• Published 26th Jun 2021
  • 1,189 Views, 29 Comments

The Eight-Six Duo - Fujimi200SX



Two young High Schoolers appear seemingly out of nowhere at Twilight's Crystal Castle, claiming to be from a place called Japan.

  • ...
5
 29
 1,189

Act 18: The Effects of Immortality

Itsuki impatiently waited in the Academy Parking Lot with his 86. He heard over the radio that Takumi was on his way up, but he shouldn't be wasting time up here! He should be attacking the downhill in preparation for his race with Thunderlane!

"Dangit Takumi. Why are you doing this to me?" he angrily asked the air. "How do you expect me to win against Thunderlane if I don't practice a bit first?"

Within a few minutes, he saw Takumi's 86 pulling in, parking a space away from his 86 Levin. A second later, the alicorn got out.

"About freaking time."

Takumi ignored him. "Could you give me a hand over here? Tires?"

"Wait- That's why you wanted me to be up here? To help you with TIRES?"

Takumi opened the liftgate and lifted the tires and jackstands out. "No."

"Then what?"

Takumi, impressing Itsuki, lifted the back end of the 86 off the ground with his magic. He quickly used his magic to prop it up with jackstands before setting it down on said jackstands.

"Itsuki, just help me. I'll tell you in a second."

Itsuki reluctantly began work on the rear left tire while Takumi did the right.

"You aren't going to win." Takumi stated after a moment.

Itsuki was surprised. "What do you mean?"

"Itsuki, I've driven Thunderlane's E30."

Itsuki was even MORE surprised. "You did?! Er- You have?!"

Takumi used his magic to raise the front of the 86 up and put more jackstands under it, getting to work on the front right tire. "Yeah. I have. And I'm telling you now, you aren't going to beat him."

"But I'm in an 86, right?"

Takumi sighed. "A STOCK 86, Itsuki. With 124HP."

"Hey! I have a carbon fiber hood and a Fiberglass Liftgate with a Ducktail! And what's wrong with 124HP? You beat Keisuke with your 86. And Takeshi! Who was in a 340HP R32 GT-R V-Spec Two!"

"You mean my FATHER'S 86. Dude, you need to remember that the car wasn't completely stock. It had a rally transmission and my father personally tuned the suspension. Plus it had TRD High Tension racing wires and good brakes. That's why I could shift so fast."

"But... Isn't my car lighter?"

"Yeah. But-" Takumi stood up. "Dude, Thunderlane is driving a RALLY CAR. He makes as much horsepower as my car and more torque. While the suspension isn't very responsive, the car handles as good as my 86."

Itsuki's ears fell. "It handles... just as good?"

"I mean It's easier to control. My car has better agility, but the E30's chassis feels stiffer. It's better suited to mountain roads than the 86 is."

"..."

"I'm not a car expert by any means, but having driven the car myself..." He sighed. "Listen, the fact is, you aren't going to win against him. He knows the course and is in a better car than you. You're just going to push yourself too hard and crash. Remember back when I raced Kyoichi on Akagi?"

Itsuki winced. "Yeah..."

"You're thinking about my races on Akina too much. Remember, I know that course inside out. Every turn, every line, every shift point, better than anyone. If you were on Akina or the Canterlot Turnpike, and he had an hour of practice, then maybe you'd win. But here? It's a losing battle."

Itsuki's ears were flat. He said nothing as he took in what Takumi said.

"Just postpone it till tomorrow. You can run it the same time as I did. Maybe run it later for some extra practice."

Itsuki finished putting on the wheel. "What do you want me to do? Upgrade my 86?"

Takumi paused. "Yes actually. Since you're so crazy about being a prince, go ask Celestia if she can give you some bits. Act like you want to try out some circuit racing."

Using his magic, Takumi lift the front end into the air, removed the jackstands, then set it back down. "You done with that tire?"

"Yeah. I... I am."

Takumi lifted the rear end up, removed the jackstands, then set it down. "Now. I guess it's time to go for the Record Run."

"Yeah, right."

"Do me a favor, mind taking the jackstands in your car?"

"I can do that." A new voice suggested.

The alicorns looked over to see Spitfire walking up to them with a smile. Fleetfoot was next to her.

"Oh. You can? Ok then." Takumi set the jackstands and tires down next to each other.

"I overheard you two. Talking about how you should postpone the race with Thunderlane, right?" Spitfire and Fleetfoot stopped a few feet away from them. "Smart choice."

"It's not smart. It's just common sense." Itsuki stated.

"Hm. Well, Takumi, I take it you need somepony to time you?" She held up a stopwatch.

Takumi sighed. "I guess. It's just, normally I'd have one of my teammates time me. Unless," He looked at Itsuki. "Itsuki, do you want to time me?"

"Well, sure. Of course I do. But I don't think I'd be fast enough to get to the bottom in time."

"It's a straight line vs a tight, technical, and wavy line. You can make it to the bottom." Spitfire reassured. "Fleetfoot and I will be flying overhead while he drives."

"Oh. Well, alright then." Takumi walked to the driverside of his 86 and opened the door. "If you're gonna time me, I'll be at the starting line.

krrr-chunka-chunka-vroooOOOOOoooooommmmmmm

Spitfire, Fleetfoot, and Itsuki simply watched as Takumi reversed out of the parking spot and drove towards the starting line.

"Huh." Spitfire looked at Itsuki. "So. Itsuki, you want me to tell Thunderlane that you want to reschedule the race for tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Sounds perfect. Hey, can I have a stopwatch?"

Fleetfoot chucked one over. Itsuki, being Itsuki, failed to catch it, causing it to fall on the ground. He quickly picked it up with his mouth.

"Now." Spitfire unfurled her wings. "Let's go watch a record-breaking run."

"This is gonna be fun," Fleetfoot said.


Takumi slowed to a stop at the starting line. He simply stared ahead, waiting for someone to count him down.

I beat Spitfire. He thought. I beat Spitfire Mariner, captain of the Wonderbolts. It felt... good. No, great. It felt amazing to beat someone in this world, in a different body. But that... that's why it's horrible... it felt amazing...

"Ready?!"

He looked up to spot Itsuki waving and Soarin standing on the side of the road, wing in the air. He shook his head and vacated the thoughts.

Get your head in the game. He thought. Ryosuke would have wanted me to smash every course record I could. That's exactly what I'm here to do tonight.

He shoved the gear shift into first.

Fastway - Overdrive (Extended Version) starts playing.

vrooomroooOOOOOoommmmm

Soarin smiled as he listened to the 4A-GE rumble.

"Here we go! Stopwatches at the ready!" He yelled.

The Sprinter Trueno revved, slightly tilting with each opening of the throttle bodies.

"Ten!"

"Nine!"

"Eight!"

Above, Luna got ready to see how fast Takumi truly was.

"Seven!"

"Six!"

Spitfire looked at Fleetfoot and Thunderlane. "Buckle up you two. We're about to get a front row seat to the greatest Sprinter Trueno Driver in Equestrian History."

"Five!"

"Four!"

"Three!"

"Two!"

"One!"

Soarin shot his wing down. "GO!"

[EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES]

The 86 took off like a rocket. Spitfire and Itsuki started their stopwatches, Itsuki flying as fast as he dared while Spitfire and Fleetfoot followed the 86 as it attacked the mountain road.

EEEEEEEEEEE!

Takumi barely braked as he went into a full four wheel drift into the first corner. He cleared it instantly and swerved into a right corner, clearing it and the very next corner and accelerating.

Spitfire, Fleetfoot, Thunderlane, and Soarin all flew overhead, watching the 86 take corners faster than what they thought was possible.

"It's like art, in a way." Spitfire began as the 86 rocketed around corners. "The way he paints his racing line along the course."

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

"An amateur painter is jagged and hard on the parchment." Spitfire continued. "They try hard to make the painting look good on the first try."

The 86 slowed down and steered into a corner, getting mere centimeters from the inside before exiting centimeters from the guardrail.

Spitfire chuckled. "A professional, no. A natural painter lets the brush flow across the surface smoothly and tastefully, taking hours aside to perfect it. That's what Takumi is doing."

"This isn't taking hours, Spitfire." Thunderlane corrected.

"Oh, but it has taken hours, Thunderlane." Spitfire calmly retorted. "What we're looking at is days upon days, months upon months of practice. Oh my go-hosh..."

They watched Takumi clear a corner by lifting a tire over the inside gutter. He once again exited centimeters from the guardrail.

"I just realized actually. By doing that gutter trick, you aren't wearing the front tires down as much." Spitfire acknowledged.

"Heh. How could the tires wear down if they aren't even touching anything?" Fleetfoot asked.

"Exactly."

Members freaked out when they saw the 86 barreling towards them, some even jumping out of the way in fear of the 86 slamming into the guardrail, only to be proven wrong as it rocketed around the corners.

Princess Luna flew above. her eyes could not believe what she was seeing. The sheer speed Takumi was tackling the corners made her wonder if she could attain that semblance of speed. The fact that Takumi wasn't overloading the tires grip, nor was he missing any shift points, was nothing short of incredible.

"That is his gift." She quietly said. "His natural ability to drive. I want a gift like that."

Fleetfoot and the others continued following the 86 as it sped down a straight, easily exceeding 100 Miles Per Hour. Fleetfoot was simply amazed at the sight. The way Takumi chose his lines smoothly with zero hesitation, how close he came to a guardrail, and the distance he was to the corners before braking all invigorated her to no end.

"I want to race him."

The other three looked at her. "Seriously?" Spitfire asked.

Fleetfoot smiled. "I want to race him in my R32. Even if I don't win, I just want to see that kind of driving from behind. See if I could emulate it."

Takumi entered a corner, braking at the last split second to smoothly lift his wheel over the inside gutter to clear the corner as fast as possible.

Spitfire returned the smile. "Since I'm meeting him tomorrow, you could ask him then." She looked at the stopwatch. "Damn. Look at the time he's putting down."

"Just the way he takes those. If I could put that into my driving... wow..."

"Hey Spitfire, maybe you should bring him onto the Wonderbolts." Soarin joked.

Spitfire laughed. "Considering he's an Alicorn, I doubt he'd join even if I offered the highest position."

"But do you want him on the Wonderbolts?"

Spitfire said nothing as she looked back at the 86.

Soon, farther down the mountain, Itsuki was EXHAUSTED. Even flying at the speed he was, despite having to simply glide down the mountain, he didn't know that. He kept flapping. Which made it hard to get down the mountain.

"I... Jesus... I... hate this... HOH!"

He heard the tires squealing far up the course as he landed next to the finish line.

Suddenly, he smiled. "And Rainbow Dash... doesn't want... to get caught by Spitfire... she says..." he panted.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Soon, Takumi rounded a corner at high speed, using the gutter-lift trick to gain a quicker line. He exited the corner so fast ponies wondered if he was using magic. He wasn't, of course.

He approached a hairpin quickly, faster than any hairpins before. Luna gasped as Takumi braked at the last millisecond, steering in and lifting his front tire over the gutter and over to the other side of it, touching the inner concrete with an impressive four wheel drift, all within the span of a couple tenths of a second. Nopony thought such a move was physically possible.

Physically possible or not, Takumi slingshotted around the hairpin and exited so fast he came not just a few centimeters, but a single. centimeter. from the guardrail. Thought the ponies watching were impressed, Princess Luna being the most impressed, none were prepared for what happened next.

The moment Takumi left the hairpin, the 86 was engulfed in a brilliant bright blue fire. It whipped off of the paintwork the way fire would at over 60MPH, though the paint remained unsigned. The taillights stalled and created lines along the road of where Takumi had driven, the headlights doing a bit of the same thing.

Everypony was speechless. Their eyes were wide, and their jaws were fully open. Nopony could believe their eyes. Even Luna had to rub her eyes to make sure they weren't failing her. They weren't.

"What in the universe?"

Takumi soon rounded another hairpin, fire disappearing as he approached the finish line, shifting as fast as equinely possible.

Itsuki shot up, ready to click the stopwatch. Up above, Spitfire readied hers. "HERE WE GO!"

BEEP!

Music Ends.

Luna let out a breath she had been holding as Takumi braked and slowed to a stop on the side of the road.

Spitfire held up her timer, surprised at the time Takumi had put down. The other pegasi were surprised too.

Itsuki cheered as he saw the time he had gotten, happy for his friend. Spitfire swooped down and landed next to him.

"What time did you get?"

Itsuki looked down at the stopwatch on the ground. "Uh..."

Spitfire rolled her eyes as she used a hoof to pick the stopwatch up. Using a wing to hold the other one next to it. She smiled. "We got within a few tenths of a second. Let's meet in the middle, ok?"

"Sounds fine to me," Itsuki said.

"Sweet Celestia Spitfire..." Soarin began as he looked at the time Spitfire had written down. "I don't think anypony is gonna beat that time. At least not for a while."

Spitfire chuckled looked at Takumi's 86. "You know, I'm glad it was him that beat the course record."

"Why's that?"

"Most-, no, ALL ponies his age would brag and brag and brag about how they beat it. He's different. He doesn't do that. He's... honorable. Yeah. That's what he is. Honorable. He's braver than so many ponies his age. Not because he's overconfident, but because he can actually do the things he wants to do. He has actual skill. That's something that's hard to come by in youth these days."

"What about me?" Itsuki piped up. "I've got skill!"

Spitfire giggled. "Yeah, you both do. Takumi is way better than you, but you are better than a lot of racers I've seen around here."

"Ha!"

"Itsuki." A voice asked.

"AH!" Everyone yelped as they looked at the newcomer, which happened to be Takumi.

"Jesus Takumi! Say something next time!" Itsuki exclaimed.

"I did." Takumi plainly replied. "Now come on. I need to talk to you about something."

"What is it?" Itsuki asked.

Takumi turned and gestured for Itsuki to follow him. "Just follow me."

Itsuki looked at Spitfire and the others before following Takumi to his 86. Nearby, Luna settled behind a bush to listen in. Takumi and Itsuki walked over to the driverside of Takumi's 86, sitting down out of view from the others.

"Ok. What?" Itsuki asked.

There was a pause.

Takumi sighed. "I've been meaning to ask. I... I was wondering if you've thought about what's actually gonna happen to you."

"What do you mean?"

"Like, you know. What's going to happen to us in the future."

"Well, heh." Itsuki smiled. "We'll be princes. We'll be rich, people will respect us and racing, AND 86's! It'll be great. Sure beats working at the gas station or delivering boxes, doesn't it?"

Takumi stared. "Dude. Do you remember your previous life at all? What about Iketani? What about Kenji? What about your parents?"

"What about-..." Itsuki's ears dropped. "What... well... I guess they would be worried..."

"The guys at the Gas Station are worried sick! What do you think happens when you disappear without a trace?"

"But-... hmph... Wait- how do you know they're worried sick?"

Takumi sighed. "Lately, I've been having... dreams, I guess, that involve me being back in Japan. Still as a pony, and nobody can see me. I don't know if they can hear me. Usually I've appeared at the gas station, and really, they're all worried. Iketani's in outright denial."

"... But..." Itsuki sighed. "What if, like, you know. You did try and talk to them? Tell them that we're ok? The next time you appear in those dreams I mean."

"Do you have any idea what that could do? They would think they're going insane!"

"It's Iketani and Kenji. They wouldn't go crazy hearing your voice."

"Yeah. MY voice. If they hear one of the voices that is GONE, they'll think they're going insane."

"... But... Well, that life is behind us, isn't it? We can't go back so why worry? This world-"

Takumi jumped up. "So you want to just forget about your friends?" He snapped. "The people that helped you when you were depressed over Kazumi?"

"We aren't going back!" Itsuki stood up. "We CAN'T go back! If we could go back, I'm sure we would have by now!"

Takumi took an aggressive step forward, causing Itsuki to take a step backward. Unknown to Takumi, his demonic form was showing. And Itsuki could see it. As could Luna, who was about ready to bolt out from her spot and stop the exchange.

After a moment of staring, Takumi scoffed and turned to his 86. "You make me sick. I can't believe I still call you my best friend."

THUNK!

Itsuki watched as the 86 thundered off. He felt his heartache from fright. That stare... that cold, deathly stare Takumi had given him. It made him turn pale with fright.

How could he do that? He wondered. I mean he's yelled at me before but this really takes the cake...

"Itsuki, you alright?" A voice called out.

Itsuki looked over to spot Soarin walking over. "Yeah. I'm... f-fine. I just got into a little argument with Takumi is all."

"Mm. I heard the whole thing." Soarin stopped. "Takumi doesn't seem to be firing on all four cylinders."

Itsuki chuckled. "No, no, he is." He sighed. "I think he's just a bit out of it after the race is all."

"Ha. Maybe. So. Spitfire tells me you aren't racing Thunderlane tonight."

"No. I'm..." Itsuki shook any thoughts of Takumi out of his head. "I'm not. I'm gonna practice and race him tomorrow."

"Hm. Smart. I was wondering why you thought you could even attempt to beat him with less than an hour of practice."

"Yeah. Hehe, I know. It's dumb. I'm gonna install some new parts on my 86. Takumi says there's no way I'm gonna beat Thunderlane's E30 with it. Considering Takumi drove Thunderlane's car, I'll have to take his word."

"Oh yeah! Hey, next time you see Takumi, ask him about that. Thunderlane doesn't know if he should be mad or not considering Spitfire bumped up his pay rate."

"Uh... alright. I'll try." Itsuki sighed. "I guess I'll get back in my 86, go pick up some tires, and get practicing."

"You do that. Watch out for the other members though."

"How many others are there? I don't remember seeing many sports cars."

"Uh... not too many actually. At most ten are up here. Also, you really think they take their racing cars up here? They have their normal cars and then cars that actually race. Well, most of them."

"They have... two cars?"

"Yeah. Why wouldn't they?" Soarin turned. "Anyways, see you. I can't wait to see you practice."

"Uh, yeah. See ya."

Itsuki trotted back to his 86, getting in and closing the door.

"Wow. Everyone here has two cars. I know I have my 86 and 85, but still. They have cars with massive engine displacement. The engine tax must be through the roof... that must mean they're rich as hell."

He started the engine and put it into gear. "Unless they don't have engine tax. In which case, this place is freaking awesome."


Takumi drove on the highway, alone, intending on getting back to Canterlot and simply laying down. The tires felt worn out, but he didn't want to stop by Ponyville. For he knew a certain somepony was going to want to ride back with him.

She's an Alicorn. She resists fatigue. She can fly back to Canterlot herself. He thought before sighing. "This place... this world... this... body... everything about it is amazing. And that's... it sucks..."

He suddenly pulled off to the side of the road. "I need to talk to Luna about this..." He stopped and waited a bit, making a bet with himself that she would show up within a minute.

After ten seconds, he beeped the horn twice. That seemed to prompt her to come down, as she landed next to the car not ten seconds later.

She tentatively opened the door. "Takumi?"

"Just... get in. Please."

Without a word, Luna slowly got in and closed the door.

"Sorry for leaving you." Takumi apologized.

"No, no, it is alright. I thought you needed the time by yourself anyways after you got mad at Itsuki."

Takumi accelerated to highway speeds. "So you saw that."

"Indeed I did. You are not... mad at me, are you?"

Takumi sighed. "No. I'm not. I know why you'd eavesdrop... ugh. I just can't believe Itsuki, you know? How can he think so... what's the word... LOW of his previous life? Of his parents?"

Luna returned the sigh. "That I do not know. I only spend time with you."

"Well, spend time with him. Ask him-... no, no. Ask Cadance to spend time with him."

"You say that like you want me to spend more time with you."

"No. I'm saying that because Cadance has spent a little time with him. Plus, Itsuki's the one with a love relationship already. Cadance is the Princess of Love." He scoffed. "Probably why he doesn't want to leave..."

"One of the reasons why. He is looking at the positives of Alicorn life and this world."

"Yeah. He's not realizing what's actually going to happen to us. Now, there's something I want to talk to you about."

"What is it?"

"It's about my race. Against Spitfire."

"Oh yes." Luna smiled. "That was one of the best things I have ever seen. I am sure it must have felt amazing to beat her."

"Yeah. It did. It felt amazing. But... that's the problem."

"How is that the problem?"

"Everything about this world and my form is amazing. Being able to fly and perform magic is way better than just... doing things without those I guess. And this whole world. Everything is so vibrant, expansive, way different from Japan, that's for sure."

"Is Japan a very tightly packed place?"

"Well... a little. Things are designed to be close and easily accessed. So... kind of? Not anything Dystopian or anything."

"Dystopian?!"

"Er! No! I mean-" Takumi sighed. "Nevermind. Point is, this world is just... amazing. And I actually want to stay here."

Luna said nothing.

"I really do. It's just, my friends... father... It's either, be selfish and stay in this amazing world, or be selfless and go home.'

"Well, Takumi, none of us know how to get back to your world."

"I know. I probably don't have a choice. But still... what if... I did go back? Knowing that this place exists? I don't know if I could live properly, knowing there's a whole other... o-other... oh... oh fuck..."

"What is it?"

"I don't know... I just..." He shook his head. "don't know."

They drove in silence for a while. Takumi looked up at the moon, which was hard because of how high it was positioned.

To think I am sitting next to a being that can literally move the moon. He thought. I guess It's probably because she's an Alicorn so... huh. I wonder if I could move the moon.

He looked back ahead for a moment before looking back at the moon. "Wasn't the moon full last night? And... wait..."

"Was the moon... full?"

"Nevermind."

"No no, what do you mean by that?"

"I meant, why isn't it a crescent?"

"A crescent? Why would it be a crescent?"

Takumi sighed. "Because the light would've been obscured. I just remembered that your moon is different from Earth's moon."

"Light would have been..."

"The light would have been obscured. Right now it should be a shallow crescent. Here, when we get back I can draw one for you."

Luna said nothing as she processed what Takumi said. She looked up at her moon and tapped her chin. "Hmm..."

Takumi sighed. "I don't even-"

"Like that?" Luna interrupted.

Takumi looked at her. "What?"

Luna pointed up at her moon. "Is that what you meant? By it being a shallow crescent?"

Takumi's eyes widened. He leaned forward to look up at the moon through the windshield. Up above, the moon was a shallow crescent. It would've been exactly like back on earth if it wasn't stupid close.

"Yep." He leaned back, speaking through gritted teeth. "That's exactly what I meant- ok what exactly are you able to do with that moon? YOUR moon?"

"Well, I can move it, and change its lighting."

"Oh, so you could make it red?"

"Yes."

"... Ok then. What about Celestia? Can she do the same? Make the sun red?"

"...Possibly."

"Hm"

"So does the moon slowly turn into a deeper and deeper crescent before going dark entirely, then it turns into a shallower and shallower crescent before becoming full and repeating the process?"

"Over the course of a month, yeah. So that means uhh... what day is it?"

"The 21st."

"Oh. So it should be... Half and Half."

"Half and Half?"

"Half Dark, Half Light. Er- Bright."

"Intriguing."

...

"You just made it half and half, didn't you?"

"Of course."

"Luna, this whole moon cycle thing is supposed to be an Earth thing. Not a... an Equestrian thing. If you've been keeping it full the whole time, don't change it because-"

"Takumi, it will be fine. This adds variation in the night."

Takumi stayed silent before sighing. "It's your night I guess. Never thought I'd say something like that."

"Hm."

More silence. Soon, they were off the highway and traveling up the Turnpike. This gave Luna an idea.

"So. Takumi. After our meeting, would you like to come back out to the Turnpike?"

"Meeting? What meeting?"

"The meeting you, me, and- Oh! You were not meant to- urrrgh." She sighed. "My sister and I planned a royal meeting between the three of us."

"Ok? About what?"

"Just to talk."

Takumi eyed her. "Just to talk?"

"Yes."

"JUST to talk?"

"Yes? What is so confusing about that?"

Takumi sighed. "I don't know. I just feel like it isn't 'just to talk' is all."

Luna giggled. "Of course it is just to talk. I do not know what could be making you think it is anything else."

Takumi simply stared ahead, saying nothing as they went up the Turnpike.

"Well?"

Takumi looked at her. "Well what?"

"Would you like to come back out to the Turnpike with me?"

"..Sure. Not like I have anything better to do."


Later, Takumi slowed to a stop within the Royal Parking Lot. Luna got out and instantly changed into her mature form upon noticing Celestia waiting on the steps.

"Ah! Takumi! It seems my sister has been waiting for us!"

"Cool."

Celestia walked over with a smile. "Did you two have fun in Manehattan?"

"We had a splendid time, sister."

"Well, that's good. We have a meeting to get to."

Luna bit her lip. "Of course. Takumi, shall we head in?"

"...no."

The sisters were surprised. "No?"

Takumi sighed. "The fuel is low. I'm gonna head out real quick and get some."

"But, Takumi, we could simply ask somepony to fill the car up with the fuel of your choosing," Luna stated.

"I want to do SOMETHING normal, ok? Now, do either of you know where the nearest gas station with High Octane is?"

Luna sighed. "There is one just down the road."

"Thanks. I'll be back in a few."

With that, Takumi put the 86 into reverse and pulled out of the spot, then accelerated out of the gate and out of the lot.

Celestia eyed Luna. "Sister, we could've tried to get him to stay. Why did you give up so soon?"

Luna sighed. "Because he is stubborn. We would have wasted time. But, that being said, this does give us time to prepare for the um... royal meeting."

Celestia giggled. "Oh yes, I suppose it does."

The sisters began walking up the steps, only for the eldest to stop short.

"By the way, Luna?"

"Yes?"

Celestia looked up and pointed. "What is that?"

Luna looked up at her half-dark moon. "My moon. What about it?"

"Just... why?"

"Ohhh just a little thing Takumi told me about. I have decided to start employing it. It will give a much-needed variation in the night."

They began walking again, into the castle. "Are the stars not enough?" Celestia asked.

"Tell me, how many ponies actually notice how the stars change?"

"... You have a point."

"Hm."

Soon, the sisters made their way into Takumi's room and sat down at a table. Celestia looked around, wondering what to do.

"What should we do?" Celestia asked.

"Nothing," Luna replied.

Celestia was surprised. "Nothing?"

"Besides lowering the room temperature to around fifty-five degrees Fahrenheit, nothing. You do not need to prepare the room for it. All you need is a nice soft and comfortable bed, a dark setting, and that is it. Oh! Hang on," Luna stood up and walked over to the bed. "Is this bed one of the fancyyyy-yes! It is!"

"What?"

Luna walked back and sat down. "It is one of those amazing beds that can change its temperature."

"Ah. Of course."

"Second best invention of the modern world."

"What's the first?"

Luna paused. She was going to say cars since those had taken first place due to her sudden street racing addiction, but if Celestia were to know that...

"That is something only for me to know," she stated with a sly tone.

"Hm. Now. Luna-..." Celestia sighed. "What is with this relationship of yours?"

"Relationship?"

"With Takumi. Don't think I haven't noticed the amount of time I've spe- wait, I've spent? YOU'VE spent with him. Tell me, why are you doing it?"

"Because I want to make sure nothing happens to him."

Celestia eyed Luna. "No. If you were an advisor to him, that statement makes sense. But you are the secondary ruler of Equestria. He is, as he states, just some teenager. You have never 'followed' somepony as intently as much as you do to him."

"..."

"I'm not accusing you of a love relationship. At this time, it seems that you two are merely close friends."

"Y-Yes. That is exactly what we are. Just very close friends."

"Oh? What is it like?"

"...Well... how could I put this... He does not talk a lot."

"I've noticed."

"But when he does get talking, he gets talking. Some of the mini-speeches he has given, especially if they are about his 86, are incredible. What is even more incredible is how they seem to come out of nowhere. Out of instinct. It seems natural."

"Ah. So you are jealous of him because he can perform a speech off the top of his head while you take days to write one yourself?"

Luna blushed. "A little. Point is, when he starts talking, he starts talking."

"Hm. What was that about his mini-speeches being incredible if they were about his Trueno?"

"Because of his connection with the liftback."

As Luna spoke, somewhere in Canterlot sat Takumi as he filled up the 86 with high-octane.

"He really has developed a connection to his 86. He drives it as if it were an extension of his body. If he is angry, the ride feels slightly unstable but still smooth. If he is sad or confused, the ride feels slow, unsure. It is almost as if the car itself shares his feelings."

Takumi pulled the nozzle into the fuel pump. He got in the 86 and started its engine.

"He drove that car for five full years on Mount Akina Pass," Luna continued. "He learned every single one of its strengths and weaknesses, how it acted under various conditions. He drove it nonstop for five years, every single night, rain or snow, just to deliver tofu for his father's shop."

Takumi stared at the road ahead as he drove through Canterlot, rubbing the steering wheel.

"When he ran those deliveries, the 86 was the only other thing with him. My assumption is he would talk to the 86 like a close friend because of that. And over the course of five years of nonstop training, albeit only one run a night, his close bond strengthened with how much he talked to it. And now that he is an Alicorn, that bond is forever inseparable."

Takumi flicked on the turn signal and steered into the royal parking lot, waiting for the gate to open before proceeding to park.

"I doubt you will ever find somepony closer to a Toyota AE86 than him. His relationship with it is in fact one of the reasons I spend so much time with him. He intrigues me. Plus, what kind of a mentor will I be if I wasn't very close with him?"

Celestia smiled. "I take back what I said about you not being good at speeches."

Luna gasped. "Wait, what?"

"Did you not just hear yourself? I believe Takumi's natural way of speaking has rubbed off on you."

Luna looked away sheepishly, blushing.

"And yes, I guess it would be better for one to get close with their mentor. But, Luna, can I ask you something?"

"What?"

"Have you thought about your relationship, long-term?"

Luna looked at her. "Do you mean what will happen in the coming years?"

"I mean in the coming centuries."

Luna looked down and sighed. "I..."

"My natural way of speaking huh?" a new voice asked.

The sisters looked to the door to find Takumi there just as he was closing it.

"I just say what's on my mind. That's all," Takumi stated.

"Oh. Hello Tahh... kumi?" Luna trailed off as she noticed the downcast look on his face. "Is... something wrong? Takumi?"

"I don't know." Takumi jumped up on the bed and sat down. "I was just... thinking about something."

"What is it?" Celestia asked.

"If I'm never going to die... I could keep practicing in my 86. Night after Night, Month after Month, Year after Year..."

"Okayyy..."

"What would a thousand years of driving experience look like?"

The sisters were surprised.

"Really," he continued. "What would one thousand years of driving- no, racing experience look like? What would even a hundred years look like? One hundred years of experience, without being screwed over by your own body?"

Celestia spoke after a few seconds. "Well, it would likely be-... it would likely just be a fast moving car."

"No. It wouldn't be like that," Takumi stated. "Celestia, I know you don't race. But there is a lot more to taking corners than just going from the outside to the inside, then back to outside."

He waited for a response. After getting none, he continued.

"In a corner, there aren't only a few ways to take it. There's an almost infinite number of ways to take them. Tiny variations in the steering, throttle, the smallest details, each of them is a way to take the corner."

Both sisters were greatly intrigued. Luna especially.

"Sure, on the outside it would look like the car is just going faster than you'd think would be possible. But on the inside... what would that look like? Er, feel like?"

"Well, I doubt you would feel anything at all," Celestia stated. "After a thousand years, your muscle memory would be so accustomed to it that you would do it without ever thinking. You would likely be able to sleep as you drive if you know the road so well."

"Hm... You know, my father trained me to become the fastest street racer the world has ever seen. Now I will literally become that. The literal fastest racer ever, more in sync with my car than anything else."

"Takumi, you do realize that at some point, you may grow to dislike racing?"

Takumi stared at her, wearing a downcast poker face. He looked down.

"That's what I'm scared about..." he said, barely a whisper. "I don't want to dislike racing..."

"You will not dislike racing," Luna stated. "There are veteran racers who have been in motorsport for decades."

"Decades? Try CENTURIES," Takumi snapped, showing his demonic form for a split second. "CENTURIES, LUNA. You are over a thousand years old. You mean to tell me you haven't stopped loving something over the course of a thousand years? Same goes for you, Celestia."

Luna's ears dropped as she looked away.

"What?" Takumi asked.

Celestia looked at Takumi, then Luna. She sighed.

Leaning in next to Luna, she whispered. "I think it's time you tell him a little more about yourself. At this point, I don't think we're going to get to what this meeting was supposed to be about."

"I just... I do not know why I am afraid to tell him..." Luna whispered back.

"Sister, it's just us in this room. I can fill in any details. With both of us here, I'm sure he will understand."

Luna silently looked back at Takumi, who just stared with a small frown.

"Tell me a little more about yourself?" he asked.

Celestia looked at him. "How did you hear that?'

"I'm right here."

Luna sighed. "Fine..."

"Fine, what?"

"Takumi... There is something you should know about me. Something that... I should have told you sooner."

Takumi tilted his head. "What is it?"

Luna took in a deep breath. "It is about... Nightmare Moon."

Takumi's eyes widened in instant realization. "No. Oh dear god no."

"It-... do you... know what I'm about to say?"

"I'm not stupid, Luna. You drive an R33. Nightmare Moon drives an R33. Nightmare MOON, LUNA. LUNAR. I knew there had to be some kind of connection."

"So... you know?" Luna's ears were now flat on her head.

"There's no way that could have been you attacking me on Akina, especially with Heartbreaker. Or in my nightmares. So either Nightmare Moon is some kind of demon that used an R33 because she wanted to be like you, or she's a twin sister."

Celestia's ears flattened.

"That, or maybe she was born a-" Takumi stopped, seeing the looks on the sisters' faces. "None... of those are right... are they?"

"Well, it was not me attacking you on Akina. It was indeed Nightmare Moon. But... I was Nightmare Moon."

"...It was Nightmare Moon attacking me... but you were her?"

"Not-, the Nightmare Moon that attacked you. Before that. I have not been on this planet for a thousand years."

Takumi said nothing, looking more confused than anything.

"Before you storm out in rage, hear us out," Celestia pleaded. "Nightmare Moon is in fact a dark counterpart to my sister. One we- I think separated from Luna at some point."

"..."

"Nightmare Moon is NOT Luna. Their different personalities reflect that. Nightmare Moon is simply a dark counterpart that may have escaped Luna's grasp."

"So... Nightmare Moon was created... because of Luna?"

"Inadvertently," Luna quickly stated. "Likely out of my control."

"So you... AREN'T a thousand years old?"

"Technically, no. I was not on this planet for a thousand years. A thousand years ago, I let anger overtake me. I foolishly allowed her to overtake me."

"So, just to make sure... You were Nightmare Moon, but... Ok- So Nightmare Moon is a separate... Entity? Being?"

"Yes. One that has somehow separated herself from me."

"Every Alicorn has some kind of dark- SEPARATE counterpart. Is that what you're saying?"

"It's only a theory," Celestia stated. "but at this moment, yes."

Takumi took in the information for a moment before sighing. "So... do they all play on their... light forms? Their names, I mean."

"I would assume so. We have theorized what their names would be." Luna decided to try and make the conversation more lighthearted. "Nightmare Moon is mine, Celestia thinks hers would be Solar Flare, and Twilight's may be-"

"Hold on, how the heck are these dark counterparts created?" Takumi interrupted.

"That we do not know," Celestia replied. "We've never asked."

"...Ok. Well, continue on the names."

Luna forced a small smile. "Twilight may be Midnight Eclipse, and Cadance may be... hmm... have we ever theorized Cadance's?"

"No, I don't think we have," Celestia said. "If we did, I certainly can't remember the name."

"Heartbreaker," Takumi stated.

The sisters looked at him. "Heartbreaker?" Luna asked. "As in the one that attacked you on Akina? How can you be so sure?"

Takumi scoffed as he got off the bed. "Because Cadance drives a pink Miura. Heartbreaker drove a Miura. Put two and two together."

He walked towards the door. "I'm gonna go to the Turnpike for a few. I... need some time to think about this." He put his hoof on the doorknob and stopped, not turning it.

"Is... something the matter, Takumi?" Luna asked.

"How... Celestia..." he slowly began. "How did you cope with losing all your friends and family the first time?"

Celestia sighed. "Takumi..." She mustered up the courage. If Takumi wanted to know, than he might as well know. "It was hard. Very hard. The ponies that had brought me into this world, and everypony else I knew from childhood, gone. With barely anything for me to do about it."

"But you understood it because you were an Alicorn, didn't you? These things are bound to happen no matter what, aren't they?"

"You think I wanted them to die?" Celestia asked, standing up from the table and fighting tears. "You think that made it any less hurtful? They taught me and Luna to be the way we are. Kind, caring rulers willing to protect their subjects. I cried, Takumi. I shut myself in my room for weeks."

Takumi said nothing, keeping his hoof on the doorknob and staring at said door.

"And you want to know the worst part about it? Luna didn't even get to say goodbye. She was on the moon by the time they passed. Knowing she would never get to see them again, knowing she would never get to say goodbye..." She took in a breath. "It hurt."

"And you think I don't feel the same?" Takumi asked, turning around. "I was ripped from my world. My friends, my father. I didn't get to say goodbye either. And me, knowing that they're gonna go on to live their lives makes me... I just..." He looked at the ground as he took a deep breath in. "I want... to go home..."

"Takumi..." Celestia sighed. "You should at least try to look at the upsides of being an Alicorn."

"...When you say upsides..."

"Not just the money and fame. I'm talking about what you could truly do for Equestria."

She waited as Takumi sat on the carpet. Seeing as he continued to stare at the floor, she took a quick glance at Luna before sitting down and continuing.

"Normally, Alicorns are elevated to their position by way of great achievement. But you, and Itsuki, have been somehow elevated without anypony choosing it. And to my knowledge, you were always an Alicorn in our world, while Itsuki was a Unicorn."

Takumi winced.

"Though that can be a burden, it is also a gift, not only to you but to Equestria as a whole, because of the great good an Alicorn can do. It is your duty to use your powers, and the knowledge and wisdom you'll acquire over centuries, to make Equestria a better place. You must accept the fate chosen for you and make the most of it."

"But what if I don't WANT to do that?" Takumi snapped, looking up and staring at the sisters. His demonic form was showing. Not just for a second, but it was continuously showing, allowing the sisters a full detailed view of it.

Initial D First Stage Sound Files vol.1 - Admiration starts playing. (Put it on loop!)

"How do you expect me to go on, knowing my world is advancing right next to this one? Knowing my friends, father, family, are all going without me? I get little snippets here and there of what they're doing, but you think I can deal with life knowing all my friends are dying without me even knowing? Equestria was doing just fine before me and Itsuki came along, right? What good can me and him do? What good could Itsuki do?"

"Yes, Itsuki needs some education," Celestia agreed. "He's in no condition to rule properly."

"What makes you think I'M in a condition to rule? How? HOW am I supposed to go on knowing about my world? I can't! The guys at the Gas Station will probably die alone, my f-father will be devasted about the YEARS he wasted on me to make me the fastest driver ever-"

"It could not have been a waste," Luna blurted.

"To HIM, he might as well have wasted it. He doesn't know where I am. I've disappeared. And then-... Itsuki... why... why the hell did ITSUKI get chosen? He's a monster. He doesn't care about his old life. His friends and family. Why did I become friends with such a jerk..."

"Takumi, I'm sure there's a reason for Itsuki's actions," Celestia soothed.

Takumi sighed as he looked down. The form still showed. "I just don't get it. Why. I've lost them. I've... I've lost them all... Every single one of them..."

Tears welled up in his eyes. This caused the form to slowly flicker.

"Every one of them, gone. They'll think I killed myself or something."

"I'm sure it won't come to that," Celestia tried to reassure. Though she could feel small tears approaching her eyes. "Takumi, if you have questions about what to do when your parents are gone..."

"I am nineteen years old. When did you lose your parents? When you were sixty? Seventy? I am NINETEEN. I DIDN'T ASK FOR ANY OF THIS!"

He took in a shaky breath.

"How can you sit there and talk so calmly about your parents? I'm not you. I can't deal with this. I don't want to be immortal. I want to live a normal life and stay with my friends. Not outlive them."

Luna felt her heart ache as tears welled. "How do you think I felt when I realized my parents were gone? When I came back?"

"At least you didn't lose them because you were put in a different world! I just lost ALL OF THEM AGAINST MY WILL! I DON'T WANT... want... I want... I want... to go home..."

"Takumi..." Celestia raised a hoof.

"I want... to go home... why is that too much to ask? I want to say goodbye... to my friends... to my... mah-hie... frie-he-hendss..."

The dark form dissipated as Takumi finally broke. Tears streamed down and off his face, each drop touching the floor below. He tried to wipe the tears away, but couldn't.

Luna couldn't take the sight as she herself burst into tears. She ran over to Takumi and sat down, hugging him tightly. Takumi wrapped his hooves around Luna and held her, crying deep into her fur.

Celestia felt the dam begin to break as she stared at the sight. Luna had changed into her juvenile form. Her smaller, more vulnerable form.

Silently, she stood up and slowly stepped towards the Alicorns. She sat next to them and wrapped her wings and arms around them, gently petting them.

"T-There there you two..." she tried to console. But as she held her young, crying sister, and a devastated teenager who just wanted to say goodbye, she thought about the sheer gravity of what Takumi was going through. He just wanted to go home. Even when offered a chance at the best life one could want, he wanted his friends and family more.



The dam broke. And it broke badly. She held them tighter as old memories of her parents resurfaced. Memories of how they would read books to them, play with them, fly with them, all of them ones she greatly cherished. Now they brought only sorrow. She wanted them back. To see them and hug them one more time.

She hugged Takumi and Luna tighter.

The sisters knew of the devastating effects of immortality for a long time. They had learned to accept it and had never gave it much thought, yet this teenager had fully revealed the true effects of what happens to an immortal being. Not everyone wants immortality. Not everyone wants to live, knowing their friends and family will die old while they remain Forever Young. Some people just want to stick with their friends, and that's good enough.

Takumi nestled himself into Luna's fur, Celestia's soft feathers clinging to his back. He felt cold, as if all heat had left his body, but the warmth of Celestia and Luna clung to him. He didn't want them to leave him. Ever. They were so warm... and soft...

"I love you both..." he slowly said.

"We love you too, Takumi..." Celestia replied.

"We will always be here for you," Luna shakily added.

Takumi nestled deeper into Luna's tear-soaked fur. He didn't care that Luna used to be a demon. He cared about her the way she was now. She helped him get through the world so far, and would likely continue to do it for the rest of time. All the while wanting to learn from him on how to drive fast on the mountain pass. And now, they were hugging. He didn't want it to end.



The ends of his mouth rose. I love you, Luna...

Author's Note:

How would YOU write your OC reacting to immortality?