• Published 27th Nov 2021
  • 3,098 Views, 197 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 4) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion and Pony Guard all seek to protect Ponyville all while learning more the ways of friendship as the threat of Scar grows.

  • ...
7
 197
 3,098

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 29: Testing 1, 2, 3

Episode 29:

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

Twilight's eyes examined the papers she is holding in her magic, while Ono floated in front of her. He was currently holding a book with his legs to which he is showing slight struggle in holding up while flying with Kion reading a book and watching.

“After Luna was banished to the moon, Celestia needed protective forces, so Earth, unicorn, and Pegasi formed the E.U.P. Guard of the Protective Pony Platoons. And, at the celebration of the first Celestial year of peace, an elite flying squadron performed, headed by General Firefly, who later named the group the Wonderbolts. Commander Easyglider established flight choreography that is still used by the Wonderbolts today.”

Ono said all with sweat on his forehead before letting go of the book he was holding unable to hold on anymore. He then gasped so he can catch his breath before asking the alicorn who is currently scanning the papers along with hoisting a red pen.

“How did I do?”

Twilight was currently making the final markings all while uttering “Mmm-hmm.” and “hmm.” along the way before looking up at Ono who anxiously hopes for the best results and Kion watches on hoping he at least did well.

“Well…a few near second-guessing along with some deep thinking along the way…” She began calmly while looking at the anxious bird in the eyes still sweating nervously as he awaits for the final verdict. “…and all I can say is…” She presents a paper showing all check marks along with a marking that had Ono delighted yet still shocked to the core. “…you’ve done well, Ono.” She said with a smile.

“Done well? Done well?” Ono exclaimed when the alicorn hands her the paper that shows that he got a 100%. “I’ve done awesome!”

“You know the mark of a true hero is humility…” She eyed him seriously. “But yes, you did…” She then said while smirking playfully. “…Awesome!” Ono playfully nudged his wing into her shoulder in response before they both shared a friendly laugh together.

Another thing in life that’s good to see between both Twilight and Ono since the former is really lightening up to humor and smiling more and more with every passing day.

“Congratulations, Ono!” Kion happily said to the Guard’s Keenest of Sight. “You come in to that test with that mind set, I guarantee you’ll become a Wonderbolt!”

Just then a blur of blue and rainbow came speeding by and ended up sending Ono backwards into the nearby bushes and sending the papers flying around the front of the treehouse.

“Unlike some ponies.” Twilight stated looking on very annoyed at the Pegasus while Ono does the same after emerging from the bushes before using her magic to gather up the papers while grunting in frustration. "How in Equestria does that pony expect to pass her history of the Wonderbolts exam tomorrow if she's wasting time flying?!"

“I have no idea! But considering she’s been doing this ever since her exam date has been announced that’s going to prove getting passing her entrance exam a problem.” Kion answered trying to understand the speedy pony’s approach.

Ono then looked on and got and idea at the same time Twilght smirked and flapped her wings. “Well, I'm just gonna fly right up to her and tell her what I think about her lackadaisical approach to studying!" He said as he flew up towards her direction. "Won't she be surprised!"

"Surprise!"

Ono squawked when Rainbow Dash appeared right in front of her "Hapana! What the…? How did you—"

"Puh-lease, Ono." Rainbow scoffed as she rested her back on a nearby cloud, for which Ono moved to float over her head. "That was the worst sneak attack ever."

"Wha? But—"

"I saw you giving me the stink-eye from the ground and heard you flying towards me and muttering from a mile away."

Just then Twilight appeared right behind her and startled her in return. "Well, if you heard me "muttering", then you must know what I was "muttering" about."

“Huh, what?!” She exclaimed and ended up jumping from the clouds before regaining her composure. “Yeah, yeah, the Wonderbolts history test. No big deal." she then leaned backwards and fell from the cloud, falling gently with her front legs behind her head. Twilight and Ono narrowed their eyes and flew down after her as the two headed back towards the ground where Kion is standing.

"No. Big deal. Really big deal. It's a test! A test that will determine if you can join the newly-formed Wonderbolts Reserves, and being part of the Wonderbolts Reserves means you'll have the opportunity to live your dream as a Wonderbolt! This is the most important test of your life!" Twilight seriously stated.

“And mine too!” Ono added in the same tone. “You’re not the only one who has to prepare for this test and don’t expect me to hand you the cheat codes just so you can get in easily!”

“I’m afraid they’re right.” Kion agreed. “If you want to become a Wonderbolt, you’re going to have apply seriously as much as Ono who’s been working alongside Twilight in preparing for this exam.”

Even still, the blue Pegasus rolled her eyes dismissing their valid concerns. "Come on you guys, not everybody gets all freaked out when things don’t go their way like you do." The three all give him questioning and somewhat offended looks in response to that remark. "I mean Twilight's freakouts are so epic, you sing whole freakout arias about freaking out. When Ono gets freaked out he goes all "Panic and Run! Panic and Run!" and Kion, you go baring your teeth and claws at anyone that really presses your buttons."

The three were left speechless in response and unable to come up with a good retort in response.

“Well, in my defense they worked my every nerves.”

“And I wouldn’t say “Panic and Run! But…”

Twilight narrowed her eyes before saying. "Fine, I may tend to take my tests a little seriously, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be studying for yours!" It was there an idea sprung in her mine when the alicorn's eyes and she smiled excitedly, "Oooh! And I know just the pony who can help you: me!"

“I like that!“ Ono approved with a nod. “She managed to help me out so surely she can do the same for you.” He then smiled when he thought of something. “In fact, I can help out too!”

“Me three!” Kion added. “I can help give some ideas of how I study for my tests!”

Just then the alicorn placed her hooves onto Rainbow before teleporting her inside the library ready to get started. All while an unamused and unexcited Rainbow Dash sits at her desk not sharing the same excitement as her alicorn friend.

“Sure. Fun."


During the first attempt of the studying session, Rainbow proceeded to snooze through it while wearing a pair of dark shades in an attempt to hide that from her. It took a large book landing right in front of her to wake her up and knock the shades off of her forehead.

"Wha– huh?"

"This is the most complete—" Twilight explained.

"And ginormous!" Rainbow added while eyeing said book in front of her.

"—book on the history of the Wonderbolts."

"Okay, but how am I supposed to get what's in there into here?" she pointed at the book and then at her head.

"With my handy-dandy study checklist, of course!" Twilight happily replied while levitating said list up to which had Rainbow groaning in response.

"Of course."

“With her and Kion’s help, we will try to help ensure that you pass this test!” The egret himself stated while flying beside her. “If I can lift an encyclopedia while taking the test and do well, I’m sure you can too.”

“Great.” She replied with the most unenthusiastic expression and tone she can muster.

"First up, reading and highlighting." Twilight stated just while handing Rainbow a yellow highlighter so she can mark the words that’ll help her single out the parts that’ll be crucial towards learning of what will be on the upcoming entrance exam.

Ono moved to pull out his clipboard of highlighted material so he can look at his highlighted notes before comparing his to Rainbow’s to see if she understands the concept too. Being a keen sighted bird means that he too can spot out crucial pointers that will asked of him when tested on it.

"Reading and highlighting is the foundation of any good study method. It allows the student to hone in and boil down on what's really important, separating the good from the bad, the wheat from the chaff, getting to the crux of things."

While he talked, Rainbow marked the words she thinks must be highlighted. After his brief explanation he briefly glanced over Rainbow’s shoulder to see her progress.

"Okay, Let's see what you've got so far!" He opened the book and had to turn aside to avoid blinding himself by all of the yellow highlighted words on the book. Every...single…one of them on the pages. "Well, by highlighting everything, you don't really separate the wheat from the chaff…" He said as he flipped through the pages, seeing more highlights and even a drawing of Rainbow herself. "Or the good from the bad." He then found a pretty bad drawing of himself along with Twilight, both stretching out through the entire page, "Hey, I am not that tall!"

Rainbow giggled just when Twilight and Kion move over to take a look at Rainbow's drawing to which had the latter nearly cracked up at both drawings before being glared at by both the alicorn and egret.

“Sorry.” Kion apologized with a slight chuckle.

Twilight sighed before pulling out her clipboard again. "Okay, Rainbow, clearly reading and highlighting is not your style of studying, so let's move on to the tried and true: History lecture!"

She moved towards her blackboard with a symbol drawing of the Wonderbolts emblem. Both Kion and Ono watched on intently where the former pulls out a notebook so he can some notes himself.

“Maybe if there’s something in there that I can help Rainbow out with…” He thought to himself as he prepared to write down what Twilight is about to show Rainbow Dash just when said pony raised up her hoof so she can ask a question.

"Yes, Rainbow?"

"Is it snack time?" she asked holding and opening up a lunch box she just had on her.

"No."

"Recess?" She asked now appearing outside the window with a soccer ball.

"No."

Rainbow groaned as she crawled towards her chair. "Can't we just watch the history of the Wonderbolts movie?!"

"No! Now, just get comfortable, and experience the magic of learning."

While Kion took the notes and Ono watched on, they both ignored the Pegasus pony’s attempt to get her out of this while Twilight begins writing on the chalkboard.

"Ahem. Prior to the great Celestia/Luna rift, there was no need for the Earth, Unicorn, Pegasi, or E.U.P., Guard."

Rainbow sighed and shook briefly tilted her stool. Noticing the squeaky sound it made, Rainbow saw this as an opportunity to distract herself from the lecture and started to tip back and forth on her chair to make, a good musical beat out of it.

"But after Luna's banishment, the Protective Pony Platoons were formed. On the anniversary of the first Celestial year of peace, a celebration was held."

While everyone else was focused on the lecture, Rainbow kept making noises with Owlowiscious hooting along to the sound and Spike playing along with a drum set while smiling unable to resist finding it funny himself.

"Headed by General Firefly, an elite team of aerial performers were chosen to help celebrate this auspicious occasion. The first performance was so full of energy, so highly charged, that magical lightning showered down on the crowd. Everypony was so filled with amazement and wonder that General Firefly dubbed them "the Wonderbolts"!"

Just when she made her magic create the Wonderbolts insignia and turned her back towards the others, she dropped her chalk when she saw what was happening behind her back. Kion once again couldn’t help but find it a bit amusing before moving to stop himself when Twilight glared at him again with a matching frown. At the same time both the dragon and owl both quickly darted out of the room when they saw that Twilight is now seeing what they are doing.

"Rainbow Dash!" Rainbow immediately stopped dead in her tracks upon being scolded on the spot. "Can you repeat any of my lesson?"

Rainbow made her stool creak while replying “No.” with a smile. In response, Twilight teleported the stool away from Rainbow.

So with both previous methods having failed to make sense to her, Kion approached the blue Pegasus with an idea of his own. "Okay, since highlighting and history lectures is getting nowhere, how about an idea that helps me learn pretty well? He offered.

Said method involves turning the fields outside of Ponyville to their surrounding into an obstacle course similar to the one the Lion and Pony Guard ran when they were training.

“An obstacle course?”

“Yep.” Kion nodded while lining up beside the blue Pegasus in front of a straight line that marks the starting line. “My dad taught me this when training me to work up to the role of Leader of the Lion Guard.”

“By running up and down a few boulders along the way?”

“In addition to a few magical bumps along the way to help get you thinking.” Kion added while nodding at the alicorn who used her magic to cause the boulder to constantly rise up and down. “Also, in order to keep things evenly-matched, no flying.”

“Okay…” Rainbow grumbled with crossed arms given that she is a pony who doesn’t like to be tethered down to the earth.

“Ready, Twilight?” Kion asked the alicorn who presented flashcards in tow along with Ono.

“Flashcards at the ready, Kion!” She said with a smile.

“Affirmative.” Ono stated with a salute.

“Ready, Rainbow?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be!” Rainbow confidently stated thinking he’ll be able to tackle his and Twilight’s challenge no problem like she always does.

By the time the two started their away across, Rainbow was quick to wish she had been dealing with the obstacle course back in the Pride Lands since she had to work every ounce in strength just to climb up and leap over every rock that slides up and down from the ground.

Kion having much practice with this was able to time his leaps and jumps perfectly to the point he finds himself leaping on a rock that’s rising to the ground

While they made their way across the field, Twilight read the words from the flashcards, "Colonel Purple Dart, the leader of the Wonderbolts in the Fourth Celestial Era, was known for his– what?"

"Uh. Mustache?" Rainbow guessed while barely grabbing onto the next rock she jumped onto.

“Nope.” Kion shook his head while leaping onto another rising rock.

"After becoming the official flying squadron for Princess Celestia, she honored them with–"

Rainbow had to barely stop herself from falling over the rock she was about to fall off of before properly leaping onto the next rock. While she is able to keep moving and stay on Kion’s tail throughout this exercise, it was just barely since she is clearly falling behind.

“Whoa, whoa…!”

“Come on Rainbow, pick it up!” Kion called after her.

“I’m trying!”

“Better try harder because I’m almost there!” He said before hopping on over to the next rock just when it was rising from the ground while Rainbow had to barely cling onto the next rising rock just to try to keep pace with the Lion Guard’s Fiercest.

"The original Wonderbolts lightning bolt insignia was–" Twilight read before seeing that Rainbow Dash had ended up losing her balance and fell face first into the ground before being catapulted into the air by a rock that emerged from the ground.

“WHOA!” She screamed while flying uncontrollably up into the air just when Kion finished completing the course himself.

The three all look up in the sky to where Rainbow was sent flying towards wondering if she’s okay since she’s been up there for several seconds.

“Don’t suppose I should fly up there and make sure she didn’t…you know…?” Twilight asked.

“I think all you have to worry about is catching her…” Ono answered while focusing his vision on her from very up high. “…because she should be coming down right about…”

“AAAAHHHHH!”

“Now.”

Just when Rainbow was about to hit the ground face first she was caught by the tail courtesy of Twilight’s magic and is now hanging upside down just above the ground.

“So, Kion…” She spoke looking on in the lion’s direction. “…how exactly would say this would help me? And would you happen to learn anything from all of that?”

“Yes.” He replied before saying what he’s learned so far. “Colonel Purple Dart, the leader of the Wonderbolts in the Fourth Celestial Era, was known for his impeccable timing, high speed flight and ability to calculate the altitude of any Pegasus while in mid flight. After becoming the official flying squadron for Princess Celestia, she honored them with their official Wonderbolts uniforms, which were originally grey at the time before changing to blue over the years, adding the lightning bolts. The original Wonderbolts lightning bolt insignia was only a fair of wings with a star to represent their dazzling performance. I was changed in the following two years to a lightning bolt to best represent their determination and speed of flight."

Rainbow was left baffled and jaw dropped that he actually managed learn it all with this exercise alone.

“Impressive!” Ono said with a stunned open beak along with Twilight.

“So that just leaves one way to see how much you learned so far…” Twilight then said while floating over to the upside down pony. “By taking a pop quiz!”

"Bring it!" Rainbow said ready to take just when Twilight teleported everyone back into the library.

"The initials E.U.P. stand for what?" Twilight asked.

"Ernie's undercooked pancakes." Rainbow answered.

"The original aerial team performed for…?" Kion asked.

"Celestia's cereal celebration."

"The Wonderbolts were given their name by this famous Pegasus. Who is she?" Ono asked while secretly pleading to himself, "For Simba’s saker, please don't say Colonel Waffle…"

"Hello? General Blazing Donut Glaze!" Rainbow scoffed, "So, did I ace it or what?"

Kion, Twilight and Ono all face / hoof palmed themselves in response.

"Or what." Twilight replied. "You didn't get one answer correct."

"What? But– but how?"

"I don't know. I've never heard answers so wrong! And so breakfast-related!"

Rainbow's stomach growled at that moment.

"If you had taken the official test today…"

Rainbow Dash gasped while flying around the room. "My dreams of being in the Wonderbolts Reserve would have been totally crushed!"

“Took you long enough to figure that out.” Ono remarked.

Rainbow began flying around the room in a frenzy before flying out of the library now feeling her life is on the line. "What am I gonna do? I'm running out of time! I don't know any of this history! I'm gonna fail! I'm gonna fail, I'm gonna fail, I'm gonna fail! And it's all your fault!"

“What?! Our fault?!” Ono took offense to that statement.

"We're the ones helping you!" Twilight pointed out while equally offended.

"Maybe your famous study methods aren't all they're cracked up to be, eh, teachers?!" She retorted leaving the three on the ground jaw dropped. Here they are trying to help her and this is the thanks they get for their efforts.

Both Ono and Twilight narrowed their eyes while Kion looked seeking to avoid a fight.

"Excuse me, I've used them to study for many a test and passed!" Twilight returned.

"Yeah, right." Rainbow scoffed as she turned her back with Twilight flying up behind her.

"Do you know the name of the premiere Wonderbolts choreographer?"

"Uh, well—"

"Commander Easyglider."

"Do you know how many Pegasi flew in the original squad?" Ono asked joining up in flight right beside Twilight to face the pony unable to give a good answer in return.

"Um—"

"Seven!"

Do you know Princess Celestia's favorite flight pattern?!" Twilight asked, "The Icaranian Sun Salutation!"

"And you’re looking at someone who is looking to join the Wonderbolts alongside you and is actually capable of passing this test. An egret who’s the Guard’s Keenest of Sight.”

"Fine!” Rainbow pouted while dropping down to the ground. “Rub it in, why don't ya? Besides, I don't see why I have to take this lousy test anyway. I've proven I'm one of the best flyers around."

"Knowing their origin and being able to properly represent them for all of Equestria is just as important." Twilight replied.

Just then and what the other’s are aware is that Fluttershy is standing a small distance away with Beshte standing beside her.

"Yeah, right. Some history buff like you must have made that up to bring us flyers down."

"Knowing history actually is beneficial, Rainbow."

Rainbow blew a raspberry in response. "Beneficial for eggheads!"

"Girls."

“Guys.”

Fluttershy and Beshte softly spoke.

There Kion decided to get in between the two ponies. “That's enough, Rainbow! I get you're having a hard time learning, but all Twilight was only trying to do is help you. In fact, all of us are trying to help you succeed."

“Says the lion who’s obstacle course had me smacked around like a pinball.” Rainbow retorted back the lion.

“Says the Pegasus who caan’t even pay attention during class!” Ono retorted.

“Ono!” Kion chided.

“What?!” Ono said back defensively. “It’s not my fault she’s been playing around when we’re trying to help her learn.”

“Girls!”

“Guys!"

Both Fluttershy and Beshte both spoke a little louder.

"And you’re saying I’m wrong to tell her that?!"

“No, I’m just saying you don’t need to stoop down to her insults.”

"Even if said pony had it coming!"

"Yes!"

"Why I’d never…!”

“Girls!”

“Guys!”

Both Fluttershy and Beshte both spoke louder still not getting their attention.

“See what happens when you enlist other’s to help me!” Rainbow then turned to Twilight. “You make things worse than before!”

“How?!” Twilight took offense to that. “At least they’re trying to help you and compared to you this pony knows history and can fly. Maybe I should become a Wonderbolt."

"Just 'cause you've got wings, doesn't mean you can fly! You're barely able to just get off the ground, Scarface!"

Twilight gasped in response and both Kion and Ono cringed when the two ponies nearly getting into each other’s faces when Fluttershy quickly moved and came in between them, shouting this time around.

"Girls! Guys! Stop!"

Everyone immediately ceased their arguement with her words alone snapping them to her attention.

"Now, is that any way to talk to a friend?"

The four of them looked at each other feeling sincerely regret with what they said to each in frustration.

"Sorry." Twilight said.

"Yeah, sorry. Especially that last insult." Rainbow turned to both Kion and Ono. “And I’m sorry to you both, I didn’t mean to get so personal.”

"It's okay and we’re sorry too." Kion shared with a calming sigh.

Ono looked aside in shame. "Me three."

"Don't you have more important things to do? Like prepare Rainbow for her big test?" Beshte asked.

"We've tried everything, Beshte." Twilight answered. "But none of our study methods work for her."

Fluttershy smiled ready to offer a solution. "Well, no offense to your teaching methods, but I think I may have a way to help Rainbow."


The group sat in front of a wooden stage, decorated with a day and night setting, with Spike sitting in a director's chair, complete with a director's hat and a script, while Angel Bunny and Rarity's cat Opal wore Celestia and Luna style wigs.

"Oh, who's that, who's that?" Rainbow asked.

"Celestia and Luna, back when they were happy." Fluttershy answered while Opal and Bunny danced with one another.

“Okay…” Ono remarked while arching an eyebrow.

“I can make sense of it.” Kion shrugged able to see what is going on while Twilight blinked in response.

The two animals stopped their dancing and Bunny moved his arms towards her with Opal collapsing in response to resemble Nightmare Moon’s defeat at the hooves of Celestia. Owlowisious took Opal up and placed her on a wooden moon prop to represent Luna’s banishment to the moon. There more of the pets arrived onto the stage. Applejack's dog wore an antenna with a unicorn horn on her forehead, Rainbow's pet tortoise, flying on his engine pack, wore a orange flyer’s helmet with light orange-colored wings on them, and Spike pushed Gummy onto the stage where all three pets stand before the Celestia actor.

"Uh… now what?" Rainbow asked, still feeling lost on this play.

"Gummy's an Earth pony, Winona's a unicorn, and Tank is a Pegasus."

"They're the E.U.P., helping to protect the Princess." Twilight explained once more already tired of having to say it once more.

“As if she hadn’t already said it.” Ono mentioned feeling weary himself.

Even still Rainbow still had trouble following. "Uh, how are you getting all this?"

The owl took Angel and placed him on the sun prop, and upon seeing Spike’s gestures from his director’s chair, moved the way Celestia did back then. Tank flew around, only to accidentally crash into the wooden sun, causing Angel to fall.

"Oh, no!" Fluttershy exclaimed in worry.

Luckily, the owl managed to swoop in to save him, but in the process accidentally crashed into the moon prop causing Opal to fall over along with the prop itself. Spike managed to run up and catch Opal as the moon landed and rolled over after the two. At that point Rainbow Dash had seen enough of this attempted reenactment.

"Stop, stop, stop! That was aw—"

"Awesome! I give it three woohoo's! Woohoo, woohoo, woohoo!”

“And an extra three "woos" for good measure! Woo! Woo! Woo!"

“Pinkie? Bunga?” Ono exclaimed upon seeing their sudden appearance. “How long have you two been standing there?”

“Long enough to see the show.” Bunga casually replied. “And it sure was whoa, whoa, un-Bunga-veilable!”

"Well, I give it a "whoa, whoa, what?"" Rainbow said otherwise, "I'm totally confused and I just wanna go home…" She started to fly away until she was pulled down back to the ground by Pinkie Pie. "Whoa– hey!"

"Whoa your woes there, woeful. Some ponies learn through theatrical presentation, but other ponies learn through musical intervention."

“Oh, brother.” Ono groaned before placing a wing over his eyes.

Pinkie Pie started performing like a rapper with the background changing to one depicting graffiti painted walls with Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa dressed in rapper clothes. Timon and Pumbaa were both scratching the records while Pinkie Pie and Bunga in hip-hop getups, beatboxed.

“Well, back in ancient times, there were the Wonderbolts of old

A general named Firefly, amazing and so...

All four stated all together.

“Bold!”

“She brought them all together, spreading unity...

All four stated all together.

“In flight!”

“Performing at their very best with wonder...”

Pinkie, Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa.

“And with might!”

“There's Admiral Fairweather and the Colonel Purple...’

Pinkie, Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa.

“Dart!

“Gave Wonderbolts a bit of steel along with...”

Pinkie, Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa.

“Lots of heart!”

“An admiral named Fairy Flight and general called...”

Pinkie, Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa.

“Flash!

“Helped the 'bolts fly super high...”

Pinkie, Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa.

“With style and panache!“

“Commander Easyglider was the real cream of...

Pinkie, Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa.

“The crop!”

“For with her wicked moves, the Wonderbolts...

Pinkie, Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa.

“Soared to the top!”

“Wonderbolts, yeah! Wonderbolts...”

Pinkie, Bunga, Timon, and Pumbaa.

“Huh!”

“Wonderbolts, yeah! Wonderbolts...”

“Unh!”

“That is my rappin' history of the Wonderbolts!”

The scene changed back to reality with Pinkie now out of her getup. Though the other three still kept on it.

"So, d'you get it?"

Rainbow Dash smiled in response. "Yes, Pinkie Pie!" She then poorly imitated the previously done rapping. "General This and Colonel That, they're the Wonderbolts, something that rhymes with that! Word!"

The others remained silent while Pinkie had this to say. "That… was pretty terrible."

“Not cool, man. Not cool.”

“Horrible.”

“Terrible.”

The others added unimpressed.

"What?!” Rainbow exclaimed in response now more worried than ever. “No... really? But I've gotta learn this stuff! Now!" She started to gallop away, only to be intercepted by Rarity, wearing a general's uniform.

"And I am just the pony to help!" She stated.

Bunga chuckled in response along with Ono upon seeing the outfit in question.

“No way.”

“What the buck is that?”

Rarity shrugged it off like she didn’t hear it. “I am going to ignore that comment along with that filthy language of yours…” She briefly pointed a hoof in Ono’s direction. “…out of my desire to help Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow looked towards her smiling friends still offering their support before turning back towards Rarity. "Good luck."


With a generous gesture of her hoof, Rarity directed Rainbow’s attention to what she has in store for her at her boutique shop.

"Get ready, Rainbow Dash, for I am going to take you on an historical adventure in fashion!"

Rarity led Rainbow Dash inside, where a spotlight shined on top of them. Rainbow noticed the mannequin figures in the shadows.

"I am now modeling the rather unattractive, and frankly itchy, original Wonderbolts flying costume. Fortunately, thanks to the vision of Flaire De Mare, the Wonderbolts ensemble became more streamlined in a wonderfully breathable fabric. Of course, there were fashion hits... and misses."

Rarity then spotted something that caught her disturbed eye by having the spotlight shine over Pinkie Pie, currently wearing a blue flying admiral jacket with a matching hat and gray pants.

"Just look at those dreadful bell-bottoms. What were ponies thinking?"

"I dunno. I bet General Flash rocked these thangs!" Pinkie cheerfully replied.

Rainbow Dash screamed in shock upon seeing this. "Pinkie, you're real!"

"Of course I'm real! I mean I'm not the real General Flash, the tenth leader of the Wonderbolts, but I, Pinkie, am really real." She assured that she is real and not a fake life-like copy.

"And I'm Admiral Fairy Flight, from the seventh squadron." Fluttershy added while wearing a light blue uniform and matching cap.

Next up was Twilight wearing a grey jacket with matching hat and black shades, "And of course you recognize Commander Easyglider."

Followed by Applejack. "And I'm sportin' some sort of getup worn by Colonel Purple Dart."

But even with all of these names and everyone posing as these important figures, Rainbow still couldn't remember and intake any past history. She was still feeling completely anxious and pressured.

"Just look at us." Rarity told her.

“Look at us." Twilight repeated.

“Look at me!" Pinkie chimed in.

“Yeah, look at her!” Bunga popped up.

"It's too much for my eyes!" Rainbow exclaimed while backing away from them while covering her eyes.

Seeing the distress on her friend’s face, Applejack approached her with advice to try to give her. "Now, don't you fret, Rainbow. This fashion show nonsense wouldn't help me learn nothin', either."

As she removed her hat, Rarity looked on feeling like it defeated it’s attempted purpose.

"Really? Well, what special study trick do you have, AJ?" Rainbow asked as they walked outside together.

"Who, me? Oh, I got nothing. Why, I could tell you every little thing there is to know about the history of apples, but I picked all that up over years in the field as a labor of love. How much time you got?"

"Twelve hours."

"Oh, then you are up a creek."

Twilight then levitated the flash cards around her. "Oh, I think we should just go back to old-fashioned studying." She happily suggested prompting the pony to duck under the ring only to find herself face to face with Fluttershy.

"What about our play?" Fluttershy asked, while having both Angel Bunny and Opal on her back both still wearing their wigs.

"Just look at these costumes!" Rarity added while joining in the fray. "Surely something resonates with your inner Wonderbolt!"

Applejack came in while pushing Rarity aside much to her annoyance with her ill-mannered gesture. "And Granny Smith discovered the first granny smith in Fillydelphia, when she was just a filly!"

Pinkie Pie put her black hat back on and started rapping again, "Commander Easyglider was the real cream of the crop—"

"Pinkie! Please stop!" Ono expressed rather exasperated. “That isn’t going to help Rainbow prepare for her test!”

"Well, I suggest you put down your silly cards of flash, For I know that they cannot help our good friend Rainbow Dash!" Bunga then said while rapping much to the eye-rolling annoyance of the Guard’s Keenest of Sight.

“Hapana.”

"Maybe we could try the obstacle course again." Kion suggested, "I’ll go easy on you."

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Ono questioned knowing that Rainbow is never one to want to not take a challenge thrown right at her.

Sure enough it spiraled into an argument of who they think has the best method of studying for Rainbow Dash. But sadly the only help it managed to do was further stress the poor pony out until she snapped.

"Enough! No rapping, no cards, no costumes, no obstacle courses, no play…" Spike pouted like he is going to cry. "…and no apples! I am never gonna pass this test, ever! Just forget it!"

Rainbow quickly flew fast and far away from the group as possible all with the simple motive of wanting to do nothing but despair feeling this is now a hopeless cause. As soon as she fled everyone was left feeling regret for putting this much pressure on her since they clearly didn’t mean to overwhelm her.

“I’ll be back.” Twilight said to Kion before flying off after her.

“Wait for me! I’m coming too!” Ono shouted in her direction while following after her.


Meanwhile, Rainbow was flying away from Ponyville in her haste to get away from it all. Her biggest dream on the horizon yet is woefully and mentally unprepared to actually prove it by showing that she understands the very history and foundation of how the Wonderbolts came to be.

Both Twilight and Ono were quickly able to catch up to her while the pony flying ahead was looking downcast and feeling incompetent.

“Rainbow, we're sorry about all that!" Twilight apologized.

“We didn’t mean to overwhelm you!” Ono added. “It was never our intent!”

"It's okay. You were just trying to help. It's just too bad I'm too dumb to learn anything."

"You are not dumb!" Twilight insisted otherwise from thinking that. "You just learn differently!"

"If by "differently" you mean "not at all", then you're totally right."

"No, that's totally wrong." Ono corrected.

Rainbow still wasn’t convinced before changing course. "See? Wrong again."

Both the flyers followed after her regardless.

“Oh, come on Rainbow! I don't know anypony that's read more Daring Do books than you, heck that’s more books then I’ve ever read in a single day." Ono tried to convince her from thinking that way.

"Well, that's not going to get me into the Wonderbolts."

"And your knowledge of jokes and pranks is only rivaled by Pinkie and Bunga." Twilight added.

"Great. My years of being a class clown prevented me from actually learning how to learn!" While the three were talking, Rainbow scanned Ponyville from up high while looking around for signs of trouble.

"That's not what I meant. You're smart, creative, inventive, and–" Twilight was interrupted when Rainbow Dash suddenly flew ahead while finding herself dragged along forcibly. "Hey!”

Ono did his best once more to follow after them. “What are you doing?! I know you’re upset but could you at least tell us why…Hapana!”


As soon as the two saw it, they both took action alongside Rainbow Dash in intercepting Janja and Reirei who were both ganging up on Ma Tembo and the herd.

“My, my…” Reirei remarked with a sinister chuckle. “You all got nowhere to go.”

“Any last words?” Janja tauntingly asked the terrified group.

“Yes!” Rainbow’s voice called out to them when Twilight flies on down towards them by her side. “Surprise!”

“Uh-oh.”

“Oh no.”

“Not the face!”

Both Cheezi and Chungu muttered along with Doigoi just when they were all swept off their paws and punched in the face by the speedy blue Pegasus hurling right at them followed by Twilight using her magic to blast and force both Janja and Reirei away. Before Nne and Tano could both manage to lay a tooth or claw on their prey, Ono swooped in and relentlessly pecked at them to the point they were forced to back up.

Before the hyena leader knew it along with Reirei they along with the rest of their clan were all hoisted and in the alicorn’s mercy.

Instead of flinging towards the portal with her magic like she did before, she smirked and had a different idea in mind.

“What are you going to do us, Twilight…?”

“No! Not the boot!

Reirei and Janja both fearfully asked now panicked when she is giving them the devious smile.

“Oh no worries…” She assured. “…I won’t give you the boot this time…”

Both leaders sighed in relief for a moment before the princess moved her head towards Rainbow Dash for a new idea to have them sent back to the other world.

“Rainbow, remember how Trixie sent Fuli out of Ponyville…?” She addressed her who returns the mischievous smile when she got the idea causing the two to wince knowing what’s going to happen next.

“Uh-oh.” Janja spoke sparking curiosity from his fellow pack members.

“Speedy wheels?” Cheezi asked figured where this is heading.

“Eeyep.”

“Flying on out of here?” Chungu also asked.

“Eeyep.”

“Crashing face right into Pride Rock…?”

“…where our boss is going to be waiting for us after we crash into some hard rocks?”

“Eeyep.”

“Dearie…” Doigoi spoke fearfully.

“Just prepare for a lot of pain and bruises.” Reirei honestly advised before being hoisted downwards where their ride towards a lot of pain awaiting for them.

The blue Pegasus pony quickly flew over and performed running and flying circles around the group to form moving wheels on the ground with Twilight moving to place them each in them causing and forcing every single hyena and jackal to hightail out of Equestria on foot.

“Thank you, Rainbow, Twilight, Ono.” The elephant leader gratefully expressed to their saviors.

“Our pleasure.” Twilight simply said on behalf of the trio before the herd moved to settle somewhere a little safer just in case they decide to come back again.

After they left both Twilight and Ono turn were quick to react their amazement that Rainbow actually managed to spot it out first.

“I can’t believe it.”

“I know! I’m usually the first guy that actually spots when trouble is nearby!”

The two expressed still stunned.

"I know." Rainbow replied like it’s no biggie for her. "That's because you were both jabbering on so much."

"But how did you notice?" Twilight asked, "You were listening and talking to me the whole time!"

"Ha-hah, you're such a rookie. An experienced flyer like me knows how to multitask."

"While you fly?" Ono asked while admittedly impressed himself. Sure he knows that she is capable of having keen sight like him but it never occurred to him until now that she actually has it to the point she can be just as quick to spot out and alert the others on par with him

"It's essential! Yes, I was paying attention to you, but was also scanning the sky and the ground for any problems."

"Really?" Twilight asked.

"Flying's not just flying! In order to stay safe in the sky, I've got to hear and see everything down to the littlest details.” She then recalls previous events she saw while flying. “For instance, I saw Mtoto and his friends come out of Sugarcube Corner along with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and from the looks of it, one of them obviously indulged in a lot of peanut butter chocolate ice cream. And I'm thinking Mr. Chung sold a huge order of his phonographs. I also noticed that both Janja and Reirei from afar with the elephant herd at an equal distance form here. Once I saw they were cornering them, I knew we had to get on over there fast before they try to make dinner of them. I always make note of everything when I fly. No biggie."

"Everything?" Ono asked just when he and Twilight both smiled towards each other when bulbs lit up in their minds at the exact same time.

"Oh my gosh!" Twilight exclaimed.

"What?" Rainbow curiously asked.

"Gotta go!”

“We’ll catch you later!”

In an instant, Twilight quickly flew off ahead while Ono moves to follow after her trying to keep pace with the high-energized alicorn while heavily panting in the process.

"Yeah, I get it. I wouldn't want to hang out with a loser like me either." Rainbow assumed sadly before flying away to rest on a cloud that turned grey, fitting her for her current mood.


Back at the Golden Oak Library, Twilight and Ono had everyone from the Guard gathered together, along with Timon and Pumbaa.

"Thanks for meeting us, everybody and everypony."

"What is it, Twilight?" Kion asked.

"We finally found a way to help Rainbow Dash." Ono said while Twilight looks through her telescope to see the pony in question currently moping on her darken cloud.

"But how?" Fluttershy asked.

"We've tried every kind of studying." Rarity pointed out. "My way, your way…"

“His way, her way…” Bunga added while gesturing to Kion and then Applejack before Twilight raised her right front hoof to motion him to stop.

"Yes, but we haven't tried Rainbow Dash's way." Twilight counter replied.

“Her way?” Bunga asked now confused.

"Hmm, I'm intrigued." Pinkie Pie said while placing her rapper hat on her head.

“Ooh! You mean whatever is Rainbow’s way, I get it.” Bunga realized.

"Okay. Listen up everyone and everypony, here's the plan" Twilight said to the whole group as they all huddled together.


Rainbow Dash was still laying on her cloud still feeling downcast still with no hope of ever passing for this upcoming test. With her inability to show interest she was feeling there was nothing she can to avert the end of her dream and failure. She was distracted from her thoughts when Twilight and Ono appeared.

"Hey, Rainbow. Wanna go for a fly?" Twilight asked.

“Sure. Got nothing better to do." She replied with a sigh before flying beside her and Ono. "Didn't we just do this?"

"Yes, but like you said, I'm such a newbie, I need all the practice I can get."

"Yeah, well, I'm sure you'll become a great flyer in no time. After all, you're good at everything." Rainbow flew on ahead with Twilight and Ono both looking down at the ground for brief moment before sharing a nod together before resuming their flight with the despairing flyer.

"So… what's going on?" Ono pegged.

"Oh, nothing. Just getting my dreams crushed." Rainbow sadly replied.

"Uh… read any good books lately?" Twilight asked.

"Just history books. I'd tell you what they were about, but my brain is as dry as a rock."

"Speaking of rocks, did you know Pinkie Pie grew up on a rock farm?"

“But didn’t we just…” Ono began until Twilight cleared her throat to remind him he can't speak any further on that matter now. “…never mind, just thinking out-loud.”

Rainbow still didn’t heed to that near slip up. "Maybe I'll go work there as I have no other plans for the rest of my life."

"Oh, come on now, Rainbow. You can't give up on your dream!" Twilight tried to encourage otherwise.

"Seems my dream has given up on me. Maybe I'll learn to shine shoes, sell hats, dig ditches…"

"Or maybe you'll be a Wonderbolt." Twilight countered again while performing a happy flip through the cloud in front of her.

“Like me.” Ono added.

It still failed to improve Rainbow’s mood. "Twilight, Ono, give it up! I have." She flew ahead with both her flyer friends still smiling and following after her.

"So, what do you remember about that flight?" Twilight asked upon landing with Ono landing on her back since unlike alicorn’s or Pegasus ponies he can’t stand on clouds.

"Nothing important. Except after Luna was banished to the moon, Celestia needed protective forces, so Earth, unicorn, and Pegasi formed the E.U.P. Guard of the Protective Pony Platoons."

Rainbow's eyes widened upon realizing what she just said.

“Yes…?"

“Go on…”

Rainbow smiled while she did so. "And, at the celebration of the first Celestial year of peace, an elite flying squadron performed, headed by General Firefly, who later named the group the Wonderbolts!"

"Uh-huh…?"

“Continue…”

"Commander Easyglider established flight choreography that is still used by the Wonderbolts today!" Rainbow finished while performing a happy flip.

"Yes!"

“Correct!”

"I… I know the history! I know it all!” Rainbow said with happy astonishment but now couldn’t help but wonder. “But how in Equestria did that happen?"

"You learned it!" Twilight replied while wrapping her right front hoof around her.

"Yeah, I got that! But how?"

Twilight then flew ahead leading her and Ono back to the ground where their friends along most of the Pride Landers all carrying around and wearing Wonderbolt themed items, posters and costumes.

“You see…” Ono started. “We discovered that you catalog everything that happens all around you when you're flying, without even thinking about it! So, we made use of your special skills by enlisting everybody to help you learn the history of the Wonderbolts!"

The more she thought about the more it started to make sense to Rainbow.

The first thing she noticed was Fluttershy, dressed as Princess Celestia, and Rarity, dressed as Princess Luna.

"I, Princess Celestia, banish you, Princess Luna, to the moon."

"Noooooo!" Rarity said in a dramatic manner.

Next up was the Cutie Mark Crusaders along with the young fan club group.

Apple Bloom and Mtoto shouted, "Earth!"

Sweetie Belle and Kwato shouted, "Unicorn!"

Scootaloo and Kambuni shouted, "Pegasus!"

In that order, the Cutie Mark Crusaders jumped onto Big Macintosh’s back while Kwato and Kambuni hoped onto Mtoto’s back.

"E!"

"U!"

"P!"

"Eeyup!"

Fluttershy flew by still resuming her role as Celestia. "Let us celebrate our first Celestial year of peace!"

"Yeah, let's party!" Pinkie Pie shouted in her costume with Bunga standing beside her while wearing his uniform. "I'm General Firefly! Gee, my costume is itchy and unattractive, but I'm gonna assemble an awesome flying team!" She pulled the cord on her cannon, unleashing paper stickers in the shape of Wonderbolts symbol. "'ll call them... the Wonderbolts!"

Rarity then appeared behind her in her general uniform. "Streamlined style by Flaire De Mare!"

With Hadithi and two other Pride Land flyers help in dressing up in costumes they were able to perform the remaining roles no problem.

Jinora, Ikki and Meelo flew on their gilders, dressed as various Wonderbolt flyers.

"Admiral Fairweather!" Hadithi shouted while flying by.

"Colonel Purple Dart!" Mwenzi shouted.

"Admiral Fairy Flight!" The purple hawk with blue eyes shouted.

One of the egrets that took attention to Ono’s previous loss of feathers from the other day then shouted while wearing his costume. “General Flash!”

Amongst the crowds most of the Lion Guard wear all holding up posters and pictures of the wonderbolts logo on them.

Kulinda shouted while wearing a costume too along with her baby girl. "Commander Easyglider!"

All throughout the flight, more and more Ponyville residents also chimed in by holding out posters and pictures of the Wonderbolts with more and more facts from history being spoken with every passing figure. To cap it all off Hadithi and a group of fellow loyal flyers he assembled flew by carrying a banner with the Wonderbolts logo on it while Fluttershy flew beside it.

"The history of the Wonderbolts!" Fluttershy as the sun princess declared just when fireworks went off.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! Thank you! Thank you all so much!" Rainbow happily expressed to the whole team gathered right in front of her.

"You're welcome, but it all came from you." Twilight thought nothing of it.

“That’s true.” Ono agreed. “After all, you learned without knowing you're learning. Your main focus is flying, but then your brain is also absorbing lots of other information! It's actually really brilliant!"

Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but respond with a smug smirk. "Ha, I always knew I was brilliant!"

The rest couldn't help but laugh along with Rainbow Dash along with her well-earned accomplishment.

“Well at least you now know the Wonderbolts history…” Ono proudly said before turning on to rush over to the library in flight. “Speaking of which, I better get back to studying for my Wonderbolts exam too! See ya!”


Sometime later, the big day came for both Rainbow Dash and Ono to take their Wonderbolt entrance exams in a classroom supervised by a Wonderbolt official reading his newspaper from his front desk. Since the two were both mentally prepared in their own way leading up to this in the last twenty-four hours they both knew all of the answers to the questions they were given.

Meanwhile, Kion met up with Twilight who is currently taking the time to write down a friendship lesson she learned herself that day at the library.

“Rainbow Dash finally learned the history of the Wonderbolts, but she's not the only pony that needed a lesson; I needed to learn something just as important. One way of learning isn't better than another. After all, every pony is unique and individual.”

“First time for everything huh, Twilight?” Kion said to the alicorn who was surprised to see him here but still was very warm and welcoming.

“Yep.” She nodded while flipping through the pages of the various friendship lessons learned throughout the team recently including some of the lessons she learned since her reformation. “Friendship lessons can happen one way or another whether it’s the student or the teacher.”

“And you’re smiling more.” Kion noted. “Don’t think I have seen that in a while.”

“Well, yes.” Twilight still smiled not even denying it. “Guess that comes from friendship warming my heart again.”

“Not that’s a bad thing.” Kion said. “It’s actually an improvement considering I just got done talking to Ma Tembo who told me of what a wonderful pony you were saving her herd from Janja and Reirei the other day and how she count on you to come to their aid when needed.”

“Oh did she…?” Twilight asked feeling surprised and slightly touched. “…well I couldn’t just stand by and let that happen.”

“And it’s a very good thing you did, and she is very grateful that you and the other’s saved her and her herd.”

“Well, don’t thank me, thank Rainbow, for once she had the keen sight to spot them out in danger.”

“Really?” Kion spoke feeling very impressed. “About as good as Ono’s?”

“Right up there.” She nodded.

“I’ll make sure she knows that the next time I see her.”

Said mare barged inside right through the front door. “Woohoo! 100%”

“Sounds like somepony aced her entrance exam.” Twilight said just when Ono appears after her.

“And not only that…” Ono added. “…the first egret to do the same with his entrance exam along with making another step towards being the first Pride Lander to join the Wonderbolts!”

“Congratulations!” Kion proudly complimented. “You both keep this up you’ll both be climbing up the ranks in no time!”

"And we look forward to it!" Rainbow happily stated while high fiving each other wings.

While Twilight proudly watches on towards the two celebrating alongside Kion they are unaware that Scar’s green eyes are sinisterly and ominously looking on at them with a narrowed look from behind before it fades away. With his plan of completing his takeover getting closer and closer by the day, he knows he needs to watch those two closely in order to ensure it fully comes to fruition. And by that, no mistakes can be made this time around…

Author's Note:

In this chapter of friendship lessons we now have the responsible student studying and of course the uninterested student not wanting to follow the same method of studying as the other.

With friends by her side, the Lion and Pony Guard is determined to find the best approach for Rainbow Dash to be ready to take an important history test that'll determine if she and Ono will get to join the Wonderbolts.

But as some learn that not all and other methods are always compatible with one another and that sometimes their very own works wonders very well, and that's what proved crucial when some Pride Landers found themselves in danger and proved to be the method Rainbow Dash needed to not only learn and pass her test but ace it alongside her future Wonderbolt partner.

In short, it was a friendship lesson that both Rainbow Dash and Twilight along with Ono who butted heads throughout most of the episode came to learn in the end.

Next up is "Insipiration Manifestation." where the titular book and it's dangerous magic come into play into here with predictable results but unforeseen and dire consequences to come with it so stay tuned...

PreviousChapters Next