• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 605 Views, 11 Comments

The Nightblade - There Is Nothing Here



One of Celestia's assassins is framed for murder and is hunted down by a corruption within the guar

  • ...
 11
 605

Tyranny

"NOOOOO!!!"

Midnight swung his blade towards the helpless thief.

He looked down at his blade. No blood. He had struck that ground next to the thief. He lifted his blade, and saw the crack he had made in the cobblestone road. He turned around and looked at Princess Celestia.

"Thalma..."

"Yes Princess Celestia?"

"Bring him to Varkil."

"Yes Princess."

Thalma walked over to the thief. He was still shaking in fear.

"Get up!"

The thief didn't move.

"I said get up!"

Thalma's horn began to glow and she picked up the thief and stood him up. She began leading him towards the castle. Princess Celestia stepped towards Midnight. She stared at him in disgust.

After a few minutes Celestia turned around and walked towards the castle. Talon walked towards Midnight and put his hoof on the assassin. Midnight jerked himself away and ran towards his house.

The citizens of Canterlot continued on with their days surprised that Midnight had shown mercy. But they were even more shocked at Princess Celestia's attitude, what was happening to their ruler?


The following days became worse as they dragged on. It seemed as if all life had been sucked out of Canterlot. The sun was high in the sky but the darkness of Equestria's new tyrant had set everyone moods spiraling into a dark pit of despair. No matter how hot the day was, every pony felt only the cold chill of death. Even Thalma, who had agreed with Celestia's new and cruel methods was beginning to break. Celestia became crueler and more vicious by the day.

One night a small group of citizens had tried to escape but were stopped by Varkil's elite guard, Celestia had them under her control and Varkil had no control anymore. None of the council members did anymore. Midnight was no longer head assassin, Talon was stripped of his weather controlling duties, Celestia had even rejected Thalma as her main adviser. While Varkil no longer controlled his army, he was now forced to do all the executions in Canterlot, since Midnight had already shown mercy once.

Celestia was turning into something more evil than what Princess Luna was aiming for, Celestia herself and brought the darkness she predicted over Equestria. Even smaller towns away from Canterlot began to feel her influence. Guards were sent to every major settlement to maintain "balance" as Celestia called it. Nothing entered the cities, and nothing left. Food became a shortage after ponies could no longer reach the food outside of the city boundaries. But none of this concerned Celestia, she just watched as her kingdom slowly crumbled. Something was causing this, or some one.


One day almost a month after Luna was banished, Midnight was roaming the streets of Canterlot, when he was spotted by Thalma in the streets. She approached him slowly.

"Midnight... I just wanted, I want to apologize for everything I've said. Celestia's gone mad, I'll admit it."

The former assassin stood silent.

"I hate to admit it, but I need your help. We need to stand up to Celestia. Me, you, Talon and Varkil. Together, we might have a chance against Celestia."

"You know the saying, the enemy of my enemy is my friend?"

"Yes. Yes I do."

"Well, the enemy of my enemy, is still my enemy."

Midnight spat on the ground near Thalma's hooves and walked away.

"What the hell is wrong with you Midnight! Look at what Celestia's done to our home! She's destroyed everything we protected all our lives!"

Midnight stopped. He turned around and faced the mare.

"We? WE!? You! Never did anything! You sat by the Princesses side living a luxurious life while I was out defending this land from criminals, while Varkil risked his life defending us from any potential threats, while Talon risked his life by flying into the clouds and keeping us safe from natural disasters. All you did was manipulate the princess in any way you could to make this world more suitable for you!"

Thalma was speechless, Midnight wasn't lying.

"But Midnight, I've changed, I've seen what the Princess is doing and it needs to stop. You know she does, don't you care about anything."

"I used to fight and defend this land because it was an honorable thing to do. But now, it has been overcome from tyranny, even if we were to stand up to Celestia we would either die or defeat her, but then what! None of us can lead this world towards greatness! I've given up hope, because there is no hope. We would have been better off with Luna in charge. Let darkness have it's claim over this world, watch how much I care."

Midnight walked away.

"What about Talon! What about Varkil! They're suffering from this too! We need your help and maybe we can end the suffering."

Midnight didn't respond, he continued to walk.


Night had fallen, and Midnight began his trek home. As he reached the front door, he noticed a piece of paper lodged under it.

Midnight meet me tomorrow night, under the castle bridge, it is urgent that I see you.

-Talon-

Midnight read the words on the letter, and entered his house.


The next day, the black stallion exited his front door. He looked at the destroyed city that was once the beautiful prospering city of Canterlot. The cobblestone streets had been torn up, the fountain in town square had stopped spraying water. The remainder of the buildings that weren't completely destroyed had most of their windows shattered and most of their possessions stripped by bandits. Ponies were dying nearly every day due to hunger, thirst, and executions. The population of Canterlot had dropped from 100,000 to 22,000. More than 3/4 of the city was dead, and Celestia, sat on her throne, and watched.

Although Midnight had lost all hope for the revival of Equestria, he wanted nothing more than to have Celestia's head on his blade. The Princess he once served honorably, had now become the most powerful tyrant any world would ever see. He walked down the streets and observed the dying and weak civilians, while Celestia's royal guard ate and relaxed like kings in the castle. Those that tried to resist were either killed or were put into a trance by Celestia to serve her.

Thoughts raged in Midnight's head. After a good long hour of letting the rage build up inside of him, he decided that tonight, he was going to take the biggest risk of all time. He was going to assassinate, Princess Celestia. He knew Equestria wouldn't be saved, but he didn't want the world to die at the hands of a tyrant, if the world was going to die, Celestia was going to die with it.

After some reconsideration, the assassin decided to wait awhile, Talon had requested to speak with him. He would see what he had to say and maybe they could come up with a plan together. Talon was very agile and could be a valuable asset to his plan. Varkil was too headstrong and could jeopardize the plan and he still didn't trust Thalma. So that was it, he would wait to speak to Talon and then, he would make his move on Celestia.


That night, Midnight waited underneath the castle bridge for Talon to arrive. Minutes later he heard the silent flapping of wings as a shadowy figure descended to his side.

"Midnight."

"What do you want Talon."

"Thalma came to me yesterday, she said you had given up and that you won't stand up to Celestia."

"I have given up. I won't stand up to Celestia, I have other plans."

"What do you mean by other plans?"

Midnight didn't speak. Instead he just stared at Talon. But Talon knew what he was thinking, just from the look in his eyes. Talon had seen Midnight be furious before, and he watched as that fury was what fueled Midnight to kill his targets. Although Midnight tried not to kill his targets, when he was going to kill, he, was going, to kill. And Talon knew he was set on doing this.

"You can't be serious Midnight."

"Why wouldn't I be. I mean admit it, confronting Celestia would be suicide."

"Well what makes you think you can sneak up on her, her guards are constantly around her, you would be able to get close!"

"That's why I need your help. Your help and your help only."

"Why me?"

"You're a pegasus, quick, agile, quiet. You can create a quick distraction and I can easily jump in and take her out."

"You're insane Midnight."

"If Equestria is going to die, the tyrant is going to die with it. "

Talon stood silent for a moment. Finally he replied.

"Ok, I'll help you. What's the plan?"

"Tomorrow during any time of the day, when Celestia exits the castle, you need to drag a storm cloud over Equestria. Aim the lightning directly in front of Celestia's guards. It will surprise them and in that same second, I'll finish her. And most important, don't tell Thalma or Varkil, they could jeopardize the plan."

As Talon opened his mouth to speak, Midnight noticed a small shadow out of the corner of his eye. It lunged directly at the two ponies.

"Talon!"

The pegasus turned around, but the shadowy figure, in midair, sliced open the pegasus's back and knocked him to the ground, before he even had a chance to react.

Before Midnight could launch a counter-attack, the rogue assassin made an attempt at him as well. The black coated stallion reached for his blade, only to discover his case was empty. Midnight's attacker unleashed a flurry of strikes at him. Midnight, in defense struck his attacker and stunned them. He grabbed the rogue pony by the throat and began choking them. Just as he felt his attackers life slipping away, he heard noises in the distance. It sounded like a group of ponies, guards to be exact. Midnight looked behind him and his attacker broke free.

The rogue pony shoved the knife into Midnight's possession and dashed off. He looked down at the blade, and he noticed the small crescent blade inscribed on the handle, this was his blade. Midnight was left alone, with Talon's mangled body lying beside him.

The guards came down into the pit beneath the bridge and saw Midnight, and then Talon. Midnight made an attempt to escape but there were too many guards and they were entirely too fast. They grabbed hold of Midnight and dragged him towards the castle.


Midnight was brought before Celestia's throne, where she stood, with a furious look on her face. Never before had Midnight seen such anger in the Princess.

"Midnight!"

Her voice was so loud, that some of the guards actually fell backwards.

"Even as Equestria is in a state of such suffering, you still felt the need to murder an innocent pegasus."

What was wrong with her! Was she oblivious to the fact that she had caused all this? That she was the cause of the death of thousands of innocent ponies a day! But, protesting against her would do no good. Celestia had gone mad, beyond the point of return, and she wouldn't listen to reason.

"Varkil!"

Varkil stepped forward.

"Fetch your battleaxe."

"Yes my lord."

Varkil slowly walked towards the armory.

"Hurry up!" Celestia demanded.

Varkil returned with his large red and silver battleaxe. It was drenched in the blood of executed ponies, it was no longer an honorable weapon, but rather a tool of merciless destruction.

"Bring Midnight to the basement! And make sure he is... taken care of."

The guards brought Midnight down into the basement and laid him down on the floor and chained him up. Varkil stood directly in front of him. A tear dripped out of his right eye as he whispered something.

"I'm sorry Midnight... But this is the end."

He swung the axe full force at Midnight's head.

"No, not like this. Never. It can't end. Not without vengeance. Not without justice. Not without... revenge."