• Published 13th Dec 2021
  • 861 Views, 72 Comments

Parent Trap - PhantomBulwark



Rarity and Applejack have been apart a long time. And they're... content... with that. However, it seems that fate, and the will of two teenage boys, will change that.

  • ...
6
 72
 861

Twins

The Harmony cabin was set away from the tents of the other campers. Not so far as to be secluded completely, but isolated enough that it was quiet. Cortland figured that was the point. It also lacked any pleasant company. Cortland did not like the prissy rich kid. Not one bit. Rich kids were dishonest; they didn’t know the value of hard work.

“So,” said the Rich Boy, staring unblinkingly at the plain ceiling of the Harmony cabin. “What’s your name?”

Cortland glowered, “Cortland Belle.”

The other boy sat up, startled. “Belle?”

“Eeyup.”

“As in, B-E-L-L-E?!”

“That’s how it’s spelled,” He growled, “My Ma’s name, what’s it to ya?”

“That’s my Mother’s last name. Rarity Belle.”

Cortland’s heart goes cold in his chest. He hadn’t heard that name in a long, long time. Rarity Belle, he thought to himself. His Aunt Dash had let that name slip only once. When he’d asked for more detail from his mother she had been furious. She’d banned Dash from the house for a week. Cortland was told that Rarity Belle had been his mother, his other mother. That she had left them. And that he was not to mention that name to his Ma ever again.

“You’re lyin.’” Cortland snarled, “You’re a liar.”

“Why in heavens name would I lie about my Mother’s name?” Crisp snapped back, this Cortland, he thought, is some sort of psychopath.

“Rarity Belle don’t got any kids!” Cortland proclaimed with such force that Crisp actually leaned back a bit.

Why would he think my mother has no children? How does he even know her? He paused, considering the best way to get Cortland to settle down. “Why do you think that?”

“She an’ my Ma used to be together.” He grumbled, “An’ then she up and left one day. Left us both and never came back. She’s a no good liar just like you are!” Without another word Cortland stomped out the door, slamming it behind him.

Crisp watched the boy through the screen door for a long while. When it seemed as if he had no intention of coming back into the cabin, he dug around in his backpack and retrieved what he was looking for. Then followed Cortland out onto the porch.

Crisp thrust the worn, crumpled paper in his hand at the other boy, holding it out insistently. Cortland snatched it without looking at it or him. “What is this?”

“A photograph, of my Mother and I. I thought maybe if I showed it to you, you might stop calling me a liar.”

Cortland looked up just long enough to scowl at him before he turned his attention to the photo. He froze. He brought the photo closer to his face. He squinted. It couldn’t be. But it was. It was a photo of Rarity Belle. It was a photo of Rarity Belle, and she was standing in front of the intertwined Pear and Apple trees planted by his grandparents. She was smiling at the camera, a pale orange skinned baby with vibrant purple curls in her arms.

“Thi- This…” He sputtered, “That’s my family’s farm! That’s- This is a picture of me.

“I can assure you,” Said Crisp, “it is me with my mother. Turn it over.” He snatched the photo and turned it so that they could read the words on the back.

Cortland blinked, then read, “ Rarity Belle and Crispin Apple, four weeks old, Sweet Apple Acres. 2021. I- I was born…. I was born May 2nd, 2021.”

“That’s-” Crisp looked at him strangely, “That’s my birthday.”

“My Ma’s name is Applejack.” Cortland said quietly, “She asked Rarity to marry her and she said no… does… are we? I’m so confused.”

“...Cortland, I think... we might be… twins?”

The other boy scoffs loudly, “Don’t be stupid. This is obviously a coincidence. My Ma would have told me. Rarity Belle left us, left Canterlot forever ago. No way I have a brother and my Ma lets him go. No way I have a brother and Ma doesn’t tell me.”

Crispin narrows his eyes, “So what? Rarity Belle is my mother. You said your mom told you she was your mom too. We look alike, we have the same birthday and, at least according to your mother, we share a parent. I’d call that twins, wouldn’t you?”

Cortland glares at him; the dinner bell ringing saves him from having to come up with an argument.