• Published 13th Jul 2021
  • 921 Views, 55 Comments

The Way of the Play - PonyPixel



The School of Friendship is having a second play and it should go better than it's first one. Right?

  • ...
1
 55
 921

Day Two

Later that evening, during dinner at the cafeteria, Gallus got his meal. He then found Silverstream sitting with his friends. Since he already found out about the ‘scene’, he felt awkward. Still, he managed to sit down with his friends, who had changed topics to other things that weren't related to the play. He placed down his tray, sat between Sandbar and Silverstream, and grabbed a spoon to start eating.

“So,” Silverstream said while chewing on her meal, “what are the chances of a dragon moving into Ponyville?”

“Maybe between 30-35%,” Smolder, who’s right beside her, replied. “I mean, Garble's warming up to ponies since he helped save the dragon eggs. It'll be great to have him around more often.”

“I don't think it's just Ponyville that could have different creatures moving in,” Ocellus noted, adding to the conversation. “What about places like Manehatten, Fillydelphia, Vanhoover, or Canterlot?”

“Those places… They weren’t up for a dragon any other creature than a pony moving in there. The locals,… you know, they’ll be very uncomfortable.”

“What about yaks?” Yona asked.

“I think we'd have to reinforce some of the buildings for a yak to move in,” Sandbar admitted. “No offense.”

Yona simply shrugged as she then noticed Gallus was being awfully quiet. “Gallus have anything to say?”

“About what?” the griffon asked while holding his bowl of soup.

“Anything,” Smolder responded. “Just as long as it isn't related to the play. I’m getting a little tired of hearing it.” Gallus obliged and the rest carried on talking about the moving situation while other ponies enjoyed their dinner.

Diamond Shine might've been an exception. The crystal pony couldn't stop complaining about Silverstream getting a bigger part than her. With many of the students tired of her complaints, she was sitting by herself. Pyther and Coral sat with her in hopes to get her to quiet down.

“Diamond,” Coral said, sitting down beside her, with Pyther on the other side, “we know you're still peeved, but you have to let it go. It’s Silverstream’s role.”

“It just doesn't make sense to me,” Diamond Shine responded.

“And it sounds like you're not listening,” Pyther muttered to herself.

“What has Silverstream done that I haven't?”

“Let's see…” Pyther started. “She can fly, turn into a seapony anytime she wants, helped defeat three of the worst creatures in Equestria, and her species may be as fast as lightning…… Should I go on?” Diamond Shine gave a low brow as she can tell that Pyther was having fun right now.

"She's been at this school longer than you have," Coral explained. "Maybe that means she gets better perks. She's also on the cheer squad and has better connections to our professors."

"But what about the experience in acting?" Diamond Shine questioned. "I was natural at my old school."

“We know. You should give Silver a chance. She was having a lot of fun from what I saw.”

“Yeah, she’s right,” Pyther agreed, “If you stop being a stick in the mud and have fun with the part you've got, everyone will be happy. Then that play will be a success.” The dragoness was hoping that her friend would get the memo. Diamond Shine just rolled her eyes and sulked when she had her meal. This probably meant she didn't listen.

Pate meanwhile was venting to some of the other students that were in the play. Some of them included Tanzanite, a purple lanky dragon, Sunshine and Kelpie, a yellow and green hippogriff, respectively.

“I've read the script like five times,” the changeling complained, “How am I not remembering them?”

“I understand,” Tanz responded. “I'm really sure I understand my character, Clockwork. I know he's one of the castle staff that's been cursed but... It's the fact that he's a pony that has me confused.”

“I think Moss just ignores the pony angle. What about you guys?”

Sunshine was the first to speak. “I feel like I have a lot of weight on my part as Golden's father," he admitted. “I'm worried about the scene where I get captured. Kelpie, what about you?”

“I'm just playing one of the village ponies,” Kelpie admitted. “I have it pretty easy, to be honest. I'll also be helping out the others getting the props ready."

“That's good to hear," Tanz commented. "I don't really see why I didn't just volunteer to help with the props.”

“Shimmy says I just need to keep reading my lines I should memorize,” Pate added. “Hasn't been going too well, though.” The boys all felt this way, though it was only the start of the production. There was still a lot to do.

As the young six enjoyed their meal and their conversation, though Gallus’s heart was racing at the moment. Sandbar could see that he was nervous. He then made his move. “Hey, Gallus, I think we could use some napkins. You mind if you help me get some?” he asked.

Smolder was a little confused by this. “Why would you both...?”

“Sure, I’ll help,” Gallus spoke without hesitation. He and Sandbar both go up and grab some napkins. While doing that, Sandbar then looked around to see if anyone is close. He then whispers to him.

“Are you okay?” the colt whispered.

“What does it look like?” the griffon quietly uttered in an anxious tone. “Silver and I are going to kiss… on stage. If I mess this up, I’m never going to live it down. How awkward do you think it’s going to be for me and Silver if it goes wrong. Even if it goes right, how would we even hang out after that.”

“You’re going to be fine. Silverstream would be too happy that all of us are dating now.”

“Dating?” Gallus didn't want to think too much about this. He grabbed a talon full of napkins and flew back to the table with Sandbar following shortly. The griffon remained silent for the rest of the night.


The next day, all students were back at the stage to continue the preparation. Rarity had already gotten some of the costumes made and was helping the performers to try them on. Yona managed to help Smolder into her outfit, though it didn't look like to be finished.

“Yona, you sure this looks right?” Smolder asked. She was starting to look like a wardrobe with some drapes attached by needles to make it look like doors. However, they looked more like hammocks instead of doors.

“Friend's outfit still needs work,” Yona commented. She tried holding the bits of cloth up, though it still didn't look right. "Maybe doors need more depth."

As Yona was trying to figure out how the outfit worked, Emerald and Peridot had gathered blades of grass and were trying to make it into a paste. Pyther was sitting nearby not sure how to feel knowing that she would be covered in the said paste. “You sure this is a good idea?” she asked.

“I'm having second thoughts,” Emerald admitted.

“Me too,” Peridot added. They took a look at the green paste in the mixing bowl. It still had some chunks of grass in it and looked kind of disgusting.

“You want to try again and looked for a powder?”

“Good idea.” Peridot was handing the mushy grassy liquid and placed it beside a tree so they could look for another material they could grind up.

While they did that, Sunshine and Silverstream were on stage getting ready for their next scene. Sunshine placed on a saddlebag which had been filled with paper to fill in for letters and parcels. Trud and Ravi were helping set up a backdrop of a cottage, complete with a functional door.

"Okay,… a little more to the right," Rusty called. "Now... Back to the left." The students moved around a little bit until Terry was able to secure the drop in place.

"So, are we ready for our scene?" Sunshine asked.

“Just give us a minute," Applejack called. She and the students made sure that the backdrop was secure.

"Are we ready now?" Silverstream asked.

“Yes, we are,” Starlight confirmed. “Whenever you're ready,”. Both hippogriffs did so, acting out the scene where Golden's father left to make his deliveries, though he wouldn't return. As they acted out, Diamond Shine sulked from off stage. Getting tired of her complaints, Gus had volunteered to get her to stop.

“You sure you're cutie mark shouldn't be on your face?” the grumpy griffon asked.

“Excuse me!?" the crystal pony questioned.

“It feels like what you're talking out of.” Diamond Shine was offended. “Listen, I'm going easy on you, so unless Silver can't perform, I recommend you glue your little mouth shut, or I'm going to teach the others a new vocabulary to describe you.” With that bit of knowledge, Gus walked away to take care of more important matters. However, the words ‘can’t perform’ got Diamond Shine thinking.

“I could make a good understudy.” She looked over to the hippogriffs on stage. Aside from Sunshine's shaky voice, they were performing well. “I guess if there was... an accident.” Diamond Shine walked away forming a plan to ensure she would have the lead role.

After Silverstream walked off stage as Sunshine was acting out the scene where he arrived at the monster's castle. She met up with Peridot and sat down with her, who was still trying to find some mineral to grind up. "Hey, Perri, how are you doing?" the hippogriff asked.

“We're trying to make Pyther look just like me and Emma,” the dragoness explained. “We're supposed to be the identical triplets.”

“Hmm, have you tried mane dye?”

“I don't think that would work on dragon scales.”

“It's worth a try.”

“…If you say so." Peridot walked away to try and find her sister to tell her the idea. While this was going on, Diamond Shine found Terry checked on some ropes.

“Hey there, Terry,” Diamond Shine said. Terry turned.

“Oh, hi there, Diamond,” he greeted.

“What are you doing?”

“Just checking to see if the sandbags are working," the young minotaur explained. He pointed at the ropes that went to some pullies that were attached to the ceiling which lead to one of the backdrops that could be raised and lowered at will.

“Uh-huh. I know how this works. Don't you have any more background to hang up?”

“We still need to build more props, but this is important too. If you just let one of these cables loose, those backdrops are basically blunt guillotines.” The sound of falling wood could be heard followed by some surprising yells.

“Ugh... Terry!” Rusty called. “We could use some help here.”

"Oh my goodness, be right there!" He quickly ran off to see what was wrong. While he did, Diamond Shine looked up to see a couple more sandbags were hanging from the ceiling. She could see some of them hanging over the stage where actors would be visible to the audience. The crystal pony could see where all of the ropes were tied down, so she just needed to loosen the right one.

Sometime later, Silverstream came back on stage to act out the scene where Goldie would take her father's place in the monster's prison. Diamond Shine was still backstage as she could see Gallus walk over to the hippogriffs. The crystal pony started loosening the ropes. Soon, the sandbags started falling, narrowly missing the students, who were just as shocked as their headmare.

"What the heck?!" Gallus questioned. More bags started to fall and students quickly started getting out of the way but Sunshine has gotten his tail stuck on the hinge of the trapdoor. One last sandbag fell and would've landed on the stuck hippogriff if it wasn't for a yak running and ramming into the sandbag, splitting it open and sending sand everywhere. When everything calmed down, they all saw Orri, one of the smallest yaks, rubbing his eyes.

Starlight quickly got onto the stage to help check on the students. “Are you two okay?” she asked.

“I think so,” Sunshine said. “My tail’s stuck!” Gus came over to help get his tail unstuck while Sunburst saw that Orri now had sand in his eyes.

“Yak can't see,” Orri groaned.

“Let's just take you to the nurse's office,” Sunburst suggested. The yak and stallion walked as Starlight wasn't pleased with what happened.

“How did this happen?” she asked.

“We swear, Headmare Starlight,” Rusty said, "We made sure those sandbags were secure tightly."

“I didn't know they were there,” Ravi added.

Terry, meanwhile, was more curious than concerned. He does remember that Diamond Shine was there when he left to help with the mess. “Hold on. Has one of you seen Diamond Shine?” he asked.

“Why are you looking for her?” Gus asked.

“I feel like she might have something to do with this.” The minotaur went to check backstage, where Diamond Shine had disappeared. He explained that the last time he saw her, he had shown her the pully system. Starlight made sure that the crystal pony would be found, though it looked like the ropes had been cut by something sharp, something that a crystal pony wouldn't normally possess.


It wasn't until the stage had been cleaned up that Diamond was found. She had pretended that she didn't know what was going on, but most of the students weren't so easily fooled. Gallus was one of them. He flew up to the spoiled pony and got right in her face. "What do you think you’re playing at?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" Diamond Shine questioned innocently.

“Don't play dumb. You already did that when you tried to crush us with sandbags. You're in hot water, little filly, so don't boil over.” Gallus walked away rather annoyed as Diamond Shine brushed his warning off.

The griffon found Sandbar, who had been fitted with his outfit. His gloves were white and he had a faux unicorn's horn that had flame made of plastic on its end. The only other clothing he had was a bronze vest, Rarity was still working on the rest. He saw Gallus approach and decided to talk. “Are you okay?” the colt asked.

“Not entirely. I've just talked with Diamond Shine the smart flank. I don't know what she was planning on getting out of that stunt.”

“We don't know if it was her.”

"If they don’t know if it’s her, then who else would do it?"

“It's... It feels kind of obvious, but still... I'm giving her one last chance.”

Gallus huffed. “Good luck with that. Anyways, have you seen Silver? I want to see how she's doing."

"I think Yona was helping her with her dress. She should..."

"Guys, take a look!" called a voice. The boys and Rarity looked over to see Silverstream flying over to them wearing a golden ballroom dress. It wasn't fully finished and it almost looked like it would fall apart, but it looked very nice. Gallus and Sandbar were amazed by this.

“Silverstream, you look marvelous,” Rarity commented.

“Astonishing!” Sandbar added. Gallus on the other hand was speechless by how the hippogriff looked. Rarity examed the parts of Silverstream's dress that didn't look secure.

“Silverstream, I know you're excited, but you really should be careful with flying in this.” The mare requested that the hippogriff took off the dress so she could make some adjustments while Sandbar took note of his friend's reaction to the dress.

"Gallus, are you okay?"

The griffon snapped back to reality and looked at Sandbar. “I was just... uhh… shocked by the quality we have. I mean... You remember the outfits we had during our first play?"

"I do. It's just that..."

"Oh, Gallus, while you're here, you could help us with the monster costume," Rarity informed. Gallus took a look at the cover of the script. It showed Golden Aura and the cursed prince in the ballroom. The beast had dark brown fur, fangs, ram horns, bat wings, sharp claws, and red-slitted eyes. It would probably be the most complex thing they would have to make. “I'm glad that Yona is helping me, but we need more than two dressmakers.”

“Right,” Gallus commented. He placed the script down as he sniffed a little bit. “What's that smell?”

“What smell?” Sandbar asked. He took a whiff and could smell something hard to describe. Silverstream and Rarity could smell it too, so they went to investigate it with the boys. After looking around for a minute, they found Pyther with Emerald and Peridot. The twins were helping their friend apply some green dye to her scales.

“Oh, how's my idea working?” Silverstream asked.

“The smell is something I wish I knew about before starting," Pyther spoke. Emerald and Peridot were still trying to rub the dye on their friend's scales. “How hard is it going to be to get this out.”

"It works better on manes rather than scales," Rarity noted. "Do you need any help?"

“No need, Professor. I think we're getting the hang of it,” Emerald responded. She grabbed the container of the green dye and doubled checked in the instructions as Rarity and the rest of the students went back to the costume-making station. They found Yona walking over to the sewing machines with various materials, brown fake fur, some plastic horns, fake bat wings, and other materials that looked like she would use to make the monster.

“Yona, you're already getting started?” Sandbar questioned.

“Yak has perfect vision of monster,” Yona proclaimed.

“And you remember what I taught you about the sewing machine?” Rarity asked. Yona nodded and was about to start until the mare spoke up again. "You know Gallus's measurements right?" Yona confirmed the information and got to work making Gallus's outfit.

"So, how am I going to have bat wings?" Gallus asked.

"They'll just slip over your normal wings," Rarity informed. "The horns will probably just be a part of a headband." Yona took noted of this and placed the horns to the side, but she left her hoof on the pedal, making the machine keep going and the thread got stuck. Rarity could see and hear the machine struggling so she got Yona to stop. The yak didn't look happy with her mistake but Rarity happily helped clean it up, even though the costumes would be delayed.

Yona wouldn't be the only one having trouble. Before his next scene, Pate kept checking his lines before he and Moss went on. “You sure you've got it this time?” Moss asked.

“I think so,” Pate responded. “I've read this by about five times.”

“Great. I'll meet you on the stage.” Moss walked off as Pate gave the script one last read before putting it down and flying to the stage. There, Moss was waiting with Gale, a white and gray griffon, sitting in a chair inside a dimly lit room. Pate sat down with them.

“Okay," Starlight said, “You remember the scene?”

"We go to talk with a guy who can help ensure the marriage of Bronze and Goldie," Moss responded.

“Perfect. And action!”

Gale cleared his throat before he spoke. “So, what brings you two here?” he asked, trying to sound old and ominous.

“We're here because I have my eyes for Golden Aura,” Moss informed.

“Shame it can't be said the other way around,” Pate said. Moss looked at the other changeling before giving a fake slap. Pate was a little slow to react and simply just leaned back. Moss let that slide and looked back at Gale.

“And how is that going to work?” Gale asked.

“Everyone knows that Goldie's father is insane,” Moss said.

“Yeah, he…” Pate paused as he tried to remember his lines again. The other two were about to stop until he continued. “He… He came in screaming about a monster. Crazy, right?” Moss glared at him before giving another fake slap, this time Pate reacted more appropriately.

"The point is, Goldie would do anything for her father's safety."

"Yeah, even marry him." Just when it looked like Moss was going to slap him again, Pate beat him to the punch by slapping himself first.

“So, you want me to lock him up in the asylum until Golden agrees to marry you,” Gale commented. Both changelings nodded in confirmation. “And what will I get out of it?” Gale asked. Moss tossed a small bag onto the table, to which the griffon opened up to find a bunch of plastic bits.

“500 bits,” he replied boldly.

"Hmm, It’s a deal. Bring... Goldie's father to me. I'll go prepare his room."

Both changelings left the room as the griffon counted the bits he was given. "Alright," Starlight commented. "That was great. Gale, I think you missed your line a little bit."

"What are you talking about?" the griffon asked.

Sunburst held up a copy of the script. “When you said, 'What do I get out of it,' you were supposed to say, 'And what's in it for me?'

“They mean the same things.”

“True, but it doesn't really... fit with the old man's personality.”

“It's like if Chrysalis just went ‘booyah’,” Moss commented. "It would sound so out of place."

"What about me?" Pate asked.

"You're improving," Starlight said. "Keep up the good work." The changeling smiled as they walked off the stage and Trud, one of the yaks, helped move the furniture off the stage.

Sunshine was waiting backstage wearing a saddlebag that he would fill up with some maps and other supplies. "You're up, buddy," Gale said while passing him.

"Okay," the hippogriff responded. He saw the backdrops being changed from the dark room to the one outside of the cottage. Sunshine got to the back of it, as it had a functioning door.

"Action!" Starlight called. When she said this, the hippogriff opened the door and began heading away from the cottage, he was about to speak his line, but he was looking directly into the empty crowd. Sunshine could only imagine the size of the audience that would be watching them. He just froze on the stage, much to the confusion of everyone.

"What's he doing?" Ravi whispered.

"He's probably frozen with fear or something," Gus said. "I'm on it." He flew onto the stage and tapped on the hippogriff's shoulder, snapping him back to reality. "Dude, are you okay?"

"I'm... Fine..." Sunshine replied. "I just forgot my lines."

"You need another chance to go over them?"

"Yep... I'm pretty sure." Sunshine flew away to double-check his lines, leaving the others to wait on him.


A little while later, Yona managed to get the base of the monster costume completed. She had a couple of snags but was happy that it was finished. She handed it to Gallus, wanting him to try it on. When the griffon did so, he quickly found an issue that Yona had overlooked. "Yona, can you tell what's wrong with this?" he asked.

The yak took a look at her handwork and saw what was missing on the back. She brought her hooves to her face. "Yona forgot the holes," she groaned.

"Looks like it. My wings feel so constricted." He struggled to take it off as Yona grabbed a part of scissors. She cut out some holes for Gallus's wings. She gave it back to the griffon, who began putting back on. Just before the yak could get started on the headband, Gallus had to report something else. "You missed."

Confused, Yona looked back and could see what Gallus was talking about. She missed where the base of Gallus's wings and they were too far on his back. She groaned and banged her head on the table in frustration. She would try and patched it up and put the holes in the right spot, the worst-case scenario she would have to start over.

While she was working on that, Pyther's makeover was finished. Just like the twins, she was completely green. "How do I look?" she asked.

"Pretty good," Peridot commented. "I didn't think it was going to work that well."

"Yeah. I mean, change the horns and the head, anyone could mistake you for a triplet," Emerald commented.

"Fantastic. I hope I don't have to be like this for too long. I'm going to find Coral before she gets confused with what's going on."

"You do that." Pyther walked away, leaving the twins to check on other parts of the play.

Pyther looked around for a little bit until she found Coral chatting with Diamond Shine. Both of them were surprised to see the dragoness' new color. "What the... Pyther?" Coral questioned.

"Hey, girls," the dragoness responded. "Think I look like the twins?"

"I almost thought you were one of them," Diamond Shine commented. "How long are you going to stay like this?"

"Only until after the play. How about you guys?"

"They're a delay on some of the outfits," Coral informed. "One of the sewing machines burned out its mower, and now we've only got one working. Yona's struggling a bit without Rarity."

“I haven't seen her as the creative type,” Diamond Shine admitted.

“Whoever is making the outfits, I hope they aren't delayed,” Pyther said. "I didn't want to have myself colored green for nothing."

“It'll be sorted out. I mean, are they really going to let one error get in the way?”

“There were also those sandbags,” Coral reminded. “When you just disappeared.” Pyther was surprised then gave her friend a low brow.

“Where were you?” Pyther asked.

“I was trying to find a part Silverstream could switch so I could be Golden Aura,” Diamond Shine replied.

“Uh-huh, and that includes backstage, right?” The crystal pony didn't want to answer this and just walked away. The green-colored dragoness and hippogriff looked towards each other, knowing how things were likely going to end.

“Should we help her?” Coral questioned.

“She won't learn if we do. I want to see her get caught.” Pyther snickered as she walked away to explain her new look to the other students.

Rarity had returned with a new motor for the sewing machine that burnt out. Rusty was called over to help put it back together, but the generous mare could see that Yona was still upset. “Cheer up Yona, you haven't used it that long,” Rarity noted.

"It not that," Yona sighed. She showed her professor the base of the monster's outfit. It was now all patchy as she had struggled to find the sweet spot for Gallus's wings. Rarity could see the problem.

“Hmm, that's definitely a challenge in dressmaking. It looks like we'll have to start over here.” The yak sighed as she knew she had wasted all of her time on this one outfit.

Gallus wasn't aware of this as he was busy performing a scene with Sandbar and Tanzanite. They were performing the scene where Golden Aura discovering the monster's secret. Silverstream placed on a coat as she flew past the colt and dragon, who was surprised with the haste the hippogriff had.

“Madam, where are you going?” Sandbar asked.

“I'm leaving,” Silverstream responded. She opened the door of the castle and flew away, leaving the castle staff members upset knowing their last chance was gone. Silverstream began flying through the fierce winds of the snowstorm. It was a struggle for her, but things were going to get worse.

Out of the blue, Trud, Frida, and Dotta jumped out. The three yaks were acting like a pack of wolves that were threatening to pounce on the hippogriff. Silverstream would've flown away except the winds were too strong for her to fly. The yak wolves pounced at her a couple of times, each pounce narrowly missing the hippogriff. Just when it looked like she was done for, Gallus swooped in.

He delivered a blow to Trud, whose thick wool just absorbed the blow. The yak was confused. Gallus quickly whispered something into his ear. “You're supposed to go flying when I hit you,” the griffon informed.

“Oh, right,” Trud responded. He quickly jumped backward, hoping that he would make up for his mistake. Dotta and Frida were able to catch on with this and pretended that Gallus was stronger than he actually was. Silverstream just stood back and watched acting as if she saw the monster fighting off the wolves. However, Frida ended up overreacted and lept right off the stage, much to the shock of the students and their headmare.

“Are you okay, Frida?” Starlight asked.

“Yak fine,” Frida respoked. The young yak certainly left her mark on the ground which didn't go unnoticed. A small indent now stood in front of the stage.

“We should probably fill that,” Sunburst recommended.

“Good idea,” Starlight agreed.

Frida quickly made her way back onto the stage and resumed the scene with the yaks and Gallus. Eventually, Trud jumped onto Gallus and bit his arm. “OW! What the heck, Trud!?” the griffon cried.

“Script said to bite arm,” the yak responded.

“Not literally! Get off me!” Gallus's anger was almost enough to push the confused yak off of him. The scene was cut early so Gallus's new wound could be treated. It wasn't too serious, while there wasn't any blood, Trud still left his mark. Silverstream left the stage so she could help get some ice for her friend.

When she returned, Gallus was sitting on one of the chairs that had been freshly built. He was glad to have an icepack for his bitemark. “You know he was just trying to do as he was told,” the hippogriff noted.

“Uh-huh, I don't see you following the script so literally,” Gallus grumbled. He cringed a little bit when applied the ice to his wound.

Silverstream stood beside him and thought about something. “You know, I think if this was a little more serious, not too serious though, I think we could've practiced the scene where Goldie patches the monster up." Gallus chuckled as this did feel like a kind of coincidence. Gallus wasn't sure what to say here, given the scene he had concerns about. Silverstream could see the gears turning in his head. “What are you thinking about?"

“Um... Diamond Shine. Can you believe her behavior?”

“I know. I understand she wants to be in the lead role since she’s been a good performer before. She even offered to swap roles with me.”

“Did she?”

“Yes,” she replied with a nod.

Gallus knew the crystal pony was desperate for the part so he decided to give some advice. “Hey, you've been doing really good out there. You'd be throwing out all of that talent if you switch places with somebody now.”

“You think so?”

“Of course. You've got more energy than anybody else I know. You've been doing great so far.”

“You too.” Both griffs thought about that scene near the end of the play. It was still a little awkward for the two, so they tried to brush that to the side.

“You want to hang out and blow off some steam when the rehearsals are over?”

“Sure.”

“Good. I think I'm going to check on Yona to see if she's having better luck with my costume.” Gallus flew away while holding his icepack on his arm. The griffon soon found the yak being assisted by Rarity. With some extra help, the monster costume was coming along much easier than before. They saw Gallus and the bite mark he had been given.

“What happened?” Yona asked.

“Trud took his part too seriously.”

“Hopefully he doesn't try that again. He's already on thin ice after Winter Wrap Up,” Rarity noted. “Now that you're here, could you try this on?” She showed off the monster outfit, which appeared to a higher quality than the one that Yona had made. It even had a proper pair of holes for Gallus's wings. The griffon slipped it on and the costume appeared to be a great fit.

“Perfect,” Yona cheered. She then showed off the horns of the costume, which were attached to a headband. Other features the costume would have were some gloves for the sharp gloves and some bat wings. They easily slipped onto Gallus's talons and wings.

“How do I look?” he asked. He held his wings open so they could get a good look at his outfit.

“Griffon now look like scary monster,” Yona commented.

“I say we did a good job,” Rarity commented.

“Sweet,” Gallus said. "I'm going to show this to the others." So that's what he did. Silverstream was the first to see the griffon's costume.

“Wow, Gallus you look amazing,” the hippogriff cheered. “I think you just need some fangs and you'll have everything to complete it.”

“I'm pretty sure that any fangs would mess with my speech,” he chuckled.

“I’m just suggesting.”

“I know.” After showing off Gallus’s outfit and letting his injury heal up a little bit. They retried the scene of the wolf attack. This time the yaks had better reaction times to play punches, Trud didn’t actually bite Gallus’s arm, and the scene was able to wrap up with yak fleeing from the monster. Gallus, acting as if he was completely worn out, fainted. Silverstream was about to run off but could see the monster still needed help. Reluctantly, she helped the monster stand up and slowly walk back to the castle.

“Cut,” Starlight called. “That was perfect.”

“Was it?” Frida asked.

“Sure was. Now, I think it’s about time we call it a day. We’ll see you next time.” Many of the students agreed to this and started leaving to do their own things. Most of them that wore outfits, like Gallus, took them off and left them with Rarity before they left.

Silverstream flew beside Gallus as they were about to have some time to blow off steam. “So, what are we going to do?” the hippogriff asked.

Gallus thought for a minute before coming up with an idea. “How about some bowling?” he suggested.

“Great idea! How about we bring the others along?”

“Eh, sure, why not?” Though it would be nice for all of them to do something fun after rehearsals, the griffon admittedly wanted to hang out with Silverstream alone.


The young six soon met up at the bowling alley where they made up two teams, Smolder was on one team with the boys while the rest of the girls were on the other team.

They had already knocked over a set of pins, some getting spares while mostly missing just one or two. Smolder sat down with the boys while they waited for Silverstream to bowl. “Are we going to address the elephant in the room?” the dragoness asked.

“What?” Gallus questioned.

“You and Silver. You know, dating.”

Gallus was taken aback by this until Sandbar spoke up. “Smolder,” the colt said, “It’ll be best if Gallus handles this at his own pace.”

“Just saying, they’ve got to kiss some time.”

The griffon scowled. “Are you trying to help me or just to collapse from the pressure?” he asked. The sound of pins getting knocked over interrupted their conversation.

“YES!” Silverstream cheered, “I’ve got a strike!” She pointed to the pins that had been knocked over. Yona and Ocellus were impressed, so was Smolder’s team.

“You guys think you can match that?” the dragoness asked the boys. Sandbar would give a shrug as Gallus wasn’t too sure what to say to the hippogriff. Trying to think of something to say, he looked at the bit he had on him.

"You guys hungry?" the griffon asked. "I think I can buy some nachos or something.

“Sound good,” Smolder replied with a nod.

"Yona like extra cheese," Yona requested.

Gallus gave a thumbs up before walking over to the snack bar. Sandbar then whispered to Ocellus, who was about to roll the ball.

“Ocellus,” he whispered, “can you go check on Gallus? He felt very unsettled.”

“Alright,” Ocellus replied, “I will.” After rolling her ball, Ocellus walked over to Gallus, who sat at the bar waiting for the nachos. Meanwhile, without her noticing, Silverstream, Yona, Smolder, and Sandbar saw the bowling ball that Ocellus rolled knocked all of the remaining bowling pins except one that was rocking back and forth. The four leaned forward with suspense within to see that last pin kept rocking, until…… it rocks back to its standing position. They groaned.

“So close!” Smolder exclaimed.

Ocellus, meanwhile, sat down beside Gallus, waiting for their nachos. She could see him with his one claw bagging his cheek, and his talons tapping on the counter.

“So,” Ocellus spoke, “Sandbar told me about how you're feeling.”

The griffon sighed, and then turned to his bug friend. “How else would I feel?” he doubted. “Does Silverstream feel the same way?”

The changeling looked back to their friends, who were more focused on bowling than them. “Somewhat of the same way.”

“Okay. Love is your thing. What do I do here?”

Ocellus thought for a minute before she answered the question. “It's never easy. I'm not sure if I can really help as you or Silver will have to step up and admit how you feel.”

“That's what I'm afraid of.”

“Look, we've done some impressive things. Sandbar and Smolder both admitted their feelings to Yona and me. Hopefully one of you will be able to do it.” Gallus sighed as he wasn't too sure about it. They both saw the nachos were ready and they brought them back over to their friends.

Silverstream helped herself to them. Gallus decided to speak up. "Hey, Silver," he said, "How about you and I have some time alone after we're done here."

"Sure. At the school?"

"Yeah, that'll work." Gallus then saw it was his turn to bowl and flew over to grab his ball.


A little while later, the students returned to the School of Friendship after their game. Gallus and Silverstream separated from the others and stopped by the fountain and the bridges. Silverstream turned herself into a seapony so she could swim around for a little. Gallus sat down with his paws of the edge and claws holding the railings. “Do you know why we were picked to be Goldie and the monster?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” Gallus replied. “Maybe it's because we're both griffs. You're a hippogriff, a legendary creature who's been boasted to fly faster than lightning. Meanwhile, me, a griffon, from a failed kingdom, who’s only after money.” Gallus sighed before lying down beside the water. Silverstream climbed out of the water.

“Hey, the griffons are doing better now that they're here. Especially you.”: That comment made Gallus feel a little better. "Plus, I like the opposites attract thing about our roles."

“It's kind of funny, to be honest. All I need is something like your pearl shard.”

“What do you think you would turn into. Maybe.... something fast like a cheetah.”

“Hmm, that'd be cool. Still, it's nice you have something that lets you breathe underwater.”

“You want to try it?” Gallus was a little hesitant as he was trying to keep things under his control.

“Thanks, but no thanks.”

“Come on, it'll be cool.” Silverstream changed back into a hippogriff and sat beside her friend. “Smolder was against this too. Why is it so hard to try one magical object?”

“I guess some creatures take changes easier than others. Remember when we first came here?” The hippogriff giggled until she remembered the part where they ran away.

“Yeah…” she said with awkwardness. “Not our best idea.”

“Probably not. I doubt we're classified as normal teens.”

“That's true. Not everyone gets to talk with the spirit of harmony.”

“Or stop a filly too smart for her own good. Three times.” Both of them chuckled at their former classmate’s failures. Silverstream stopped as she tried to think of other achievements they had done.

“Remember those quests the spirit made us do?” she asked.

“Kind of wish I didn’t. What does escaping a room, that could crush me, have to do with friendship?”

“I don’t know. I just wish I didn’t have to remember…. the Storm King.” Just thinking about that name sent a shiver down her spine.

“Okay, how about we forget about that guy? Let’s just focus on other things. Like…” The awkward silence made both students remember the kissing scene. That made them both feel awkward.

“I think… I have some school work I forgot about,” Silverstream said. “I should take care of that first.”

“Ugh… Go ahead and do that. I know what it's like getting behind.” Both of them gave a thumbs up before the hippogriff flew away. When she was out of sight, Gallus banged his head on one of the bridge railings. He sighed in disappointment.