• Published 4th Apr 2022
  • 570 Views, 26 Comments

Formula Shy - RushingWind-01



Fluttershy wants to become a race driver, but is met with disbelief from her friends. But her dream will soon become reality...

  • ...
2
 26
 570

Prologue (updated)

Canterlot City, March 4 2022, 6 days before the Australian GP

It was a beautiful and warm spring day in Canterlot City, and this was the last week before Spring Break. This was also the final year for the Mane 7, who have spent most of their school time together.

Fluttershy, who decided to leave her boots home again, happily walks for Canterlot High. The kind and shy girl has something in her mind once she graduates from high school. Judging by her volunteering for Canterlot's animal shelter, one would think she would run an animal shelter herself in the future. However, after recent experiences, she now had different plans, and she was looking forward to the reaction of her friends.

At the entrance to the school, Fluttershy spotted her friends. "Hi!", she called out to them, at which she was greeted by her friends.

"How are you doing, darling?", Rarity asked.

"I'm doing really fine this morning, thank you.", Fluttershy said a bit shyly.

"I'm glad to hear that, 'Shy.", Rainbow Dash said, and patted her dear friend on the shoulder.

"Well, not too long now until our final exams, and if we get them right, we actually graduate from high school.", Twilight said.

"Yeah! And then... life begins!", Pinkie Pie said, and everyone shared a good laugh.

"Come to think of it, have any of you got an idea what you want to do once we graduate?", Rarity asked everyone.

"I would like to become a scientist in a high-class science lab.", Twilight said.

"My goal is to become a top player in soccer, bringing a top team to victory.", Rainbow Dash said enthusiastically.

"Working in a chocolate factory!", Pinkie Pie said happily, licking her mouth at the very thought.

"I have no immediate plans, but I'll see what I can get.", Sunset Shimmer said.

"Spending time with my family, and bringing my apple farm to the best there ever is!", Applejack said with confidence.

"And I would really love to run my own boutique, creating fabulous dresses for high-class customers.", Rarity said.

"What about you, Fluttershy? What do you want to do once you graduate from high school?", Rainbow Dash asked.

"Hehe, I think you'll be surprised by this, but... I would really like to become a race driver!", Fluttershy said.

The Mane 7 gasped. Especially Rainbow Dash was in disbelief about Fluttershy's response.

"You what? What makes you think that, Fluttershy?", Rainbow Dash asked in curiosity.

"Well, you see...", Fluttershy began...


"You're not gonna believe this, but I actually participated in an Esports Event which mostly was about Formula 1. I was trying out just for the fun of it, but I actually managed to qualify for the finals. When I took part in the finals, I was able to take the top 7 spot. I honestly couldn't believe it. You wouldn't believe how many people were watching this, and I was thinking about backing out in every single moment while I was racing. But on the other hand, I was competing with the very best, and I was bringing honor to our country, so I couldn't stop. I wanted to show the world that there was more to me than everyone thinks..."


"And... I was having so much fun... that I want to become a race driver.", Fluttershy finished.

"Well... Talk about a brave girl striving for more.", Sunset Shimmer praised, making Fluttershy blush.

"Come on, Sunset! Fluttershy, it was just a game! Who knows what would happen if you drive a race for real? A race is unpredictable - and dangerous.", said Rainbow Dash, worried for her dearest friend.

"I know that a race is unpredictable. But the danger is what makes it so fun!", Fluttershy said.

"And also, you hate performing in front of an audience! And I'm sure that a race is no different.", Rainbow Dash tried again.

Fluttershy rolled her eyes. "I know that. But I'm rather shy when it comes to stage play when it's just me on stage or the spotlight is shining on me... In a race, when you see 20 cars zipping by with speed, you can't tell who is who unless you look at the TV broadcast.", was the explanation from the shy girl.

"Why, I never thought about you being a race driver. But imagining it is, how should I put it... something out of the ordinary.", Rarity stated.

"Seriously, it sounds like the best - thing - EVER!", said Pinkie Pie in her usual manner.

"And mind if I ask how on earth you got into Formula 1 in the first place?", asked Applejack, a bit curious.

"When I was at Rushing Wind's home, I got to play his favorite F1 game, F1 2020. At first, I was struggling to get going, but as Rush trained me and gave me tips on how to drive, I went faster and faster. And like I said, in the Esports Event, I took 7th.", Fluttershy explained.

"Well, didn't think ya'd be this quick at learnin' new things.", Applejack said.

The bell rang. "Okay, let's get going. I'll see you later.", Fluttershy said, and alongside Rainbow Dash, she went to class.


During Maths class, Fluttershy was focused on an equation, and as she asked Rainbow Dash about something regarding this very equation, the P.A. made a sound, and Principal Celestia's voice was heard.

"Fluttershy, please come to the Principal's Office. It's urgent.", she said.

With a bit of shock, Fluttershy looked at Rainbow Dash. What would the principal want from her now? Several thoughts, mostly not so good, went through her mind.

"Just go, Fluttershy. Everything will be fine.", said Rainbow Dash, to comfort her.

Fluttershy threw her backpack on her back, and went out of the classroom heading for the Principal's Office. As she walked to the office, she kept thinking about what would happen now. She didn't remember doing anything that could get her into trouble.

Nervously, Fluttershy knocked on the door. From the other side, Celestia called out: "Come in!"

Fluttershy walked in. "You called for me, Principal Celestia?", Fluttershy asked, still a bit nervous.

"Yes. There's someone who wants to talk to you.", the principal said. Then, she turned to the man in front of her. "Sir?", she said.

"Yes.", said the man before turning to Fluttershy, "So, you're Fluttershy, right?"

"Uh-huh.", Fluttershy said, and nodded. "But... who are you?"

"The name's Franz Tost. I'm the team principal of AlphaTauri.", the man said, and continued, "Ever heard of that team?"

"I heard of the team. I remember it being a playable team in Formula 1 games. The Junior Team of Red Bull, am I right?", Fluttershy asked, a bit unsure about what she should say.

"Exactly. And we seem to be in a little problem right now. A few days earlier, our number two driver, Yuki Tsunoda, was involved in an accident.", Tost explained.

"Oh my... I hope he's okay...", Fluttershy said in slight worry.

"He's okay, but he's unable to race for some time. So we need to look for someone new. And seeing that you did a fine job in that F1 Esports Event..."

When Tost mentioned that, Fluttershy's heart slightly jumped. He was about to say something that could fulfil her dream...

"This is... I don't know how to say that... But... How about you want to join AlphaTauri for this year's F1 season?", Tost finally asked.

"Oh my... Really?", Fluttershy asked in surprise, "But... I don't know... It was just a game..."

"No. That Esports Event is more than that. It basically shows that you do have the potential to mess with the best of the best indeed. And you would be the first American F1 driver in a full season since Scott Speed in 2007, and that was 15 years ago.", Tost explained.

"Oh my... the first American driver in 15 years?", Fluttershy said, amazed by this sheer amount of time since an American raced in F1. A thought crossed her mind - she, the newbie at AlphaTauri, the first American driver in 15 years. All focus on her, and no one else. She slightly squeaked at this thought.

"Are you okay?", asked Tost.

"I'm fine... I was just... lost in thoughts.", Fluttershy said.

"Glad to hear that, dearie.", Tost said.

"So... what's gonna happen if I agree?", asked Fluttershy, still a bit nervous from that thought.

"You're gonna race in the most prestigious sport on the planet. When can you make it to Melbourne?", Tost asked.

Fluttershy felt her heart flutter of excitement. This would be the chance to fulfil that dream she pursued. But, she needed some comfort - and a response from a friend.

"Um... I'll tell you later.", she said.

"It's a one-time offer, so don't think about it for too long.", Tost reminded, and Fluttershy nodded before she left the room.


Fluttershy was unsure. She could actually fulfil her dream of becoming a race driver. But what about her friends? She knew from Rushing Wind, her beloved friend, that Formula 1 is very often on tour, and this would mean that she wouldn't have much time for them as well...

But come to think of Rush... Maybe at least one of them will stand by her when she's racing...

She quickly ran to the girls' bathroom, thinking about what to do. As the cold floor on her bare feet gave her a little shiver, she still made up her mind about her decision.

After taking out her smartphone from her bag and letting out a big sigh, she dialed Rushing Wind. After two dialing tones, he answered.

"Hello?", came Rush's voice from the other side.

"Hi, Rush.", Fluttershy said.

"Oh, hey Fluttershy. How are you doing today?", Rush asked his beloved friend.

"I'm doing good, thanks. Hey, um... Mind if I... um..." Fluttershy stuttered, knowing Rush wouldn't believe her if she told her about this amazing opportunity.

"What is it, Flutty? You need to tell me something?", Rush asked in curiosity.

"Y-yes... um... You're not gonna believe this, but... um...", Fluttershy started.

"But what?", Rush pushed, seemingly desperate to know the answer.

Fluttershy let out a big sigh, and finally said: "Today, someone by the name of Franz Tost was here, and asked me if I was interested in joining AlphaTauri for this year's Formula 1 season!"

"You're joking! You're joking, aren't you!?", Rushing Wind said in disbelief.

"I'm not! I think I actually might join Formula 1!", Fluttershy stated.

"Whoa! Wow! That is awesome, Flutty! Needless to say, I'm proud of you!", Rushing Wind praised.

"Aw, thank you, Rush.", Fluttershy said, before going to another topic, "There's just one problem, though..."

"What is it?", Rush asked.

"My friends... What are they gonna do when I'm gone? F1 is a sport where you travel a lot around the world, and it somewhat feels so... wrong to leave them behind just to chase my dream...", Fluttershy said, slight worry in her voice.

"I think you especially refer about Rainbow Dash and me, right?", Rushing Wind guessed.

"Yeah. I wouldn't be able to see them when there's a race every weekend. You told me that there's Practice on Fridays, Qualifying on Saturdays, and the Race is on Sunday...", Fluttershy explained.

"True. But there's not a race weekend every week, you know. In such cases, and when you get to your home GP, there's a high chance you can come home for a few days again.", Rushing Wind said.

This calmed Fluttershy down a bit. Knowing that she would get to visit her friends every now and then, especially after her home grand prix, gave her a bit of safety and confidence. "Say, um... You also said that an F1 driver would need a race engineer on their side... Do you..."

"Do I want to be your race engineer? Well, I'd never say no when it's about you.", Rush said.

Fluttershy smiled. She knew that she was talking to Rushing Wind, and he'd do anything to help her, whether the going gets tough or not, and even in a circumstance like this, he would never say 'No' if it's about Fluttershy.

"And by the way, I know a guy who can give us a bit of backup. When and where is the first race supposed to be?", Rush asked.

"It's this week, in Melbourne.", Fluttershy said.

"Melbourne? Wasn't that-- oh, right. Bahrain and Jeddah were cancelled. We got a 20-race calendar this year, and Melbourne is the season opener this year.", Rushing Wind said, "But nevertheless, I'm down. And about your friends, tell them you're going to join F1. I'd be very proud to see you in an F1 car anytime soon."

"Okay, see you soon.", Fluttershy said and ended the call. Now that Rushing Wind was fine with it, she only needed to tell her friends, and then, she had to tell Franz Tost that she was in.


"You're gonna WHAT?", asked the Mane 7 in surprise. Before they went to the cafeteria for lunch, Fluttershy told them about her plans, and about the opportunity she has.

"Uh-huh. I'm actually gonna join Formula 1 this week. My first race will be in Melbourne, and I'm so excited to begin!", Fluttershy said in excitement.

"Huh, sounds cool. But isn't Formula 1 a sport where the drivers and teams are on tour a lot?", Sunset asked, a bit in disbelief.

"Yes," Fluttershy said, "but two GPs are held here in the States, so after those, I might get the chance to spend a lot more time with you after the races are done."

"But Fluttershy, are you actually serious about this?", Rainbow Dash asked.

"Yes, Rainbow. I'm gonna travel the world and compete in the most exciting sport on the planet!", Fluttershy said, getting more excited by the minute.

"Fluttershy, Formula 1 is a dangerous sport! Haven't you seen what happened to Max Verstappen last year?", Rainbow asked in huge worry and showed Fluttershy the clip from the final lap of the Abu Dhabi GP 2021, in which Verstappen's engine and car exploded at the last corner after said driver tried to push to the finish line as fast as humanly possible while suffering a severe engine issue.

Instead of a shocked reaction that her friends expected, Fluttershy remained calm, but frowned, and said: "I know. Rush has told me about it. But Verstappen is someone else, a showman trying to win by any means necessary, even if it puts his life or the life of others at risk. If this happened to me, I would've retired the car."

"Even if it was the final lap?", Rainbow Dash asked in surprise.

"Yes. It's just to be safe.", Fluttershy responded.

"Rainbow, maybe we should trust Fluttershy. You know what she said - bein' a race driver is her dream.", Applejack said.

"I know, AJ... But what if she gets into a terrible accident and gets hurt? I wouldn't wanna imagine this scenario...", Rainbow Dash said, tears already building up in her eyes, "Fluttershy... I don't wanna lose you... You're one of our dearest friends..."

"Aw, Rainbow. You won't. You will be proud of me.", Fluttershy said, trying to comfort Rainbow a bit... which helped.

"Did you already ask Rush about it?", Twilight asked.

"I did. And he said that he'd be glad to be my race engineer, and he'd also bring some backup.", Fluttershy said.

"Well, if Rush is so well-organized with F1, I would accept that challenge. After all, it does sound like quite the task to drive and worry about the car, and when you have a race engineer to let you know about troubles with your car, it sure takes some pressure away.", Rarity said.

"Yeah! And who knows, if Fluttershy wins, I'll throw a Formula-1-Winner Party for her!", Pinkie Pie said, already excited to see Fluttershy race.

"Those cars are technical masterpieces. And I know that Fluttershy wouldn't drive reckless, so maybe someone like her might get the most out of these race cars.", Twilight added, also imagining Fluttershy taking an F1 car to the limit, while still staying in the limit.

"Rainbow, AJ is right. You should trust Fluttershy. I'm very sure that she won't get into an accident in her first race.", Sunset said to give Rainbow Dash some comfort.

"Okay, I'll trust you. But Fluttershy, when you get into the race... Please be careful out there.", Rainbow Dash said, still with worry in her voice.

"Aw, don't worry, Rainbow. Rush said that most drivers in F1 are very talented, so what's the worst that can happen?", Fluttershy said, with confidence in her voice.


August 28 2022...

FORMULA 1 Rolex Belgian GP 2022 - Round 12 - Spa-Francorchamps

"The race in Spa-Francorchamps is entering its final stages, and it looks like a clear win for Red Bull."

"Okay, Checo. Gap to Hamilton is 2.7. You're looking good."

"Now Max Verstappen against Lewis Hamilton, eight time world champion."

Going into La Source, Verstappen dives down the inside of Lewis Hamilton, who quickly moves to the outside.

"Whoa, Verstappen is always going for it, isn't he?", said Lewis Hamilton over the team radio.

"Pierre Gasly, the French lone gun, dominating the middle field right now."

"I can't get by. Give command to defend.", said a frustrated Pierre Gasly, stuck behind one of the Ferraris.

"Verstappen now behind Sergio Perez, so far a great race for the Red Bull team."

As Verstappen slowly closed in to Sergio Perez, he knew he'd be behind him anytime soon.

"Give Checo order to let me by." - "Understood, Max."

"AlphaTauri's 26 is defending the position."

The AlphaTauri with the number 26 held themselves well against the midfield pack, defending the position wherever possible.

"You're doing great, 26. Keep this up.", said Jeff, the race engineer of AlphaTauri's 26.

"The race has entered the final lap, and this looks like a one-two for Red Bull!"

"Man, I can't get by! What the fuck is he doing?", said Verstappen, almost at the brink of rage as he heads into Eau Rouge alongside Sergio Perez.

"Max Verstappen now trying to pass!" - "He's going for it!"

As both Red Bulls entered Eau Rouge, Sergio Perez was outside, but wasn't aware of Verstappen's proximity.

"They're heading into Eau Rouge now!" - "Contact!"

The contact caused Verstappen to spin and rushed into the wall, terminally damaging the car, and the wreck flew back onto the track, in front of George Russell's Mercedes. And then...

"Verstappen has lost it! Russell has no space to dodge! Oh, what a terrible accident! Ricciardo in the wall! Pierre Gasly sliding right over the grass field! Max Verstappen is out of the race, AlphaTauri's 26 is damaged! There's debris everywhere on the track! This is unbelieveable!" - "Half the drivers are out of the race, and it looks like at least two need medical assistance."

10 terminally damaged cars were at Eau Rouge, a few cars were heavily damaged, but could still keep going. Then, all focus shifted to the AlphaTauri in P5.

"Wait a second, Ant! AlphaTauri's 26 is heavily damaged, but they don't retire the car! They want to keep going!" - "What a confidence from AlphaTauri's 26!"


LAP 22/22

Fluttershy just barely managed to get through the carnage in Eau Rouge, and is now sat on P5, with a damaged bodywork. Her front wing and her tires are still intact though.

"Okay 26, you have to retire. There's too much debris on the track.", said Jeff, Fluttershy's primary race engineer.

"Negative. Keep the car in the race. Repeat, don't retire.", said Rushing Wind, who also was on the radio with Fluttershy.

"Rush, the 26 is severely damaged, and Pierre's not responding. Is he okay?", Jeff asked.

"Pierre's okay. He just got out of the danger zone.", Rush said, "You just focus on the race, Fluttershy."

"Will do, Rush!", Fluttershy said, with unusual confidence in her voice.

"Let me know once there's more to tell. Can you confirm the strategy?", Jeff asked.

"Hey, half the drivers are out. If we continue on now, we're getting a good chunk of points. We can't stop now!", Rushing Wind said, trying to shed light onto the situation.

"Alright, 26. Finish the race.", Jeff said.

"On it.", said Fluttershy.

"Go, go, go!", cheered Rushing Wind.

Fluttershy went into Les Combes, and had a little struggle to keep the car stable thanks to the underbody damage, but it was still fine. She knew how to keep the car under control when the floor is damaged. Into Turn 10, she spotted 4th, which was Charles Leclerc with a damaged wing from the accident. Using a good exit from Turn 11, Fluttershy caught the Ferrari driver before going into Pouhon. Out of the turn, she spotted Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton in 3rd and 2nd.

"Keep going, you're doing good, 26. You got this!", Jeff cheered.

Fluttershy managed to catch Alonso before going into Campus, and coming out of Turn 15, Stavelot, she got close to Lewis Hamilton, before she caught him with a very good exit out of Turn 16, placing her in 2nd.

"Just a few more corners! You can do it!", Jeff said, as Fluttershy headed for the Bus Stop Chicane.

Under braking, she caught Red Bull driver and race leader Sergio Perez, taking first place. With a good exit out of Turn 20, out of the Bus Stop Chicane, she took the checkered flag and won the race in the most unpredictable scenario possible.

"Awesome! P1, that's the race win! Well done, Fluttershy!", Rush praised his dear racer.

"Whoohooo! Yes, yes, yes!", Fluttershy cheered as she drove her victory lap and then back into the pits. That final lap certainly changed everything, and this will most likely be a day to remember. Not just for her, but also for the drivers. One moment of aggression from a top-class driver caused a huge accident, which drove her to a huge success in one of the toughest tracks in the calendar.


As Fluttershy was heading to the podium with Sergio Perez and Lewis Hamilton, she was being cheered by the crowd, and her team.

"Here she is, the lady of the hour, Fluttershy!" - "A resounding victory, and a fantastic success for this exceptional driver!" - "You got it! This race will most likely be one to remember for the ages! And this girl has got a fantastic career ahead of her."

Fluttershy received her winner's trophy, and celebrated alongside the other two podium finishers. And Crofty was right - this is a race that Fluttershy will remember forever, not just because she drove to her maiden win, but because she survived the carnage caused by Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

Author's Note:

Race Result:

P1 - Fluttershy (Car 26, Scuderia AlphaTauri) - 25 points
P2 - Sergio Perez (Car 11, Oracle Red Bull Racing) - 18 points
P3 - Lewis Hamilton (Car 44, Mercedes-AMG Petronas) - 16 points (Fastest Lap)
P4 - Fernando Alonso (Car 14, Alpine-Renault) - 12 points
P5 - Charles Leclerc (Car 16, Scuderia Ferrari) - 10 points
P6 - Nico Hülkenberg (Car 27, Aston Martin Cognizant) - 8 points
P7 - Alexander Albon (Car 23, Williams Racing) - 6 points
P8 - Lance Stroll (Car 18, Aston Martin Cognizant) - 4 points
P9 - Nicholas Latifi (Car 6, Williams Racing) - 2 points
P10 - Mick Schumacher (Car 47, Haas) - 1 point
P11 - Daniel Ricciardo (Car 3, McLaren F1 Team) - DNF
P12 - Pierre Gasly (Car 10, Scuderia AlphaTauri) - DNF
P13 - Valtteri Bottas (Car 77, Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN) - DNF
P14 - Esteban Ocon (Car 31, Alpine-Renault) - DNF
P15 - Guanyu Zhou (Car 24, Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN) - DNF
P16 - George Russell (Car 63, Mercedes-AMG Petronas) - DNF
P17 - Kevin Magnussen (Car 20, Haas) - DNF
P18 - Carlos Sainz (Car 55, Scuderia Ferrari) - DNF
P19 - Lando Norris (Car 4, McLaren F1 Team) - DNF
P20 - Max Verstappen (Car 33, Oracle Red Bull Racing) - DNF

===***===

If you read this prologue, thank you for doing so, I hope you enjoyed it! Here's a little question: Once we get to Round 8, do you want me to write a chapter in which the Mane 7 watch the race and react to the immense crash?

And by the way, this story is inspired by Akula966's F1 story, so huge shoutout to him! Also, go check out his story, it's also pretty neat.