• Published 29th Aug 2021
  • 1,103 Views, 3 Comments

Twilight Sparkle, Princess-Regent of the Crystal Empire - Eltirions



Twilight Sparkle becomes the regent of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
5
 3
 1,103

Chapter 8: Title 4

They dined together that night. Not only was Sunset a friend, she was also a pretty good conversation partner. Ponies that could keep up with Twilight in terms of magical skill and knowledge were rare.

‘’So, Flurry,’’ Sunset said, tapping out of her conversation with Twilight to look at the foal. ‘’I hear you’re pretty powerful.’’

Flurry nodded. ‘’Sunburst and auntie have helped me with that,’’ she replied. Her voice hitched a little at Sunburst’s name; like so many others, the stallion hadn’t survived Sombra’s conquest of the Crystal Empire.

Twilight reached out with her wing and ran it down Flurry’s back. Flurry relaxed slightly, leaning back against as soon as Twilight pulled her wing away.

‘’That’s good,’’ Sunset said. ‘’Power is dangerous. Remember that.’’

Flurry didn’t look like she understood it fully, but she nodded anyway. Twilight inclined her head in acknowledgement of Sunset’s lesson. They fell back into amicable conversation, until the food had been eaten and taken away by the servants.

‘’Come on Flurry, time for your bath and then bed,’’ Twilight called to her niece.

‘’’kay, auntie,’’ Flurry agreed, slipping off the chair onto the floor. ‘’Goodnight, uncle Spike. Goodnight, Sunset.’’

‘’Night, Flurry.’’

‘’Sleep well, Flurry.’’

|-x-X-x-|

‘’So,’’ Star began the conversation, because breakfast was the right time to have this conversation, obviously.

The silence that followed was precisely what he had expected to happen. Everyone in the room, himself included, was looking anywhere but at each other, because having a healthy conversation was apparently hard.

‘’I’ll start?’’ Crystal finally offered, because she had always been the more emotionally stable of them two. When Star gave her the go-ahead in the shape of an incline from his head, she continued, ‘’I really like you, Sweetie,’’ as she turned to face the other mare, who blushed. ‘’And… I want to try this out, see if it works.’’

‘’That’s what I want to do too,’’ Sweetie softly returned.

Great, that solved one problem. Now it was Star’s turn. ‘’We’re dating now,’’ he spoke up.

‘’I figured,’’ Crystal said, because of course she was back to their usual snark a moment after she’d begun dating. ‘’Congratulations.’’

‘’You too,’’ Rarity spoke up. Star just nodded once.

Rarity pressed up against his side. If he had wings, he would have put one around her. He didn’t have wings, so he did the next best thing: a simple touch of telekinesis on her back.

Some compared the two to each other, the unicorn’s version of a pegasi wing-hug. Star didn’t quite agree: telekinesis didn’t confer the same touch as feathers did, it just wasn’t possible like that, sadly.

Rarity craned her head and pushed it under his neck. Star, in return, placed a kiss on the tip of her head.

‘’Urgh,’’ he heard Crystal gag. His eyes flicked to her, one eyebrow raised in silent judgment. Do it, I dare you.

Crystal snorted, then pulled Sweetie into a long kiss. Hypocrite. Not that Star cared. He had Rarity, and for now, that was enough for him to be content.

‘’Honestly…’’ Rarity muttered under her breath, but there was no mistaking the amusement in her eyes.

‘’They’re young,’’ Star remarked dryly. ‘’Let them be.’’

Crystal broke her mouth away from Sweetie’s to glare at him. ‘’Yeah, well you can go-’’ Sweetie pulled her back in for another kiss.

|-x-X-x-|

Luna would have to ask Celestia what the nobles were snorting, and where she could get it. Being so disconnected from reality for once would be a novel experience.

She unceremoniously collapsed on a set of pillows the moment the doors of her room clicked shut. Who knew that running a nation could be so tiring?

In hindsight, Luna somewhat regretted her decision to all-but-force Celestia to go on a two-week holiday to the Spa Islands, away from all her duties and work. Now she had to shoulder the burden, and though she did so without complaint, that didn’t mean she had to like it.

Someone knocked on the door. Three quick knocks. Important, then.

‘’Come in,’’ Luna called out as she moved to a more regal position.

One of her guards entered. ‘’A reply from Olenia, princess.’’

Luna took the letter with a nod and slid it open with a touch of her magic.

Your highnesses, Princesses Celestia and Luna,

On behalf of the Kingdom of Olenia, it is my great honour to become a member of the United Ponies Front. Thank you for giving us this opportunity to become much closer. For too long, Equestria and Olenia have kept away from each other, and this is a good step to recitifife that.

I shall schedule a visit to Vanhoover for somewhere in the coming month. If you could join us, we could sign the full agreement there, even if it is already in effect.

Signed,

Queen Velvet Jelzek of Olenia

Well, would you look at that.

‘’Thank you,’’ Luna said to the guard. ‘’We will pen our response on the morrow. You may go.’’

‘’By your leave, princess.’’ The guard bowed, then left.

Luna considered. A visit to Vanhoover honestly wasn’t that bad of an idea, and it was easier than having Velvet come to Canterlot or travelling to Hjortland. Yes, Vanhoover was the ideal meeting place.

The letter she had promised could wait. One would have to go to Twilight too; another to Jet Set, in New Mareland. But first, Luna had a nation to protect the dreams of.

|-x-X-x-|

Twilight closed the door to Flurry’s room as gently as she could. She lingered outside for a few more moments, then departed after nodding to the guards.

Destination: her study. Sunset had suggested they continue their work there, once the evening had come. Twilight had easily agreed; the study was many times more comfortable than the council room.

And just like agreed, when Twilight entered the room Spike and Sunset were both already there, seated in chairs and with a stack of paperwork dominating the table in front of them.

‘’All good?’’ Sunset asked Twilight.

‘’Yes.’’ Twilight nodded once. How kind of Sunset to ask, she thought as she took her seat. ‘’Flurry’s probably asleep already.’’

‘’She doesn’t have trouble with that?’’

‘’She used to,’’ Twilight admitted, seeing no reason not to tell Sunset. ‘’But not anymore. I don’t think she’s over it, per se, but…’’

‘’I understand,’’ Sunset said softly.

‘’Enough moping,’’ Spike declared a moment later. ‘’We have to continue our work.’’ The dragon’s grin did nothing to hide his tiredness.

‘’Quite,’’ Sunset agreed with a dry chuckle, before turning serious. ‘’Twilight, I’m going to need a lot of money and other resources for this to work.’’

Of course. Twilight nodded. ‘’I’m afraid that the Empire is rather lacking… everything, at the moment.’’

‘’I understand,’’ Sunset said, ‘’but I’ll need some starting funds, if nothing else.’’

‘’I’ll see what can be done,’’ Twilight replied. ‘’How much bits are we talking about?’’

‘’Hmm…’’ Sunset rubbed her chin. ‘’I’m not sure. A lot.’’

‘’I see,’’ Twilight deadpanned. ‘’I’ll be sure to pass that on to the Treasurer.’’

Spike snickered, while Sunset chuckled. ‘’Do that.’’

‘’In all seriousness,’’ Twilight continued, ‘’can you give me an estimate, at least?’’

‘’Five hundred thousand.’’

Sweet Celestia. Spike whistled, impressed. ‘’I… see,’’ Twilight said. ‘’I did the finances for the Empire two weeks ago. I’m going to have to redo the entire budget.’’

‘’I’m sorry.’’ Sunset gave Twilight a sympathetic smile. ‘’Five hundred thousand is already stretching it, I’m afraid.’’

‘’Okay.’’ She could work with that. Rebalancing the numbers was hard, but not impossible. And in the worst case, Twilight could always request a loan from Equestria. Even if that was setting a bad precedent. The Crystal Empire was its own nation, not merely an extension of Equestria, and Twilight would see to it that that distinction was maintained.

‘’Alright. Let’s get to work.’’