• Published 14th Aug 2021
  • 1,534 Views, 49 Comments

Cozy Glow: Psychology PhD - Jmaster49



Cozy Glow, having been given a new life, is now a psychiatrist working to help troubled children that were just like her.

  • ...
7
 49
 1,534

Patient 3, Part 7

Surprisingly, Ash was rather blunt with me. Clicking his claws on the table, he rolled his eyes and asked me straight up.

“...why do you care about me so much?”

“Hm?” I paused-mid slurp of Saffron’s curry, then swallowed the rest. “Whaddya mean, kiddo?”

“I heard rumors that ponies only look out for their personal best-interests in order to make themselves look better as the progenitors of ‘friendship’ as a form of magic,” Ash explained as he folded his arms. “Do you believe in such a thing?”

“...Well…that’s a loaded question,” I dodged that, not knowing how to answer. I don’t speak for all ponies. How am I supposed to answer something like that?! No way. Instead, all I could do was answer his first question. “...but as far as caring about you goes, of course I do. I want you to feel happy and safe. Friendship stuff be damned.”

Ash stared at me for a moment as if I had two heads. What I said must have resonated with him on some level. “...You’re willing to do whatever it takes to help me then, hm?”

“Of course,” I reiterated with a nod, “You can tell me anything. It’s all confidential. I promise. Nothing you tell me will leave my lips to anyone. Not even Smolder. Not unless you want me to speak to her that is.”

After a moment of silence, Ash relented, and decided to speak up for himself. “...Alright. To make a long story short…I used to be a thief. I grew up with no one to call family, so I did whatever I could to survive. Including stealing.”

“...Ouch…I know what it’s like to not have anyone to call your own family,” I replied with a frown. That hit me rather hard as I remembered what my foalhood was like. Not exactly the most fun times.

“...But it’s even worse for me,” he went on, “As a dragon, stealing from other dragons is considered a death sentence. You’d better be stronger than the one you’re trying to steal from or else you’re going to face…a lot of pain and humiliation.”

Considering how dragon culture was sometimes, I was almost too scared to ask. But this was my job, so I had no choice but to inquire.

“...what kind of pain and humiliation?”

Ash hesitated for a moment, but eventually explained. “...A harsh beating, followed by burial up to your neck in lava. Don’t worry--we’re fireproof. But it’s still like being buried in sand to where you can’t move at all.”

“...That’s horrible,” I muttered.

Ash shrugged his shoulders and leaned forward with his arms on the table. “It’s the way of the dragons. You’re either weak or strong and that determines your value amongst your peers. Smolder’s been doing her best to keep things civil and loads of dragons have adopted to her new ways…but some not so much.”

“I get it now,” I replied, “You’re being bullied by those stuck in the ways of the older dragon lords. You feel pressured into acting a certain way when you don’t want to.”

“Don’t get me wrong,” he replied, “I understand the value of standing up for myself. Being tough does have its time and place when it’s necessary. But I think there’s still too many dragons that take things too far.”

Okay, now that I was getting somewhere, it was time to bounce off of his perspective.

“Alrighty-roo. If you had the opportunity to change the way dragons are viewed, what would you do?”

Ash looked upwards as he gave it some thought. “Hm…I suppose I’d do what I can to prove that dragons don’t need to be mean to get their point across. That…showing kindness isn’t to show weakness.”

“Goodie. I think I know of a way you can do that--”

He then raised a brow. “...Are you sure? No offense, but…you’re a pony. I’m not sure if you’ll adapt to dragon culture very well.”

“...Kiddo. I’ve done a lot of mean things in my life for the sake of power. Trust me. They’ll get to see exactly what it means once we have you show your stuff off.”

“...Show what off exactly? There isn’t anything remotely remarkable about me.”

“Are you kidding? I saw you out there during those training sessions,” I consoled him and tried my best to encourage him. “You’ve got a style unlike anyone else’s.”

Ash rolled his eyes and rested his chin in the palm of his claw with his elbow on the table. “...Ignoring the fact that you were watching me, how does that--in any way--prove that I have what it takes to help make positive changes on dragon culture?”

I rubbed my hooves together. As much as I didn’t like to admit it, I still enjoyed scheming from time to time in order to accomplish whatever it was I wanted to accomplish. Of course, this was all for the sake of Ash, but the rush of coming up with a plan never got old.

“Let’s just say...I have a few ideas.”