• Published 27th Nov 2021
  • 3,098 Views, 197 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 4) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion and Pony Guard all seek to protect Ponyville all while learning more the ways of friendship as the threat of Scar grows.

  • ...
7
 197
 3,098

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 24: Somepony to Watch Over Me

Episode 24:

Somepony to Watch Over Me

The sun is rising once more at Sweet Apple Acres, where Apple Bloom is anxiously waiting outside of the room where her older siblings and grandmother are conversing alongside her fellow Crusaders. The little farm filly is currently awaiting whether the rest of her family trusts her with a very important decision to which she is practically dying to hear their answer, and the answer she hopes she will be granted with.

“Whatever they decide, Apple Bloom, we'll be here for you.”

“Totally. Even though it could change everything for you, forever and ever!”

Her friends both assured even though Sweetie’s attempt further worried her friend more so than intended.

Just then the door opened where the three grown-ups have all slowly marched their way out of the door and walked towards the trio all sitting on their rumps in a straight line where they give out the decision they came down with after much discussing.

“So, we here have decided...” The matriarch of the family began while the fillies all sweat trying to keep themselves from losing it at least until she suddenly smiled and then said. “…that you're old enough to stay home alone and take care of the chores yourself for the afternoon!”

The three suddenly gasped with sudden delight just before Apple Bloom quickly recomposed herself and her friends, choosing for a more serious expression.

“I accept your decision.” She calmly said to them before leading the other Cruasders away and towards the nearby corner. Then…

…came cheers of excitement from them to which the three grown-ups have all shared amused smiles with each other, acknowledging it’s expected for being entrusted with this responsibility.

After all, Apple Bloom has never given this kind of trust before and it was the first step into becoming a grown mare in life. The day she is finally entrusted to handle things at the farm on her own is the day her siblings and grandmother go out to take care of some important apple pie deliveries to customers they promised they’d deliver today.

Come the day she will be left home alone is when both Kion and Beshte have swung by to help load their mobile pie carts before moving to accompany them on their journey.

“Steady…steady…”

With Beshte carrying multiple pies on his back, he was able to take care of loading Big Macintosh’s cart in nearly one trip which means all the latter had to was just carefully load them one by one and row by row.

Even though Kion and Apple Bloom don’t have that big back to perform the same feat, they were all still able to carry them on over in two trips quickly and efficiently together since Beshte had to be a lot more careful and slow in walking most of the pies on his back to do so.

During the loading, Apple Bloom was now practically continuing her overloaded excitement of what she had been bestowed. “Stayin' home alone, by myself, on my own!”

However, during her little episode of excitement she accidentally crashed into her big sister and sent the three pies she was carrying flying in the air.

“Whoa!”

Luckily for her, Kion was quick to turn around landing flat on his back while sliding backwards, before catching the pies with all of his paws.

“Phew!”

“Are you okay there, Kion?” Applejack asked as she helped him up and safely transferred the pies on her wagon.

“Yeah, I’m okay.” He quickly assured while dusting the dirt off of his shoulders before the orange earth pony turned to glare at his little sister for her slight carelessness.

“I can't believe I'm really doin' it!” She happily continued to express her excitement though Applejack was quick to remind her of the reality of running the farm while she’s alone.

“Now, hey there, filly. I know you're excited, but bein' the only pony here to take care of the day's chores is a big responsibility.”

“I know it!” She saluted while her older siblings secure the harnesses to their carts. “And it means everythin' to me that y'all think I'm grown up enough to handle it. I won't let you down.”

Just then Granny Smith came walking by to see her grandchildren and their friends off. “Well, if'n I'm gonna make my train, I best to be off.” Everyone nodded in response. “When Great Aunt Pine Apple says a pony's gots to ride by a certain time, you better be there!” She turned to the youngest of the bunch and affectionately patted her head. “You be sure and take care now, Apple Bloom.” She then turned to both Applejack and Big Macintosh along with their two friendly helpers while handing her grandchildren separate maps. The former’s had a blue highlighted marking on it, while the latter’s had was highlighted in red. “Y'all take care as well. I don't know which of your delivery routes is tougher. you're each headed to a mighty hard-to-reach town.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac nodded in reply.

“We know, Granny.” Applejack acknowledged before adding. “That's the only reason I agreed to let Apple Bloom stay behind alone.”

This statement had her little sister lowering her ears and arching an eyebrow in response. “It is?” Because that’s not quite what she heard when making the decision alongside the others.

“Applejack?” Kion also looked a little perplexed by what she said.

“Oh, I didn't mean it like that, sugarcube.” She quickly said while placing a reassuring hoof on her chin in order to smooth things over. “It's just, I take my job as your big sister real serious, which is why I spent all night makin' this.”

She pulled out a list from her large saddle-bag and presented it to the filly. “What is it?”

“Just a little list of helpful reminders.”

Apple Bloom went ahead and started reading it while the others share confused looks with each other.

“Did something get into her?” Kion thought to himself.

"There's some soup for you in the 'frigerator. Be sure not to heat it up too much. If it's hot, blow on it to cool it off. And take little sips—if you gulp, you could get hiccups." She quickly set aside the list to once more assert that she has nothing to worry about. “You don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself and the chores! I'm ready for this.”

Applejack sighed seemingly accepting it. “I guess you are. I'm just not so sure I am.”

“Well if Granny Smith and Big Mac have faith in her, I think it’s fair to say she can handle things from here.” Kion vouched for the young filly to which she smiled in appreciation for his support.

“It’s just looking after things for the afternoon to which she knows how to do at this point.” Beshte added. “I’ve even seen her do well at some the chores I help out with without my assistance.”

“And you trust me and believe I'm grown up enough to handle this, right?” Apple Bloom added while placing her little hooves on her big sister’s chest and sported a big smile expecting her to continue giving her that trust.

Seeing that she is right after seeing that her brother and grandmother are nodding in agreement, Applejack relented with a sigh. “Right. Okay then. Good luck, little sis— whoa!”

She found her cart suddenly pushed off ahead by the eager filly wanting her to leave. “Okaygreatseeyousoonbye!” She quickly rushed waving her family and friends off who likewise shared the same words before heading out along with Big Macintosh saying his famous phrase.

“Eyuu-up!”

The smiling filly waited patiently until everyone was all out of sight and hearing range of home until she finally celebrated. “Woo-hoo! I'm alone! At home! I'm home alone! This is gonna be so awesome!”

Meanwhile, on route on their deliveries her two siblings and accompanying friends all made their way down the path with Applejack taking the lead.

However during the walk forward, the thought of leaving Apple Bloom home alone despite having come to agree with the rest of her family is leaving her nerve-wracked to the point she is sweating and biting the nails off of her hoofs.

“Everything okay, Applejack?” Beshte asked upon seeing something’s troubling her when she came to a stop unintentionally causing Big Mac to bump head-first into her wagon to which he glared at her sister for the unexpected halt in their journey.

“Eheheh... Sorry, Big Mac, Beshte.” She apologized with a nervous laugh. “I was just frettin' a bit about Apple Bloom.”

“Again?” Kion asked finding it quite surprising that she is still on edge about it at this point.

“Eeyup.” She nodded before turning to her big brother who walked up beside her. “You think she's gonna be okay on her own?”

“Eeyup.” He nodded with full faith before pressing forward.

“Why wouldn’t she?” Beshte asked trying to understand why the blonde mare is still all anxious about. “You said you trusted her alongside your family that she can handle being on her own while we handle these deliveries.”

“I know but I just keep on thinkin' of things I forgot to put on her list.” She further explained. “Like, I didn't write down that if she wants to get a spoon out of the drawer, she needs to open the drawer first.” She sighed after hearing herself ramble a little while Big Mac rolled his eyes in response. “I know, I'm probably just bein' silly.”

“Eeyup.” Her brother bluntly remarked fully confident that she’ll be fine on her own.

“Applejack…” Kion spoke up in attempt to urge her not to worry about it. “…you all agreed she was capable of handling things on her own. We’ve all seen her do it. So I think we should just focus on making this delivery and navigating our way there without anymore interruptions.”

“Yeah…you’re probably right.” She relented but still couldn’t shake it off. “But I know I'd feel a heap better if I could just check on Apple Bloom one last time.” She moved to quickly turn around and head back home much to the other’s surprise. “You go on ahead and make your delivery. I'm just gonna take a quick peek, and then I'll make mine.”

Big Mac could only shake his head at her sister correctly feeling that this isn’t going to wonders in the end.

“This is not going to end well is it?” Kion asked him expecting the answer at this point.

“Nope!”

Kion finding it really unnecessary couldn’t help but ask. “Why Applejack is so worried that something is going to happen if we were to just turn our backs for just one second?”

“Oh, it’s because it’s her way of saying that she loves her…” Big Mac replied in one of the rare times he speaks while both Kion and Beshte listen intently. “…she usually means well but usually tends to go overboard at times in regards to looking after her. It usually takes one near accident to traumatize a pony.”

“Why is that?”

“Something happen?”

Both the Guard’s Fiercest and Bravest asked of what incident in the past sparked it.

“Eeyup.” In answer to the latter’s question. “About a few years ago before she started attending school, she was out playing with Applejack’s Winona with her favorite game.” He recalled a slighter younger and shorter Apple Bloom doing just that. “While they were playing, one of the sheep managed to stray away from the farm and Apple Bloom ran after her…”


Young Apple Bloom gasped when she spotted it run away. She briefly looked around wondering where the rest of her family went before making the rash action to pursue it herself while ignoring the barking protests of the family dog. She quickly ran off to find Applejack and Big Mac who are both out fetching paint, wood, and nails for fixing the sheep fence.

The three all group up once the two siblings both emerged with said supplies when Winona barked towards the woods up ahead. When they all turn their heads towards the sheep’s pen they discover that part of the fence is busted open leading to both Applejack and Big Mac to realize that one of the sheep has escaped and ran off.

“Lands sake!” Applejack exclaimed just when Winona came running up barking urgently. “What is it?” She barked some more. “Apple Bloom went after the loose sheep? Holly apple pies!”

She completely gasped thinking the worst as a sense of parental urgency kicked in the mare before she quickly fetched some supplies she’ll need in order to protect her baby sister from danger alongside her big brother. Once she quickly returned with two long black rubber boots, they both slipped them on and quickly ran off into the woods after them.

“Come on, Big Mac, we got us a pony and sheep to rescue!”

“Eeyup!”

“…leading to the first time she ever wandered away from home without any one from her family knowing. And needless to say it was a very horrifying scene witness and would have been had we not arrived and found them in the nick of time.” Big Mac recalled when the two run off ahead going as fast as they can in order to find their little sister until they spotted her backing up petrified in the face of a scary creature, one that seemed to have multiple heads.

Applejack thinking quick just when the creature got face to face with Apple Bloom with the escaping sheep cowering behind her, charged up and delivered a punch and kick using three out of four of her hooves. Big Mac who had been following after her sister followed it up by charging headfirst into the creature to force it backwards.

The creature snarled while shaking its heads for a bit before growling and lunging at the red stallion who quickly moved to charge right back. He successfully managed to tackle the beast with Applejack following it up by bucking two heads with her hind legs, followed by another punch from her right forearm to knock out the third head.

Once they were all shaking their heads in a daze, Big Mac lifted the creature with his back before hoisting it up in the air before allowing her sister to buck it away from them down the nearby tall cliff down below to ensure that the creature is as far away from his little sister as possible.


“It was a day that Applejack will never forget to when the thought of nearly losing her nearly came to pass.” Big Mac narrated just when Applejack hugged his little sister to death while crying after turning her attention to her who is left in a catatonic state of fear and tears throughout the whole experience. “And it’s pretty clear she hasn’t since.”

“Hevi Kabisa!”

“Whoa!”

Both Kion and Beshte expressed after a moment of stunned silence over a nearly horrifying story on par to when Kion’s father nearly got himself and Nala killed by Scar’s hyenas and when his sister and best friend Kovu nearly got killed by crocodiles.

“Eeyup.” He repeated while shaking his head in dismay at Applejack’s direction now.

“Well considering of what nearly happened, it’s pretty hard not to blame her.” Beshte sympathized with the farm pony’s motives.

“True…” Kion agreed. “…but considering Apple Bloom is now being entrusted with staying home alone and can be trusted not to going running off with her head at this point in life, she should have at least moved on from it. If only trying to tell that to my dad would easier.” He added the last part while looking aside at that moment.

“Maybe you should go and tell her that yourself.” Beshte suggested.

“Really? But what about the deliver?”

“Not a problem, Kion!” Beshte assured while pulling out his map from his backpack. ”Me and Big Mac know where to go from here!”

“Eeyup!” Big Mac nodded with a smile.

“Very well!” Kion smiled seeing that by doing so he is now showing the lesson that he just learned and now needs to teach Applejack. “I’ll try to catch up with you both as soon as I can!”

“Hakuna Matata!” Beshte called after the lion moving to run back to the farm while he turns back alongside Big Mac so they can continue their journey together.

Hopefully, a little wake up call is in order for the cow girl who greatly fears the worst for whenever her back is turned. She and the other Apples have agreed that Apple Bloom can be entrusted to take care of herself and not do anything irresponsible, so they should be able to keep that promise and give her that space because she’s a growing mare right now.


Back at the farm, Apple Bloom is cruising through her chores no problem and no worries going on like a young response adult taking charge of the place.

“Okay, number one seventy two: "Make sure to pump the bellows to keep the stove warm." She did exactly that by pumping the bellows before checking it off her list. “Check!" She looks at the next item on the list. “Make sure the hats and bows closet is fully stocked." She briefly opens said closet before quickly shutting it to avoid the extra work of having to clean that up. “Check!” She spits out the pencil once that was the last item of business needed to be taken care of. “That's everything on Applejack's list! And now that my chores are done, since there's no one else here, I get to make all the decisions!” She declared with a sense of freedom. “If I wanna listen to music, I can! If I wanna read a book, I can! If I wanna just stand here in the kitchen talkin' to myself, I can!” She said while doing all of those things briefly before moving to stand on the table.

“Apple Bloom!” Her older sister called for her after barging inside the house causing the startled filly to fall over.

“Whoa!” She ended up crashing into and spilling food onto her in the process. “Ugh... Applejack?”

“I came back to check on you, and I'm so glad I did!” She explained as she surveyed the mess around her. “I never thought about how dangerous things are around here!”

“Thanks, but I'm really gonna be okay.” Apple Bloom once more insisted she has nothing to worry about as she shook the spaghetti off of her head.

But Applejack still persisted while tightly hugging her. “You are now! Because I'm here and I'm stayin'! No way am I leavin' my little baby sister home alone all by herself!”

“I'm not a baby! I can take care of myself!” Apple Bloom protested in annoyance. “And what about those pies you're supposed to deliver?”

“Pies? Ha! Family's way more important than pies!”

“But I'm fine!” She repeated while her oblivious sister fetches a broom to clean up the mess. “And actually... this was kind of your fault.”

“I know. I should never have left you alone.” Applejack remarked clueless of what she really meant by that.

“But I don't need you lookin' after me.” Apple Bloom repeated. “I'm perfectly capable of stayin' home alone. Really!” She quickly retrieved her list. “Just look! "There's some soup for you in the 'frigerator."”

Applejack however had her back turned when she was trying to speak with her. “What was that?”

“Watch me!” She attempted to prove herself by retrieving said item from the fridge. But when she moved to leap onto one of the shelves grape jelly spilled on her head causing her to slip and end up spilling more food onto herself by the time her big sister finally turned her back towards her. “Whoa! Ugh!”

“Oh, no! This is worse than I thought!” Applejack quickly and wrongly assumed before rushing to hug her. “Well, don't worry, Apple Bloom, I'm here now and I'm not leavin' you home alone ever again. I'm stickin' right by your side, always!”

This is clearly, not the afternoon she expected nor wanted to have. Her big sister promised to leave her be and is once more treating her like a baby.

Once Applejack let go of her and moved to fetch some more cleaning supplies, the little filly quickly retreated outside in an attempt to get away from her.

“Apple Bloom? Apple Bloom!” Applejack called after her after taking notice she disappeared.

Said filly was hiding in the nearby corner of the barn. “Applejack's just overreactin' a bit. I'm sure she'll snap out of it.” But just when she turned her back, she was right there in front of her. “Whoa!”

“Since when did she gain Pinkie’s ability to do that?” She thought in her head.

“You need somethin'? I'm right here!” She eagerly asked.

“I know you mean well, but I don't need you watchin' over me! I can take care of things myself!” Apple Bloom once more tried to politely decline her going overboard. Applejack laughed it off just when she moved to fetch a rake in the nearby grass so she can start raking leaves. “Look!” Suddenly she sees a pillow tied to it. “Huh? Hey! Who put pillows on this rake?”

Applejack chuckled in response as she once more walks up towards her. “Oh, I don't know. Maybe someone who really loves her little sister and doesn't want her to get an owie?”

Apple Bloom growled in annoyance when she moved to pinch her cheeks and place a helmet on her head, clearly seeing this as too much already for her to tolerate.

It was just at that moment Kion arrived on the scene to witness the overprotective sister is already taking charge of things.

“Applejack! There you are!” He called out to her as he skidded to a stop inside the house but not without seeing the mess in the kitchen. “Whoa! What happened in here?”

“Nothing a little cleaning and watching after Apple Bloom won’t cure.” Applejack replied while paying no attention the lion cub standing at the doorway. “After what happened, I‘m never leaving her out of my sight.”

“But what did happen?” Kion asked for the truth while turning to Apple Bloom feeling that she would be more honest with Applejack running her head due to her obliviousness.

“I was just standing on the table getting very excited once I finished my chores when Applejack startled me with her sudden appearance back here.” She explained before glaring at said pony still sweeping and mopping the place up.

“Applejack…” Kion tried to speak with her to get her out the door on towards their delivery but she still refused to pay attention to him.

“It’s all right, I got some things I need to do here anyways. Can’t afford to waste another second protecting her.” She ignored while nuzzling the filly who moved to push herself free and huffed before storming outside at what was supposed to be a relaxing afternoon to herself.

Applejack still naïve to his little sister’s feelings followed after her with a bright smile still ready to protect her every step of the way, even though she clearly doesn’t want it.

Now determined to prove to her to Applejack that she can do the chores on her own she moved to try her hooves at applebucking only that Applejack went ahead and had nets placed on all of the trees so that all apples that fell out of the trees landed in the nets instead. And then when she tried to wheelbarrow the apples, Applejack placed training wheels on it to make it steady.

Both times she forced a helmet on her head which further increased her agitation and her older sister.

And she didn’t stop there because when she moved to go inside and found the place was covered in bubble wrap. “Oh, for the love of...! You've gone and baby-proofed everythin'!”

“Heh, yup!” Applejack eagerly nodded once more. “Your big sister let you down once, but I promise it won't ever happen again.”

“But really, I'm fine! I can take care of myself. I don't need you watchin' over me!” Apple Bloom once more insisted on deaf ears.

“Aw, that's sweet. I appreciate you tryin' to make me feel better, but don't worry. I'll always be here for you. Always!” She ignored while embracing her and placing another helmet over the helmet she kept placing on her much to the filly’s growling displeasure.

Kion seeing that this has gone far enough decided to try to take matters into his own paws. “Applejack, could I talk to you for a second?”

“Sure thing Kion!” She agreed while letting go of her sister who quickly retreated to her room.

After Apple Bloom had left, Kion decided to voice his opinion on the matter. “Now Applejack, I know that you are working really hard in protecting Apple Bloom and don’t take this the wrong way but truthfully, I think you’re taking this a little too far.”

“What do you mean?” Applejack asked as clueless as the next short-sighted pony. “How could what I’m doing be a tad bit much?”

“Well, for starters you baby-proofed the entire farm…” He showed her, said wrappings around the whole area around them. “…and secondly, you’re not giving your sister any breathing room either.”

“But I love her to pieces!” Applejack defended. “How could I bring it to ma self to leave her alone like that?”

Kion had carefully chose his next words to avoid misinterpreting his attempted message. “Not leaving her alone when she really needs it, but not “leaving”…” He emphasized on that word. “…her alone to when she doesn’t need help like right now.”

“But she does need me!” She asserted still smiling. “She ended up falling over the table when I came inside!”

“Because you startled her!” Kion nearly raised his voice and shouted. He quickly took a breath before continuing. “Because I know that she has great balance when not distracted by something along with the fact she is capable of handling the chores and herself around here on her own. And what happened to promising you’d let her handle things on her own today?”

“Hold up.” Applejack interrupted with a raised hoof before calling out while Kion slightly growled in irritation due to seeing the similarities of his dad in her in regards to his sister. “Hey, Apple Bloom! You need anything? A snack? A hoof massage? Maybe a snack while havin' a hoof massage?”

Sweetie Belle who was recruited alongside Scootaloo nearly spoke up interested until Apple Bloom quickly hushed her. “No thank you!” She replied with gritted teeth and forced politeness.

“O-kay, well you can count on me bein' close by if'n you need anythin'!”

Turning back to her friends in her covered crib she further felt her point was made with that question. “You see what I mean? If this keeps up, I'm never gonna be able to do anythin' without Applejack hoverin' over me!”

“Mm-hm.” Both her friends nodded.

“So what can we do? Hmm.” Scootaloo asked hoping they can try to figure something out to help their friend while she looks out her window feeling at a loss of how to handle this unbearable affection.

“Uh...” Sweetie was lost for suggestions.

“Um...” And so was Scootaloo.

“Hang on a sec! I got it!” Apple Bloom smiled with something on her mind when she spots her sister’s cart.

“What?” Sweetie asked as she and Scootaloo ran up to her.

“The pies! I'll sneak out and deliver them! Granny said that they were goin' to some incredibly hard-to-reach town. If I can do it alone, that'll show Applejack I don't need somepony watchin' over me!”

“Just one problem.” Scootaloo raised her hoof as she spoke up. “Your sister's gonna come back and check on you any minute!”

“Which means you need an escape plan.” Sweetie added as Scootaloo placed a hoof on her chin before thinking of an idea.

“Ooh, and I got an idea for one!” She eagerly flapped her little wings before rushing over to her closet where she has a stock load of pink bows before placing one on herself and Sweetie before tucking herself in the covers of Apple Bloom’s baby crib while mimicking Apple Bloom’s snoring to the best of her ability.
“See? It'll look just like you're sleeping in bed. Sweetie and I can take turns! That way, when one of us gets tired, the other can take over. Brilliant, huh?”

“Mmm-hmm!” Sweetie nodded.

Both of her friends smiled really liking the idea.

“This could work!” They thought.

“You know what? It is! I got a feelin' this just might work!” Apple Bloom came to agree before starting to get an upbeat feeling inside of her.

“We're gonna make my sister see

I don't need her watchin' over me—“

“Stop!” Scootaloo quickly interrupted while shoving her hoof into her hoof after hearing the sound of hoofsteps. “No time for a song! Applejack's coming!”

“If you're gonna go, we've gotta get you out of here now!” Sweetie urgently added before getting together with her friends for their group creed.

“Cutie Mark Crusaders, let's do it!”

Apple Bloom quickly made her way out through the window though ended up slipping and falling onto the tall piles of hay Applejack had previously stacked up leading down to the cart. “Whoa!”

“Guess that’s one good thing that came out of Applejack’s babyproofing the house.” She thought before saluting to her fellow Crusaders before making her way down to the cart and making her way out and away from the farm while they both wave after her.

“Everythin' okay in there, sugarcube?” Applejack asked once more thinking her little sister is in there.

“Quick, get in while I hide!” Scootaloo urgently instructed before moving to hide herself in the closet while Sweetie Belle moved to tuck herself under the covers while Scootaloo hid herself in the closet. But just when she did she saw something she didn’t like. “Sweetie, no! You gotta sleep like Apple Bloom!”

“How does she sleep?” Sweetie asked unsure of how to do it.

“Like she does everything! With sass!” She quickly replied just before they both assumed their positions when Applejack came inside and took a view of her surroundings.

“Huh. I guess you must've been so tuckered out, you sent your friends home and went to bed. Then again, you are a delicate flower. Sleep tight, Apple Bloom. I'll check on you again in a bit.”

She then turned around and left the room leaving the two fillies to sigh in relief seeing that their plan is working…just barely before quickly turning their heads back in position when Applejack came back inside no sooner than a few seconds.

“Just checkin' in on you again!”

She closed the door again and then reopened it again after another few seconds.

“Need anythin' now?”

And again.

“How 'bout now?”

And again.

“Need another blanket?”

And again.

“Did I hear a cough?”

And again.

“Want a glass of water?”

And again.

Fifteen minutes later, Kion faced the mare with an expression hoping that she is done worrying silly over Apple Bloom. “You about done yet?”

“Maybe after one more time.” She honestly replied after a brief pause and pondering before moving to do so. “Just... checkin' in on you again.” She sighed once more thinking that Kion’s right while he appears right behind her. “Look at you, dozin' so peaceful-like. Here I am, checkin' up on you every five seconds, and you're totally fine. Maybe you don't need me frettin' over you all the time.”

But just before Kion could smile in relief seeing that it’s about time they can get going, he noticed something a little off with “Apple Bloom.” when he managed to take a look at the color of “Apple Bloom’s” mane. Along with…

“Wow, Apple Bloom will be so glad to hear that!” Scootaloo’s eager and thoughtless moment of blurting.

“Huh? Scootaloo?”

“Uh, um, n-no.” She hastily replied back to no avail which had Applejack checking the covers while the leader of the Lion Guard moved to open the closet door to uncover the hiding filly.

“Scootaloo?”

“Sweetie Belle? But... where's Apple Bloom? She's not here!” The orange earth pony wondered and realized with fear and fretting overcoming her again. “She could be anywhere! She could be lost, cold, hungry, itchy, stuffed up, needin' to go to the bathroom!”

“Girls? Where is she?” Kion tuned and asked in a somewhat stern tone and raised eyebrow at the two girls expecting a good answer out of it.

“Don't worry, we know exactly where she is.” Sweetie quickly assured. “Yeah, she's making your pie delivery.” Scootaloo added.

“What?! No! Didn't she hear how difficult and dangerous it was?!” Applejack gasped still fearing for the worst with this information in light. “I may never see my little sister again!”

And just like that, Applejack’s greatest fears are reignited, only this time for a very darn good reason with the flashbacks all playing back in her mind.

“Applejack…” Kion once more asserted feeling that shouldn’t be punished for their deception (at least not overly) considering of what led to this. “…we’ll deal with them later.”

“I hear ya, Kion!” Applejack replied acknowledging that argument but has a bigger priority on her hooves while glaring at the two fillies still feeling they have to face some consequences for their actions. “But they at least need somepony to watch over!”

And she made good on her promise by getting in contact with another adult to watch over the two while she and Kion go out and rescue Apple Bloom before returning to the kitchen to where both Sweetie and Scootaloo are sitting and facing the mare giving them a cross look for their behavior.

“Okay, Rarity's on her way here to look after you two.” She began before moving forward with her primary concern. “Now tell me, did Apple Bloom at least bring flameproof boots?” Both girls had no idea what she is talking about and neither did Kion while looking at each other further growing the farm pony’s concerns. “A lion tamer's chair?” Neither of them replied while looking aside regretfully with Applejack’s ears lowered that it was getting more and more clear of how much trouble she is in. “A snake charmin' flute?!” She asked with a hoof to her teeth while the two fillies while looking aside with the unicorn biting her lips in response. “A hunk of ricotta?!” She asked with her hooves to her cheeks now horrified with Scootaloo lowering her head to the ground while Sweetie buries her face into her hooves in response. It was now all clear of how deep her little sister is in when she started biting her nails again. Hoping for the better, she takes a moment to calm herself down before speaking her thoughts again. “Okay, maybe there's still time to catch her before she gets there.” She then asked the Crusaders one last question. “When did she leave?”

“It must've been hours ago.” Sweetie honestly admitted.

Now Kion was starting to get a little worried himself. “Are you sure?” He asked while looking at the clock which shows that it’s been a half hour since they arrived back here. “Because we both got here at around 6:00.”

“Yes, right around there.” Scootaloo didn’t deny that they weren’t thinking straight in regards to the time and the consequences Apple Bloom would be facing going on the path she is now on.

“Oh, no!”

“Hevi Kabisa!”

“Put these on and carry these…” Applejack handed him boots big enough for his paws “…and follow me because we have no time to waste!” She declared before rushing out the door just as Rarity arrived in front of the front door.

“Hey! Sorry! No time to waste! Go to rescue someone!” Kion shouted after the confused fashionista while playing catch up to Applejack in protective big sister mode right now.

The mare turned to both her sister and her friend who both sheepishly grinned feeling ashamed for further setting the domino effect in place knowing she is going to hear the full story too.


Meanwhile, Apple Bloom herself has arrived at the swamp herself, and is already having growing second thoughts coming here all by herself due to the eerie surroundings and orange smoky geysers. The place itself was literally a place only the hyena would enjoy if they ever visited this place along with anyone who deserves a place in Tartarus or liked visiting the volcano in the Outlands.

Apple Bloom feeling something is wrong with this path tried to figure out the true course of direction. “I can't see a darn thing in this swamp.” And for added measure of bad luck one of the fiery geysers shot up and burned her map before she could figure it out. And then for scary good measure she sees an equally scary looking creature approaching her. “Well, now at least I can see.”

A chimera with a creepy bloodthirsty grin approaching their prey. A creature consisting of a black furred goat, and a green python snake both attached to a tiger and goat’s body with the former’s body upfront and the latter’s body in the rear. In addition the snake served as the creature’s tail.

When said creature emerged from the shadows, Apple Bloom was quick to try to make a run for it. But nearby geysers right around her blocked her path to the point when she tried to run. Then she finds herself face to face with the tiger’s face.

“I'd stay where you are. This is the only safe spot around here.” The tiger sinisterly advised which did little to at ease the nervous whimpering from the frightened filly.

“It don't look so safe to me.”

“Oh, we just mean from the flames.” The tiger’s head corrected.

“Yeah, not from us.” The goat’s head added.

“What was that?” The snake head asked not quite catching that. “Ah, can you guysss ssspeak up?”

“I was about to tell our guest how we haven't eaten in days.” The tiger head replied to the intimidated foal in front of them.

“My sisters and I can never agree on what to eat.” The goat head said.

“Excccept... pie.” The snake head added while eyeing the pie cart behind Apple Bloom who both looked back at the cart attached to her before turning back with a sheepish grin.

“Well, unfortunately, I gotta get these pies to a town on the other side of the swamp, so, uh...” Apple Bloom tried to be polite and excuse herself but the chimera wasn’t going to let her get away that easy.

“Oh, you don't have to worry about that.”

“Yeah, you don't have to worry about anything anymore.”

“Because we're going to have our apple pie with a ssside of filly filet.”

“You don't say.” Apple Bloom returned while slowly backing away from the fierce some beast approaching her menacingly.

“Now, sisters, on three!” The tiger head stated. “One!”

“Two!” The goat said next while Apple Bloom is backed up against a tree behind her.

“Three!” A voice cried out before the snake could say it.

And just when all three heads are all wondering who said they were all knocked off their feet and ended up falling flat on their back by a blast of pink and red colored magic.

Apple Bloom turned and smiled when she saw a very familiar face appear and run up to confront the chimera while flapping her wings and charging up her horn. She was currently wearing black flame-proof boots and was carrying her light blue saddle-bag on her back.

“Run!” Twilight ordered of her with her eyes locked on the chimera getting right back up ready to try to fight her.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the leader of the Pony Guard who served that monstrous lion Scar.” The tiger head smugly remarked in an effort to try to play mind games on her.

“Sure seems fitting that you of all ponies would be wandering around here.” The goat added.

“Especially seeing that you had it coming for betraying those you held close and dear to heart.” The snake further said. “Must be feeling ashamed of yourself for nearly resorting to killing your own brother.”

“Enough talk!” Twilight growled not about to be talked down from saving those who need it before firing another blast of magic right at the beat’s chest with the tiger letting loose a howl of pain in response before doubling over in pain.

Both the goat and snake hissed venomously right at Twilight for striking their companion with the latter lunging at the alicorn trying to bite her while carrying their weight. Twilight having prepared for this, pulled out a pie from her saddle-bag before slamming it right in its face while kicking the goat’s head when she tried to catch her by surprise.

During the distraction, Apple Bloom quickly made a run for it while wheeling the cart away from the scene. She managed to avoid more geysers along the way but ended up losing the cart when it managed to detach from her after hitting a rock she didn’t see.

“No!” She screamed after realizing it happened just seconds later before quickly retreating to retrieve it.

Before she could reach she was intercepted by the chimera who growled once more at her while dodging another magical blast from their attacker.

“Where do you think you're going?” The tiger demanded ready to pounce on her once more before being knocked aside from another blast of magic from Twilight and singed from a beaming geyser right in front of her.

The snake moved to try to bite Apple Bloom who quickly ran as fast as she can to avoid being bitten around the creature causing her to accidentally tie up the other’s paws and hooves together. The chimera ended up falling to the ground after being tripped up.

While Twilight continued to ensnare the chimera with her magic, Apple Bloom quickly moved to get the cart out of harm’s way.

She struggled to do so due to pushing it up the nearby hill in front of her, before successfully managing to do so along with rolling it down towards the nearby bushes before the creature could spot it.

“Where are the pies?!” The tiger demanded while struggling in vain to break free from Twilight’s grasp.

“They're not back here.” The snake returned in a bickering tone.

“This is your fault!” The goat accused towards the tiger head. “You think you've always got to be in charge!”

The tiger sighed before turning back to the two ponies in front of them. “You're both lucky, you know? You've got no idea what it's like to have a sister constantly looking over your shoulder!”

“Uh, actually...” Apple Bloom tried to speak before being interrupted.

“Let's try listening to me for a change!” The goat protested. “And I say, if there are no pies, let's settle for the filly filet along with the alicorn steak!”

“I don’t think so!” Twilight roared while doubling down her magic before charging her horn to send electricity down their spines.

The attack left the creature burned up with smoke emerging from their fur. All they could do was groan and moan while choking up in horrible pain. But the chimera was slowly able to pick herself up while growling at both ponies with the alicorn standing in front of the filly with her horn charged again and wings spread out ready to defend themselves.

“Any lassst wordsss?” The snake hissed in the duo’s direction ready to lunge at them once more.

“I really wish my sister were here!” Apple Bloom prayed even with Twilight’s protection.

And her prayers have been answered when she heard her voice call out to her. “Hang on, Apple Bloom! I'm a-comin'!”

Said mare along with Kion appeared both leaping over the flames while both wearing the same flame-proof boots with the former having her saddle-bag in tow.

“Get her!” Both the tiger and the goat commanded but not with the latter bickering once more.

“Hey! I thought I was in charge now!”

The tiger growled in response before charging right at both Applejack and Kion who likewise both charged back.

Applejack was able swiftly duck under the chimera while Kion leaping up and slashed his claws on the tiger’s cheeks while barely avoiding being swiped by her. Just when she was recovering from the attack, Kion quickly sprinted under the chimera while Applejack plays a specifically specific flute towards the snake.

A snake flute to which had the snake itself feeling drowsy and ended up falling asleep because of the soothing music she played.

The tiger growled before lunging right at her, but Applejack was once more prepared when she held up a wooden chair just when she opened her jaws at her. She ended up struggling to move her jaws and shook her head for a good ten seconds before finally snapping them and breaking the chair in the process.

“Howdy!” Applejack called out to the creature while waving her hoof.

“Over here!” Kion challenged ready for another charge from them.

The tiger enraged from the lion’s earlier attack lunged towards him at the same time Kion lunged back. But this time, Kion did something smarter. He leaped under the chimera used his precise version of the roar while sliding under to send the tiger crashing face first into the tree Applejack was standing in front of.

The tiger ended up getting his teeth sunk in so deep she couldn’t break herself free. Not helped that the snake head is still deep in her sleep to the point her head got stuck on the opposite tree behind them.

The goat who couldn’t free the others or herself faced off as both Kion and Applejack approached her. She growled threateningly in response but they both responded by simply handing her two globs of cheese for her to happily munch on before walking away.

“Mm, ricotta!”

While the chimera was now neutralized, both Applejack and Kion moved to run out of the forest while leaping around and dodging the geysers they’ve encountered along the way. Once they managed to get out of there, they both managed to regroup with Apple Bloom and Twilight with the former riding on the latter’s back.

“Are you okay?” Applejack asked her little sister.

“Thanks to all three of you.” Apple Bloom expressed her relief.

And with that out of the way Applejack was quick to scold her for doing so in the first place. “I told you you need your big sister lookin' after you! I'm just glad this wasn't a whole lot worse.” Apple Bloom along with Kion and Twilight frowned in response. “I mean, sure we lost the cart and all the pies, but at least you're—“ She stopped mid-rant after seeing her uncover the pie cart from the nearby bushes. “…huh, the cart! And all the pies!” She said now delighted to see it. “You actually got them all the way up here? In the dark? Through the Flame Geyser Swamp? Past that monster? ...By yourself?” She asked now astonished that she actually managed all of that before being rescued.

“Well... yeah.” She answered honestly.

“Huh, wow.” Applejack said now very amazed that she actually did all of that. “That's mighty impressive! Anypony who can do that on her own, well, she don't need somepony like me babyin' her.”

“About time!” Apple Bloom exclaimed in frustration startling her big sister in the process. “And to think that it took a trip back baby-proofing the barn to push me into proving myself.”

“Huh?”

“I even managed to handle doing the chores on my own before you came back and it was only you appearing by surprise did I fall over that table.” She further voiced her complaining.

“But I…” Applejack tried to argue back before realizing the sincerity in her tone along with remembering Kion trying to talk to her earlier. “…was just trying to protect you much like what happened years ago.” She admitted remorsefully. “Acting like it was really going to happen if I actually left you alone at the barn.” She sighed heavily with her ears lowering along with her head in shame. “But I ended up nearly re-creating that there scene back there by driving you away.” Now did Applejack realize how over-protective she’s been acting and what Kion has been trying to tell her. All of that worry and fretting was all for nothing and actually created more harm than good. A feeling that Twilight herself can relate to to when she was a filly herself too.

“Oh, Apple Bloom…” She spoke very regretful now. “I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to make you feel inferior. In fact, none of this would have happened had I trusted you in the first place.”

“Well, true…” Her sister didn’t deny of how true it is. “…but I will admit going after the sheep by myself back then was pretty crazy too.”

“But you were young and didn’t know any better.” Applejack insisted she is not at fault here. “Any filly your age would have done the same thing you did.”

“Really?”

“Of course.” Twilight vouched for her. “Even ponies who try to be perfect all the time.”

“Like you?”

“Yep.” She nodded while looking aside trying not to laugh at some of her follies while the others tried their hardest not to laugh nor question what kind of funny situations she got herself into when she was young before the mare continued to voice her thoughts on the subject. "And with all joking aside and point being, coming from a pony who knows what it's like to have an older sibling who constantly loves and watches over your shoulder to when you're young, I know what it's like, Apple Bloom. With Shining Armor, it can be pretty frustrating at times but he did it because he loved me and just didn't want to see me get hurt...again." She then turned to Applejack. "It eventually took a little talk with Shining Armor to get him to understand that I do not need him watching over me 24/7 once I got to a point I could handle certain things on my own and that I can count on him to be there for me when I really need it and I think you two can do same."

Applejack pondered her words yet curious of what happened to Twilight that had her experiencing something similar but decided it was worth finding on another time before turning back to Apple Bloom so they can smooth things over.

“Well I know one thing’s for sure out of all of this is that if Big Mac, Granny Smith 'n I ever have to be away for the day again...” Applejack began sounding somewhat stern at first much to the other’s worries until she added in a much entrusting tone. “…I would totally trust you to stay home and take care of things on your own.”

“Yes!” Apple Bloom smiled with glee hearing that she really means it this time around. ”Now that is the kind of 'looking after me' that I can definitely appreciate!” She then asked to make sure they have buried the hatchet here. “So... we're good?”

“Little sister, we're always good.” Applejack assured while placing her front left hoof around her back to hug her and nuzzle her forehead while her little sister reciprocates it in return.

Just after embracing her sister Applejack turned to Twilight with a curious question lingering in her mind. “Speaking of which, what were you doing all the way out here all by yourself?”

“Oh, I was just taking a walk through here.” Twilight replied while looking aside. “Felt a little more interested in doing a little exploring.”

“Are you sure?” Kion asked feeling her excuse is off here and looking at her very concerned of what's really bugging her. “Because it’s really not like you to wander into places you know have dangerous creatures inside of.”

“Yeah…” Applejack agreed sharing the young lion's concerned and inquiring look. “…you sure it’s not something else?”

“I’m sure.” Twilight insisted but after seeing the imploring looks of the others did she sigh and give in. “Better than walking around a town of ponies and Pride Landers who want nothing do with me.”

“What do you mean?” Apple Bloom inquired.

“I mean I just can’t feel comfortable being around them.” Twilight answered before turning to the little filly to clarify the reason. “And if you’ve heard from both Applejack and Kion you would know why.”

“Right. The whole working alongside that evil demon Scar.” Apple Bloom acknowledged since she was there when it happened.

“Exactly.”

“Have you ever apologized to everyone?” She asked still filled with questions.

“Apple Bloom…” Applejack tried to get her from feeling pressured into answering a question she doesn’t want to answer.

“I did to my brother, but not everyone else since it wouldn’t matter if I apologized or not.” She answered feeling the need to assert why it won’t just work. “You don’t just go around committing treachery and coming back saying “Hey, I’m sorry, I acted like an evil jerk and sided with the Pride Land’s worst enemy trying to take control of the world after a traumatic experience in my life.”” She sighed to calm her tone down before turning away from them to avoid the urge to scoff at them. “It just doesn’t work that way and go away overnight like anyone would read from one of those classic fairy tales you’ve probably read in life.”

“Well I’m not going to lie I wouldn’t blame them for not wanting to trust you after what you did.” Applejack bluntly remarked.

“Thanks.” She sarcastically responded still having her back turned. “There’s no denying that. Along with having to perform community service to help repay Ponyville for the damages just after getting double-crossed by Scar himself.” She then looked back at the three with the farm pony now regretting saying that last bit feeling that moment of honesty was a little too much. “And I don’t blame you if none of you want to have anything to do with me after all of that.”

“Oh, come on, Twi.” Apple Bloom attempted to encourage her from thinking otherwise. “Just confront that big bad kitty yourself! Fight him, defeat him, and reconquer the Pride Lands in your name. Then everyone will forgive and forget the whole thing ever happened!”

Twilight shook her head. “Maybe if Scar wasn’t an evil entity crossover of a lion and alicorn that I by the way ended up creating myself.”

“But you did it to save everyone!” Apple Bloom shook her head and pointed out. “You had no choice!”

“I know but even if I did, others are still going to remember me as the pony who turned her backs on those who cared about her and helped Scar conquer the Pride Lands in the first place.” Twilight countered while shaking her head. “As of now when I walk by them all I get is others reacting in fear of me before running away along with others who give me looks of scorn in return. Only unlike Luna it’s not Nightmare Night.”

“True.” Kion said. “But if it’s any constellation, everyone’s just scared of what’s been going on is all. And I’m sure you know the rest of the Guard along with the other princesses know that too.”

“And you can always be honest and come to us whenever you need comfort and all.” Applejack added. “And I’m also sure that compared to Scar, they hate him even more because of the one thing he doesn’t have.”

“And that is?”

“Like what we said the other day, a true heart.” Kion answered. “You proved that when you chose to save everyone from Scar when he held everyone captive by giving up your dark magic. And now because of it you’re now free from his influence with your scar no longer bugging into making these decisions in his name.”

Twilight’s mood failed to change at least until Apple Bloom hugged her tightly and had this to say. “And even with your scar, I still see another friend I can trust and count on to have my back when I need it just like you did back there.” She gestured her eyes towards the swamp to where the chimera is still struggling to break free. “Speaking of which, before our creepy friend breaks free, I’m thinking maybe we should get going.”

“Good idea, Apple Bloom. Let’s go!” Applejack agreed while quickly scooping up her little sister before remembering and actually placing her back down on the ground after realizing that she didn’t ask if she wanted it before moving towards the cart. “Sorry, sis. I don’t suppose you um, want me to carry you do you?”

“For once, I would actually love that.”Apple Bloom accepted the offer before moving to hop back on her big sister’s back before turning back to the cart so they could carry the cart on over to their destination.

But when she did they saw that Twilight had already moved to hook the cart to her back before moving to carry the pies on over to their destination. Considering she is now used to performing these chores at this point in life, she had no qualms of doing the heavy-lifting this time around.

“Are you sure you got it, Twilight?” Kion asked recalling that strength isn’t her biggest feat compared to magic.

“Not a problem, Kion.” Twilight happily replied while moving forward and carrying the cart like it’s no biggie. “And in case you’re wondering, I have been working out a little more lately, and it also helps that I’m an alicorn now.”

“You don’t say?” Applejack asked now mighty impressed compared to her first Winter Wrap Up. “I would have never been able to do the math on that even if takes one to put two and two together.”

Twilight giggled in response. “You do realize you just made a math pun do you?”

Applejack widens her eyes and then shook her head now amused. “Well not until now I did." She chuckled at herself. "How about that?”

While the four all managed to share some smiles over the whole thing, they all pressed forward together with their journey together and it all when through no problem and every pony who was at the town they arrived in were all very happy as they all carried out with their celebration together.

Author's Note:

In this episode, Apple Bloom has now reached a coming of age where she can take care of herself on her own and she sure is excited...

...at least until her overly-protective big sister Applejack decided to keep a close eye on her even after giving her word.

For this version, as you have already read at this point I decided to add in a couple of things here such as giving a past encounter with the chimera to give Applejack a sympathetic reasons for being over-protective of Apple Bloom. Another was adding Twilight into this episode near the end to back her up in not only against the chimera but also being there to vouch that Apple Bloom can look out for herself without someone constantly watching over her.

And for those wondering, considering that Twilight is the younger sibling of the family, she can definitely relate to her plight very well along with her current lifestyle of self-isolation from a town that fears and or hates her.

Next up is the Lion and Pony Guard going to a trader event at Rainbow Falls where ponies get to trade their items for something they want in return, a place where friendship comes into play of how and what is it worth trading for so stay tuned until then...

PreviousChapters Next