• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 3,961 Views, 60 Comments

my little supernatural - thepinkparty



When the Winchesters have nowhere else to go, Dean asks for Castiels help

  • ...
5
 60
 3,961

pie

"I'll say one thing about these ponies. They make a decent pie." Dean said as he scarfed the last crumbs off his plate. Sam was nibbling on a salad as he looked over the police report. After their little run they found a restaurant, and their appetite. Sam just finished his third leaf of lettuce when the waiter came over.

"Did you two gentlecolts enjoy yourselves this afternoon?"

"Sure did. Say can I get some more of this pie to go?"

"Certainly, and how will you be paying for your meal?"

"My friend will get this one." He motioned to his brother and the waiter gave him his attention.

"Sir?" Sam looked up. The waiter asked again and Dean nodded to him.

"Oh, right." He smiled. "City Health inspector, we're here on a surprise visit."

"W-what?" The pony became wide eyed as Sam flashed his fake badge. "I didn't know about this."

"That's why it's called a surprise." Dean said. "Can I get ice cream on that pie?"

…...

Twilight spent the better part of an hour walking around staring at the floor hoping to get the image of the mutilated pony out of her head. Just the thought of its milky white eyes made her stomach...

"No, no. Get a hold of yourself Twilight, you can do this. Think, change the subject. What would Starswirl the Bearded do?" Twilight stood silently for longer than she anticipated. "Oh, who am I kidding?"

Just then she heard a familiar flapping sound, she picked up her head and saw Owlicious's form appear over the rooftops. Twilight perked right then just seeing a familiar face amidst the hustle and bustle of the city.

"Owlicious! What are you doing here?"

"Who." The owl hooted as it landed on her back and dropped a scroll.

"What's this? A letter from the princess!"

'My Dearest Twilight I hope I am not troubling you by bringing this to your attention, but as you probably already know there has been an unnatural death in Canterlot. Do not be afraid for I suspect the murderer is only after ponies without cutiemarks. As it is Princess Luna's condition seems to be worsening and I'm afraid her best assistant is at a loss of what to do for her. So I am asking you as my most faithful student to pay a visit to Canterlot and help however you can and please don't be shy about bringing your friends, I'm sure you know how much better a friendly face can make you when you are feeling down.'

Yours Truly,

Princess Celestia

"Princess Luna has an assistant? Wait, Canterlot? That's almost a whole day from here, I better find Chevy and Doodles. Thanks Owlicious you have no idea how glad I am to see you." She snuggled the Owl and took off for the train station. Of course she didn't get too far before she heard Doodles calling her name.

"Twilight! Hey Twilight! Where are you going!?"

She stopped instantly and turned around. There were the brothers standing in front of a resting train next to the conductor clipping tickets.

"Train station's back here sister." Chevy said with a sly grin on his face. Twilight's ears drooped as she realized where she inadvertently walked too.

"I guess that's why it was so crowded a few seconds ago."She smiled awkwardly.

The train heading to Canterlot was completely deserted, save for the attendants and added guards. Sam and Dean settled in the middle of a car an equal length from each of the armored pegasi at either entrance.

"Dean can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Could you cut back on the jokes just a little bit?"

"Why?"

"It's just, I don't think these ponies get your sense of humor, besides they're not even funny."

"Someone's gotta lighten the mood. Plus it takes me a long time to think up those jokes."

"Yeah, but for you a long time is two seconds."

"Cut me a break will ya? I'm stuck in ponyworld."

The door opened up behind Dean and Twilight stepped through with owlicious, who settled on the headrest. The guard insisted she show him her ticket before letting her continue.

"I'm sorry I had to leave like that, but no matter how many anatomy books you read it just doesn't seem to prepare you for something like that."

"Don't worry about it, you handled it a hell of a lot better than I did my first time. I almost puked my guts out and couldn't sleep for a week." Dean said as he looked out the window. Sam nudged him. "What?"

"What my brother is trying to say is that it's never easy, but you get used to it over time." He shot a look back at him. Twilight breathed deeply before she spoke.

"Alright then, should we continue?"

Sam nodded as he flipped past the photos of the dead unicorn. Post-op. He didn't stop until he landed on the list of spells. "Okay so this is where my brother and I picked up the case. All these spells are just reamed in here together." He passed the papers across the table to her.

"Okay lets see what we got here. From what I read on police reports, they always list the most important or prominent things first. So if we look at the first spells we should get a picture of how the situation first escalated."

"Alright, uh, first spell is...Projection."

"So what, somebody beamed Scotty on board?" Sam looked at Dean with the same look as before, but felt the need to correct him. "That's teleportation."

"What's a Scotty?"

"It's nothing, don't worry about it." Sam covered up, and before Twilight could ask again. "So Projection, did somebody find it necessary to make themselves look bigger?"

Dean stifled a laugh.

"Um, no. Projection is a defensive spell that is meant to expel any impurities from yourself or other ponies."

"Um, what kinds of impurities?"

"Well usually it would mean something small like a nymph or other parasites. But judging from the report the projection spell used was far too powerful for a common ailment."

"So whoever used this spell wanted to remove something bigger than a booboo."

"Precisely."

"Something as big as say a psychopathic vampiric princess?"

Twilight fell silent while Sam looked up from the report and slowly turned to his brother. Dean defended himself.

"Like you can come up with something better."

Sam turned back to the report. "Whatever, I think I found something here we can use. The witness said that the spells used weren't what we would consider 'normal' pony magic."

"Yes, these are all curses." Twilight flipped her papers. "At least half of these required some form of witchcraft I'm not familiar with, and I never even heard about most of them."

"Right, the pony opposite Mr. Stone used a really powerful dark form of magic. I guess they felt they had to going up against royalty and all." Dean took a few papers from his brother as he started feeling useless.

"Witness also reports hearing strange voices chanting in an incoherent language. Felt a sharp decrease in air temperature, no surprise there. Looky here Will-o-wisps showed up right before the fight broke out."

"Guess that explains the names." Sam lay a paper on the desk and pointed out a line with his hoof. He shook off the unfamiliar feeling before continuing. "It says here quote, 'I will call upon ancient names, powerful names, to vanquish this evil of lesser fame.' end quote."

"Well I'll be, sounds like good old fashioned voodoo."

"Is that a type of magic?" Twilight asked.

"Yep, and the most powerful type to boot. You probably never heard of it because it's from..." Dean stopped before he said 'Africa', but then it hit him. "Hey, didn't that Mounty Sheriff pony say something about a zebra?"

Twilight perked up.

"Yeah, he did. It's in the report too, but it was wearing a hood. Not like it matters."

Dean shifted his gaze to Twilight. "Hey, uh, Twilight, there wouldn't happen to be any zebras living around these parts would there?"

Twilight thought about Zecora, and the way she always rhymed everything she said. Then thought about what these two strange ponies might do to her if they caught up with her. She shunned the vision of the dead pony from her mind before talking.

"No, there are no zebras living around here, and I don't know of any that are."

"Yeah, I thought as much."

Twilight's owl hooted and started nudging her, but she just shushed her.

"You know if Voodoo worked against this thing maybe we should stock up on some things."

Owlicious hooted louder and started hopping side to side on her perch.

"Sure I'll call up the nearest pottery and see if they have any spare brick dust we could have."

"That's Hoodoo, Doodles."

Owlicious finally had enough and jumped off the head rest onto the table, snatching the report from Sam. "Hey I was reading that."

Sam looked as the bird as it twisted its head a full 180 degrees and stared at him. "Give it back."

The owl seemed surprised as it twisted its head back to Twilight and dropped the sheet in front of her, pecking at a very specific line in the report. Twilight knew what Owlicious was trying to do, but she couldn't risk Zecora's life.

"Twilight what is that bird doing?" Dean asked as Twilight tried to calm her down.

"She's just, feeling a little cooped up I guess." Owlicious hooted in protest as she picked up the paper again and returned it to Sam. "Oh, now I see." She said faking surprise. "I forgot to write a letter to the girls telling them to meet me in Canterlot. Excuse me a moment." Twilight got up to leave as the sweets cart rolled in.

"Okay Twilight, now please step aside." Dean said eying the tray as it drew closer.

"Why hello there! You know I wasn't sure anypony was on this train."

"Well I am, and I'll tell you what I've been hankering some pie all day long. Can I get a slice?"

"Sure thing thing hon, and how 'bout you sweetie?" The cart pony asked Twilight.

Twilight felt a bit peckish after skipping breakfast, and lunch. "I guess I'll just take this apple fritter. Oh, Doodles do you want anything?"

Sam looked up from the report long enough to say, "No, thanks." Then got back to reading. Twilight paid for their meals and darted off to another car as the trolley pony moved along. Sam was left alone again in the train car with the guards at either door and his brother delighting in his fourth helping of pie that afternoon.

"Really?" he finally said.

"Wha..?"

"I just find it hard to believe that a pony's diet consists of nothing but flour, sugar, and what looks like maraschino cherries."

"We're in pony world Sammy, your human rules don't apply to me anymore."

Sam shifted in his seat.

"Is it just me or is this trip taking longer than the ones we usually take?"

"That's because we don't have any music. Hell even your whiny annoying emo rock music would seem good right about now."

"What's wrong with Green Day?"

…...

The train ride continued well into the night. Sometime before sunset Twilight let owlicious go near Manehattan where her flight would be shortest back to ponyville. Sam and Dean camped out in the dining car while Twilight napped in her bunk. While Sam took a final look at the paperwork Dean came back around from his transition from pie to cake. Sam rubbed his head.

"All this paperwork is giving me a headache. Remember when we used just drive the Impala. Picked up the pieces later?"

"I remember I used to drive the Impala." Dean licked frosting from his hoof.

"I'm just saying we might be well prepared when facing the princess, but wrapping my head around all this pony anatomy and magic is giving me a killer headache."

"That's 'cause you're thinking like you. You should think like me."

"You're right." Sam said much to Dean's surprise. "I should just put this out of my head and fill it with frosting and sugar."

"You'd be living the dream." Dean slid his next piece of pie over to him and raised an eyebrow.

Sam thought seriously about tossing the papers over his shoulder and digging in. The powdered sugar that dusted the cinnamon crust and melded into the caramelized apples sure looked good in the moonlight. A shadow passed over his pie while he pondered.

"Dean."

Several footsteps resounded on the metal roof overhead.

"They're headed for Twilight."

Sam and Dean ran down the car and into the next one. They kept going until they were stopped outside the bunk car by one of the night guards.

"Where do you two think you're going?"

"We're going to sleep Einstein what do you think?"
"No passage without your tickets. Ponies are asleep in this car and they trust me with their safety."

"Listen if you're concerned with their safety you have to let us through."

"No."

"But we heard footsteps up on the roof."

"The only footsteps I've heard all night are yours. Now please either present your tickets or go away."

"Alright fine, let me just go get them." Dean turned around and kicked the guard's face as hard as he could.

"Dude!"

"I got no fists Sammy."

Sam didn't question him any further and threw his weight into the door falling into the other car. Dean walked around him and started checking all the beds. Twilight reached down and helped Sam to his feet from her bed.

"Twilight!"

"Twilight?"

"Chevy, Doodles? What are you two doing here?"

"We came because we thought someone would be after you."

"Who would be after me?"

"Well that's what we're here to find out." Dean searched around the car.

"What are you looking for Doodles?" Twilight asked Dean.

"I'm not looking for anything, I'm right here."

"Oh. Sorry it's dark."

Dean didn't notice as he searched everywhere for anything that seemed strange or out of place. All the beds were made, but that didn't mean someone could've placed a hex bag, if they had them here anyway. He kept searching.

"Twilight you haven't heard anything in the past couple of minutes have you?"

"How could I? I was asleep."

"Huh. Anything else strange maybe you had a bad dream or felt like you were floating?"

"No. But I am feeling a little bit safer with you here." Twilight batted her eyelashes at Sam.

A little further down the car Dean pulled back the curtain on a top bunk and found a very messy bed. There was a badge and a wrinkled suit and tie stuffed in a corner, and the window was open. Dean stuck his head out and looked around. Several cars down he saw a gathering of flying dark shapes being shot down by a purple unicorn using her magic. He brought his head back in and looked back at his brother. Twilight was bringing her head closer to his and in the moonlight he saw her eye glint in a green color.

"HEY!" Dean shouted more to the fake Twilight than to his brother. Sam turned, his eyes were glowing a faint green.

"That's not Twilight!" Sam shook his head breaking free from the changeling's spell and when he turned back the fake Twilight hissed at him with it's new fangs. Sam drew back as it broke through the window behind it and flew into the sky.

"Sam those things took Twilight. They got her up on the roof."

"What the hell are they?"

"Who knows but she's putting up a hell of a fight."

Twilight was growing tired having to shoot down so many changelings, she could feel her magic draining away. Another changeling came down in front of her and charged, fangs ready. Twilight cast a magical bubble to protect herself when Dean tackled it and threw the changeling over the side. Sam came in behind him and started pushing her back.

"Twilight what happened?"

"The changelings are back. I think Queen Chrysalis is trying to take Canterlot again."
"Changelings?"

Two cars behind them the guard regained consciousness and was investigating the broken window. Cautiously he peered out and withdrew quickly as a dark shape flew past him and hit the ground. His duty obligated him to investigate, so he grabbed his spear and flew out. Racing alongside the train he came up just in time to see one of the two ponies that assaulted him being overpowered by those dastardly changelings.

Dean couldn't handle three changelings at once, each one was reaching for his neck with their fangs. While he was under them strange things came to his mind, nothing weird, but memories of him and Sam as kids. Old memories of when they weren't hunting monsters or training, but when they first visited the beach and saw their first topless woman. Or the time when Sam's first tooth fell out and he thought he was falling apart. Even when the storm hit in Colorado and the hotel lost power, their dad turned on a flashlight and read them exorcism spells from the bible. He couldn't help but feel warm inside.

That's when the first of them buried it's fangs into his neck and drained all the warmth out.

"Ah! Son of a bitch!" He punched the changeling as best he could with his forehoof just as the guard flew in and tackled the three of them off of him.

Dean stood up and looked as the changelings started going after the new guy.

"Go! Get the lady to safety, I'll handle these miscreants."

Dean didn't waste any time. "Alright you heard the man let's move."

"Dean, these things are changelings."

"Seriously?"

"Come on, we can get back inside by using the emergency hatch in that cherry up ahead."

Dean looked from Twilight to the cupcake car further down. "Seriously?"

Sam was first to jump the cars, then Twilight and Dean. As they kept moving three changelings buzzed overhead and turned into Sam running next to him and pushing and shoving each other so they all fell in one big heap. They all stood up with the same expression on their face.

"Oh, crap not this thing."

"They're the imposters I'm the real me."

"No he's not it's me."

"No, me.

"It's really me."

The four Sam's kept arguing with each other while Dean tried to figure it out.

"Wait, I know a spell that'll show us the real Doodles. It'll take some time but, oh no..." Dean covered her mouth and stared at the four Sams.

"I know a better way." Dean waited for just the right time before speaking while Twilight was struggling and waving her arms frantically. The changelings and Sam were genuinely confused, until at last. "Sammy duck!"

Dean hit the floor with Twilight and only the real Sam ducked in time to avoid the rim of the tunnel entrance.

After several tense moments in the tunnel they emerged on the other side covered in soot.

"Nice plan dude!" Sam yelled over the sound of the locomotive.

"What can I say?!" Dean shouted back.

"Um, guys? Look!" Twilight pointed at a large tree that was being chewed by more changelings.

"Move!"

Sam opened the cherry and hurried Twilight in, then Dean and himself. The changelings managed to chew through the tree just as the train was passing by. Sam, Dean, and Twilight meanwhile were running frantically through the empty cars and just entered the kitchen when the tree shattered the roof above them. Dishes, baked goods, and sparks flew everywhere as the force of the collision threw them all to the ground.

Behind them the tree jammed the rails and forced the cars to crash into each other. The first few closest to the impact zone were sent flying off the tracks, the ones that lagged behind crashed into each other. Like a telescope folds into itself the train cars forced themselves into each other. Wood splintered and metal groaned nearly twice as loud in the dead of night, it was a mass of confused noise that was impressive enough to deafen Dean to his brother's words but he could see him shoving something.

"Hang on, Sam." Dean joined him in pushing the object to the edge of the severed car until it snagged. Dean started putting his weight into as he tried to shoulder it free when Sam pulled him back. Sam turned and kicked a hose free from the bottom. In the moonlight Dean could just make out an oven as it tumbled off the car and disintegrated on the tracks. He also saw the swarm of changelings bearing down on them.

"Dean move!" Sam said as he picked up a lantern. Dean rushed Twilight out of the car as Sam smashed the lantern against the floor as the changelings landed in the train. They barely had time to hiss before the gas pipe burst into flames. The resulting explosion was enough to demolish what was left of the car and leave a gaping hole where Sam stood only moments before. The fireball rose slowly into the air and dispersed the remainder of the swarm that wasn't incinerated in the initial blast.

The planks smouldered as the air rushed past them, Sam and Dean bumped hooves as they took a breather. Twilight dropped her flank in the nearest seat and looked at the two of them already making small talk over the changelings.

"I guess...you two really have a lot of... experience dealing with changelings." She was having a hard time catching her breath.

"Since we were kids. Sammy here actually was born into it." Dean said as Sam nodded.

"So, Sammy, and Dean?" Twilight inquired as both of their eyes grew wide. "Are those you're real names. I can understand if you lied, this is a pretty," Twilight paused, "Interesting job."

Dean walked closer to Twilight.

"Now hang on it's not like we wanted to lie. We just thought with our names wouldn't really blend in, y'know?" Twilight nodded. "So we just introduced ourselves, to your friends, with fake names."

"I didn't even get to choose mine." Sam said almost pensively.

"Would you mind telling me your real names?" Dean looked at Sam, who nodded.

"My name's Dean. Dean Winchester and..." Sam interrupted him.

"I'm Sam. Or Samuel if you want to get more technical."

"Really?"

"Yes." Sam was curt with him.

"Well, um, Dean and Sam. Thank you for saving me."

"All in a day's work."

Several guards entered the room and were stunned by what they saw. Twilight took the initiative and explained what had happened. The guards took turns looking from Sam to Dean and back again. One was bruised and bloodied, the other was covered in ash and smelled of smoke. Twilight kept talking until a familiar whistle sounded their arrival to Canterlot.

"We're approaching the city. Miss we must ask you and your, party, to follow us into the security car. Nightwatch, Lockdown, patch up this hole immediately." The captain said as he led them out, while the two guards exchanged irritated looks. "Let's thank Celestia nopony else was on board, at least something good came of this massacre."

…...

"And then what happened?" Rainbow Dash was hanging on to Dean's every word. It was mid morning the day after their adventurous train ride and the rest of the gang had just arrived from ponyville. Twilight invited them to their room in the east tower while they waited for their audience with the princess. Applejack took notice of his black eye and commented on it, while Rarity nearly fainted at the sight.

"What happened? They booked us a room at the Straight Bar Motel for the night. Poor Doodles was scared out of his mind."

"Oh, dear. Is Doodles alright?" Fluttershy pleaded him.

"He's fine."

"Whoa, you guys are like action heroes, they even gave you a free room for the night!"

"Actually Dash I think he means jail. That's where they took them last night."

"What? You save everyone on the train and they send you to jail? Not cool."

"You're telling me."

"Oh, you poor dears. How did you two ever manage?" Rarity embraced Dean. Dean chuckled nervously before pushing her away.

"It wasn't that bad."

Rainbow flew in. "I heard they give you only stale bread and warm water to eat and drink."

"I heard they force you to sleep on a damp stone floor without any hay." Applejack said.

"The worst I've heard are the cold showers with lye soap and no hair conditioner."

Dean was dumbfounded by all their responses, were they really this innocent?

"You girls haven't seen many prison movies have you?"

They all shook their heads.

"The crime rate in Equestria is largely non-existent, not many prison movies have been made outside of public service announcements in movie houses."

"Bummer."

There was a knock on the door and Twilight answered as the others kept their attention on Dean.

"Shining Armor! It's so good to see you!" Twilight hugged her brother.

"Hey Twi, I just stopped by thank the guys responsible for saving my favorite sister."

"I'm your sister."

"True, but that doesn't mean you're still not my favorite. So is the young colt responsible?"

"One of them, yes. Shining Armor say hello to Chevy Impala."

Rainbow chuckled. "Sorry, it's still funny."

Dean and Shining Armor shook hooves.

"So Chevy, tell me how it feels to have saved the sister of the Captain of the guard."

"I don't know. Same as everyday I guess." He shrugged. Shining Armor was surprised.

"You don't feel honored? Proud?" Dean took some time to think before he shook his head and said not really. Shining Armor was not impressed.

"It's okay Shining Armor, he says he's done this type of thing a million times before. I'm sure it just comes as second nature to him."

"Right. Well, I guess we can adjourn to the throne room, the princess has decided to take advantage of this opportunity to award these ponies medals of exceptional bravery."

"No way we're getting a freaking medal?"

Shining Armor beamed. "So how do you feel now?"

"I don't know." Dean smiled. "Pretty weird, actually."

Shining Armor frowned. "We should get going, the princess doesn't like to be kept waiting."

…...

Sam just finished taking his second bath and sniffed himself. He smelled like lilac, and roses, and smoke, but more flowers than smoke so he decided he was clean enough. It was a challenge scrubbing himself with hooves but found that it wasn't completely impossible as they were very dextrous. He took extra time to relax in the hot water hoping it would calm his headache. He figured the stress from the paperwork, their exciting night, and the fact that he hadn't actually eaten anything until just a few hours ago were contributing factors.

The detention cell they were taken to was actually more comfortable than most of the motels they had slept in the past. Cleaner too. Sam looked at himself in the mirror and inspected himself closely. There was something off about his appearance that he just couldn't put his finger on. He turned his head this way and that trying to figure out what it was that bothered him so much. It was staring at him in the face when Dean knocked loudly on the door.

"Hurry up in there, it's time to meet the princess!"

Moments later Rarity was fussing over Dean's tie as they waited to be let into the throne room. Surprisingly Twilight was also tidying Sam's coat. She insisted on them looking their best in front of the princess. Shining Armor was still visibly upset with Dean, and he was ignoring Sam as well.

"Alright, when you see the princess be sure to bow to her and don't get up until she acknowledges you. When she does she'll probably ask you a question, and it might have to do with your job. Just make sure you're truthful in your response she's very good at spotting lies."

"Twilight please, we have a lot experience in pretending we're law officials. I think we got lying pat down just right."

"Yeah, we're experts liars. Hell, we're lying to you right now."

"You are?" Twilight's heart jumped in her throat.

"No. See how good we are?" Dean smiled as trumpets started to blare overhead. Shining Armor started to grow belligerent but Twilight assured him they were okay. As the doors opened a bright white light blinded them for a second before their eyes could adjust. As they stepped through Sam and Dean kept blinking their eyes until they arrived at the foot of the princess's throne. Twilight nudged them and they bowed to the princess.

"It is good to see you again Twilight, and it is my privilege to welcome your friends as well, both the old and the new."

Sam and Dean rose with the rest of the group and looked at Princess Celestia with uneasy eyes.

"Dude." Sam said.

"Yeah."

Twilight's smiled also vanished as she looked from the princess to the blue unicorn smiling down at her.

"Trixie?"