• Published 17th Sep 2012
  • 1,499 Views, 33 Comments

Fallout Equestria: "As I Wander" - Jacoboby1



A Fallout Equestria Side Story taking place a decade before the original

  • ...
5
 33
 1,499

Chapter 2 "Crystallite"

Chapter 2

“Crystallite”

“It’s a mare,” I said, as I looked at the unicorn lying in front of me.

Everypony holstered their weapons and walked to the cage. Rosy looked over my shoulder at the small mare. “Well, isn’t she just a cute little thing?” she said, her golden eyes gazing at her.

I gave my friend a look. “Will you check and make sure she’s still alive?”

Rosy nodded slowly, and walked to the mare. She put an ear to the mare’s mouth and listened for a minute. “She’s still breathing, so she must just be knocked out.”

Trample looked over my shoulder not at the mare, but at the Pipbuck on her leg. He gestured with his head for me to walk with him. I nodded, and we walked a little ways from the tent. Burstfire stood guard while Rosy examined the unicorn. Alice stood on top of the cage surveying the area, like a hawk.

Trample stopped and looked at me with his violet eyes. “Do you realize what’s on her leg?”

I nodded. “I’ve known Stable Dwellers, Trample; I know what a Pipbuck looks like.”

“Then I don’t need to tell you just how valuable that kind of tech is,” my grey coated friend said, with a solemn look. “It’s a watch, a vitals reader, and a map maker, all in one. Plus a whole bunch of Stable-tech gear works with it.”

“That’s all well and good, but you and I both know it’s attached to her leg,” I said, pointing back at the cage. “We can’t take it off without risking her health.”

“We could always chop her leg off,” Burstfire suggested, landing beside us.

“Burstfire, what have I told you about eavesdropping?” I scolded the young Pegasus.

“I’m not a colt, Drift!” He snapped, his frost blue eyes betraying his annoyance. “I can give an opinion on the team!”

“So, your opinion is to saw off some stranger’s leg?” I retorted, my own green eyes glaring angrily at him. “We are not raiders! We don’t do things like that.”

“Then what do you expect us to do about her?” Burstfire glared back at me. “You saw how small and weak looking she is. She’s no good to us, so why should we bother with her?”

I conked the Pegasus on the head. “That’s enough from you! Get back to your post!”

He rubbed his head and glared at me. He then swore under his breath and flew up high in the air. He may say he isn’t a colt, but he sure acts like one.

Rosy poked her head out of the shade of the cage and looked up at Alice. “Hun, could you be a peach and give me a hoof here?”

Alice tilted her head. “We are not a peach, we are an Alicorn. Why would we give you a hoof? You have four of them.”

Rosy rolled her gold eyes and gestured to the inside of the cage. “I want you to help me carry her to the tumbler.”

Alice raised an eyebrow. “Why didn’t you just say that in the first place?”

Rosy just facehoofed, as the Alicorn descended from her perch and went inside the cage. She came out with the unicorn mare slung over her back. The mare stayed sound asleep as she was placed in the back seat of the tumbler.

The group gathered together and sat in a circle. Rosy looked over at me. “I guess the real question is, what do we do now?”

I pondered my decision for a bit. Everypony here was looking to me for guidance. Burstfire may not admit it, but even he will listen to me if I said so. I knew what we had to do.

“We strip the camp, and take her with us back to Dodge” I said, firmly.

Trample looked at me as if I lost my mind. “You drinking Brahmin piss or something? We can’t just take her to Dodge, Jackal’s already on our ass about not bringing back any supplies from the last job.”

“Well, Jackal can kiss my ass,” Rosy retorted. “That mare needs our help, and we can’t just leave her!”

Trample looked over at Rosy. “Look she’s a liability, probably only been out in the wastes for two days. I say we get that Pipbuck off her, and leave her for the raiders.”

“You ain’t seriously suggesting that, Trample!” Rosy said, getting in the earth pony’s face. “She’s alive, in case you haven’t noticed!”

Burstfire spoke up, “I agree with Trample, she’s not our problem. We only came here to get the Raiders out of the way, which we did. Nopony said anything about taking in a lost mare.”

“Burstfire, how can you be so insensitive?” Rosy asked, her voice raising a few octaves. “We are not leaving her!”

I looked around the circle and realized we were one short “Hey, has anypony seen Alice?”

The four of us looked around for a minute before my green eyes fell upon Alice. She was in the Tumbler’s back seat. The roof was gone long ago so the Alicorn could fit in it. She was bent over the Unicorn mare gently nuzzling her baby blue head.

I walked past my three staring companions to Alice. I looked at the Alicorn curiously. She looked back up at me with wide green eyes. She didn’t need to speak in my head to tell why she was over here.

“You didn’t want to hear us fight?” I said, conveying the message her eyes were showing.

She nodded slowly. “We do not like it when the herd fights. Their thoughts are so loud and angry. This one’s are sweet and quiet,” she said, gesturing to the mare she was nuzzling.

The mare seemed to smile a little at being cared for by the Alicorn. I looked back at the group. Everypony wore a guilty expression; even Burstfire was looking at least a little hurt by Alice’s statement. Nopony in our group liked it when Alice was upset with us.

I put a hoof on the Alicorn’s shoulder. “What do you think we should do?”

“This one is lost,” Alice said, in all of our heads. “We all should try and help her find her herd.”

I nodded, and looked over at the group. “All right, everypony strip this camp and take anything useful. That includes ammo, parts, medicine, anything that we can use or trade is fair game. Everything else we leave.”

________________________________________________________

I levitated a small clipboard as I wrote down the supplies we found among the camp’s boxes. Most ponies don’t remember how to write down things anymore. It's not really a skill you think is useful, but merchant ponies liked their things organized, so writing is a necessity nowadays.

“Okay, Trample, what have we got?” I asked, as Trample tossed a box filled with supplies into the trunk of the vehicle.

“Let’s see, we got a pair of assault rifles in shitty condition. We got some cans of hay fries, which could be good eating. Got some ammo for our weapons, and we can sell the magical energy weapon ammo when we get back to Dodge.”

“What are raiders doing with energy weapon ammo?” I asked. “Did any of them have a magic pistol on them?”

Trample shook his grey head. “Nah, I checked everywhere. They must’ve picked it up in a raid and didn’t know what to do with it. Probably planned to sell it or something for food.”

“Any other food?” I asked, writing down these things on the paper.

“Some sugar bombs, a couple of cans of carrots, and believe it or not, we got some bottles of Sparkle Cola.”

“You keep those away from Burstfire” I said, with a smirk. “You know how fast he can down those things.”

“I know that” Trample said, with a chuckle. “We’re just lucky you didn’t stumble across any Pinkie Snacks, we know how fast you can down those.”

I flushed a little in embarrassment, if there was one thing in the wasteland I could go for on a warm cloudy day, it was Pinkie Snacks. Something about those sugar filled candies just made me want more. Sweet Celestia, what I would give for some right now.

“Anything else, aside from food and shitty guns?” I asked, adding the food items to the inventory list.

“Got some Buck and Mint-als, but you know we don’t want to be selling that crap,” Trample said, with a shake of his head.

I nodded, “Keep it on hoof, though, just in case. You never know what poor wretched soul we may have to feed in order to get something.”

He nodded and closed the trunk. “That should be everything. Let’s get back to Dodge; I’m in the mood for to see Fantasia.”

I rolled my eyes. “This makes how many this week?”

He thought for a moment, and tapped his hooves on the ground as he counted. “I’d say three and a half,” he said, after making the calculation.

“Three and a half?” I asked, with a raised eyebrow. “How do you sleep with half a pony?”

“She was a ghoul” Trample replied, shrugging. “I count them as halves.”

I facehoofed as he laughed and got into the tumbler. When it comes to mares, Trample can’t keep his hooves off them. It was a habit I wished he would buck to the curb.

Alice, who was on lookout, suddenly growled from atop the cage. I looked at her. “Alice, what’s wrong?”

“There are others coming! Raiders,” she said, in my head.

I walked out of the edge of the camp, and pulled out my binoculars. I levitated them to my eyes, and looked around. Sure enough, off to the West approaching fast were five motorized carriages with gunners on top. They would be here in minutes.

I shouted to the camp. “Everypony to the tumbler now!”

Rosy tossed one last medical kit into the back seat, before leaping in herself. She helped Burstfire into the back seat of the vehicle as Trample turned on the ignition. I looked up at Alice “Alice! Give me a lift!”

She nodded and flew down to pick me up in her forelegs. I levitated out Blackbird as we flew towards the raiders, only they didn’t look like normal raiders.

The gunners were clad in black cloaks with blue linings; their carriages were painted black with a blue symbol of a bleeding eye on them. Another thing I noticed, every single one of the gunners had Pip Bucks.

“Their minds are strange,” Alice thought, as we hovered over the speeding carriages. “They seek the little one, but we cannot determine why.”

“They don’t look friendly,” I pointed out, as one of the carriages got closer. Suddenly a window of one opened, a black cloaked pony peeked out, and aimed a sniper rifle at me. He didn’t get the chance to fire it; as I shot him in the head before he could.

His friends didn’t take too kindly to their friend getting killed. Suddenly the air became a fire zone with the cloaked figures aiming assault rifles at Alice. Alice hissed, dodging and weaving her way around the bullets.

I tried not to throw up, as I was being shot at as well. I aimed Blackbird with my magic and shot another figure in the head. He fell off the speeding carriage. I saw that his coat was also painted black, and he had strange blue tattoos all over his body.

These certainly weren’t normal raiders.

I looked up at Alice. “Get us back to the Tumbler!”

She nodded and we flew away as quick as she could manage, while carrying an extra passenger. I saw the Tumbler speeding away from the camp. It slowed down just enough for Alice to land on the roof of it. I got out of Alice’s forelegs, hopping into the front seat alongside Trample, who was at the wheel.

“What took you so long?” Trample asked, flooring the gas pedal.

“Oh you know,” I said, looking out the window. “Getting friendly with the locals.”

A bullet hit the side of the Tumbler’s armored plating, and I ducked back inside. Trample rolled his eyes. “Seems you forgot to offer to walk their Hellhounds or something.”

“Can the humor, Trample,” I said, looking at him. “Can we lose them?”

Trample and I looked outside. The carriages were gaining on us. “Not at this speed, if I didn’t have the cargo I could go faster, but we can’t risk it!”

“Then we’ll have to just pick them off.” I reached under the seat and pulled out an assault rifle. I levitated ammo into it and glanced quickly into the back seat. Burstfire already had out his battle saddle and was firing shots at the carriages pursuing us. Judging by the sound of the explosion that followed, he must’ve hit one.

Rosy looked at me, and then at the sleeping stable dweller. “We can’t keep running! Her condition isn’t stable!”

“I told you we should’ve left her behind!” Burstfire retorted, as he fired another shot with his battle saddle.

“No time to argue!” I shouted, while I finished loading the assault rifle. “Just shoot!”

I peeked out of the Tumbler, and held the assault rifle to my eyes. My magic pulled on the trigger and I fired at an approaching carriage. I hit the gunner on top and he fell off the carriage, his stomach filled with holes.

“Where’s Alice?” I asked, while firing at the wheels of the carriage. The wheel’s flattened and the carriage crashed on its side, crushing the inhabitants inside.

“We are holding them off!”

A minute later a nearby carriage got hit by a blast of pure magic. Before my very eyes, the carriage melted upon contact with the magic. The inhabitants inside didn’t have a chance.

“Good job, Alice!” I said, glancing up at the roof where she was.

“There’s still two more of them!” Burstfire said, while taking cover behind the door.

“Use the big one, Alice!” Trample shouted, from behind the wheel.

“On it!”

I looked out of the window as Trample pressed a series of buttons on the console. On the roof, Alice stood back and watched as a turret formed itself in front of her. Alice inserted her forelegs into the sides of the turret. She turned the cannon towards one of the remaining two carriages. Her horn glowed bright green, and the cannon glowed as well.

She shoved her hooves forward and a burst of magical energy fired out of the cannon. The blast made a direct hit on the carriage, and it exploded in a blast of green light. The remaining carriage suddenly turned and retreated. Alice smiled as she looked at the retreating carriage.

“Nopony harms our herd!”

I let out a breath of air and sat back in the seat. “How are we doing on energy?”

Trample looked at a meter on the console. “Looks like we’ve got a few hours’ worth, but not enough to get back to Dodge without a recharge.”

I nodded and looked outside; there was a small rocky area nearby with some caves. I pointed to a big one. “Park it there; we’ll camp for the night.”

Trample nodded and turned the wheel towards the caves. I looked back at Rosy who was gently stroking the mare on the head. She looked up at me, and raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“I know you think she’s cu-“

“Drift, I can’t believe you would think I would take advantage of a sweet thing like this!” She retorted in mock hurt.

“I wasn’t going to say anything.”

“You were thinkin' it in that crazy mind of yers!” Rosy said, narrowing her eyes.

“It was Rosy who was thinking odd things about the mare, not Drift.” Alice thought, while she was hanging onto the roof. She stayed up there since there was no room for her inside the tumbler with all of us in it.

Rosy frowned. “Tattle tale.”

We just laughed good naturally as we drove to our camping spot.

________________________________________________________

Burstfire made a fire using some old wood and newspaper clippings we found in our travels. He smiled at his work. “How’s that, Drift?”

“Good work, Burstfire,” I said, with a small smile, as the rest of us unpacked the camp gear. “Now get over here and help with the bedrolls.”

Burstfire nodded and headed over to the trunk of the tumbler to pull out some old camping bed rolls. They weren’t perfect but anything was better than just sleeping on the ground. He set them down and went to get some more supplies out of the trunk, while Trample started working on the tumbler.

Alice walked off by herself to be our lookout. I wandered over by the fire, where Rosy was watching over our guest. “How is she?”

“Better now that nopony is shooting us,” Rosy said, with a smile. “Keep an eye on her while I get her some water.”

I nodded and sat down beside the mare. She was a small thing; I wondered how she got this far all by herself.

I nuzzled her head gently and I felt her stir. My green eyes grew wide in shock as I looked down at her. Slowly she blinked open a pair of pretty brown eyes. She looked up at me drowsily then her eyes grew wide in shock. She backed off from me, those same brown eyes looking at me with fear.

“Who- who are you?” she asked, in a soft voice.

She must not have seen anypony outside of her vault, at least no good pony. I smiled at her gently. “I’m Drift, you’re in my camp. What’s your name?”

She spoke her name slowly, “Crystallite, I’m from Stable 99. I’m looking for my brother...”