• Published 13th Dec 2021
  • 862 Views, 72 Comments

Parent Trap - PhantomBulwark



Rarity and Applejack have been apart a long time. And they're... content... with that. However, it seems that fate, and the will of two teenage boys, will change that.

  • ...
6
 72
 862

Home

And I would sooner burn this farm to the ground than go another day trying to hide it. AJ’s words echoed in Rarity’s head, even as she slumped in her first class seat. The plane was not crowded and Crispin was being far too quiet as he sat next to her. In the permeating silence she suddenly felt very alone and very small.


The flight attendant was speaking but Rarity did not hear her. Her mind stayed locked on the scent of apples and moist earth that she associated with the farm. She was not pulled from her brooding until Crispin broke the silence in a most spectacular fashion. “This sucks!” he announced loudly, drawing the attention of the other passengers. Then, “oh mind your own!” most of the onlookers turned away at his snarl.


“Darling,” said Rarity gently, “please just this once could you be a little less dramatic?”


I’m dramatic?” he huffed indignantly. “Mother, you once had a forty minute argument about lace creation with an elderly English craftswoman because she wouldn’t tell you the secret to her flower patterns. I am not nearly as dramatic as you, and frankly your dramatic tendencies are why we are in this mess.”


Incensed Rarity glared at him, “and what pray tell do you think I’m being overly dramatic about?”


“We don’t have to go back. You’re sabotaging your own happiness and mom’s too. I love Manehatten but… I love having a family more.”


Rarity flinched but pulled him into an awkward side hug with the arm rest poking them both. “I suppose I’ve always hoped your mother would chase me and when she never turned up I… gave up a little. She used to tell me that I romanticized her too much but, well, she never let me down. She loves with everything she has. I wish I was braver Crispin, truly I do. I just don’t think I could bear it if it didn’t work out. I’ve always been afraid to risk it.”


“Just this once, please risk it mom.” They were quiet the rest of the way back to their Manehatten home.


In fact, it was quiet the rest of that week. Sullen and more than a little irritated, Crispin spent most of his time in his room and refused to give Rarity more than passing conversation. The longer the silence continued the more she was forced to stew in her own thoughts until it simply became too much. The first Monday that Crispin was back in school Rarity stayed at home alone. She could not bring herself to work knowing that her son was miserable and her own melancholy was beginning to weigh on her.


She was in her room watching Titanic with an extra-large carton of ice cream when the phone rang. She ignored the little device and promptly silenced it, returning to her pity party. Her business phone rang next. What, she thought darkly, does a girl have to do to be able to wallow in peace? She let the call ring through and then turned both phones off with a huff.


The doorbell rang.


With a cross between a groan and a scream of frustration, Rarity stomped down the stairs. She was still in her silk pajamas and her hair was in a tangle but she could not bring herself to care. “What,” she shrieked as she flung the door open, “do you..?” Her voice died in her throat. “Rainbow Dash?”


A familiar, mischievous grin spread on Rainbow’s face and she thrust a duffle bag at Rarity. “Pack your shit,” she proclaimed, “you’re going home.”


“I-what?”


Pinkie Pie materialized by her side in an instant, as Pinkie Pie was wont to do. She was ginning in a way that was almost off putting. “You’re going home!” she cheered, “Crispy said you were sad and so we’re here to help you pack!”


While Rarity tried to catch up with what was happening, Rainbow pushed past her into the house with Fluttershy on her heels. Rainbow looked around the space and gave a low whistle, “swanky place Rares.”


“It’s um, nice, Fluttershy offered in agreement. She took Rarity’s arm and pulled her into the house, shutting the door. “Are you alright Rarity?”


Her frazzled brain finally rebooted and Rarity sputtered, “I’m sorry. Not… that I’m not pleased to see you all but what on earth are you doing here? In Manehatten?”


With a stern expression that she rarely ever used Fluttershy gripped her friend by both shoulders. “A better question would be, ‘what are you doing here Rarity?’ You belong in Canterlot with your family. With our family. So here’s what we’re going to do: you are going to pack your essentials and your and Crisp are taking the first flight home.”


“I-but!” Rarity protested, even as Pinkie began dragging her toward her upstairs bedroom. “What about my business? My house? Do you have any idea how impossible it will be to-”


“We’ve got it covered.” Rainbow had apparently returned from exploring and was already half-way through a glass of her good scotch. “We’re going to stay here and take care of the house until you get settled. We’ll help you from here and you get to go home, everybody wins.”


Fluttershy gave her hand a squeeze, “it was Twilight’s idea.”


Sinking onto her bed with wide eyes, Rarity’s mind raced. Here were her friends, offering her an answer to everything. She could go home… home. Once the thought entered her head she could not stop it. This was exactly what she wanted and now… there was no reason to say no. “Surely Applejack isn’t going to-”


Pinkie practically vibrated with excitement, “She’s meeting you at the airport!”


As she stood to disembark her second flight in only a handful of days, Rarity knew she should have protested more. Here she was, a beaming Crispin in tow, returning to Canterlot to… what? Get back together with Applejack? She tried to remind herself of all that AJ said before she left. She tried to remind herself that AJ was waiting for her… It was difficult. An oppressive fear had made its home in her heart. What if she doesn’t show up? What if now that I left her again she’s given up?


“I can hear you freaking out, mother.”


Steadfastly ignoring her sons comment she allowed herself to follow the other passengers off the plane.


She did not know what she was expecting. Applejack Apple, dressed in a freshly pressed suit and holding a massive sign with her name on it, surrounded by all of her family and friends, was not it.


She pushed past the crowd as politely as possible and broke into a sprint as soon as she was clear. There was a soft “oof” as their bodies slammed together and Applejack whooped, “you’re here!” She spun them both in a circle, a wide grin on her handsome face.


“I’m home… and I’m never leaving again.”