• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 605 Views, 11 Comments

The Nightblade - There Is Nothing Here



One of Celestia's assassins is framed for murder and is hunted down by a corruption within the guar

  • ...
 11
 605

The Blood of Equestria

Varkil swung his axe with extreme force at Midnight's throat. Should it strike, it would instantly decapitate the assassin.
Although Midnight was chained up, he still had enough room to move around a bit. He moved his head to the left, out of the way of Varkil's battleaxe.

The axe struck the chain binding Midnight's front left leg. He then proceeded to knock Varkil off his feet and the axe fell to the floor. Guards instantly piled on to Midnight in an attempt to get him under control. Midnight used his free leg and grabbed his blade out of its case, that was strapped to his side.

He swung his knife towards one of the guards, who ducked under his strike. The guards slowly brought Midnight down. Before they had him completely down, Midnight threw his knife straight into the air. It plummeted down and pierced the skull of one of the guards. While the other guards looked in horror as one of their comrades was shaking vigorously, barely holding on for life with the knife buried deep in his skull.

Midnight wrapped the chain from his front right leg around another on of the guards and began to choke him. In an effort to save his life, he pulled out his key and open the lock on the hook that was holding Midnight. As the ponies brawled each other Princess Celestia simply sat back and watched the slaughtering. She knew Midnight's potential, and she knew that the guards wouldn't hold him very long. She looked at Varkil who was still recovering from the blow Midnight delivered to him. Midnight had no intentions of hurting Varkil, but it was either that or die.

Only 4 guards remained attacking Midnight. One was dead and the other was choking on the floor attempting to get the chain off his throat, however the chain was still attached to the cuff on Midnight's leg so Midnight continued pulling the leg back to keep choking him. After a few seconds the guard grew silent and stopped moving. The black stallion continued dodging the guard's attacks and jabbing at them whenever he could. He couldn't wrap a chain around them because they were on his back legs and his knife was still lodged in the other guards skull.

The guards momentarily backed off of Midnight to catch their breath. One of the reached for Midnight's blade to use it against him. The guard lunged at Midnight aiming for his throat. Midnight jumped backwards. The blade got stuck in between the links of the chain and Midnight shook the chain and the blade went flying. He twirled around in mid air and wrapped both chains around the guard as he ascended. The chain tightened and Midnight was pulled down back towards the ground. When he landed the other 3 guards lunged at the black stallion, showing no care to their comrade was was being strangled to death. Midnight attempted to tighten the chains around the other guard on the floor so he would choke to death.

Varkil then got back up. He attempted to run away from the scene. Celestia turned her head and saw Varkil attempting to escape. She used a spell and pulled him back over towards him. She looked Varkil straight into his eyes.

"I thought you were loyal to me Varkil. I guess I was wrong."

Celestia's eyes grew a bright red and a beam shot out and entered Varkil's pupils.

"Now go. Finish him."

Varkil picked up his axe, and walked towards Midnight. The other guards backed away as Varkil approached. He swing his axe at Midnight, aiming to decapitate him. Midnight ducked under the axe and as soon as the blade was over his head, he swung his hoof up and sent the axe flying. The head of the axe struck two of the guards, instantly slaughtering them both. The axe hit the wall and was lodged inside of it. The floor was soaked with the blood of the 4 dead guards. The white stone floor had turned a dark red, stained with the blood of the once noble protectors of Celestia.

Midnight struggled to get free, but his strength alone wouldn't tear the last two chains binding him. Varkil stopped in front of the black stallion.

"Varkil. Don't do this!"

Varkil didn't reply. He just stared at Midnight, his eyes now glowing a bright red. He raised the axe, preparing to finish off Midnight. The assassin began to pull on his chains even harder, when the last guard came up behind him and restrained him.

"Varkil. Finish him now."

Midnight turned around and looked at the demented guard.

"If that axe strikes it'll kill us both! Do you have so little value for your own life!"

"I shall die to serve my lord."

Midnight was silent. This guard was beyond the point of no return, he had gone mad, like all the rest.

Varkil swung his axe towards the assassin. Midnight, with his two front hooves, flipped the guard behind him into the way of the axe. The axe hit the guard, ripping him in two. Midnight then leaned back and fell backwards onto his back, avoiding the strike. The force from the swing forced the axe out of Varkil's and he took a tumbling spiral to the ground. Close enough, that Midnight could reach him.

"Sorry about this Varkil."

He picked up the stunned warlord and held his front legs tight around his throat.

Celestia began to laugh as she looked at the corpses of her elite guard, all taken down by one pony.

"What's so damn funny!"

Midnight himself had started to go mad. Everything he had once known was ripped from his control and had melted away at the hands of this tyrant. This wasn't the Princess he knew, this ruler, she was evil, composed of pure dark sin and hatred.

The Princess stopped laughing. She stepped close to Midnight.

"Get back, at this point I'm not afraid to break his neck."

Celestia grinned.

"So, do it."

Midnight felt the sweat dripping from his forehead as he held one of his comrades in his grasp. Varkil began screeching and uttering loud bloodcurdling noises. Blood began dripping out of the corner of his mouth.

"Finish him Midnight! End his life now!"

Midnight shut his eyes and looked down at the floor. His muscles strained and then slowly retracted. He dropped Varkil to the floor, and set his two front legs down. The warlord crawled away from the black stallion, and picked up his axe.

"You're weak Midnight! You could have killed him, taken his key and have been free! You had freedom within your grasp and you let it go! Because you showed mercy. Well, I'll be certain Varkil doesn't show you the same courtesy!"

Varkil walked over to Midnight again. He stood just a few inches away from the assassin and looked straight into his eyes. Midnight looked into his friends eyes, and no longer saw the once honorable warrior, instead he saw nothing but darkness. The darkness that now ran Equestria.

"Goodbye Midnight."

Midnight broke his gaze at Varkil, and looked into Celestia's eyes.

"Burn in hell bitch."

Varkil picked up his axe and swung it at Midnight. He closed his eyes and waited for his demise, for his freedom, from this wretched world.