• Published 13th Jan 2022
  • 660 Views, 43 Comments

Little Filly Lost - bkc56



When the wagon wheel of Canterlot bureaucracy rolled over me, I found myself out of work and out of options. The last thing I needed was to find a little filly lost in the rain late one night. Or, perhaps, it was exactly what I needed.

  • ...
3
 43
 660

6. Little Filly Found

The filly had hardly said a word since we boarded the train in Canterlot. Despite having plenty of space on the bench, she sat right next to me, leaning against my shoulder. Most foals, and even some adults, would have their muzzle pressed against the window, transfixed as the world whished by outside. She sat with glazed, unseeing eyes, staring forward. Normally, if I just gave her some time, she’d volunteer what was bothering her. That wasn’t working today.

I gave her the slightest little nudge with my shoulder. “Hey, kid, you okay?”

Snapped out of her daze, she looked up at me. I’d seen that expression before. She was moments from tears. “Are you scared?”

She softly whispered, “What if they don’t want me?”

I wrapped a leg around her and hugged. “Of course they want you. Don’t you remember what Citrine said? About how excited they were to have you come? They absolutely want you.”

Then, even softer, she asked, “What if I mess up?”

I shrugged. “You will. Everypony does. But what did your dad teach you about that?”

Her eyes drifted towards the ceiling as she thought. “To help clean up and to learn from it?”

I gave her another squeeze. “Exactly. And he was right. Yes, you’ll mess up. But they’ll love you anyway. Just remember what your dad taught you.”

Letting her go, I reached into my saddlebag and pulled out a wrapped present. “Here, kid. I was saving this for later. But I think now, while it’s quiet, would be better than after we get to Ponyville.” I held it out to her.

“For me?”

“Well, unless you see some other filly here.” I lifted it up and made a show of looking around. “Any other fillies here expecting a present?”

“No, no. It’s for me. You said it was mine.” She reached up with both legs. I lowered my hoof and gave it to her.

I expected the typical foalish rip-tear-shred as she attacked the package. But not this filly. This filly carefully unwrapped it from the back to reveal the contents. Even now, she was still surprising me.

Her eyes went wide as she looked up at me. “This is Windflower’s journal.”

“Well, not exactly her journal.” I smiled. “It’s one of the nice reproductions they sell. Since you share her name, I thought you should have your very own copy of her journal.”

She stood up on her hind legs and attacked me with a hug. “Oh, thank you. Thank you.”

I closed my eyes as I returned her embrace. It had been a gut-wrenching week, and it was good to see things turning around for her. After a few moments, I let go and she sat back down. She opened the front cover. “You wrote something? I’m not so good with hoofwriting. Can you read it to me. Please.”

I cleared my throat. “Windflower, never forget the past, as it points to your future. Your friend, Dark Steel.”

She hugged it tight to her chest with both legs. “Will my new parents read it to me?”

I stroked her mane. “I’m sure they will. And it won’t be long until you can read it yourself. Perhaps by the end of this school year.” I glanced out the window. “We’re almost to Ponyville. Why don’t you put that in your saddlebag and get ready?”

She carefully folded up the wrapping paper and put it and the journal into her saddlebag.

Once the train stopped at the station, we made our way to the exit. Few ponies disembarked, and there were even fewer waiting to get on the train. The conductor loaded the filly’s stuff onto a cart. It was just a suitcase and a couple boxes of things she’d kept from her dad’s apartment. Once that was done, I scanned the platform and spotted Ruby and Rusty waiting at the far end. Their ears twitched and tails flicked. He was nervously pawing at the ground. She was frozen in place, watching us.

“There they are, kid.” I tilted my head in their direction. She stared at them. “Don’t worry, I’ll be right here with you.” We started walking. She clung to my side, a half pace back trying to hide behind my saddlebag.

“Good morning. I’m Dark Steel.” I held out a hoof, which Rusty shook.

“Mr Steel. It’s so good to meet you. Detective Citrine told us all about everything you did to help Windflower. We are forever indebted to you.”

From behind my saddlebag, the filly softly spoke up, “He’s a detective. That means he follows clues. It’s hard work. He’s the best detective in the whole world.”

Ruby took a step to the side so she had a better view of the filly. “I’m sure he is. Windflower--”

“He’s my friend.”

Ruby smiled. “Of that I have no doubt. And from what I’ve heard, he’s been a really good friend.”

The filly looked down and adjusted the position of the friendship bracelet she still wore on her leg.

Ruby continued. “And I must say, it’s so nice to see you again. You’ve grown so much.”

The filly moved a half-step away from me to better see Ruby. “You’ve seen me before? I don’t remember you.”

“Oh yes. Rusty and I were in Canterlot when you were born. We both got to hold you. We were there again for your first birthday. We gave you a small plush doll of Princess Celestia.”

She perked up. “That was from you? I still have that.” She looked over her shoulder at the cart with her things. “It’s in the box with the other toys from my room.”

“I’m so glad you liked it. I’m sorry we never got back to see you again.”

Rusty took a step closer to me, talking softly, “Once Shadow and that mule of a mare…” He glanced at the filly. “Once she left with Windflower, we were never invited back. We saw Shadow several times for holidays and such, but never our niece. It was really hard on Ruby.”

Rusty then moved next to his wife. “So, Mr Steel, you’ve got a couple hours until the next train for Canterlot. How about we all go get a bite to eat? On the way, we can drop Windflowers stuff at the house. That will also give you a chance to see it and her room.”

The filly looked up at me. “You’ll come with us, right?”

“Sure, kid.”


I sighed heavily as I trudged down the hallway. It has been a long day going to Ponyville and back. I was exhausted. I opened the door to my apartment and went inside. I had the distinct feeling that something was wrong. I quickly searched the room with my eyes. It wasn’t that something was wrong, it was that something was missing.

My gaze settled on the kitchen table where she’d spent so much of her time drawing. The pictures were a kind of therapy for her. They allowed her to express emotions and feelings she just didn’t have the words for. So many pictures that I had to buy her a second box of crayons.

I noticed there was a picture left behind on the table. I walked over and spun it around so I could see. It was one of her original pictures showing the filly and I on the couch reading from the journal. Kid, you really aren’t very good at this drawing thing, are you? Still, despite the blobs hardly being recognizable as ponies, the emotion came through. This one whispered of safety, and… a sense of peace. Those first couple days, that was probably as good as it got.

I walked over to the couch and dropped my saddlebag. The fatigue threatened to overwhelm me as I plopped down. I closed my eyes and put my head back. If I allowed myself, I’d be asleep in minutes. I took off my fedora and tossed it on the coffee table.

“The best detective in the whole world.” I thought about her statement most of the way home on the train. It wasn’t true, of course. Still, I had played the part, and I had accomplished something. Something… important. It hadn't been about catching the bad guys, even though we did. It wasn’t about recovering the stolen artifacts, even though we’d done that too. It was about helping a little filly, lost and alone. I thought my dream of helping ponies was dead when I got fired, but perhaps that wasn’t true after all. Perhaps the dream was still alive, and now able to grow, free from the restrictions and bureaucracy that is the Canterlot Police Department.

I leaned forward and flipped open my saddlebag. Reaching in, I extracted my copy of the form I’d filled out and submitted on my way home from the train station. The top read: New Business Application. I skimmed down a few lines to the one labeled ‘Name of Business’. On the blank line I’d written: Discrete Discovery Private Investigators.

I allowed the form to slide from my hoof, gliding down to the couch beside me. It was a new start. A chance to follow my dream without anypony or anything blocking my way. It absolutely scared me to death. I glanced at the form beside me. But the die was cast. I wasn’t going to turn back now.

I stood up, headed into the bedroom, and sat on the edge of the bed. It was early, but I think getting some sleep would be a really good idea. I have a lot to do tomorrow. I need to find a cheap office to rent, get an ad in the Canterlot paper, and talk to Citrine about throwing any business my way when ponies needed help beyond what the police could provide. It will be a busy day.

I took in a deep breath and blew it out. That’s all for tomorrow. Right now, I need to… My gaze landed on the bedside table. Light blue-green, red, and violet. She’d left me the twin to her friendship bracelet. I picked it up. As I looked at it, my vision got blurry. I wiped my eyes with a leg.