• Published 15th Sep 2012
  • 1,249 Views, 76 Comments

The Mark - dragonlover2864



Slenderpony's origins and cutie mark story

  • ...
1
 76
 1,249

Slendermane

I trotted along the forest, pausing to listen every now and then. I swore I heard something following me.

“Must just be the echo of my hoof steps against the trees.” I laughed nervously “Yeah just an echo..” I dared a peek behind me...

I squinted my eyes. Where those.. Eyes behind me? I squinted harder. They were. Peircing green eyes, with a hazy purple mist flowing from them.. I must be going insane: this creature had no body at all. Not a single color emanated from it. the only thing I saw were the eyes. Those eyes. They were hypnotizing. I found my self drawn to them. I was horrified, yes, but also entranced. The eyes had a magnetic effect to them, All I wanted was to look into them forever. I wanted to do as they saw fit, to do the bidding of the creature the eyes belonged to. Began to walk towards the beast and it’s magnificent eyes. I had to serve, I’d die if I didn’t. It was that simple.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

I counted my steps trying not to look nervous under the steady, menacing gaze. I knew in the back of my head that I should be running. I shouldn’t be here. I needed to leave. I stayed. I kept walking towards them the beast towered above me, seeming to rise up above me as I walked towards it. The eyes focused on me. I was so close to the creature. I could reach my hoof out and touch it. I didn’t. I felt that the worst would happen if I did.

I never broke eye contact. I held the gaze of these magnificent eyes. I stopped and just sat there, mystified by the beast. The more I stared the softer the eyes became, warmer and more inviting. The voice in the back of my head was slowly being silenced as I began to smile up at the creature. The eyes softened even more so, they were so calm, collected, and inviting. So welcoming and kind. I felt a kinship with the owner of the eyes. I’d do anything to stay with them forever.

I became more relaxed, calmer, I felt like just lying down, letting the darkness of the night enfold around me. I sat and stared. The voice in my head had long since been silenced. I have no idea how long I sat there like that. Must have been hours.

The eyes narrowed and focused hard on me. I felt like they were staring right through me, straight into my soul. A shiver ran through me, starting in my snout and ending in my tail. I slowly began to lose focus on the world around me, nothing mattered beyond this beast. Not a thing. The eyes grew more intense, the mist growing denser and darker.

In my peripheral I saw glint of silver gleam beneath the eyes. I didn’t know what it was, but it grew. I needed to look at what it was. I had to, the eyes bade me.

I was taken slightly aback. It was a silvery smile, kind and warm hearted. It was the last thing I expected to be there. The smile belonged to the creature. That was apparent. It had sharp fangs. I was in no way scared. It was kind smile, like that of a dog.

Still I couldn’t make out the creatures body.

“My young friend, whatever are you doing out by the forest in the middle of the night?” His voice was like honey, deep and steady, but with a slight lisp, much like a snakes. I quivered at his voice. He sounded so powerful, so calm, so amazing. I would do anything, he only need ask it of me.

I quickly regained my own steadiness. I bowed. “Sorry to have bothered you sir. I was walking back home. This was the shortest route. I am sorry to have disturbed you.”

“Oh, I am not disturbed, merely intrigued. I was watching you. You have so much.. Potential,” The way he said it, like I was the most magnificent thing he had ever seen, made the hairs on my back stand up. “Yes, potential.. Bright, cunning. You’d never stumble, stammer, stutter, or spurt out meaningless words. You are great,” he stated with a low hiss, “and your magic, it’s beyond powerful.”

“Thank you.” I nodded.

“Do not give thanks where it is not needed, my friend, I was merely stating your greatness, not paying you a compliment. Though I must admit, I like the way you think: You take facts and make the about you, boy. I like that.”

I nodded cursing myself for thinking he would compliment me. Me, a pathetic thoughtless, weak, unicorn. What did he mean powerful magic? That damned purple unicorn in Ponyville could do a couple thousand more magic tasks than I! Great and powerful? More like weak and useless.

I saw his smile broaden. “Powerful and great. Exactly who I need. I have a proposition for you my boy.”

“Anything for you.”

“Look deep into my eyes, see all that is great about, all that is powerful. Let the dark embrace you, welcome it into your broken heart. The darkness is your friend, there to do your bidding, if you so wish it. The darkness would never hurt not like those other pathetic ponies. That Sportstar and his little friends will never be able to touch you again, not when you’ve embraced the darkness. Never will fillies turn up their noses when you walk past them, they shall bow down to your glory, the glory that is Slendermane!” His speech intensified, growing into a dull roar. “Their almighty ruler. You shall have your pick of the mares, your pick of stallions to feed to the manticores, your pick of the finest foods, your own lovely castle so as to watch over all your soon to be new subjects. Those sad fools will have no clue what hit them as you and your new dark pet unleash your fury on them. They’ve brought it upon themselves!” He began to spin around me as I sat there caught up in his wonderful voice, his knowledge, his righteousness. “Join me! For I am the darkness! Embrace us and we shall rule them all!!”

I had only just began to say yes as it hit me. The creature whirling around me did have a form. I could see it now. His beautiful form. It was the darkness. That was the color he radiated. Darkness, beautiful darkness. And it had surrounded me. I’d never felt so welcome’d, so wanted, like some one actually cared. And it felt glorious.

He slowed and hissed into my ear “together, we are unstoppable.”

“Together, we shall make them pay.”I laughed as I said it. The darkness unfolding like a giant pair of wings from the beast. It swooped down and embraced me, swathing me in a warm cloak.

I kicked out, screaming, the scar on my chest burning. My horn turned black and a powerful black lightning streak bolted from my horn. My hips burned, my chest burned, my head was pounding. I was losing ever ounce of sanity. He watched me, my new mentor, my teacher, as I writhed in pain under his gaze. He sat back, straight faced the smile gone from his face. He watched as I lost myself. I held no grudge, this was the first step, i was convinced, to becoming powerful. Pain. So I laughed. I laughed it all away, giggled at the pain and nearly died laughing. He smiled knowing I had embraced the darkness. That I had embraced him also. But one thing he had said, amongst the rest, had really stuck, emblazoned upon my brain, one thing that had me thunderstruck. A name. My name.

Slendermane.

Author's Note:

Sorry for such a late chapter. This is in no way near the end of the story. If anything, it's only the beginning.