• Published 22nd Jul 2021
  • 1,083 Views, 27 Comments

A Twilight Rose Love - Mystic Sunrise



After a breakup, Pearl Rose finds love in a place that she never expected.

  • ...
25
 27
 1,083

Ch. 22

When Twilight and Pearl came to their senses, they found themselves back in the Side Library of the Friendship Castle. They were the only ones there, however.

“Remind me to pound Kohaku the next time we see him for making us go through all of that,” Pearl grumbled.

Twilight rubbed her forehead with a wing irritably. “Only after I have words with him about what happened to Thunder. No matter how much he might have deserved it.”

“Be glad he lived at all, Twilight. The other me was ready to rip him apart. Among other things,” a familiar voice said with amusement. One that sent both mare’s eyes twitching as they turned around.

Lounging on Twilight’s favorite chair, his nine tails swishing behind him, sat Kohaku reading one of Pearl’s manga. His smile grew as he looked up. “Welcome back. Enjoy the Void?”

Twilight frowned, her headache growing. “I can see why Lumena sees you as an annoying pest.”

He nodded. “Oh, she was really mad then. She doesn’t use that name much unless she is. Not that I blame her for what was at stake.”

Pearl shook her head. “How does she put up with you again? If she was so flippant about Twily almost using a certain oath…”

Kohaku chuckled as he set the manga down. “Because as much as I love pushing her buttons, I also know when to stop and not cross certain lines. Some of my kind made that mistake. There is a reason we do not like hearing swearing on the Slayer of Eternities."

Pearl wanted to ask more about that. But the haunted and pained look in her friend’s eyes stopped her cold. Some things were better left unknown it seemed. And this time, she knew better than to press the issue.

Twilight saw it as well and wondered just how bad it had gotten. For now, though, she had other things on her mind. “Putting all of that aside, we must talk, Kohaku.”

Kohaku nodded. He had expected as much. “You seem rather fine with using my name like that.”

Twilight smiled. “I had to put up with a younger you for a month. I think I can deal with this. But I will remind you of something.”

He arched an eyebrow. “Oh? Do tell.”

Twilight’s smile evaporated into a frown. One that even Pearl backed up from. “Need I remind you that your authority does not extend beyond the borders of the Everfree? I admit that Thunder was in your domain. But do not test me on this again. Am I understood?”

Kohaku frowned. “Do you know what he did to others? What he wanted to do to Pearl? He not only wanted you deposed. He wanted you dead, and had plans in place to make this happen.”

He shifted into his more adult form and stepped toward the alicorn, who did not flinch. “And you do not want to know what he planned to do with Pearl once you were gone. It sickens me to even think of it.”

Pearl was half curious to know herself what that might have been. But thought better of speaking up at a time like this.

Twilight’s frown grew. “We have known for years about Thunder’s… activities. But we could never prove them. This goes beyond that, however. If this happens again? Then we will see how well she likes you.”

Kohaku frowned. “Is that a threat, Princess Twilight?”

Twilight only smiled. “Oh no. Threats are for the weak. That is a promise. I care about you too much as my friend. Do not make me cross that line, Kohaku. Please.”

For several moments, neither said anything. Pearl wondered if now was a good time to make a run for it. You could cut the tension in the room with a knife.

Finally, Kohaku smiled and shrunk back down to a smaller form. “There is the empress that we all know you deserve to be. Equestria would prosper for it. You know it would be so.”

Twilight smiled as well, giggling. “Well. I don’t know about using that title specifically. But you are right. It is time I stop playing nice when it comes to certain things. Like those I love.”

Pearl blushed as Twily wrapped a wing around her, but she leaned into it anyway. “So here is my question, Kohaku. How long have you known about me and Summer?”

Kohaku just smiled innocently. “I don’t know what you mean. What about the two of you?”

Pearl’s eyes twitched again. Ooh, he was really pushing her buttons today. “Don’t play dumb with me. She’s your mate. How long have you known that me and her are Twin Souls?”

Twilight’s eyes bulged in shock. “The two of you are what?!”

Pearl nodded. “That’s what I said when she explained it to me in the Temple. Maybe this is why I’m into dragons like I am.”

Kohaku nodded. “I knew the second I first saw you when you first moved to Ponyville, and Rosie reacted as she did.” Turning back to Twilight he smiled. “You two won’t need to worry about me so much. I know where my border lies, and where my authority ends. I give you my solemn oath, I will not violate it so long as you rule. But like you, I’m fiercely protective of those I love. Those who I consider family. And will do everything in my power to protect them, even if it means going against what you desire. For that, I will never apologize. I hope you understand and know I always mean well.”

With a wave of his paw, he shifted the chair aside and reproduced it. “As for Thunder. The ability was mine but the force behind it was his. There is no cure for kitsune-induced insanity. And you would be foolish to try.”

“And your forest that is coming closer to my castle?” Twilight sucked her breath in tightly. A throbbing in her temples increased when she heard a whistling much like Discord’s.

“Well…”

“We only want to be closer to our family.” A watery voice said from the window. Outside hovered a hundred-foot-long dragoness, her head barely able to fit inside the window. “Kohaku darling, be a dear and go tend to your forest. You’ve given our future empress enough headaches.”

“But..”

Summer’s eyebrows narrowed sharply as both Twilight and Pearl saw Kohaku actually start to sweat and nervously back up.

“Yes, dear.” His voice quickened as he dashed to the window and vanished in a light shower of leaves.

Turning to Pearl, Summer smiled. “Advice for you dear sister, never let your mate forget who’s in charge.” As Kohaku had left Summer shifted to a much smaller ten-foot length and placed herself on the chair her mate was on. “Mmmm, still warm and cozy.”

Twilight gulped as Pearl just smiled at her. When did it get so hot in here? Or was it just her? “You must be Summer Rose then?”

Summer smiled. “The one and only. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Princess Twilight. I see you’ve taken good care of my little sister.”

Pearl’s cheeks puffed out in indignation. “Hey! Who are you calling little?”

Twilight giggled. “I don’t think Pearl needs to be taken care of. Some days, she’s the one taking care of me.”

Pearl smirked and poked her with a wing. “And don’t you forget it, Sparkle. Somepony has to keep you sane. Might as well be me. Spike’s tried, but you don’t listen to him.”

Twilight pouted, earning a giggle from her fiance. “What family did you mean? There are no eastern dragons or kitsunes in Ponyville,” Pearl asked.

Summer’s smile only grew. “Ours of course. You are my sister of course, and therefore you are part of Haku’s family as well. And you intend to make Princess Twilight your mate as well.”

Both mares blushed, earning a giggle from the dragoness. “We aren’t there yet, though,” Twilight mumbled, pawing the ground.

Summer shook her head. “So? It is never too early to have this mindset. Take it from one who has done this before. Haku’s family inducted me as part of them before we mated. And you both have been brought into our clan, why else would we have allowed you into our ancestral home, or that my sister-in-law would have agreed to hold you there for the night.”

“How?” Twilight blinked as her brain finally caught up with her. “You were there, you were the caretaker pony.” Twilight sighed as she flopped into the duplicate of her chair. Turning her look to Pearl she smirked. “And you knew it didn’t you?”

“Not until she revealed herself to me in their room, after witnessing a very touching scene between her and him.” Pearl smiled leaning against the armrest of her love’s chair. “How else could I have gotten that ring?” Leaning up, Pearl kissed just above the ring on Twilight’s horn, making the alicorn shiver.

“And I do say you wear it well. It looks as much at home on your horn as it did my claw.” Summer smiled.

“Kohaku proposed to you with this ring?” Twilight bit on her lower lip. Her eyes glanced upward at her horn.

“Oh no, he proposed to me by giving me this.” Lifting back a small layer of fur, the pair gazed at a large crescent-shaped bite mark that was slightly purple in color. “He gave me that ring, before he left this world, to keep me close to him till it was my time.”

Twilight and Pearl both winced at seeing just how deep that scar was. They both imagined Kohaku’s mouth clamped on to her, fangs in deep. Looking at each other they felt grateful that was one tradition pony’s don’t share.

“Oh relax, it wasn't that bad. I barely felt when it happened and I only lost a small amount of blood before his foxfire cauterized it. And sorry, I forget how squeamish non-carnivores get.” A chuckle escaped her lips. “Hopefully that other Pearl won’t freak out too much when it happens to her. I would have loved to talk to her myself but unlike my risk-happy mate, I’d rather not do anything that would shatter universal barriers.”

Twilight tried not to think about what had been at stake. This was something that she could never forget, no matter how much she wanted to. But something stuck out for her. “Is there a god named Shenlong that we don’t know about? He took the form of an eastern dragon for a time, and now I can get the question out of my mind.”

Summer blinked and leaned back. “You met Shenlong?” Both Twilight and Pearl nodded slowly. “Oh wow. Yeah, he’s a dragon god. Revered by all eastern races for his wisdom. And he showed himself to you both? I haven't even met him. Do you know how rare it is he ever shows himself?” Pulling out a notepad, Summer grinned like Pearl when she got a new Gundam. “You have to describe everything that happened. How did he look? How did he sound? Was he as cool as I thought he would be? Or was he like this super old guy that radiated ageless wisdom!”

Twilight blinked and smirked. “Okay, now I believe she’s your sister.”

Pearl stuck her tongue out at the alicorn. “Well, I don’t know how cool you think he is. But he managed to talk down someone named Lumena from killing us. And I think we’re lucky she listened. She did not sound happy at all.”

Summer blinks repeatedly as her notebook dropped to the ground. “Oh whoa. I had no idea it was that serious. For the universe’s, or rather this multiverse’ supreme goddess to show up. If any of us had known…” Leaning back she looked out the window, remaining silent for several moments until a thunderclap erupted from the Everfree Forest. “You two are luckier than you will ever know. For her to show up is a big deal. And for her to be talked down by another multiverse' god just as powerful. Our whole existence could have been wiped out and restarted. I’ve seen that happen before but recently. Thankfully those that remained were welcomed at a safe haven. I know the alicorn proprietor there. She’s, well let's face it she’s Pinkie Pie. A little crazier than yours, but makes one hell of a chocolate sundae.”

Twilight somehow doubted anypony could be crazier than Pinkie Pie. Even another version of her. And she knew the Human World's Pinkie was just as strange as Equestria's. “As for Shenlong. He kind of looked like you, and then he changed himself into a small boy. I guess for our sake. I still cannot wrap my head around what form Lumena took.”

Summer gave her a look. “What form did she take? She has an infinite number of forms, as well as names. None can pronounce her actual name. Not even one of us. Many have tried. But none retained their sanity afterwards. The same for her actual true form."

Pearl gulped. “She looked like Tiamat. But way bigger. I remember how scared I was when I first met her. That was nothing compared to this though. But that’s not what I don’t get. It’s what was on her heads.”

“What were they?” Summer asked.

Twilight shook her head, unable to make herself believe. “It was us. Me, Pearl, Pumpkin, River, and Lavender. One of us on each of her five heads. Pearl was on the crimson, I was on the black, Pumpkin was on the white, Lavender was on the blue, and River was on the green. How?”

Summer stifled back a loud chuckle which made her face scrunch up like Pearl’s. After a few moments, she burst out laughing. “Oh, my goodness. She took the form of the individuals she saved.” She wiped away a few tears. “Sorry sorry, I just thought it a bit silly. Seeing her in Tiamat’s body, with the heads of you ponies on top of those heads. However, it does sound like what she would do. Honoring those who have passed through her universes. She isn’t all bad. She does have a softer side at times.” Summer smiled as she looked out the window at the forest.

Twilight and Pearl shared a look. That didn’t seem possible, not after what they had gone through. But who knew? This was beyond much of what they had thought they knew.

Summer looked over at the pair and shook her head. “Put away from your minds. Yes, there is a wealth of knowledge out there but you are not ready for it. There will be a day when you are, but that is not today. Just be content with the knowledge of this world, and I guess the human one too since you’re both frequent visitors there.” Stretching a bit the dragoness smiled at the river, the waters slowly inching closer as the tree line shifted as well.

“I am actually glad your counterpart showed up, Pearl. You were certainly not ready to meet those dragons. Your language was okay but you still had not mastered the tea ceremony.” Summer smirked at Pearl huffed and stuck her tongue out. “Granted she wasn’t much better but at least she didn’t break the pot or spill tea over everyone. Thankfully none of the dragons seemed to care. They were more impressed with the dialect that Pearl used in the greeting.”

Pearl kept her composure for another moment before she smiled. “Well. She had one of the best sources to learn from. I still don’t totally see how she puts up with her Kohaku. But love does that to ponies. And I learned she really loved him as I do Twilight.”

“Did you practice the tea ceremony over there?”

“Once,” Pearl groaned, remembering the incident.

“How often did you spill the tea on him?” Twilight chuckled as she leaned in, almost touching Pearl’s snout with her own.

“Five times.” Pearl blushed. “But the last one was on purpose. He kept laughing at how silly I was holding the teapot.”

Twilight held her laughter for a moment longer, before she burst into helpless giggles, earning an annoyed glare from the Pegasus. “Laugh it up Sparklebutt. See if I do anything nice for you ever again,” she huffed.

“I’m sorry sweetie.” Twilight wrapped her front legs around Pearl’s shoulders and pulled her in close. “But it was funny. I’m also sure you got a laugh when you dumped that tea on him.”

Pearl smirked and nuzzled close as she nodded. “Yeah, I did. He laughed it up too. Say, sis, you don’t mind if we…” Pearl looked over at Summer who was gazing out at the forest tenderly. Her eyes shimmered like the surface of her waters. “I guess we’ll just leave her here. Common Sparkle. You may be the soon-to-be Queen of Equestria. But there’s one place where I wear the crown.”

Twilight grinned and blushed, bowing her head. “You're going to make me work for it aren't you?”

Pearl walked to the double doors of the office and as she looked over her shoulder, the Pegasus winked, earning an excited squee from Twilight, who felt her wings puff out in delight.