best I could, but I couldn't save her eye or her ho... GAK!"

Twilight had spun and pinned the other mare against the wall in one smooth motion, and her hoof was pressed against her throat. A little more pressure, and her trachea would be crushed. Her eyes blazed with fury, her horn spat literal flaming embers of magic. "What did you do to her?!" She hissed through gritted teeth. "What did you animals do to...?!"

"Twilight. Stop."

The command from her teacher, even when delivered weakly, made Twilight relax at once. Applejack gasped for air and touched her hoof to her neck once she was free. She stared at the Lawmare in shock. Twilight paid her no mind, but crossed to Sunset's side, sat, and held her good hoof. "Sunset...?"

"Twilight. Apple... Applejack saved me. She... helped me get back to the city." Sunset's voice was ravaged. She coughed and took a great wheezing gasp.

Twilight assessed her fellow Lawmare's injuries. Going by her breathing, she definitely had bruised ribs. Possibly worse. There was no telling the extent of her internal injuries. She winced at the sight of her missing hoof, dreaded the moment the bandages would be removed revealing her ruined eye. "Sunset... what happened?"

"...a trap." Sunset took another deep, rasping breath. "Ponyville. It was a trap. The whole town... follows the Good Mare. Not just a few. They... they were waiting for us."

Twilight looked back at Applejack, currently being checked over by Apple Bloom. "The whole town...?"

"Our farm is far enough away from the town proper that we managed to avoid most of the turnover." Applejack rubbed her sore throat. "They left us well enough alone for the most part. Guess they figured we'd come around eventually. But when I heard that they were wantin' to start sendin' more of our apples to the North, I knew their patience had run out. Me and my sis here had been plannin' on leavin' long before the Lawmares showed up."

Twilight whipped her attention back to Sunset. "The others! Sunset, where are...?"

"Don't you understand, Twilight? Don't you see?" Sunset gasped, a tear flowing from her one remaining eye. "They're all gone. Starlight, Minuette, Lemon Hearts... everypony." She forced her eye open, and Twilight could tell from the filmy glaze over her pupil that it didn't matter that her teacher and mentor had only lost the one. The one that remained was now completely blind. "Dead... they're all dead, Twilight. It's just us now. It's... just... us..." She broke down, her whole body shaking on the cot on which she lay.

Twilight was too stunned to join her. She felt cold. Detached. Untethered. Unreal.

Nineteen. There had been nineteen badged Lawmares just a week ago.

Nineteen...

...and now there were four.

"Celestia save us." She whispered. But deep in her heart, the first tiny sliver of doubt appeared and began to whisper. Perhaps it was too late.

Perhaps not even Princess Celestia could save them now.