• Published 26th Feb 2022
  • 1,026 Views, 29 Comments

The Young Princess of Aurora - Changeling-Writer



The Northern kingdom of Aurora has always lived with the ideal of isolationism. However when the Queen of the quiet kingdom finally accepts an invite to the Grand galloping gala the princesses are left wondering what changed.

  • ...
2
 29
 1,026

Early Bird

The next morning was a blur, as soon as the sun broke over the horizon the castle was filled with attendants. Breakfast was a quick affair broken only by Raven looking flustered as she trotted into the room.

"Your Majesty's, Miss. Clef is unable to attend the gala, shall I send for a new cellist? Miss. Octavia Philharmonica is a promising young musician who wanted to attend." The earth pony spoke as she fixed her glasses.

For the Royal Pony Sisters the day only grew crazier. Soon there were questions being flung at speed, surrounding the alicorns with blurs of the help.

"Princess Celestia! Were running behind on the food. If the cooks stay overnight they will be able to finish before the Gala!"

"Please tell them that it would be very appreciated, call in the night staff as well." The waiter nodded as he vanished back into the crowd.

"Princess Luna, the decorations for the Northern gardens are almost finished. However the eastern gardens haven't yet to be started."

"Pull a dozen ponies to help. Mostly unicorns and pegasi, if I recall correctly, there mostly in the air."

Raven moved through the mob of questions before reaching the princesses, "Princess Celestia, all the rooms for the visiting dignitaries and Royal's have been prepared with spares for emergencies. All have full accomodations. Bathrooms, balconies, and double beds. Is that alright?"

"Thank you Raven, if you could assist with the Eastern gardens. Crackle should have a good idea of what she's doing, however help in any way you can."

"Princess Luna what are we doing with the-"

"Princesses!" The shout carried the authority of the stallion before the pair could see him. The crowd parted as Solar Flare moved through them. The captain of the royal guard was panting softly before he continued. "The Aurorian carriage has arrived! They have presented the Gala invitation and asking to entering the palace grounds!"

The muttering of the crowd washed over the room as surprise and confusion followed the captain's words. Luna broke from her stupor. "Queen Eventide is here? But it's a day early!"

"Your majesty, the guards are insistent that they be allowed in. What should I do?" Solar asked, putting emphasis on the foren guards' demand.

"Fetch for an Honor guard, have them clear the landing pad and ready for their arrival. Send for Blueblood and Cadence, tell them to hurry and meet us there. Thank you Solar," Celestia smiled at her caption before she began moving. The attendance moving out of her way as she addressed them all. "Excuse me, my little ponies, we must welcome them to Canterlot. Please detect all of your questions to are senechal. Raven will be in the East gardens, and Twilight velvet who is here."

At her words the off white unicorn mare stepped out from behind her sovrin princess Luna, nodding distractedly to the stallion she had been speaking to before. Her trio of purple stars clear. Her two tone mane almost hiding the attentive aquamarine eyes that moved up from her clipboard.

"I apologise once again but this matter must be attended to. Thank you for your patience and all the hard work you all have done so far. Let's be off sister." Luna smiled as she hugged her sister. Moving through the group. The silence was broken quickly as questions were flung at the lone unicorn. The sound fading as the Royal Sisters left the throne room.

"I must thank them, there early arrival has freed us of the countless questions. But Tia, have you any clue on why they have arrived so early?"

"No Luna, we will just have to ask. I just hope that Cadence and Blueblood will arrive in a timely fashion. First impressions are quite important."

Cadence arrived softly after, placated with the promise to explain everything on their arrival. As they reached their destination the nervous pacing of Blueblood was brought to a stop.

"Aunts! Is this about the Gala? I know I wasn't suppose to dedicate too much to my attire but-"

His words were cut off as Luna luna raised a hoof silencing the young royals before they could get further into derailing the conversation. They looked up at the lunar princess expectedly.

"Fret not my dears," luna spoke, a smirk pulling at her lips as she looked between the two young royals. "The Aurorian queen has just arrived ahead of schedule, and we expect you to be on your best behavior, is that understood?"

"But…" Blueblood looked confused, picking his next words carefully. His muzzle scrunching up in his contemplation. "Isn't that a fairytale kingdom or something?"

So isolated that you have fallen to myths and legends, my stars. "No dear nephew, I have no idea where you got that information but it is shamefully false. The Aurorian kingdom just prefers it's reclusive behavior over any alliance."

"... If that's so Auntie, Luna." Cadence began as she thought out loud, her wings shifting slightly. "Then why have they come to the Gala? Well that's what I presume there here for."

The sisters shared a small glance before Celestia answered her niece. "Yes Cadence, as for why we haven't the slightest idea." The Alabaster alicorn responded as eight guards moved onto the platform. The pair of thestrals moved to stand behind there lunar princess. Two solar guards behind Celestia. The aptly named love guard stood behind Cadence. And lastly the finally dressed unicorns behind Blueblood.

"We will find out soon enough," Luna spoke as she looked off into the distance. Squinting as she noticed the small specks approaching there destination.

The Equestrian royals stood from eldest to youngest, the honor guard standing at attention behind them. Facing the Castle gate and most importantly the approaching carriage.

Carriages

Carriages?!

The Equestrian royals looked on in bewilderment as the pair of carriages descended down onto the landing pad of the royal castle. Why was there Two carriages for one Queen?

The first coach touched down as the path, it's looks more along the lines of an Equestrian transport then that of a flying gold throne. Something the royals were far more familiar with.

The first was primarily made of dark blue material, with two windows on either side, there blinds closed to the outside world with almost black drapes. There borders gilded with golden swirls that danced over the coach, lining the doors. A third window settled into the wood behind the charioteers, presumably for ease of communication with their passengers. On the rear was only a luggage rack, a matching dark blue trunk with golden lining resting there.

It's four large wheels, much like cart wheels shared in the decoration. It's spokes carved and gilded with gold. Nothing was spared from the elegant swerling. From the roof to wheels. Even the door handles.

And emblazoned upon its doors was the Royal Crest of Arora.

Split into four quadrants, the fleur de lis bared in opposing quadrants. The six pointed stars, symbol of magic, dominated the others. The shield was lined in a bed of golden feather wings. Only broken by the two blue flags that marked it's current ruler.

A elegantly curled banner ran along the shield's point. Black script reading 'Magia aeterna’ A fitting name for a kingdom of magic. Or so Luna thought privately to herself.

The first carriage slid gracefully to a stop before the four royals, courtesy to the pair of pegasi; a mare and stallion. Both wearing golden armor etched with matching curving lines. It moved up their armor until it reached a full silver crown clasped to their heads. Then without a word together the guards moved, pulling the carriage further up the landing strip to make way for the second.

The second carriage was much like there first, however instead of the dark blue it was a deep Violet, the walls danced with silver rather than gold. It's charioteers a pegasi mare and to the Equestrian's surprise, especially Luna's, was a thestral stallion.

The Bat Ponies as some liked to call them was almost as reclusive as the Aurorian empire itself. Almost never seen outside of their villages and the night guard respectfully. So seeing one serving under a foren empire was a shock. There soul purpose was to serve under Luna, ganging the moniker 'Children of the Night'. Yet here he was.

There armor was decorated similarly to there golden counterparts, but included many more of what looked like intricate magical runes and enchantments bound into the steel plates. There armor silver, and likely made of steel. And rather than the dull silver crown clasp, the bore a pink starbursts that glinted in the early afternoon light. The carriage landed just short of the first. Nearly bumping into it's rear.

As one both sets of charioteers unhooked themselves from their saddles, moving to stand beside their passengers door. Awaiting orders as the Equestrian's stood taller. Determined to get answers.

At that moment the door opened, and from the blue carriage two ponies. A earth pony and a unicorn, stallion and a mare, joined their comrades by the doors. Their eyes narrowed and scanning for dangers as they stood at attention. Mouths pressed into thin lines as their eyes drifted over the Equestrian royals. The unicorn rather then having the same dull silver crown clasp had one made of crystal.

From the violet carriage two unicorns, a mare and stallion stepped out, falling into position. Horns glowing softly as their magic washed over the landing pad. Seeming to check for anything that they could not see themselves. It was with a nod to their golden counterparts that the all clear was given.

The smiles of the Prince and Princesses were tinted with more than a questioning expression as Queen Eventide stepped off of the first chariot, posing her head respectfully. Not overtly low, not wanting to prostrate herself to the Equestrian's, who returned the respectful bow in kind.

Queen Eventide was a tall mare, not as tall as Luna but she stood a head over Cadence, giving her the impression of royalty not usually held by mortal ponies. Her baby blue coat and eyes of the deepest aquamarine that held the grace and knowledge of her years. Her pail blue mane and tail striped with a pair of light pink and purple pulled back into a tight bun. A cutie mark of a white tiara with a large pink star as it's crown Jewel.

However her most notable feature was the dark blue swirls that ran up her legs over her stomach into her ears. Highlights danced alongside the darker swirls. The highlights were characteristics of all true Aurorians shared, for they were magic given by blood at birth.

Luna's eyes noticed the marking of the Queens guards, the dark markings all blunt, clear, and obvious. A mark telling of there allegiance.

The making of an Aurorian was not by the land they owned, the oaths they made, or by their wealth. It was in their markings that waxed and waned as their loyalty to the kingdom changed. Bending lines that moved up their dominant leg, ending before it could reach their barrel.

The swerling, and part of what made them so alluring was that it was only seen in royal blood. Earned as their faith and kingdom around them grew. As all of the Queens and kings married, and the princesses interacted with, however rarely, were always lacking outside of the direct line.

"Queen Eventide, it is a pleasure to have you attending this years Grand Galloping Gala." Celestia spoke her warm smile never falling, "however you seemed to have arrived far either than any of us expected. May I ask why, if you don't mind?" The alabaster alicorn inquired for the group.

Eventide stone mask never faltered from being indifferently polite as she answered. "Thank you for hosting us, and may sincerest apologies, we were expecting a storm but made it past without any trouble. Will there be any problem with are early arrival?"

Luna stepped into the conversation with her own question. "That won't be a problem, but my I inquire about the second carriage? Will we be expecting a dignitarie or perhaps a friend?" She asked

The Queens mask faltered, letting a single emotion through; pure confusion. Brows rising as a small smirk of bemusement found its way into her lips. "Of course not, my daughter desired to come with me this time, I presumed you would have known."

Celecria's jaw dropped but before she could find her words the pink alicorn found hers. "Daughter!?" She asked her eyes looking at the dark violet carriage, it's passenger still hidden away inside. "Y-you have a daughter?"

The Queens smile vanished back behind the indifferent mask once more. Yet even then she looked amused at their surprise. "Yes… where you not aware that I had an heir? I would have thought you informed."

"No, We haven't heard a…"

The alicorn fell silent as a violet hoof adorned with a silver horseshoe blacked against the cobbled stone. The dark violet swerling up her leg nearly black. Slowly followed by the smiling face of a unicorn. And wings.

They started, then Blueblood lost all of his courtly manners as he spoke.

"S-shes an Alicorn!?"