• Published 21st Jun 2022
  • 905 Views, 69 Comments

Lawmare - Jade Ring



In another Equestria, order is kept by a band of skilled spellslingers representing the Princess. The ponies call them Lawmares, and they are about to face something none of them are prepared for.

  • ...
3
 69
 905

Chapter 1

It was high noon in Canterlot when the calls came down from the city's great front gates. "LAWMARES!" The watchers on the walls cried. "LAWMARES COMIN' IN!" In the days of old, such an announcement would have sent the whole of the city into a frenzy. Lawmares were the sword in the darkness, the will of the Princess sent into the wild and untamed regions of the world. Their return could mean anything, good news or ill. Great feasts would be prepared, and high level ranking officials would be dressing in their best to welcome the heroes of Equestria and hear whatever news they brought.

These days, however, there was barely a small fervor. Most in Canterlot may have raised their head to hear the news more clearly, but then went back to whatever task was already at hoof. The glory days of the Lawmare were long passed. The world had moved on, and those once considered the best of them had been left behind with it.

The great gate swung forward just enough to allow the ponies entrance, then swung shut with a hollow bang. Twilight Sparkle didn't relax until she heard that bang. The great noise meant safety. It meant security.

It meant she was home.

The snoozing filly on her back stirred at the noise. "Are we there yet?" She murmured, her voice thick with sleep.

"Indeed." Moon Dancer smiled gently at their small guest and gestured at the tall buildings of white stone with their gilded roofs of purple and gold. "Welcome to Canterlot; the greatest city in the world."

The filly looked around in wide-eyed wonder, suddenly very awake. "I think I'm still dreaming."

"Nope. It always looks like this. You get used to it." Lyra was practically vibrating with excitement, her eyes darting every which way. There were still a few of those in Canterlot who recognized and respected what the Lawmares did, and a small crowd of them was rapidly approaching the returning heroes. "Where...?"

A cream coated blur burst from the crowd and took Lyra to the ground, cutting off the unicorn's question with wanting lips and happy tears.

Lyra relished the kiss until the earth pony mare who had tackled her pulled away to breathe. "Hi, honey." She giggled breathlessly.

"Don't you 'hi, honey' me!" Bon Bon helped her wife to her hooves and glared at her. "Do you have any idea how long you've been gone?"

"Five months, two weeks, three days." Lyra rattled off easily.

Bon Bon the inside of her cheek to stop herself from smiling. "Well... then you should know that's too long." She turned to Twilight and Moon Dancer. "Thankee-sai, for bringing her back. I know she can be a bit of a nuisance on the road." She added a respectful bow, as was tradition.

"Lyra acquitted herself well in the wilds." Moon Dancer nodded at her fellow Lawmare, who returned the gesture. "You should be proud."

"Believe me, I am." She cut her eyes at her wife, a new emotion replacing her initial irritation. "And I'm going to show her just how proud I am as soon as I get her home."

Lyra knew that look, knew the tone in her wife's voice, and both made her shiver pleasantly. She looked pleadingly at Twilight. "Can I...?"

"Go on." Twilight waved her off. "Take a couple days before you report back to the barracks." She noted the twitching in both mare's tails. "Better make it three days, just to be safe."

"Thankee-sai." Lyra brought her hoof to her throat and tapped it there three times in the ultimate gesture of respect from one Lawmare to another. Her horn lit, hefting the giggling earth pony onto her back before she bolted down the road.

Moon Dancer chuckled before looking the opposite way the two mares had gone. "Twilight, I..."

"Go. Go check on your mother." Twilight nodded at the filly on her back. "I'll see to this one, then go make our report to the Princess."

"Thankee-sai." Moon Dancer repeated Lyra's gesture of respect and turned to leave. She paused, then looked back. "I'll face the roads with you anytime... my dinh." That said, she made her way down the road, saying hello to the ponies who greeted her along the way.

Twilight stood stunned a moment. Moon Dancer had just called her dinh. Traditionally Lawmares had no command structure. They were all equal to one another. Those with less time in service knew well enough to follow orders when given by a more seasoned Lawmare.

But to be called dinh?

It was more than a a simple designation of leader. A dinh was seen by her tet, her closest friends and allies, as more than just another Lawmare. A dinh was a parent, a confidante, somepony obeyed without a single thought.

A tet would give their lives for their dinh without a moment’s hesitation.

"Twilight?"

The violet unicorn looked down to find the beaming face of a unicorn filly, this one the color of fresh milk. She smiled down at the new arrival. "Hile, Sweetie Belle. Long days and pleasant nights."

"And may you have twice the number!" The filly squeaked the response, feeling very grown up as she did so. "Who's that?" She pointed a hoof at the pegasus on the Lawmare's back.

Intrigued by the arrival of somepony her own size, the orange filly flew to the ground at once. "Hi. I'm Scootaloo."

Twilight sensed the questions coming from Sweetie Belle, and knew this was not the time nor the place for them. She placed her hoof over Sweetie's lips to silence her and raised her brow in silent communication. "Scootaloo's had a hard journey, Sweetie Belle. She needs food and rest."

Sweetie Belle brushed the hoof away and wrinkled her muzzle. "She could use a bath, too."

"Hey!"

"Don't be rude, Sweetie Belle." Twilight chastised her young friend.

"Say sorry." Sweetie Belle blushed and looked away. "I'll take her home. We'll take care of her."

Scootaloo looked up at Twilight, unsure. The Lawmare gave her best reassuring smile and booped her muzzle. "You'll be fine. Sweetie Belle's a good friend."

"Yup!" The filly did a little bounce then grabbed the pegasi's hoof, pulling her down the road. She paused to look back. "Will you be coming by later?" She raised an eyebrow. "Somepony misses you..."

Twilight Sparkle considered herself a mare in control of her emotions. A Lawmare had to be. But at the mention of the mare Sweetie Belle was talking about, her throat suddenly felt very dry. Butterflies took flight in her belly. Every hair of her coat stood on end. "Ahem." She cleared her throat. "Yes. Tell her I'll come calling this evening."

Sweetie Belle smiled knowingly before pulling the pegasus down the road, the orange filly still staring awestruck at the architecture all around her.

Twilight watched them until they turned a corner, then started down the main thoroughfare towards the palace. Every so often a pony would tip their hat to her, offer thanks for her services to the crown, or try to hand her a small gift. She responded politely, cordially, as she'd been trained to do since she was a filly. A tip of the hat here, a murmured word of respect there. The gifts she politely, but firmly, refused. A Lawmare did what she did because it was her purpose to do so, not for material gain. Service was its own reward, one much more valuable than adulation or trinkets.

Still, she couldn't help but notice that each time she returned from a patrol, the number of well-wishers and gift givers was smaller and smaller. What's more, she thought she saw suspicious glances and (once or twice) the air-written sigul of the force rising in the North. These worried her greatly, but one would never have guessed by the practiced neutral expression on her face. There was only one mare she would share this worry with. And she was on her way to see that mare now.

Just outside the palace gates, she spied a small crowd. There were twenty or so by her count, and they were a good mix of representatives of the three tribes. They were gathered around what looked like some kind of raised platform. Atop the platform was a mare, and she appeared to be preaching to the crowd. Her body was concealed by a hooded robe of deep, midnight black. The get-up disguised which tribe she belonged to. Only her mouth could be seen.

And heard.

"And I tell you, brothers and sisters; your so-called princess is nothing but a fraud. A sham. A relic of a bygone age." She gestured at the palace. "The world has moved on, so why hasn't she? So much has changed in the last one thousand years, has it not?" She paused, allowing one or two voices to sound their agreement. "Society has progressed, has it not?" Another pause, and this time the sounds of agreement were louder and more numerous. "But I tell you this; we are capable of so much more, but she is the reason we cannot progress further! She is the one holding us back! And why?" A dramatic pause here, held so that the crowd had time to consider the question. "Because she fears that once we reach our potential, we'll realize we don't need her. And really, what do we need her for?" A small mare near the front of the crowd said something Twilight couldn't hear. "She raises the sun and moon?" The mare in black scoffed. "It's no secret that unicorns did the same thing for centuries before she and her traitorous sister conquered us! Yes, you heard me; conquered us! Made slaves of us! And she has kept us in the dirt with lies of a dark day sometime in the future when the Mare in the Moon would return to wreak bloody vengeance. But tell me this, brothers and sisters; will that day ever come?" She stomped a hoof, several members of the crowd visibly jumping at the noise. "I tell you NO! She lies because she knows that we don't need her! She lies because we are capable of exceeding her! SHE LIES BECAUSE SHE FEARS US!"

Twilight had heard enough. She started forward, fully intent on stopping this mockery by whatever means available to her, when a hoof reached out and stopped her in her tracks. She rounded on the pony who'd dare to lay a hoof an a Lawmare attending to her duties... but relaxed at the familiar and kind face of the only stallion she'd ever loved. "Shining."

"Twily." Shining Armor, her old brother, hugged his sister tightly. "I missed you."

"Missed you too." Shining Armor had been her first friend and mentor in spellslinging. He'd have made a tremendous Lawmare were it not for the disqualifying feature betwixt his rear legs. As such, he had still promoted as far as he'd been able; Captain of the Royal Guard. Their mutual positions in service to Her Majesty kept them close, and each knew that as long as their other sibling was around, there was always somepony to have their back. Twilight returned her attention to the mare in black and cracked her neck. "Shall we take her into custody together, then?"

Shining Armor shook his head. "We can't. She's not doing anything illegal."

"What?!" Twilight's horn sparked in shock. "But... how? That drivel she's spouting? That's the same nonsense my tet and I are hearing more and more out there on the roads. How can she say all that right in front of the damned palace?"

"The Princess is probably better suited to explain it." He shrugged. "All I know is that my troops are under strict orders not to interfere with any public speakers unless they openly call for rebellion."

Twilight gestured at the mare who was now going into excruciating detail on the inconsistencies of Celestia's supposed victory over the Mare in the Moon. "And that's not an open call?"

"Not unless she tells that crowd to storm the palace." He sighed. "Look, I don't like it either. Why don't you go see her Highness? Maybe you can change her mind."

"I was just on my way there." Twilight sniffed, resuming her trek.

"Wanna grab dinner later?" Her big brother called after her.

"Can't. I've got plans." She called back.

"Yeah, I bet you do."

She ignored the good natured barb and headed straight for the palace. She gave the mare in black one last look, trying to mark her face should the need to arrest her one day. While her sermon didn't stop, not even for an instant, the mare's eyes appeared from the depths of her dark hood and locked onto the Lawmare's. They glinted with something she didn't like. Some subtle cunning.

It was a look that spoke volumes.

And then Twilight was past the gates, heading up the great stairs. She left the mare in black's voice... and her eyes... far behind.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

After dropping her cargo with a palace attendant and a quick trip to the barracks to freshen up, Twilight entered Princess Celestia's study without preamble. She knew that if Equestria's ruler didn't want to be bothered, she wouldn't have been able to get past the door frame. Twilight was a gifted spellslinger, the greatest in a generation some had said, but compared to Equestria's monarch? She was nothing. Sure enough, she found herself expected. The stately alicorn was seated at her great oak desk, a huge map of Equestria spread out before her. Her royal regalia gleamed in the sunshine. She saw Twilight enter and bowed her crowned head. "Hile, Lawmare. Are we well met?"

"As always, your Grace." Twilight paused to bow low, then made her way to the desk's opposite end. She removed her hat respectfully and lowered it to the floor. "How have things been?"

"Not well..." Celestia admitted. "But not as bad as they could be." She inclined her head toward the open window. Distantly, the sound of the mare in black's sermon could still be heard. "I trust you've met Trixie?"

"Is that her name?" Twilight frowned. "We weren't introduced."

"She's quite the talented public speaker. My sources tell me she was a showmare before she found religion."

"It isn't religion she's preaching." Twilight shook her head. "Why do you allow her to carry on like that practically outside you front door? It shows weakness."

"On the contrary, sai Sparkle; it shows strength. A dictator would silence her critics the moment they opened their mouths. She stands out there, day in and day out, telling whoever will listen about what a terrible pony I am. What a monster. Yet, if I'm so terrible, then why do I allow her to carry on?" She leaned forward over the map. "She'll trip up eventually. It's why I have your brother and the other guards watching her all the time. One day she'll say the wrong thing and we can write her off as another traitor to the crown."

Twilight perked up. "Another traitor?"

Celestia grimaced. "Two of my ministers were smuggling funds to the North. Funds... and weapons."

Twilight peered at the map, her concern growing. "So she is building an army."

"Building... or built. Who can say? If she's building an army, she's hiding it very well. We still don't know her base of operations." She cocked an eyebrow at the Lawmare. "Do we?"

Twilight's shoulders slumped. "The Northern mountains are too great. And the weather? It makes them impossible to navigate. She couldn't have picked a better spot to hole up. I'm sorry."

Celestia sighed. "It's alright. We'll find her eventually. What do you have to report then? We weren't expecting you back for two more months."

Twilight leaned over the map and pointed. "We routed several bandit dens here, here, and here. We checked in on several of the outlying communities, assisted an injured courier with her mail deliveries, and touched base with the border patrols here and here. We had just left the Leota Woods and were heading up the Macintosh Hills when a blizzard started up."

"Ah, that's my fault." Celestia grinned with embarrassment. "The Weather Guild were eager to try out that new batch of blizzard magic. I thought that area reasonably unpopulated." She dipped her head. "Say sorry."

Twilight waved her off. "I figured we could wait out the storm with a family I knew lived in the area. I went ahead just as the storm hit to ensure they had room for three Lawmares. Instead I saw bodies in their wagon and knew something was up." She paused, remembering the cold. "A pair of griffons had killed the farmers who lived there. They were keeping their filly for food."

Celestia's eyes widened with shock. "Griffons? In the Macintosh Hills?"

"They probably snuck across the border in a trade caravan." Twilight pointed to the nearby border of Griffonstone. "We checked them over, but didn't find anything that indicated they were anything more than common outlaws. You might want to tell their ambassador to check those travel permits more carefully."

"Say true." Celestia murmured. "And the filly?"

"We brought her back here. I sent her to stay with a friend in the city until we can find her a permanent home."

"Good."

They sat in silence for a moment. Twilight wanted that silence never to end. She knew what was waiting at the end of it.

"You may as well tell me, Twilight." Celestia offered her the same warm, reassuring smile she'd given since her youth. "The longer you drag it out, the worse I'm afraid it might be."

Twilight sighed heavily. "Her influence is spreading."

"As expected." Her magic summoned an ink pad and floated it to she who had once been her student and now was as trusted as her own right hoof. "Where?"

Twilight dutifully dipped her hoof into the ink and started making marks on the map, adding to the ones that were already there. "We found her siguls here, here, here, here, and here."

Celestia watched impassively until Twilight was done. When the Lawmare's hoof withdrew, more than a quarter of the map was covered in black hoof-prints. "She's progressing faster than I thought."

"The ponies in these settlements are still only whispering about the Good Mare." Twilight wiped her hoof clean of ink on a nearby cloth. Nopony knew who the Good Mare was, but none could deny that she was very real and very dangerous. Whoever she was, she preached that the time had come for a revolution. That a new age of peace and prosperity was just over the horizon. The only impediment? Princess Celestia herself. "But the whispers are getting louder. We have to do something. And soon."

"And we will." Celestia checked the clock on the wall. "As soon as we know where she is." She forced herself to smile. "But enough bad news for now. Three of my best Lawmares have returned from the wilds, whole and unharmed. This calls for a feast."

Twilight smiled apologetically. "If it's all the same to you, Highness, I'd rather forego the feast. I have... plans."

Celestia's eyebrow raised. "Plans?"

"Yes. Plans." She wished that she weren't blushing. "I'm allowed to have plans, aren't I?"

"Oh yes." Celestia practically gushed. "In fact, I was getting worried that you were never going to have plans." She gestured down the hall with her wing. "Will you at least join me for tea? I won't keep you long. I know how plans can be."

Twilight smiled, reaching for her hat. "Tea would be lovely. Say thank-ya."

////////////////////////////////////////

The sun was setting by the time Twilight approached the manor house that was her destination. Upon sighting the old building, her troubled thoughts of the Good Mare quieted for the first time since her meeting with Celestia. Here, she knew, was peace. Temporary, yes, but peace still. Here was comfort and quiet reprieve.

Here was the mare who held in her possession Twilight Sparkle's sole weakness; her heart.

She stepped onto the porch, doffed her hat, and knocked three times. It swung open at once, and Twilight grinned down at the two fillies smiling at her beyond the threshold. "Are we well met, Sweetie Belle?"

"Of course!" The filly squeaked.

"Hi Twilight." Scootaloo's tiny wings buzzed with joy at again seeing her rescuer.

"I see you're doing well."

"Oh yeah! This place is awesome! There's so much food here! And the biggest bathtub I’ve ever seen!" A look of confusion crossed Scootaloo's face. "Wait; why are you here? Just to check on me?"

"No. She's here to see my big sister." Sweetie Belle smirked up at her elder. "Right?"

"I... might have things to discuss with her, yes." Twilight stammered. Damn it all, she never stammered.

"Oh, yes. We have a number of discussions to have, don't we? Lawmare." The voice was like melted butter, smooth and simmering at the same time. It preceded it's owner like an envoy, and when the alabaster mare who had so ensnared her peeked around the door Twilight's legendary resolve nearly crumbled then and there. Twilight had forgotten how achingly beautiful Rarity was. She seemed like some expertly crafted statue given life by some force beyond the spheres. Her eyes were glittering sapphires and they flashed when they locked onto Twilight's own.

"Rarity." Twilight swept the floor with her hat as she bowed. "Long days and pleasant nights."

"Oh, the days have indeed been long. But the nights? Not so pleasant." The finest lady in the whole of Canterlot extended her hoof and smiled. "Not without you here to share them with me."

Twilight took the offered appendage and kissed it, breathing in the light scent; vanilla and jasmine. A potent combination.

Scootaloo watched the interaction, then stomped her hoof in sudden understanding. "Oh! I get it now." She nodded sagely. "You two are bucking."

The moment shattered like glass, and the two elder mares stared in open-mouthed shock at the little pegasus.

Scootaloo wilted under their gaze and turned to Sweetie Belle. "We should probably go back to your room. It’s almost time for bed, right?"

Sweetie Belle blinked rapidly, then looked up at her older sister and guardian. "Rarity, what's bucking?"

"BED! NOW!" The high class mare barked, and the two fillies were gone in a flash. Rarity shook off her embarrassment, cleared her throat, and tried to salvage the situation. "Now, where were... mmph!" The last word was stolen by purple lips claiming hers, and she surrendered to the Lawmare's kiss without complaint. When Twilight pulled away, Rarity found herself trying to follow, trying to keep the kiss going longer. "That's very forward for you."

"Absence makes the hard grow fonder."

"Indeed." Rarity regained her composure and stepped to the side. "Hungry?"

"Famished."

"Good. I've taken the liberty of having the cook prepare a few of your favorites." She turned towards the dining room, deliberately swaying her hips as she walked.

"And dessert?" Twilight asked as she hung her hat and coat on a nearby rack.

"Oh, that will be served in the bedroom." Rarity looked back with eyes of fire. "It's best eaten there."

/////////////////////////////////////////

There was dinner, and loving after in the grand master bedroom. The two unicorns, spent for the time being, were contented to simply lay in each other's arms and relish the presence of one another.

Lawmares desired no reward for their action, Twilight knew. But if this was the universe's way of telling her she was doing a good job? Well, who was she to say no? She kissed her partner's cheek, tasted that vanilla and jasmine that was now tinged with sweat. "I love you." She whispered.

Rarity cooed as she snuggled deeper into her lover's embrace. "I could hear you say it a thousand times, and it would never be enough."

Twilight felt sleep creeping upon her, but something was still bothering her from earlier. "She… she called me her dinh."

"What's that, darling?" Rarity yawned.

"Moon Dancer. When we got back to the city, she called me her dinh."

"Well... aren't you?" Rarity brushed a stray lock of hair back into Twilight's mane. "They're your tet, aren't they? Moon Dancer and Lyra?"

"They are, but... I don't know." She closed her eyes and wished she could just relax. Just be a normal mare for once. To spend an evening in the bed of her beloved and not be bothered by thoughts like this. "It's a lot of responsibility being dinh. Your tet becomes more than your partners. They become your sisters and daughters in one. I... I don't know if I'm ready for that. Ready to call them my bondsmares." She opened her eyes and found Rarity's, drawing on the compassion swimming in their depths. "Our fates will be bound. We won't simply be tet any longer." She swallowed. "We'll be ka-tet."

"One from many." Rarity whispered with reverence. "Isn't that the sort of thing all Lawmares strive for?"

"A Lawmare strives only to do the bidding of her majesty." Twilight repeated the mantra almost robotically. "We seek only to serve until the day our heart stops beating. But..."

"But...?"

"But what if... what if there's something... somepony... that I want more than that? Something I'd never considered before. That I never thought would be a possibility?"

Rarity was silent for a moment. "Twilight... I could never come between you and your calling..."

Twilight cut her off with a kiss. "Maybe you're my calling. Lyra has a wife. Why can't I?"

Rarity's eyes shot wide. "Twilight, are you asking me...?"

"What if I am?" Twilight sat up and looked down at the perfect creature beside her. "I would cast my badge away and trot into the West tonight... so long as I had you."

Rarity smiled sadly and stroked her lover's face. "No. No you wouldn't. And you know it."

And Twilight did. Damn it all to the pits of Tartarus and Nar, she did. She could no more cast her badge away than sever her own horn. "Even still, would you m..."

This time it was Rarity's turn to silence her with a kiss. "Darling, you've been out on the roads. You're tired, and you're confused, and you're love-drunk." She nuzzled the Lawmare. "You can ask me again, properly, in good time. And you know what the answer will be."

Twilight knew she was right. She always was. It was one of the reasons she loved her so. "I have a few days before my next assignment. What do you want to do?"

"Well, I think that little filly you foisted upon me is dying to see the rest of the city. We could make a day of that."

"That sounds nice." Twilight leaned down and pecked her lover's lips. "What else?"

"Well..." Rarity licked her lips, trying to catch the taste she loved so much. "I've been meaning to go to the library."

"I love the library." Twilight whispered huskily, nipping the other mare's neck.

Rarity shuddered at her lover's ministrations. "I know you do." She gasped at the sensation of another love bite, this one on her stomach. "Oh, there's no limit to the things we can do now that you're home."

"Is that so?" Twilight grinned into the mare's belly fur. "And is there anything specifically you'd like me to do at this very moment?"

"Oh, Twilight, don't make me beg!"

Twilight didn't.

//////////////////////////////////

In the light of day, the mare in black preached to the masses from above, mounted on her simple wooden pulpit.

In the dark of the night, she stood equal height with the ponies assembled to hear from her... yet she felt higher above them here than she did when speaking to the crowds.

The room in which the conspirators gathered was lit only by a circle of flickering candles along the walls. As per the Good Mare's wishes, they were dressed in dark hooded robes as she herself was. This way each didn't know the identity of their fellow conspirators. Safer that way should one of them be captured and interrogated. Each of them only knew three things; they knew everyone present came from Canterlot's upper crust, they knew that death was a certainty should they be discovered, and they knew the name of the mare before them.

Her name was Trixie Lulamoon, and she spoke for the Good Mare.

"The Good Mare is pleased with how things are progressing. Each day our numbers grow." She told the assembled ponies. In reality, the present conspirators numbered only ten, but in the darkness they could practically feel an army standing just behind them. "The Good Mare is almost ready to make her move, but the last obstacles must be removed from play."

A hooded stallion stepped forward. "The best and brightest of the Royal Guard stand with the Good Mare. Should the need arise, they can subdue those who will not join us."

Trixie nodded her approval. "The Royal Guard is a threat, but not the one that concerns the Good Mare most." Her eyes found one robed mare, knowing her true identity from just the way she stood. "The Lawmares."

The hooded mare shuddered.

"The Lawmares' zealous devotion to Celestia makes them the greatest threat against what must be done. Their numbers are few, but even a single Lawmare could spell disaster." The mare in black tossed back her hood so the mare in question would see her eyes and have no doubt who it was the Good Mare's emissary was speaking to. "They must be eliminated. All of them."

The assembled conspirators muttered to themselves and each other at this pronouncement. The stallion from before stepped forward once more. "The Lawmares are still a symbol to a great many in Canterlot. I understand the Good Mare's concerns, but killing them all might have an unintended effect." He looked toward the mare Trixie had singled out. She was shivering now. "Make them martyrs, and Canterlot might fight in their name."

"All the more reason to remove them quickly." Trixie smiled. "Already plans are in place that will send the Lawmares far from Canterlot. With them out of the city, we will be free to make our move unimpeded. If they return, the city will already be ours. It will be too late for them to do anything."

The mare finally spoke up. "If they return?"

"What could be so catastrophic that Celestia would empty the city of Lawmares?" The stallion asked.

"The less you know the better." Trixie chided them gently. "Just keep prepared, and keep a weather eye. The time to move is soon. Some of you will be out of Canterlot before the fall. Your presence will be needed in the North." She focused on the stallion. "Especially you, sai."

The stallion said nothing.

"Everything we have worked for is coming to fruition. We are about to usher Equestria into a golden age the likes of which it has never seen. Your names will echo in the halls of eternity for all that you've done here." Trixie pulled her hood back up. "May the Good Mare watch over you."

"And you." Came the echoed reply from those assembled.

As they filed out of the chamber past her, the mare she'd singled out lingered behind. Trixie had known she would. Once the others were gone, she slowly approached the mare in black. "You... you never told me they were all going to die."

"The world has moved on." Trixie put a hoof on the mare's shoulder. "It's time they moved on with it." The mare shuddered with a heavy sob, and Trixie yanked her into an embrace. "The Good Mare knows your suffering. You will be rewarded beyond all others for your sacrifice."

The mare sniffled. "Will I... will I be sent away as well?"

"The Good Mare has not given that knowledge to me yet. Only the one knows of his imminent departure. Once I know the rest, then you'll be told. You have to have faith."

"I do." The mare sobbed again, and Trixie was repulsed at the feel of snot trailing down her shoulder. "I wouldn't be here if I didn't."

"Go home." Trixie told her as she pulled away. "Get rest while you can. The great work draws near."

Once the mare was gone, the mare in black gave the empty chamber a final once over before extinguishing the lights one by one. In her mind, it wasn't tiny flames she was dousing, but the lives of each and every stallion and mare who had wronged her. Bit by bit, her beloved, cooling darkness filled the space as each imaginary enemy was done away with. Finally, only one remained.

One light.

One life.

"Celestia." She whispered, and then spat. Her saliva hit the flame where it sizzled and died. The room was dark now, but even the room's darkness couldn't match the vantablack that dwelled in her heart. She was Trixie Lulamoon, the mare in black, the right hoof of the Good Mare.

And she would see Canterlot reduced to rubble at her hooves.