• Published 22nd Jul 2021
  • 1,083 Views, 27 Comments

A Twilight Rose Love - Mystic Sunrise



After a breakup, Pearl Rose finds love in a place that she never expected.

  • ...
25
 27
 1,083

Ch. 24

“Are you sure about this, Twilight? Looks like every newspaper and radio station in Equestria and the Crystal Empire are here. Heck. I think I ever see one from Mount Aris,” Spike said, coming backstage one last time.

From back here, Twilight and Pearl could hear the murmur from the crowd outside. That was to be expected. When the Princess of Equestria announced she had a major announcement, ponies everywhere began talking about what it might mean.

Twilight nodded. “I am, Spike. If ponies can’t accept who I love? Then it is their problem, not mine.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “That’s not what I meant, Twilight, and you know it. Honestly, I was wondering if you two would ever tie the not. All of Ponyville is behind you. Heck. Probably most of the Crystal Empire too. It’s what else you’re planning.”

Pearl wrapped a wing around the alicorn. “Come on, Spike, you know ponies have been talking about this for years. It’s about time Twily stopped beating around this bush.”

Twilight nodded, a fire burning in her eyes. “Indeed. It is time I put my hooves down on this. The next Thunder will find a very different pony to what the council did.”

Spike winced at the reminder. “And what about what Kohaku keeps saying? You know how pushy he’s getting.”

Twilight just smiled. “Well then. That’s for me to know, and everyone else to find out. And I think we’ve made them wait long enough. Come along Pearl.”

Spike gave the Pegasus a pleading look. But Pearl could shrug helplessly as she followed after her fiance.


The crowd hushed as the princess and her fiance came to the podium. Few were shocked to see them together. Over the past year, tongues had wagged about what it meant for the two of them to be spending so much time together again.

Pearl’s family was well known all across Equestria and was well respected. All knew she had been Princess Twilight’s Personal Student once, but this felt like more.

In the back, Celestia, Luna, Twilight, and Pearl’s friends and family all sat. Only they knew what was to come, but not all.

Twilight cleared her throat as she came to the podium. “Everyone, thank you for coming today. I have two very important announcements I wish to make. Two that will affect us all.”

That caused quite a stir, and even Celestia was taken aback by this.

Twilight steadied herself, before pushing forward. “Effective immediately, I am retiring my title. Henceforth, there will be no Princess of Equestria.”

There wasn’t a sound at this, everyone was too shocked and stunned to say a word. Even those closest to the pair could not believe what they had just heard. Rarity fainted right away.

Twilight held up a hoof before the storm of questions began. “But that does mean that I am retiring from ruling this fair land. I have no plans to do so now. Or anytime soon. Recent events have shown me, however, that I have been too lenient in some regards. Especially protecting those I love. No more.”

There were muffled words at this. Some had heard rumors there had been a plot to remove the princess from power. Was this true? Could this be the result?

Twilight let this continue for a moment before holding up a hoof for silence. “A day may come in the far future when a successor may change this. But that is for them to decide.”

A young reporter, from the Manehatten Daily Bugle by his badge, couldn’t take it any longer and held up a hoof. “Your highness. If you’re no longer a princess. Then what are you?”

Twilight smiled. She liked the colt. He was much nicer than his Editor that was for sure. “I am glad you asked, Parker.” She stood to her full height and spread her wings. “From now, until such a time as I feel I can no longer do so, I will rule as Queen Twilight Sparkle. The Royal Proclamation has already been promulgated and will be despatched later today.”

The collective jaw drops almost made Twilight lose her composure and burst into giggles, but she held it together for the moment. “And I will not rule alone.”

Everyone was even more confused at this. Only her friends and family shared knowing looks, putting their shock aside for the moment.

Pearl blushed as Twilight pulled her alongside her. “Today. I am happily announcing my engagement to the love of my life, Pearl Rose. This past year has shown me that I cannot do this alone, and I cannot think of anyone better to rule at my side than her.”

This came as an even bigger shock. It was common knowledge that the former princess preferred mares. But no one had expected this.

Pearl took more satisfaction than she probably should have at the looks she was getting. But at the moment, she didn’t really care.

Twilight allowed all of that to sink in for a moment before her smile grew. “Now. I will take any questions you all may have.”

It took only a moment before the entire room burst into a torrent of questions.


“That went much better than I expected,” Twilight said happily, the last of the reporters finally satisfied with her answers to all of their questions.

Celestia shook her head. “Are you truly sure of this, Twilight? Luna and I were offered the title of queen when we took the thrones. Yet we felt it was not right of us to do so.”

Luna nodded. “Indeed. There is a reason why the title died with Unicornia. Platinum was even worse than her father if it can be believed. The other Founders were not much better to be fair.”

Twilight nodded, pulling Pearl close as she did. “I mean it. You know what Thunder was planning to do. The Canterlot Elite Council was too easy for him to buy or coerce. No more.”

The group all shared concerned looks. Ever since she had returned from the Void Between Worlds, Twilight had been different.

“I need to better protect the ones I love. The home I love.” Twilight looked out the window at the forest growing toward her castle. “I can’t afford to fail because if I do…” Closing her eyes Twilight sighed. “I have his assurance he’ll stick to his borders and I trust him. But if something does happen, I’m afraid he’ll sweep through Equestria like wildfire. The oath aside, I don’t want to be on Kohaku’s bad side. He’s put more into this land than all of us combined. I want to make him just as proud as I do all of you.”

Turning around she stood tall and smiled at everypony there. Gone was the bookish and studious mare they knew. In her place was a ruler sure of herself, a mare who walked with surety and purpose, and gods help anyone who stood in her way, for Twilight would not bow to anyone. In this world or the next.

A mare who radiated what it meant to be Queen of Equestria.

The sight made Celestia smile. “Then I know you will be a far better ruler than we could have ever hoped to have been, Queen Twilight. Equestria will prosper for it. I know so.”

Pearl rolled her eyes as she made for the exit. “You guys have fun. Me? Luster and I have a date in the Dragon Lands. I postponed it once. Not this time.”

Twilight’s face fell. “What? Now? Why can’t it wait a bit longer? There’s so much we need to do before the wedding.”

Pearl nodded. “Yeah, I know. But all the nonsense with the other world messed everything up. There was no way in hell other me could’ve fooled Tiamat, or even known what I do. Luster couldn’t have taught her enough to make her being younger look convincing either. She may have pulled off the meeting with the eastern dragon delegates. But she can’t pull me off on everything.”

Twilight rubbed her temples. That was true. “And how did you manage to fake being her in her world?”

Pearl smirked. “Who says I did? Their Twilight, Kohaku, and Princess Sunset already knew. I just made it clear to everyone else who I really was eventually. Much easier than faking it.”

Sunset still wasn’t sure how she felt about that. Other universe (or multiverse if she understood it correctly) or not, her being an alicorn and a princess was still something she couldn’t understand.

Twilight pouted, but she knew it was pointless to argue with Pearl when it came to dragons. “Then you be sure you bring her back, Pearl Rose. I can’t stand the thought of something happening to either of you.”

Pearl’s smirk melted into a gentle smile as he kissed the alicorn. “Relax, Twily. She’ll be fine. As long as Luster does everything I say, she’ll be fine. I seriously don’t think Luster is that hard-headed.”

Twilight giggled. “She can be when she puts her mind to it. But I trust nopony else but you to keep her safe.”

Pearl nodded, before heading for the door, being sure to put an extra sway in her hips, tickling Twilight’s nose with her tail as she did, earning a moan from the alicorn, before disappearing.

Rarity clapped her hooves in excitement, finally able to stop hiding her glee at the idea of the upcoming wedding. “Come now, darling. There are a few things we can do while Pearl and Luster are away that does not require you both.”

Cadance nodded. “I’m assuming Pearl knows what you asked me sometime back?”

Twilight nodded, relaxing now that everything was back on track it seemed. “She does. It was a weight off of her shoulders as well.”

Rarity nodded. “Then we are already off to a good start. Oh, I need to get started on your wedding dress! I’m not doing it for a princess anymore. But a queen! That demands I give it my all!”

Twilight groaned. “Rarity. You don’t need to do all of that for me.”

But Rarity would hear none of it. “Pish posh, darling. Of course, I do. I will have to wait until Pearl gets back before I can do anything for her of course.”

Twilight sighed, but her smile said how she really felt as her unicorn friend ran off. But something came to mind as her friends began to talk about everything they needed to do. “Celestia, Luna. Has Starswirl ever talked about his life past a certain point?”

The sisters shared a confused look. “No. He was always very secretive about where he came from and what he did before he became Court Mage for the Unicorn Royal Family,” Celestia replied.

Luna nodded. “Not even about his family. Only that they were long gone. But he never said what he meant by that, and would get very testy if we pressed him for more.”

Twilight considered this. It did not surprise her if she was being honest. Kohaku had always had good things to say about the unicorn however. This would make things fun.

“Why do you ask?” Spike asked.

Twilight only smiled widely. “Because Pearl and I saw something that night in the Temple. Something I am sure Starswirl never wanted anypony else to see. He is going to have the shock of his life come our wedding day.”

Everyone shared confused looks, but Twilight would say no more on the matter, only giggling at something only she knew.

Author's Note:

Yes. That is a cheeky Peter Parker and Spider-man reference in there. No. The hero himself does not exist in this universe. Or in any of my stories. Couldn't resist just this small thing though.