• Published 14th Aug 2021
  • 1,534 Views, 49 Comments

Cozy Glow: Psychology PhD - Jmaster49



Cozy Glow, having been given a new life, is now a psychiatrist working to help troubled children that were just like her.

  • ...
7
 49
 1,534

Patient 3, Part 5

“Yeah. He’s a total weirdo,” the griffon girl went on, “He doesn’t like showing off his strengths at all and prefers to stay hidden in the background. It was…kinda shocking to be honest. I thought dragons loved being the center of attention.” She folded her arm claws and shook her head, “He’s cute, but that’s about it really. Nowhere near as tough as I thought he was.”

I narrowed my eyes and tilted my head.

“Okaaaay--unnecessary personal comment aside, do you think this could play into Ash having any insecurities at all?”

The griffon shrugged her shoulders. “I dunno. You’re the psychiatrist. I’m just telling you what I’ve seen. Don’t take it as gospel.”

I rubbed my hoof against my chin as I gave it some thought. Was this griffon really being truthful or was she trying to throw me off? Griffons had a long-standing history of stabbing everyone--including each other--in the flank, so taking what she said at face value could prove to be my undoing.

“Right…I’ll keep that in mind,” then I asked, “Oh by the way. What’s your--”

But the next time I blinked, she had flown off before I had even finished talking. Rude. But I couldn’t focus on it too much. But what if there was some truth in what she said and Ash really did feel insecure about himself? I guess the only way I’d be able to find out is if I tailed him some more throughout the day.

Once their combat classes were over, everyone would head back inside to the showers to get cleaned up. I stood out in one of the hallways and looked at the itinerary board to see what exact class Ash would have next…

“Let’s see. Wake-up, self-defense training…arts and crafts,” I muttered as I dragged my hoof down the list. “Alright. So that’s what’s next. Now which way is the--”

“Excuse me,” a small female voice called out to me. It was the zebra filly from before. “I need to get to the arts room. We’re creating abstract shapes to represent our cultures and I absolutely cannot be late under any circumstances.”

“Oh, sorry,” I stood aside and allowed her to look at the board. “I’m just…patrolling the area, ya know? Call me security.”

Surprisingly, the zebra girl bought it. Then again, she looked far more interested in her school’s schedule than whatever I had to say at that moment. “Yeah, yeah--that’s nice. Anyway, let’s see…ah. Here it is. Room 4D4. Alright, gotta get going.” And with that, she started prancing off towards the room.

I didn’t want to follow her straight away because that’d make me look creepy. Instead, I waited for her to round the next corner of the building, and then took after her. Hopefully the arts teacher wouldn’t mind me hanging around in the background.

Speaking of which, who was the art teacher anyway?

Well, when I got to the room, I (unfortunately) got my answer…

“Gather around, fillies, gentlecolts, and…other assorted randomized creatures that have been written into the background of this scene--and express yourself with colors on paper!”

Discord. What was he doing here? Last I heard, he had naearly destroyed the place and all of the students within it about 15 or so years ago. In what universe could they have a good reason to bring him back for?

“What-the-what?” I muttered as I stepped back and away from the art class as Discord began to give a lecture on paint. It felt surreal to see the embodiment of chaos apply himself to something for the benefit of others. Nay, it felt insane.

To my right, I saw Sunburst walking through the hall, and immediately brought myself over to ask him.

“Excuse me, Mr. Sunburst. But are you aware that Discord is in one of your classrooms and is currently trying to ‘teach’ art?” I added with airquotes via my wingfeathers.

Much to my surprise, Sunburst responded amicably. “Oh don’t worry. He’s learned his lesson and won’t be trying the same stunts that he used to pull when we were younger. Plus, he’s only here because our usual art teacher couldn’t make it today due to a sickness. Everyone was so busy that Discord offered to fill in for her.”

Well that sounded better than I thought. I suppose I could give him a chance if everyone else is willing to. Besides, he wasn’t my focus anyways.

“Alright. Thanks for the explanation. Have you seen Ash around? His next class is art, correct?”

Sunburst pulled out his notes and confirmed it. “Yup. Just be careful. From what we’ve seen so far, Ash gets rather…protective of his craft.”

“...protective?”

That’s when we heard a familiar dragon's voice call out from the art room.

“...don’t mess with my work! You’re disrespecting my art!”

“...Hoo boy,” I muttered, dreading to think about what that could be the result of.