• Published 13th Dec 2021
  • 861 Views, 72 Comments

Parent Trap - PhantomBulwark



Rarity and Applejack have been apart a long time. And they're... content... with that. However, it seems that fate, and the will of two teenage boys, will change that.

  • ...
6
 72
 861

Homesick

The two mothers spent the better part of the afternoon talking but it quickly became apparent that they were talking in circles. The only real options they had were the ones they had discussed with the boys. Just as Rarity had always known, Applejack would not leave Sweet Apple Acres. And she herself had no intention of moving back to Canterlot. Move back and see that conniving trollop hanging off her every time we see each other…not likely. Eventually they both agreed to part ways and talk to their boys separately.



It was not going well.



“Crispin, darling,” Rarity pleaded, “please be reasonable. You know we cannot just uproot and move to Canterlot.”



Why not?” he growled back, “give me one good reason we couldn’t move home right now!”



Home. Rarity sighed, “Canterlot is not our home, my darling boy… It hasn’t been in a very long time.”



“Yes it is!” He insisted earnestly, “it feels more like home than anywhere I’ve ever been Mother.” He sank miserably onto a couch and stared blankly at the generic hotel furniture. “It feels like I belong there. It feels like I belong on Sweet Apple Acres. I love you, you’re my Mother but… for the first time in my life I feel… whole. I’ve spent my entire life feeling like something was missing, and now I have it. And all you can tell me is that I can’t keep my family. All because you’re afraid.”



Rarity sputtered, unable to think of a response. Her mind clung to that last word… is that what I am? Am I afraid? She sat down next to him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, “you’ve always known me better than I know myself. What is it you think I’m afraid of?”



“The same thing we all are I think… you’re afraid of getting hurt.”



Applejack’s head spun painfully. Rarity and Vignette, the boys, her friends, the failing farm; it all ran in circles in her thoughts. Vignette was still out with her parents, she had switched from yelling to the silent treatment. I hate that I’m glad she’s not talking to me.



She didn’t register the door opening or Cortland’s presence until he sat down next to her. “You okay Ma?”



Tears gathered in the corners of her eyes but she swallowed it all and sighed, “I’m alright, son. You boys are just makin’ all this a mite difficult right now. I don’t wanna break your hearts but I also don’t think you’re gonna get what you’re anglin’ for either.”



“What do you mean?”




“Sugarcube, I’m not as clueless as I seem. You boys are trying every way in the world to get me and your Mom back together… ain’t ya?”



He blushed, “you mad Ma?”



She laughed, she couldn’t help it, “Son, you are a sight. But honey, your Mom hasn’t loved me in a long time. I know you want me to be happy but this isn’t just about me… Rarity has her career, her dream. And I- I have mine. Couture and Farmland just don’t go together.”



“They could. They could if ya’ll would just- you just gotta try Ma! Vignette is the worst. She’s playin’ you for a fool.”



That stopped AJ cold, she narrowed her eyes, “you’re on this again? Boy, Vignette has been nothin’ but helpful to us all. She’s my fiancée and I need you to understand that. Every kid wants their parents together son, but not every set of parents are meant to be. Did your Aunt Dash put you up to this? She’s been telling all kinds of tales. Boy, Vignette is trying to help me keep the farm afloat.”



“And that means she’s right for you?” He rose without waiting for a response and stormed out the door.



An awkward Sunset poked her head into the still open door, “you okay AJ?”



“You gonna bad mouth my fiancée too?”



Sunset shut the door gently behind her and took the seat across the lunch bar from her friend. “No. I think you’ve heard enough of that lately. We’ve all made our opinions clear and I’m sorry for that. You are the only person in the world whose opinion on this really matters… if you love her then that’s good enough for me.”



“And if… if I don’t?”



Sunset’s head jerked up, “did you pay for a mini bar?”



“Er… yeah?”



“Good.” She turned and yanked several small brown bottles from the mini fridge under the bar. “I have a feeling this is a whiskey conversation.” She poured them each two fingers from the little bottles of scotch. “Should I call the others?”



“I’d rather you not… Sunset I feel like I’m being torn in two…”



“Alright… let’s try something then. When I was in Prance, I met this artist, he was from Canterlot too. He said something to me I’ll never forget.” She took a gulp from her glass without so much as a wince. “I asked him how he could stand to be away from home. I was homesick for Canterlot every day. No matter how beautiful my pictures were or how well the galleries were doing- all I wanted was home.”



“Sunset? No offense but how is this supposed to help?” AJ sipped from her glass, “I’m living in Canterlot; I’m not homesick.”



“Aren’t you? Let me finish,” she paused to see if she would be interrupted again. “Great. So anyway, I asked him why he wasn’t homesick and he says ‘why would I be?’ And he points out this girl I'd always seen him with and says, ‘that’s my Bella. She’s my home. I can’t be homesick for anyplace, so long as she’s with me. Do you miss Canterlot? Or do you miss someone in Canterlot?’ That’s when I figured it out. I wasn’t missing home. I was missing the people; Twilight, you, Fluttershy, Pinks and Dash… So, now I’m asking you AJ. Are you homesick for someone?”



“I… I don’t know. My head and heart… they’re both yankin’ me back and forth like a tug-o-war. How do I know if what I’m feelin’ is real or if I’m just… hurtin’ for what could’ve been?”




They stared at one another for a moment before Sunset drained her glass and pushed it aside. “If you could have anything in the world right now, without anyone getting hurt or the risk of you getting your heart broken; what would you want? What’s your ideal future AJ?”



My ideal future, she thought, what’s my ideal future? “…I think you outta pour us another drink Sunny.”