• Published 10th Dec 2021
  • 1,080 Views, 22 Comments

The Informant's Job - Im a B O X



Rarely is an informant's job easy. Often, it is shrouded with mystery and secrecy. Except for when the time's are up...

  • ...
5
 22
 1,080

In Line with Our Interest's

The Next Day, Ponyville, Sugarcube Corner…


“I thought we agreed that YOU would be leading our finance! We need the bits to have a roof on top of our heads!” Dr. Caballeron bellowed to his hench ponies.

To his dismay, although he had left his life of crime a long while back, that doesn’t mean he was scot-free from his old folks. And much to his already thinly threaded lifestyle, the biggest of his financial backers just came into town. The town of Ponyville, where he was currently “hiding”, was a fairly tame town when nothing interesting happened, where he could live outside the prying eyes of ponies raining from the nobility.

He had enough encounters and heard stories about a group of four ponies, rumor has it that in the eyes of the public, they ran a business only found in fair tails, starting from scratch and is now challenging the economic strength of some of the smaller nations outside of Equestria, doing the good that most nobility and royalty would refuse to do for the right reason or (on occasion) price, but outside the view of the greater majority and the princesses, they ran a ruthless empire of trafficking and illegal trade, and that was the tamest of the rumors, who knows what the true length is when it came to these sources.

To know full well not to mess with their inner workings directly, was something he kept in mind, after all, they were the ones who not only financially supported his expeditions, despite their somewhat criminal nature, they also financed part of his higher education and training for his hench ponies, that’s how they formed their little band after all. Being a Doctor, no matter what field, wasn’t any easy and cheap feet to enroll and study in, much more so the challenge to graduate with a degree and major in said field

So to say that his backer partially owned and had a leash on him and his group is a somewhat painful statement to be reminded of. Despite what its implications might be to him and the general public.

“Ugh,” he groaned, he had to make do with the situation. Looking around in the small bakery, he and his mates had decided to meet up here. And for the most part, everything went well and fine until one of them decided to describe a familiar description of their backers, and only then did he lose his cool.

“Look, just make sure to lay low for now. I don’t want, or even dare, try figuring out their reasons to come here.”

“But why though? We have captured more ponies, including Daring Do on several occasions! We could just do that, so what’s stopping us? He is just one pony, right?” Biff, one of his hench ponies, pointed out.

Looking him eye to eye, then towards the rest of his gang, Caballeron realized it had been a long while since all five members of his used-to-be criminal gang had this sort of meet-up. Biff, Rogue, and Withers were always with him, Pickpocket was busy gathering info and “funding”, and Rosy Thorn… she had bad blood with him after she turned tails with a big catch that was supposed to be divided by all 6 of them. The only reason she was even there was because of coincidence, but the more he thought about it, the more eerily irked he was that such things might line up.

“Hmm…” Rose Thorn began humming a tune of her own. Attracting the attention of the other stallions, she heeds them no mind as she continued slurping her chocolate milkshake.

“So what’s it going to be boss?” Rogue asked, with him, Biff, and Withers never relenting as Pickpocket kept an open eye for the group.

“I mean, we all got a life now, away from crime…” Withers added.

Unable to remark, Caballeron froze up for a moment. That is until he again remembered why he was being anxious in the first place.

“It isn’t about the safety of you ponies I’m concerned about, frankly, I’m concerned about what hasn’t been done yet, because there is, clearly, more than what meets the eye-” but before the doctor could finish, he was interrupted by the chimes of the front of the establishment going off, signaling a new patron had arrived.

Instinctively, everyone in the room at that time looked in one direction only, including Caballeron. And to his unfortunate dismay, he would immediately regret looking as he recognized the coat and mane coloring, one he had dreaded for a long while.

Entering Sugarcube Corner was none other than Turncoat, owner of the “Phantom Fortune”. Following him was another stallion that Caballeron had a run-in with, Hard Flick who was by definition a mercenary turned CEO of one of the most profitable PMC in Equestria and beyond.

Immediately by instinct, Caballeron looked away, unable to think straight as both entering stallions merely stared in his direction and said nothing as they made their way onto the counter to order whatever was in their mind.

“Yo, Doc, you alright?” Pickpocket asked, noticing how he had frozen up at the sight of the new patrons.

“I uh…” Looking back, he knew he was running on borrowed time, and he made sure to make the most out of it. “Listen, I might have to leave soon for a long trip abroad, I have to finish up loose ends, so while I’m here, make sure you ponies don’t go screwing around like last time.” He said, as he stood and made his way towards the two stallions. Hearing their disgruntled dismay and apprehension of his group, he gave them a gaze that, to some extent, brought out an image of his old life of crime, one that at least brought some semblance of easiness to the group he was leaving behind.


Approaching the only private room that Sugarcube had to offer, he knocked on it as he waited for a response. Shortly after, he saw a peephole open and a door quickly opening to let him in.

“So glad we could meet again, Doc!” Flick said, an overly cheerful smile adorning his face as he allowed the doctor to enter the room.

“The same cannot be said.” He replied as he entered, genuine hate that fueled his anger towards the stallion did not help as he spotted the next one who just sat across, a box of brownies to the side and milkshakes about to be drunk by the two aforementioned stallions.

“So, I see you’ve left your life of crime behind,” Turncoat said, although Caballeron expected him to be disinterested, it only fueled his apprehension to the tone of the two stallions as if they were waiting for him to just spill the beans.

“Believe me, Mr. Turncoat, I didn’t forget about last time,” Caballeron responded.

“Then we could skip the recap,” he promptly replied, pulling a briefcase that had just been out of sight. “I believe you still remember the debt you have accumulated in bits, correct?”

A reluctant nod from him, and Turncoat continued. Meanwhile, Hard Flick had decided to munch on the treats before them, leaving the two stallions to set their problems straight.

“I do, and I believe the artifacts that I had provided from the expeditions you funded would have covered the cost of your endeavor, I am merely doing my share of the deal,” he said, hoping that Turncoat would fold, but knowing the stallion and watching him play a game of poker, a deeper part of his mind knew that he would call him on the bluff.

A smile and brief silence had hung as Turncoat was thinking deeply, before he eventually replied. “Have you ever wondered why we even supported you? Despite the results of your endeavor in our service? To find a place akin to the ‘thrill of the hunt’?”

“What do you mean?”

Opening and spying the contents of the case before closing it again, Turncoat observed Caballeron’s movements.

“You’re not in any trouble we are here for an entirely different reason, not here to collect the bits that you, undoubtedly, owe us, but instead to turn all of those debts in a favor.”

“What do you mean?” Caballeron asked, shifting in place in apprehension before the stallion and ignoring Hard Flick. “I mean, the likes of you only care about the bits you make, how you play the game is reflective of your greed, it’s a miracle how Daring Do never considered such a revelation. Even the lack of Celestia’s intervention in your business is a miracle to how it hasn’t shut down, yet.”

“Now ain’t that a snippet of irony coming from some pony with a criminal history.” Hard Flick pointed out but was ignored by both stallions.

“Let me tell you this, I’ll let you in on a little secret,” Turncoat said, setting the case aside as he drew closer onto Caballeron’s muzzle to the point that he swore he could hear the cold and controlled rhythmic pattern of Turncoat’s heartbeat. “We do what we do because we can, and what we can do, we must do, understand?”

“I- Ah…” Caballeron suddenly tensed up from the words, unable to speak any retort for that matter, Turncoat beat him to another line.

“Let me tell you this in a simpler way,” He said, withdrawing to a much more relaxed position. “We get what we paid for, what we deserve. The same goes for every creature that has crossed paths with us.”

Processing what has been said, Caballeron still couldn’t figure out what Turncoat was trying to explain, that is until Hard Flick decided to spill the beans and be frank with him.

“What he’s saying is that, we have a… well, shall we say, ‘Final Request’, and this would be your chance to repay your debt to us.”

A moment was given for Caballeron to think over it, it wasn’t every day that an opportunity like this presented itself, these ponies would pay in full and would, in more ways than one, be a benefit for him in most ways.

“What do you need?” he finally asked, still being hesitant, but he knew it was a deal he couldn’t just pass up, not for what it entailed. “For all I know, I could have the Royal Guards chasing me to the ends of Equestria if my crew gets involved.”

The pair of stallions shared a nod before they continued, finally appearing to loosen up because of the doctor’s willingness.

Listen, just do what we ask, please, we don’t want to call up Clusterfuck to fix the shit that’s about to go down.” Hard Flick responded, now in a somewhat pleading tone.

Hesitantly, Caballeron decided to ask what was going to be asked. “So what is it do we need to do, just saying…”

“Well, just listen carefully,” Turncoat said, withdrawing what seemed to be a projection crystal. As it lit up, it projected what seemed to be a map of sorts, with some scribbles at its side. “Were asking something very simple from you, we want you to create a distraction, you’re crew will pose as though they were possessed by the alicorn amulet, the rest should simple in the plan we would give you on the day, so you and the crew would get caught by the end, but by then, you already served your purpose, don’t worry, we got everything that you might need, you just need to follow execute this detailed plan that I’m sure you lot could manage.”

As he finished up, the crystal changed projections to show the laid-out plan. Admittedly, it was much more complex than what he would anticipated, simply put, it was a detailed route of the main Canterlot palace and where each of his members would have to go.

“Is that all? We just run around and buy you some time?” He asked, clearly skeptical at the straightforward proposal.

His skepticism wasn’t unfounded, Turncoat and Flick knew this and rightfully anticipated the question.

“We have plenty of different ways to go around with our plan,” Hard Flick said, taking the time to speak in between his mumblings of eating. “It just so happens that you and your group provide the simplest way, the path of least resistance, so to speak...”

‘I see…’ Caballeron thought, although he couldn’t see the full scope of their plan, he knew it was probably bigger than him in any manner.

“And there are no strings attached to this deal?” he asked.

“What are we?” Turncoat asked, extending a piece of paper with a pen by its side, ready to be signed. “Everything is written in the contract, your group’s finally one if you will, and after that, you’ll be on a clean slate, as well as the rest of Equestria.”

Caballeron looked over the papers, actually taking the time to read their contents. Only if he was a bit more observant, he could have seen the sly grins that the two their stallions had in the room, already having known how this entire thing would go down.

Slowly, he raised it, and with hesitation, he signed his name on behalf of his group and himself. Unknowing what he had got himself into.

As a sign of gratitude, a hoof-shake was shared between the three, before Turncoat and Flick decided to leave for other matters.


At an undisclosed safe house, around the same time…

“So, you think they’d be stupid enough to sign the deal?” Fine Print asked, reading a book as the time ticked by.

“Probably, the whole world is at peace, they’re all preoccupied with thinking ways to preserve that peace; there’s no need to think of anything else for the moment,” Formosa said.

“Even then, we can’t risk them thinking it some kind of maniacal plot to overthrow Her Highness.” Print responded, his voice showing the hint of hesitance he had with the whole operation.

“Ah, you worry too much,” he replied, “everything is already provided, either by our means or by help from the guys up top, so don’t sweat it.”

His reassurance seemed to ease the pony’s worries to some degree judging by his voice, but his papers still hid his expression.

“Well, to tell you the truth, the next phase-”

“Era.” Print corrected.

“Right, yeah, whatever, the next step in this experiment would be breaking down the fundamental pillar of this world, i.e. its magical element, and see the reactions from it, we got the go-ahead from Steadman, so we probably also have help from Mesa, the doctor, and maybe even another third-party.”

Walking around in the room, Formosa wasn’t in the best of situations, he had just finished reading the recent log from the higher-ups and it seemed like his job was being pressured for a faster outcome. Time was of the essence and if his track record was something to go by, he never felt comfortable when it came at the nick of time.

“Well, we can’t stay here forever,” Print said, finally doing something else apart from reading as he stood up to confront his friend. “We are nearing the end of this project, once we’re done, we’re home free!”

“Yes, yes. Jobs first, then we could enjoy the souls later.”

“Speaking of which, what are you gonna do with the new gal?” Print asked, suddenly receiving a cold shoulder from Formosa, who seemed to ignore his question. “Yo! You alright?”

“Wha- Oh, What I was going to do next?” he asked, calmly.

“Eh… yeah, that’s my question.”

“Well, I guess I’d have to teach her and just do what we’ve been doing for the last couple of years or so. I just need to find the time, between the work we have to do and the side gigs I have, it’s been a tricky ride.” He said, looking down as if to contemplate something else.

“Well, whatever that may be, we’ll be here with you right till the end!” Print ecstatically responded.

“So! we’ve got some errands to run with, so just stick to the plan until the higher-ups give us any update.”

“Gotcha.”

And so, like any other time, they soon parted way. With Print staying behind in the safe house while Formosa went out to find his protégé.

Although, both would not realize just how constrained their jobs would be in the following weeks to come.

Author's Note:

Been a while since I last updated this (and I am sorry for the wait).

This is more of a "stop-gap" chapter since right after this chapter there would be a bit of a time skip (don't worry, I won't leave anything to hang... maybe?)