• Published 29th Aug 2021
  • 1,103 Views, 3 Comments

Twilight Sparkle, Princess-Regent of the Crystal Empire - Eltirions



Twilight Sparkle becomes the regent of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
5
 3
 1,103

Chapter 11: Title 7

The trip north to Vanhoover had taken eight days, during which Luna had held several discussions with Captain Skyheart, as well as other members of the ship’s crew. Once they got past the initial awkwardness, Luna had fallen into the camaraderie she had shared with the soldiers a thousand years ago, and she had had several intriguing conversations with some of the sailors. They held opinions on subjects that Luna would never have considered otherwise but still made sense to her.

She was almost sad that it had come to an end.

But ended it had. And now she was sitting in the town hall of Vanhoover, waiting for queen Velvet to arrive. From what had been communicated to her, Velvet was taking a train from Hjortland, acting as a sort of impromptu royal tour before arriving at Vanhoover. Ingenious, Luna had to admit.

‘’Velvet’s train has entered the city limits, your majesty,’’ one of her guards informed her.

Luna nodded regally. ‘’Ensure she remains safe.’’ A simple command, really.

‘’As you command.’’ The guard retreated again.

The mayor of Vanhoover let out an explosive sigh. ‘’Apologies, your majesty,’’ she offered a moment later. ‘’I am just not used to ponies suddenly appearing next to me.’’

‘’We understand,’’ Luna soothed. ‘’’Tis but an instinctual reaction.

‘’Yes, indeed,’’ the mayor agreed hastily. ‘’Forgive me, your majesty, but this is all so exciting!’’

Luna nodded. ‘’We agree,’’ she allowed. ‘’Let us hope all goes well.’’

And there was little chance that would not be the case. Velvet wanted this, Luna wanted this: it was just a matter of signing the papers and then that would be that. Olenia would be a definitive part of the United Creatures Front, and by extension Equestria’s sphere of influence.

It wouldn’t keep Chrysalis from trying to expand. But Olenia and Equestria together were stronger than alone. If it came to war, they would stand or fall together.

Despite what some thought, Luna did not want war. She was a realist: war was a part of life, and Equestria was not prepared for a war. The Crystal War had proved as much. Even if it had been quick, there had still been nearly two million dead beings by the end of it, including her niece and cousin-in-law.

‘’Your majesty, queen Velvet has arrived at the train station and is making her way here,’’ a guard suddenly said.

Luna inclined her head at him in acknowledgement.

"Here goes nothing," the mayor muttered.

|-x-X-x-|

"And this is our classroom," Sweetie explained.

"Lucky," Crystal said. "We have some pretty good stuff up in Canterlot too, but this is even nicer."

"Really?" Sweetie questioned, looking sideways at Crystal.

Crystal smiled at her. "Really," she affirmed. She hesitated for a moment, before pressing a kiss to Sweetie's nose. "And of course, Canterlot doesn't have you."

Sweetie blushed and smiled. It was a sight Crystal adored. She was just so cute!

"Ahem."

Oh for Sun's sake.

Crystal turned around and looked back into the hallway to see Starlight standing a few meters away from them. "There are foals running around in this school," Starlight warned.

"I," Crystal replied, "am well aware of that. But which foal hasn't seen someone give another pony a nose-kiss before?"

Starlight's eyebrows wrinkled. "I suppose you have a point," she allowed. "Crystal, I actually wanted to talk to you. Mind joining me in my office?"

Crystal was on a date with her marefriend and wasn't planning on stopping said date, thank you very much. "Why don't we talk in this classroom instead?"

"I'll go," Sweetie offered.

Crystal shook her head. "You're not going. Whatever Starlight has to say to me, you can hear as well."

"I don't think-" Starlight began.

"And you should. The consequences of you not thinking about things are severe," Crystal couldn't help but point out.

Starlight recoiled as if struck.

"Crystal," Sweetie said softly, "that wasn't very nice of you."

And she had to admit that her marefriend was right. Crystal bowed her head slightly. "Apologies."

"It's fine," Starlight said quickly. "Let's just go inside."

Fine by her. Crystal slipped into a chair close to the teacher's desk, Sweetie sitting next to her. ‘’What did you want to talk about, Starlight?’’ Crystal was in no mood for games.

Starlight averted her eyes, looking out the window. ‘’Why are you here?’’ she finally asked. ‘’I mean, I get why Star is here. But why are you here as well?’’

‘’If I knew that,’’ Crystal snarked, ‘’I would tell you. Seeing as I don’t, well…’’

‘’I didn’t mean to offend,’’ Starlight needlessly apologized. ‘’I’m just intensely curious.’’ She glanced at the desk in front of Crystal. ‘’By the way, what does your cutie mark stand for? I can’t figure it out.’’

Why did her fucking cutie mark have to attract so much fucking attention? It was just a yellow circle with white stripes around it and a black dot in the centre- Okay, so maybe Crystal could understand the attention, but it was still annoying as tartarus.‘’It stands,’’ she ground out, shifting slightly, ‘’for my talent, that being light.’’ She looked at one of the lamps hanging on the roof. After a second, the light shot out of it (why it was on during the afternoon, Celestia only knew) and flew to the tip of Crystal’s horn, shaping into a small ball.

‘’That’s amazing,’’ Sweetie said, awed.

‘’I’m glad you think so,’’ Crystal said, idly sending the orb of light back into the lamp. Starlight was staring at her like Crystal had just told her she was the incest child of Celestia and Luna.

‘’I see,’’ she finally managed.

Crystal slipped out of the chair and put her hoof around Sweetie’s. ‘’Come on love. The tour isn’t over yet.’’

|-x-X-x-|

In the end, Spike indeed hadn't fit into the store, and he had ordered from the outside while the foals waited. Then, to avoid being surrounded by crowds, he had quickly retreated back to the playground, where they were now all eating their ice cream.

‘’So, I haven’t caught your names yet,’’ Spike said between licks from his gem ice cream.

‘’I’m Sparkling Gem,’’ the one colt in the group said immediately. He had a light blue coat and a yellow and green mane, with lighter yellow eyes.

‘’I’m Sky Flower,’’ a filly with a sky-blue mane, white coat and blue eyes said.

The filly with an hazel brown coat, red eyes and a redder mane, said, ‘’I’m Cherry Heart.’’

‘’My name is Smoky Blaze, sir,’’ a filly with a black mane, blue eyes and a dark blue coat said.

‘’I’m Nova,’’ a purple filly with a darker purple coat and lavender eyes said.

The last filly remaining had a white coat, blue eyes and a golden mane. ‘’I’m Sunny Petal,’’ he said.

Spike nodded. Committing all those names to memory would be a hassle, but he would manage. ‘’It’s a pleasure to meet you all,’’ he said with a reassuring smile. ‘’Are you enjoying your ice cream?’’

‘’It’s very nice, uncle!’’ Flurry chirped.

‘’Thanks for buying us ice cream, prince Spike,’’ Sparkling added.

‘’It was my pleasure,’’ Spike replied truthfully. And he didn’t mind it at all. ‘’I-’’

‘’SPIKE!’’

Twilight galloped into the garden, Sunset next to her. Both mares were looking panicked.

‘’What is it?’’ Spike asked as he rose from the ground.

‘’The Changelings have crossed the border!’’

What!?

"We must get inside and establish communications with the border and Canterlot," Sunset said.

"What happened?" Spike inquired.

"Explosion in Vanhoover, and then reports of Changeling troops crossing the border," Sunset replied hastily. ‘’We don’t know much, but we’re at war.’’

This was terrible. ‘’Alright, everyone stay calm,’’ Spike ordered. ‘’Flurry, come with me.’’

‘’But what about my friends?’’

‘’They can come too,’’ Spike replied and tried not to smile at how Flurry had called them friends. ‘’Now come!’’

Flurry instantly clustered to Twilight’s side, while the other foals all-but-clung to Spike. He was grateful for his increase in size; one of the few good things to result from the past months.