• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 3,961 Views, 60 Comments

my little supernatural - thepinkparty



When the Winchesters have nowhere else to go, Dean asks for Castiels help

  • ...
5
 60
 3,961

zecroa

knew it. I knew it was only a matter of time. Sam I told you!" Twilight started hyperventilating as she dropped the book. "First it was the kidnappings, then the murder, and now a madpony from long ago confirms my worst fears."

"Don't worry about this, if half the prophecies I heard before were true the world would've ended at least six different times by now."

"It's gonna be seven by the time we get back." Dean said. "There's a specific date on that calendar too, I'll give you two guesses."

"Nightmare Night?"

Dean nodded and Twilight became even more frantic. "Nightmare Night! That's less than than a week away! What are we going to do!?"

"You know this does put us against a deadline."

"So what? We'll get the Elements of Harmony off Celestia tonight and rocket her sister's ass back to the moon. Sunrise, Sunset."

"Even if it were that easy we're still not sure it's Luna."

"Well, if it's not her I'm sure Sparkle Jam here can just free her again. You can do that right?"

Twilight stopped pacing just enough to answer. "I'm not sure. The Elements were meant to be used in times of distress, I'm not even sure we can use them to imprison Luna just from suspicion."

"Great. Now you tell me. What about the princess? Can't she boot her ass back to space?" Dean turned to his brother. "I'm just saying we got leverage on one of them. Why not use it?"

"And what about Trixie? How do we know that she isn't the one behind this and framing the princess?"

"Then we'll banish the both of them. Clean slate."

"Dean don't you even want to look into this?"

"I already have. I've looked into it way too much and now look where we are."

Twilight stopped pacing again, this time for good. She feared one of them would reprise their fight from earlier. Though she half-expected it would be Dean to start it up. Sam took caution and rubbed his chin with his hoof.

"Hey, Twilight try reading that story from the beginning and see if we can't use any of it. Dean can I talk to you for a second?" Sam and Dean marched a ways off as a wary Twilight looked out at them from the corner of her eye.

"Alright, Sammy now what? If we can swing this we can go home a lot faster and I'm positive that princess is our only way out of here."

"Dean we agree that we know more about this than Twilight right?"

"Yeah."

"We know that more likely than not Princess Luna will bring about the pony Armageddon right?"

"Right now I'm rootin' for her."

"Okay, good. We need Twilight to help us get rid of her, and the fastest way we can do that and spare everyone anymore trouble is if we rush her into it right?"

"You mind getting to the point?"

"In this world Dean we're like the angels. We know the end is coming and we want to get the job done quick, at least you do. And Twilight is like us, she might not realize it yet, but she doesn't want to go our way. Sound familiar?"

Dean stood speechless for a while. The only hint that he gave that he was mulling this over was a flicker of his ear, though unintentional. He looked back at Twilight who turned around quickly and frantically flipped through the pages of the ragged book.

"Dean, all I'm saying is that maybe we should give her the same chance we're asking from the angels."

Again Dean took his time to think until finally he let out an audible discontent sigh and said, "Damn it. Fine, Sam, you win. Just because I don't want to be like those assholes."

Sam smiled.

"Great. You want to break the good news?" Dean rolled his eyes and walked towards Twilight.

"Hey, Twilight." Twilight turned guardedly.

"Yes?"

"We've decided to go another way. If we can stop Luna the Witch Queen without using the elements we'll do it."

"What do you mean?"

"Listen I know from first hand experience the quickest answer isn't always the one we're looking for. Maybe we can find some other way stop her."

Twilight seemed confused at first but then her eyes lit up.

"You mean you found a way to save Princess Luna without banishing her?"

"I didn't say that. But I did say if we can find another way to win this fight we'll try it."

"Thank you-thank you-thank-you!" Twilight repeated as she jumped to hug Dean. "I knew you were the right ponies for the job! I'll do anything to keep the princess safe! Even if it means working with Trixie."

She let go of Dean.

"Maybe we should pay her a visit right now. If she knows this much about the prophecy she must know something else. Thank you again Sam and Dean, or should I call you by your nicknames?"

"Dean's fine."

Twilight smiled one more time before leaving the library, taking the book with her. Dean shook his head when she was gone.

"What?"

"Twilight, is supposed to be like us?" Sam looked confused. "If anything she's more like you."

"What?"

"You're both bookworms, eggheads, dorks."

Sam didn't like being compared to a dorky purple unicorn pony. "Well, if I'm like Twilight...You're like Princess Luna."

"What the hell-"

"Guys come on. I thought you were right behind me the whole time!"

"Shhhhhh!" The librarian pony shushed.

"Oops, sorry." She made a motion for them to follow her.

"Come on we better get going." Sam galloped away.

"Hold up." Dean said keeping pace with him. "How am I anything like that princess?"

"You both caught ghost sickness."

"So?"

"So that's all I need. Besides, I bet you scream like her too."

…...

Meanwhile back in Ponyville the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Spike were headed along a path into the Everfree forest. However, while the girls were chatting excitedly Spike couldn't help but feel a bit apprehensive at the sight of the darkened oaks and willows that grew around the entrance of the forest. His stomach growled and felt bloated. He felt sleepy but at the same time he couldn't sleep.

"I think I overdid it with the coffee."

"Come on, Spike. I bet Zecora will fix ya up. Just like she fixed my chipped tooth."

Spike felt a deep rumble in his stomach. 'No, please.' he thought to himself as he felt the rumbling die down. "Phew."

When he looked back up the girls had already crossed the threshold into the forest and were being swallowed by the darkness. It was make it or break it time and he didn't want to seem like a chicken in front of them, so he swallowed hard and forced his way into the forest.

Deeper in the forest a cowled zebra was just breaking through a clearing when she noticed three pairs of glowing green eyes in the darkness beyond. She whisked her staff from off her back and held it in front of her ready to defend. Two of the pairs separated from and flanked her on either side. They moved swiftly, almost ghostlike, through the undergrowth hardly making a sound but for their soft growling.

Zecora removed her hood so it wouldn't impede her peripheral vision and procured a small bag. Before they could make their next move she threw it on the floor, bursting with a bright green flash it creates a thick green cloud. Once it settled Zecora was backed by two doppelgangers, each of which wielding a staff of its own. The timber wolves step out from under the shadows and start circling her, trying to decide which of the them was their real quarry.

The apparent leader barked out a command and all three wolves pounce on the three zebras only dig their snouts into the ground. The two lesser wolves started snapping at each other for their incompetence when the leader overtook them. Whining, they started sniffing the floor looking for her scent. It didn't take long before they bound after her.

Zecora ran as fast as her legs could carry her, treading around various poisonous plants and hoping the wolves giving chase would be stupid enough to stomp through them in their eagerness. Unfortunately even with the thirty second head start the wolves were now on her heels, and they too seemed to have knowledge of the local flora. They followed her exact trail through the forest, which upset her even more as they had done so with more ease than she had.

It wasn't long before one of the wolves matched her pace and was running alongside her through a thicket of bramble. But she knew once that stretched ended she would have to...and she did. The wolf leapt through the last few bushes to get at her, paws outstretched and jaws wide, but she tucked and rolled beneath his attack. It slammed into a solid oak tree and she took pleasure in hearing it whine. It meant he was hurt, and wouldn't be joining the chase again anytime soon.

Zecora knew this part of the wood too and so she turned left and headed toward a bat cave she often visited to collect guano. It had a small stream running through it that was birthed from a spring running down into the cave. She would approach it from the side, where the earth gave way easily. Expecting this she jumped and slid on her flank down the slope before continuing into the cave itself, behind her the wolves tumbled into a confusing muddy heap. Growling in anger the subordinate frees itself faster from the trap and chases after her in the pitch black cave.

Bats flutter around his face and clutter his sight with visages of grey and black shapes. All the while he knows he's on the right path as he hears her hooves splashing in the stream ahead. Suddenly he is blinded by a bright light at the end of the tunnel, against which is the visible silhouette of the Zebra. It disappears into the light and he bounds ever harder after it not wanting to give it any breathing room.

He is certain of his footing as he bursts out into the sunlight and drops off into space. The cave opened out into a steep hill, nearly vertical. Zecora had taken care to step lightly and rather than continue running paused by the mouth of the cave to watch this next one take the plunge, literally. It tumbled down the hill and smacked against a large rock here and there, knocking off a limb or two at some points, leaving behind a trail of sappy blood that oozed over the terrain.

Zecora had wanted to see the second wolf tumble after her, but she heard its pace slow from within the cave, and soon heard the cautious sniffing that forewarned her this one would not be so easy to fool. She made her dangerous trek up the hill, knowing fully a clawed toe would have more of a footing than a smooth hoof.

She just made it to the top when the beast lurched after her and nearly nipped her tail off. It was in vain however and it slid back down several feet. Zecora made a move to reenter the forest hoping to lose it in the brush. Her hooves pounding again on flat ground, she thought she would just about make it when the first wolf pounced from the unknown and made for her neck. She had enough time to pull out her staff but not much else, what was meant to be an attack instead blocked the jaws from closing. Though she was knocked on her back she was confident she would be able to break free.

This wolf seemed to be young, its teeth and claws were very sharp but it did not yet know how to use them properly. His body was thin and lightly built, and though his jaws were very wide they still smelled of puppy breath. A treacherous scent of wild flowers and morning dew. Just as she was preparing to push him off her another head appeared at the top of her line of sight. The second more mature wolf had finally reached her.

It snarled but before anything else could happen a strange wind blew. Strong enough to make the old boughs on the ancient trees shudder and creak. The wolves were taken aback from this and even Zecora, who was strangely allowed to stand. From somewhere above them an evil laugh carried itself in the wind. Suddenly the forest burst alive as the rocking of the trees grew more violent, an earthquake, and the birds and rodents hidden in the underbrush leapt into view.

It was nearly impossible that such a host of creatures would occupy the forest, but they did, and they ran. The cause of such a disturbance was unknown but it was great enough to instill fear in the wolves and Zecora as they joined the stampede. The earthquake seemed to grow in intensity as she ran, or stumbled, and for a moment it crossed her mind that perhaps she was running toward the epicenter of it all. But no, animals ran away from danger, and these were scared out of their wits.

A bright light destroyed all manner of shadow in the forest, making it seem less terrifying than it really was. But then the light grew too bright, the heat too intense, and then all was quiet. She had gone deaf, her limp body flying through the air grazing the highest branches from which all leaves seemed to have been stripped. Then darkness, as she felt a tremendous weight slam her back down to the ground, she continued to feel the ground rumble in her dreams.

…...

Miles away the spectacle was not caught by the ponies as it descended against the sunset. Besides the ponies in Canterlot were all excited as a celebration was being organized for the evening tying in with the Nightmare Night festival. Sparklers and other small fireworks were already being sold in the shops, being bought by both the young and young at heart. Even if their spouses disapproved they were easily won over when they lit a few of their own.

Streamers were being hung, paper lamps, and banners all decorating Mane Street. All of this Pinkie observed from the windows in the palace ballroom, her eyes gleaming with delight at the prospect of the entire city celebrating this occasion. She bounded away happy as can be as she turned her attention to the activity around her. She liked Princess Celestia's definition of a small soiree.

"Hey did you guys hear that?" Sam stopped short of the hallway which led down to Luna's bedroom.

"Hear what?" Dean frowned, worried something was about to happen. But Sam only shook his head and continued following Twilight who didn't seem to slow down. Rounding the corner they found two guards posted outside Luna's bedroom who promptly raised their spears at the sight of Dean.

"Halt. You are not allowed on these premises."

"Excuse me, Sirs?"

"No one is to disturb the princess by order of her assistant."

"Trixie? Why does she have you guarding her?"

"The princess is resting and the apprentice did not wish anypony to disturb her again."

"Oh. Do you know where she is?"

Down in the garden Trixie was busy among the herbs that grew at the edge of the perfectly trimmed forest. She had just pulled up an herb with a yellow flower when Applejack and Fluttershy came up behind her.

"Say Trixie, ya do know that there's an onion there, right?"

Trixie's eyes grew wide but she kept her voice level. "But of course, you didn't think I was simply pulling out weeds did you?"

"Well, no."
"I'm looking for herbs to create a curative tea for the princess. Though I must admit some of these plants are unfamiliar to me."

Now it was Applejack's turn to be surprised. Trixie admitting that she didn't know something? That was a big change from the first time she saw her.

"Well, if ya reckon ya need any help ya might want to look at that there lily. Looks just like the one Granny Smith uses for body aches and such."

Trixie looked to her right and found the flower. "It is the mark of my desperation to help the princess that I take advice from you."

'Well at least she isn't a know it all anymore' Applejack thought.

"Now unless you know which plants cure Fever, hallucinations, nausea, migraines, or stomach aches, I must ask you to leave."

"Humph, some ponies. Come on Fluttershy."

"Actually Applejack, I know what cures all those things."

"You do?" Applejack and Trixie spoke together.

"Um, yes. All kinds of animals come to me when they're sick and I always use herbs from the Everfree forest to cure them."

Trixie grimaced in her direction before returning to her work. "Very well." She put simply. Applejack leaned over to Fluttershy and whispered, "I think that's all we're gonna get."

Fluttershy walked over to her and asked if she could use her help.

"I do not require your help. But if you wish to lend your aid to cease the princess's suffering you are more than welcome."

Applejack urged Fluttershy on by my nodding her head and rolling her in Trixie's direction. Taking the hint Fluttershy floated into the air and picked some moss off the branch directly over Trixie's head. She was about to explain what kind of moss it was when the Twilight and the brothers galloped up behind them.

"Trixie!" Twilight was as surprised as she was at the amount of enthusiasm in her voice. Twilight smiled in spite of herself as she stopped just short of her while she caught her breath. Sam and Dean were coming up to join her when Fluttershy flew in front of them, blocking their path.

"Where do you two think you're going?"

"Not this again." Dean sighed.

"Yes this again. You two aren't going anywhere until I hear both of you apologize to each other for that ruckus earlier."

"We already did, um, Fluttershy. We're all good now." Sam smiled convincingly.

"I want to hear you. Right here and now."

"We don't have time for this." Dean said containing himself, but Fluttershy got in his face insisting they apologize to each other in front of her.

"I know you're parents brought you up better than this, and just think how your poor mother would be in tears right now. And your father would have every right to give you a stern talking to."

Dean breathed in very deeply and got a wild look in his eye. He looked around trying to make sense of what this pony had just said to him. He was truly trying not to yell at this animal because she didn't know, but he also wanted to rub her nose in it.

Before this could escalate to anything though Applejack quickly said, "Fluttershy can I talk to you?" and yanked her by the tail, Fluttershy squealed. Leading her away from the small group Applejack started to fill Fluttershy in as she regained her composure.

"Fluttershy ya can't just go talkin about these boys' parents anymore."

"Why not?" She asked in an innocent voice.

"Uh, how do I put this?" Applejack tried finding the right words. When she spoke it was in a somber voice. "Ya know how a few years back our orchard lost two good apples?"

Fluttershy was shocked and covered her mouth with her hoof.

"Applejack I'm so sorry."

"It's alright." Applejack said, though she had removed her hat when she told her and just now replaced it. "Well, now ya see Fluttershy, for a couple of months after that I couldn't stand to hear no one talk about them. Why sometimes I got so frustrated I just plum went loco. Ya understand what I'm saying here Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy thought for a moment and then she came to the horrific realization and gasped putting both hooves up to her mouth this time.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Applejack nodded her head. "Oh, but Applejack are you sure about this?"

"I can recognize that look anywhere. Puffy cheeks, wild eyes, twitchin', those are all the signs that someone is fed up with ya and won't take much more of what you're sayin."

"Oh, dear. I just feel so awful." Fluttershy started tearing up.

"Now, calm down sugarpie. You had no way of knowin. I'm sure they'll forgive ya if we just talk this over, 'course they may not want to talk about this so it might be best if we just drop this whole thing."

Fluttershy sniffed one last time before nodding and giving Applejack a mousy teary faced smile. "Alright now, let's get back and hope he's all calm again."

While Applejack and Fluttershy were talking in private Sam and Dean had their own little pow-wow. Which mainly consisted of Sam saying "Dude" and Dean replying with "Shut it," and just like that they settled the matter. When the girls came back Twilight was explaining to Trixie all of their latest findings. Applejack stood in between Fluttershy and Dean, but it wasn't for Fluttershy's safety. By the time that Twilight was catching up to the current events Fluttershy was staring long-fully at Dean, who during the entire time pretended not to notice her until he couldn't help himself.

"What?" He asked with an aggravated tone. Applejack knew the time had come but was unprepared for Fluttershy's burst of speed. She was left confounded as Fluttershy leapt over to Dean and hugged him.

"Oh, you poor thing! I'm so sorry for all those mean hurtful things I said!" She cried out. Dean got a look on his face that was a cross somewhere between horror and confusion.

"What the hell is this!?"

"Sorry pardner, I had to tell Fluttershy 'bout your secret."

"What?"
"I know from experience." Applejack looked away and Dean understood what she was saying.

"Then tell her to get off!"

"No can do. Fluttershy won't let go 'til she's good and ready."

Dean tried to pry her arms off of him when he caught sight of his brother.

"It's okay, Fluttershy. I'm fine, really." Dean looked down at her with a smile, one that she reflected poorly but sincerely. "But my brother, he's a total mess."

"What?" Sam's blood ran cold.

"You know he was only six months old and never even got to know our mom." Fluttershy let out another cry as she left Dean and wrapped her arms around Sam.

"Damn it, Dean." Sam managed to utter.

"So if there's any other way you can help us we'd greatly appreciate it." Twilight said anxiously.

"Twilight I am would to help you in any way I can, but I refuse to work with anyone who would hire thugs who take advantage of the princess's hospitality and muscle their way into her room."

Twilight was taken aback by this latest accusation. What thugs did she hire? Sam and Twilight arrived at the same conclusion together and turned to look at Dean, who whistling an innocent tune.

"Dean?" Sam was barely audible.

"I was pissed off what do you want me to say?" Dean was quick to defend himself. "I walked out into the garden to wash the blood off and cool down a bit. I figured maybe getting back on the job would get my mind off that damn singing so..."

"So he burst into the Princess Luna's room and ransacked the place!"

"Dean!" This time it was Twilight who implored an explanation.

"Besides, ransacked is a pretty hard word. I just tossed some books on the floor, picked through the garbage can a bit, and maybe took a few pages off that easel. Y'know for the constellations."

"You also threaten to burn down the entire castle if I didn't read you the side note in that tattered old journal."

"Is that how you learned about Horseshoe Jack?" Sam asked finally getting Fluttershy to release her iron grip.

"She made a mention at how crazy I was acting so I took a chance. On the way to the library I found Rainbow Dash flying low and asked her to keep an eye out for the constellations Luna had arranged."

"What do constellations have to do with any of this? I'm telling you, Twilight, these two are nothing but trouble. Why the Princess hasn't kicked them out of the kingdom already is beyond me."

"Why did you take those drawings Chevy?" Twilight reverted to the nickname because she no longer felt as confident in him as she did before.

"You believe in prophecies right? So try to follow me, I know Sam will." Dean shifted on his feet and pulled out a little slip of paper from his breast pocket. "Nightmare Night is coming up, that's our version of Halloween. Sam remember 'The Curse of Michael Myers? Halloween 6? Where the man in black kidnaps Jamie Lloyd and carries her baby away? Remember the scene where he's lying on a pedestal and those cult freaks are standing over him watching the stars. I know it's not much to go on but I found a newspaper in the trash and thought maybe there might be a little more to your new moon theory."

"Then what's that?" Sam asked eagerly. Dean handed the torn slip to Twilight who used her magic to levitate in front of both her and Sam.

"It's a receipt, dated about two and a half months ago, from some merchant selling back alley magical goods. I did a little asking around, turns out this merchant is a notorious pilferer. An expert in acquiring difficult to obtain items. A thief."

"What were you doing dealing with a thief?"

"I'll tell you what she was trying to do. She was trying to show you up." Dean started circling Trixie. "I bumped into Rarity after I washed up at the fountain and she filled me in on your last little get-together. You used your major magic skills to save the town from the screw up Trixie's little friends set up. On the way to the library I asked one of the guards to read the receipt for me and he filled me in on the dirty little secret.

Turns out Princess Luna's newest apprentice took some liberties with the law using her name. The guards didn't tell me that it was Luna's second and third best students, they don't seem to like you much on account of how much you get away with. Buying and selling magical items that aren't exactly approved by the school board, but she doesn't use them in class, oh no. Private magical studies aren't moderated by the board, and Luna helps you when she can. Providing a few perks her other students don't enjoy, like say making shady deals in the hopes of advancing your abilities."

Trixie stepped onto his path and stared him down.

"Agent, not only were you excessively aggressive in your search of the Princess's bedroom, you also asked the most dimwitted guards in all of Equestria for help. After which you interviewed the only two students in the entire class who envy me so much that they would of course say anything they could to hurt my reputation. Then you accuse me of name dropping so I could smuggle illegal goods past the guards to improve my studies, which you think me so petty as to assume that I, The Great and Powerful Trixie, am only doing so to settle a score with a former rival?"

Dean opened his mouth as if to go on another rant but settled for, "Yeah, pretty much."

"Trixie..."

Sam had read all the items he could from the receipt and thought of only one thing.

"Exactly what were you trying to do with these ingredients Trixie?" Dean pressed on.

"I was trying to find a cure for Princess Luna's sickness. What else?"

"Really? Because this receipt is dated thirteen days before Luna caught the sickness." Trixie became wide eyed and stammered for an explanation. "Not only that but these ingredients; Wormwood, Nightshade, Monkshood, Belladonna, Thyme. 'Round these parts throw in a few puppy dog tails and you got yourself a pretty decent summoning spell."

"A-are you accusing me of something? I don't seem to recall a summoning spell needing so many ingredients, and what does this have to do with the princess getting sick?"

"Everything. I've summoned demons before Miss Great and Powerful, I know what you need and how to do it. I also know the repercussions of a summoning, if you didn't sell your soul you made some other kind of deal in return for whatever it is you wanted. So Trixie, who or what did you summon and what did you trade?"

All eyes were on Trixie as she regained her composure. Sam's headache came back and he started rubbing his head. The pain fixated on a single point in his forehead again and when he moved his hoof to rub it he came to a surprising realization, but was he right?

"I assure you I have summoned nothing, much to your disappointment, especially not a demon. Whatever that is. Whatever has happened to the princess was none of my doing."

"Then why all the kidnappings? You can't deny the fact that they started up at the time the princess got sick. She also said she felt a chill run through her body..."

"Which would explain her flu like symptoms." Trixie interrupted. "I know it's hard for your tiny little mind to wrap itself around the obvious, Agent, but sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one."

"Sure alright. Then would you mind telling us why'd you have that tattered journal with entries about Horseshoe Jack, and how is it you knew so much about him when any other pony would think twice before reading up on him? It was my understanding that nopony, damn it, wanted to hear about him. Isn't that right Twilight?"

"Yes." Twilight blinked rapidly at the mere thought Dean would acknowledge her at this point.

"It may surprise you to know that same little seal scrawled in the journal was found in the courtyard where Luna said she felt the chill. Sam." Dean nodded and his brother unfolded the piece of parchment and presented it. "Look familiar? It should, seeing as how you had a ribbon on that page when I opened it. Want to know something neat? Those four stars around the seal aren't just there for decoration. They're there because its trying to show us that these aren't just sigils." Trixie eyed them questioningly.

"They're constellations! I recognize them now!" Twilight said.

"Constellations? The papers then, you knew?"

"Sure as hell took me a while to catch on. It wasn't until I bumped into Rarity and she told me some of the constellations looked familiar. She found four of those symbols etched into the fountain we were searching earlier in the courtyard. Those are the ones I asked Rainbow Dash to keep an eye out for." Dean took a step back. "So you see, these constellations have everything to do with what's going on."

Trixie's eyes darted back and forth while her nose scrunched up as she contemplated everything Dean had just said. At first she looked exasperated, her mouth hung open. It took several moments before she managed to close it and gave him a look that showed how surprised she was by this new relevant theory a pony she thought unfit for duty put together. A breeze blew through the trees of the garden carrying the sound of the festivities already underway. A Nightmare Night melody was being sung by the local children that culminated just as Trixie accepted her fate.

"You appear to be smarter than you look Agent. Yes, I did purchase those items and yes I did use them for a summoning charm." Twilight was surprised but Dean simply smiled and gave a curt nod as if to say 'Damn, I'm good.' "Summoning spells of this type are forbidden however so I hoped to carry it out in secret."

"What kind of summoning spell were you trying to cast?" Twilight asked. Sam looked at his brother who stared back. Meanwhile Applejack and Fluttershy seemed a bit lost. Applejack leaned into Fluttershy's ear.

"You followin any of this hooey?" Applejack whispered. Fluttershy shook her head.

"It is a complicated spell, and one that was performed successfully only once in all its history. It is called the "Ghosts of the Past" and is meant to communicate with ponies who are...no longer with us." Twilight gasped.

"You mean you're studying Necromancy!?" Applejack had no idea what Twilight was talking about but she had enough sense to know something wasn't quite right.

"Hold on there Trixie now you gone too far."

"No." Trixie, Sam, and Dean spoke together. They looked around at each other waiting to see who would explain.

"Agents." Trixie looked away.

Sam shrugged his shoulders. "You're on a roll."

Dean took a breath.

"I'm assuming you already know what necromancy is. Right?" Twilight nodded but her friends shook their heads. "Good. Trixie isn't trying to bring anybody back from the dead, she'd need a lot more equipment. What she's trying to do is talk to ghosts, or spirits, still not very smart. Spirits can turn angry for waking them up, ghosts can hurt you."

"I'm assuming you have experience in that as well?" Trixie asked.

"You have no idea." Dean said with a grim expression. "So who were you talking to?"

Trixie cleared her throat.

"Nopony special, just my Great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-gr eat..."

"Get on with it."

Trixie stopped talking to reform her words. "I was channeling the spirit of my ancestor, a great and powerful wizard in his own time. Master of the arcane, conductor of all things magical, creator of over two hundred spells."

"Hoo, boy here we go. Even her ancestors were showy."

"Wait, she can't mean..."

"Starswirl the Bearded!"

Twilight was shocked, Applejack was speechless, Fluttershy was happy for her.

"Oh my, is that why you thought you were so gifted before?" Trixie became enraged, terrifying her.

"What do you mean thought!?"

"Hey, lay off her." Sam stepped in and Trixie back away. "So you summoned this pony wizard. What then?"

"To be honest, I didn't quite succeed in summoning his spirit. The spell sort of backfired." Trixie rubbed her foreleg and cast her eyes down.

"Were you in the courtyard when this happened? Two months ago?"

"Yes, I was." Trixie picked her head up. "But you know as well as I do that a summoning spell, even when performed incorrectly, does not have that kind of effect on ponies."

"You got me there." Dean nodded.

"Still, something happened to Princess Luna." Twilight dared to break the silence. "And whatever it was, it seems now that it was meant to happen. So, if we ever want to have hope of saving her, and all of maybe all of Equestria, don't you think it would be wise to work together? We could sure use a descendant of Starswirl the bearded on our side."

Twilight smiled tentatively, trying to make Pinkie proud. Trixie took a quick glance at the ponies around her. Three of the six ponies who wielded the elements of Harmony, the ones who had successfully turned Nightmare Moon before, and imprisoned Discord, no doubt they could've also banished the Changelings. They were the ones she knew would be able help her fix her mistake. Then there was the Agents, she had no idea where they came from or how or why they were investigating these strange turn of events, but they seemed quite apt. Trixie took a deep breath.

"Very well, Twilight Sparkle, I shall help you." Twilight's smile broadened, though Fluttershy and Applejack seemed less excited. "But on one condition."

"What is it Trixie? Anything you want."

"I work with you and your friends only. I don't want to be involved with these agents in any way."

"Oh, well..." Twilight's smile began to fade.

"Fine with us. We work best by ourselves anyway. Come on Starsky." Dean said as they walked away. "Let's roll."

"Where are you going?"

"We're gonna go figure some stuff. We'll catch you later."Dean stopped and looked back over his shoulder. "Oh, and Trixie? Next time you want to call me a thug, just remember. I make Sherlock Holmes look like Inspector Gadget." Dean turned away smiling.

"You know they're not going to get that reference, right?"

"They don't need to Sammy."

"Uh-huh. So when did you decide to bust out that detective crap? I've never seen you do that before."

"You may have gone to law school Sammy, but I've been playing this game for years."

...

Soft voices echoed in the darkness. Zecora felt as if she were floating on a cloud, her mind was foggy and she could understand why she was laying down. The voices grew continually louder and clearer.

"...that white light?"

"How about we give her..."

"...think that'll work."

"Guys, she's not breathing!"

Zecora finally felt her body plummet to the ground as she sprang up in bed and took a long gasping breath. She continued to breath heavily for some time before realizing that Applebloom and her friends were standing at her bedside.

"Zecora are you okay?" Applebloom asked.

"We didn't find you home, so we went looking for you and almost got trampled." Sweetie Belle added.

"Yeah, we found you knocked out in the forest so we brought you back to your house." Scootaloo pointed at the door. Zecora tried to recollect her memory. "Were you caught up in that blast we saw? It rocked the whole forest!" Spike waved his arms. Zecora got up out of bed on unsteady feet.

"If such a blast it turned out to be, why did you come looking for me?"

"Well, actually we were already looking for you when the blast happened. We were running to your house when we saw another pony in the forest."

"Yeah, he was just standing sort of strange-like, and when we called him he didn't budge."

"So we went up to him but he disappeared into thin air! He turned up somewhere further away and we followed him but he just disappeared again."

"That's how we found you Zecora. If it wasn't for that strange disappearing pony, we wouldn't have known what happened to you."

"Surely such a sight filled you with dread, but tell me, how is it I woke up in my bed?" Zecora asked Sweetiebelle

"You have Spike to thank for that. Luckily dragons are really strong, even when they're babies."

"Yeah, that's true." Spike said.

Zecora smiled and thank them for helping her, then she walked to her shelves which had been upset by the quake. She started arranging a few things and pulling out bags filled with mysterious ingredients.

"Tell me my little ponies, that pony of which you kept losing sight. Could it not have been Twilight?"

"I don't think so Zecora. See Twilight and ma sister are visiting the princess in Canterlot right now. It couldn't be her."

"Not unless she learned how to transport to really far places. Besides that pony never turned to look at us, we only saw him from behind. But I know he had wings." Scootaloo said.

"No he didn't." Sweetiebelle said. "He had a horn. He was a unicorn pony."

"What no way. He had wings, I saw them."

"He had a horn." Sweetiebelle confronted her.

"He had wings." Scootaloo went toe to toe with her. They pushed each others face with their own, trying to make themselves taller in order to win the argument. Spike was the one who broke them up.

"Guys, guys. That doesn't matter right now. Besides he was wearing a coat."

"See." Sweetiebelle stuck out her tongue. Scootaloo scowled back at her.

"But this is the Everfree forest. Tons of spooky stuff happens here. Maybe you just thought he had a horn?" It was Scootaloo's turn to gloat.

"See." She stuck her tongue out and Sweetiebelle gave her the same look.

"Spike's right. It might not even have been a pony. It could been a ghost."

"Ahh, there's no such things as ghosts. Twilight said so."

"Twilight relies too much on her books and wits. You'd do well to believe in ghosts and spirits." Zecora started packing her ingredients into a burlap sack. She also picked up a mask from the floor and retrieved a second staff from the corner.

"Hey, Zecora. Ah been meaning to ask you." Zecora put on her mask but pulled up from her face to look at her. "Where were you all this time. I mean nopony's seen ya for a while."

"My presence has upset you little Applebloom, but I have been trying to stave our doom."

"Our doom? Whaddya mean?"

"I will explain to you soon, but now we must move. I sense the danger is still not out of sight, so I will ask you Spike to send a letter to Twilight."

Spike wrote down the letter explaining to Twilight all about the explosion, the earthquake, how they found Zecora and that they would all be waiting for her at the library. He sent it to her and they left the forest behind. It was frighteningly quiet as they moved, even more than usual, and that scared them. Zecora assured them they were safe and that there was still a chance of salvation from the return of darkness.

The letter drifted through the canopy of the forest in a magical puff of smoke that twisted and furled in the wind. It kept rising until it was level with Canterlot than made a beeline for Twilight. Not far off two ponies watched it drift across the evening sky. The first few stars were just coming out, the stars that everypony in Ponyville cast their wishes upon. They would wish for peace, for tranquility, for an end to whatever madness transpired earlier and for it never to return.

These worried wishes were nearly outweighed by the innocent wishes of little fillies and foals who wished for a new scooter, or lifetime supply of candy, and even a snow day to enjoy. All these wishes filled the ears of two strange ponies who stood atop a cliff. Their wings were tucked over the trench coats that covered their bodies. Their horns glowed softly as they caught the last rays of the setting sun. Their eyes icy blue glowed in the moonlight without aid.

"We have traveled too far looking for them, our presence nearly leveled this entire forest. We cannot remain here for long." Castiel turned to his partner. "Are you sure this is where you sent them?"

The angel pony beside him nodded his head feverishly.

"You better hope Malachai finds them in time. I'm afraid the Winchester's may also be altering the fabric of this world simply by interacting with its inhabitants." Castiel looked back and spread out one of his wings. "I hope Dean is holding out well."