• Published 26th Jun 2021
  • 1,190 Views, 29 Comments

The Eight-Six Duo - Fujimi200SX



Two young High Schoolers appear seemingly out of nowhere at Twilight's Crystal Castle, claiming to be from a place called Japan.

  • ...
5
 29
 1,190

Act 15: Undeserving

12:56AM, Rainbow Dash's house.

"I really wish I had arrived here sooner." Itsuki wished as he scrolled through pages on Rainbow Dash's computer.

"Why?" the Cerulean pegasus asked, standing next to Itsuki, who was sitting in a gaming chair.

"Because look at these 86 prices. I don't know how Bits would translate to Yen but these prices are stupid low!" Itsuki pointed at a red AE86 Levin Coupe. "Look at this one. 58000 kilometers, manual transmission, great paint, this thing would have gone for so much more back in Japan."

"Uh, that's in miles. Not kilometers.

"Oh. Right. Still gotta get used to that. But seriously, this should be going for way more than it is."

"It's not that popular of a car. No offense but the car really is just an old econobox. A fun econobox, but still an econobox."

"Well, ponies around here are missing out. The AE86 is the best car for the mountain pass hands down."

"You mean hooves down? Also not many ponies race in the mountains. They stick to the circuits."

"That doesn't mean anything- here, look."

Itsuki pressed the keyboard with his hooves, searching something. He felt extremely satisfied with how fast the page loaded.

"I freaking love this internet speed."

"Best of the best!" Dash boasted.

"Best internet for the best pegasus." Itsuki flirted.

Dash rolled her eyes.

"Anyways, look." Itsuki pointed as he scrolled past images of AE86's adorned with racing liveries and competition enhancements. "Tell me you wouldn't look at these and think 'damn this car must be awesome'. Look at this! A rally car!"

"Yeah, these look pretty good."

Itsuki's mouth watered from how insane some of AE86's were. Super Silhouettes, rally cars, circuit racers, a time attack car, they all made him want to get out there and buy up all the modifications he could.

"I really need to upgrade my Levin..."

"Why haven't you?"

"Because I've been hanging out with you. That's why."

"Hey, I'm alright with tuning your car with you. I could learn how to do it before going to my car."

"Mm. Plus I need to ask Celestia if I have access to money or anything."

"Uh..." Dash was skeptical. "You think Celestia would let you just... have money? I'm the element of Loyalty yet It's not like she gives me money."

"Does she? Uh... mayyybe since I'm an Alicorn she'll do it?"

Dash sighed. "We'll have to check tomorrow. Hey, how about we look at some S13's? I saw a picture of a cyan one earlier and WOW they look good."

Itsuki happily typed up 'nissan s13 for sale' and made his way onto a site. They scrolled past plenty of used S13 Silvia's, some modified while others weren't.

"Wow look at this one. Low mileage." Dash commented.

"Nice color too. Price seems alright."

"Well I did some research during my lunch break and found that they made over 350000 S13's. That's why the prices are the way they are. I could honestly buy one of these if I saved up for a month."

"Since you're on the freaking AIR FORCE then yeah I'm sure you could,"

Dash laughed. "Ha! Yeah! That's why I don't know if I should tell Spitfire or anything. About the, you know. Street racing."

"I already told her about me street racing. She's cool with it."

"Yeah but you aren't on the Wonderbolts, are you?"

"...no."

"Yeah. What if she... kicks me out or something? I've worked my whole LIFE to become a Wonderbolt! If I were to lose that..."

"Oh come on. I'm sure Spitfire will be fine with it. She seems like a cool girl. She owns an S14 for flying out loud. Surely she's had her fair share of racing with it."

Dash stared at him, tilting her head, jaw slightly open.

Itsuki looked at her. "What?"

"Flying out loud?"

Itsuki looked back at the screen. "Sounded good in my head."

Dash slowly formed a smile before shaking her head. "Nice. Anyways. Oh look at that- I'm sorry who thinks a 160000 mile modified show car is worth that much?"

"Yeah what the hell?" Itsuki agreed as they looked at a heavily modified S13, one modified to be lowered with excessively cambered wheels. "This looks horrible."

"I'll say." Dash yawned. "Man I'm tired."

Itsuki contagiously yawned. "So am I. Wanna head to bed?"

"Sure."

Itsuki shut the PC off and turned around in time to see Dash stretching her wings. He felt the heat rushing to his face as he took in her pose.

Holy hell she's hot...

He quickly began stretching when Dash turned around. It felt weird to do it as a pony.

"Anyways...uhn. Should I sleep on your bed or just stay on the couch?"

"Uhhh..." Dash looked at her bed, face reddening. The bed wasn't exactly meant for two ponies. It would work, but they would have to be nearly against each other. "I mean... it would be a bit cramped."

Pull back, you idiot. Itsuki thought. "Right, you're right. I'll be on the couch. Hey, you know where a blanket is?"

"It's uh- yeah here, one second." Dash quickly ducked into a closet. Within seconds, she brought out a silver silk blanket and pillow. "Here."

Itsuki levitated the pillow and blanket onto his back in the most jank way possible. "Thanks..." He slowly turned. "Good night."

"Night."


Luna felt the G-Forces diagonally behind her as Takumi drifted around a corner. The feeling was nothing short of exhilarating.

We have been out for so long. The way Takumi is taking to this course is amazing. She thought.

As they slowed down at the bottom of the course, Luna had a thought.

"Takumi?"

"Mm?"

"How have you adapted to driving as a pony so well?"

"I'm used to it," was his simple reply.

"...pardon?"

"I mean, I'm so used to Akina that I can take any handicap. Any condition. I just drove on there and adapted to the handicap of, well, not being able to grip the wheel like normal. It was easy to put that into driving anywhere else."

"Really?"

Takumi nodded as he continued. They had agreed that the run they just did was the last before changing out the tires for the eight time. Also they needed gas. He eyed the digital clock on the dashboard which read 4:27AM.

"You know, I'm surprised I'm not tired."

Luna said nothing.

"No seriously, I've been up since, what? Nine in the morning? So that's what, twelve... nineteen-almost twenty hours?"

"That is normal."

That was a little surprising. "It is?"

"Yes. Alicorns possess multiple resistances compared to all beings. One of which is a resistance to fatigue."

Takumi took a few seconds to process this. "Wha..? Seriously?"

Luna nodded with a smile. "Would you like to know the other resistances?"

"Yes, yes I do." Takumi put the blinker on as they got back on the highway.

"Well, let me see. Resistances resistances... there is Fatigue, we are able to focus at 100% for an extended period of time, our bodies are resistant to cold, heat, general damage, so somepony must be very powerful to significantly affect us. Our immune systems are heavily fortified, then there is... hm... I believe that is it. There may be more, but those are the ones off the top of my head."

She looked over at Takumi, who just stared at her wide-eyed with a slightly open jaw.

"What?"

"That..." Takumi formulated the words. "That is... perfect."

"What do you mean?"

"Those are perfect for a race!" Takumi exclaimed, looking back ahead.

Luna smiled, instantly wanting to know how they were perfect. "How so?"

"Fatigue Resistance is good for practicing." He began. "You can practice all night long and never get tired, so your performance is never screwed over. Not to mention how great it would be for endurance racing. Then, being able to focus at 100% is literally the most perfect thing for endurance racing on a mountain road."

"Is it now?"

"Yeah. You have to focus entirely on driving when on a mountain road. It's just turn after turn after turn after turn out there. It may not seem like much for a time attack, but when It's an endurance battle, you really feel it after a few runs. You start getting tired. You make mistakes and screw up."

Luna was confused. "Wait, if you lose focus after a few runs, runs that only last a mere five minutes depending on the course and pace, so after maybe twenty minutes, then how do drivers in the 24 Hours of Manehattan stay going for so long?"

"You mean the 24 Hours of Le-... oh. Nevermind. Also, there is a big difference between the Circuit and the Mountain Pass."

"I know. But what about those circuits that are nearly all corners? Like the Manehattan Circuit?"

Takumi sighed. "You know how nearly all the circuits have that one long straightaway?"

"Yes, yes I do."

"That straightaway is there so people can get their focus back. So they can just relax and press on the accelerator."

Luna thought it through. That did make sense. A place where you could take a break from constantly managing your acceleration, braking, and cornering, and just roll through the gears till you hit top speed, did sound refreshing.

"Hm. I see your point. How intriguing."

Takumi nodded. "Remember, on a mountain pass, you don't have that sort of thing. Maybe there's one long straightaway or a huge curve, but those are never long enough to relax. You literally cannot stop focusing on driving or else you'll screw up. That's just the way it is on the Mountain Pass."

"Hm."

"Then, heat resistance is good for endurance as well. You sweat less so you don't lose focus as easily. Plus you can focus more on driving instead of wiping your head."

Luna said nothing as they pulled into a gas station for the second time that night, not feeling the need to. Takumi stopped the 86 and got out, walking over to a pump and filling the 86 up with high octane.

She relaxed in her chair as she stared at the night sky. Her moon hung high in the air, gently glowing and illuminating all of Equestria. To think Takumi's favorite thing to do was race at night. She didn't know if he loved the night or not, but his favorite hobby was only done at night. So that was that.

"Hmm..."

Takumi finished refueling the 86 and got back in, keying the ignition.

"Takumi?"

"Yeah?" Takumi looked at Luna, who looked at him.

"What is your opinion on the night?"

Takumi tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

"What do you think of it?"

"Oh. Um..." Takumi looked around. "In general? I think it's alright. Back home it's always so dark normally. Around here it's... pretty bright."

"Is it dark in your world? At night?"

"Yeah. Darkest when the moon isn't out. But even our 'night' was never as bright as this. God it feels so weird to say that..."

"But do you like it?"

"I like it. But with how bright it is, I feel like one-... crap."

"What?"

Takumi put the 86 into gear and got back on the highway. "Nothing. I just realized there's a racing move I might not be able to pull off."

"What racing move?"

Takumi thought about telling Luna, remembering a racing move he took pride in doing. He remembered being behind a yellow Honda Civic Type R EK9, following it through a series of corners. His hand reached right behind the steering wheel, grabbing a small lever. Suddenly, the back of the EK9 went completely dark save for the taillights.

"You would hate me if I told you." Takumi slowly said.

Luna nearly pressed further but decided against it. If he had a personal move, then it was his to know. Maybe it would be better to leave it a surprise.

Soon, they were back in town grabbing another set of tires. Luna was happy to learn how to change out a set of tires, knowing she could use this knowledge to change the tires on her Cosmo. It was fun to learn how to actually work on cars. She had spent plenty of time putting research into how to work on cars and make them her own. To actually do it? The feeling was fulfilling.

A thought, as usual, crossed her mind as she looked over one of the Watanabe rims. "Have you ever considered carbon fiber rims?"

Takumi shook his head. "Not really. I prefer the look of these rims."

"Well, I mean these same rims, same color, but made of carbon fiber. I have heard about the material and honestly, the qualities it has makes me wonder why every car isn't using it."

"Mm... I dunno. These rims are sort of part of the car. If they get screwed up, sure. I might consider it."

"What if you could change their material?"

Takumi looked at her, curious. "Can I do that?"

"Yes. Yes, you can. It is a borderline-alicorn level spell, but with practice, I am sure you could do it."

Takumi rolled his eyes. "I guess I'm technically a step above that level."

Luna giggled. "That is sadly not the case. You must learn the spell and the properties of the material first. Anyway, It would only change the material. The paint would stay on. It would be like it was never touched or changed. Well, aside from the performance gains."

Takumi smirked. "That does sound nice. Any other car researches you want to tell me about? Ways I can upgrade my car?"

"...Polycarbonate windows?"

"Uh... what's that?"

"The carbon fiber of windows."

Alright, this was cute. Luna was actively wanting to learn more about cars. She probably learned about this not too long ago, hence why she brought it up.

"I don't see why not. How much weight would it remove?"

"Well, a polycarbonate sheet is 50% lighter than a sheet of glass that has the same dimensions."

Takumi was impressed. "That sounds... pretty good actually. Less weight towards the top does mean a lower center of gravity. My dad liked to say that."

"Mm, yes. If you want, I can pay for the conversion." She noticed a slightly pained look on Takumi's face. "I-I know it is your car and all! It is just, neither of us has the experience to perform such a task."

Takumi was stuck between deadpanning and confusion. "We... have magic?"

"It has been proven time and time again that manual labor is far better than magical labor. And not just in the automotive industry."

"Hmm..." Takumi was silent as he put the last wheel on. "Makes sense I guess."

Luna nodded as they gently lowered the 86 off the jack stands and back onto the ground. They wasted no time getting back in and starting the engine. Fortunately, the engine was still somewhat warm, so they were able to get moving quickly.

As they slowly rolled through town, avoiding the hay blocks that lined and sometimes sat in the middle of the road, Luna sat in silence.

It was kind of invigorating, to be honest. The feeling of being a sneaky little mare and avoiding other ponies, especially when doing something so scandalous, something Celestia would freak out about if she were found out, there was something about it that really made her heart flutter.

"I can't believe... I am going be racing the leader of the Wonderbolts..."

Luna smiled. "I would be lying if I said I did not feel the same."

"It's not like that. Well, not entirely. I mean..." He sighed. "Back in my world- I will NEVER get used to saying that. But back in my world, there's another team called the Wonderbolts."

Luna was intrigued. "Really?"

"Yeah. It's weird because I am racing the leader of this world's Wonderbolts, who is a girl and drive an S14. MY world's Wonderbolts' leader is a man named Satoru, I think twenty or twenty one, who drives an EPC."

"A what?"

"An EPC."

"Um..."

Takumi sighed again. "He drives a 1975 Ford Capri."

"He drives a..."

"1975 Ford Capri. It's about the same color as you with golden accents."

"I have... never heard of such a car."

"It's older then my 86. It is by far the oldest car anyone in JAPAN uses for mountain racing."

"And... how old is your- this 86?"

"Fifteen years old."

"...and that makes the Capri?"

"Twenty-Three."

"That does not seem so bad."

"Mm."

"..."

"..."

"You think we should head up to Canterlot?"

Luna eyed the time. 4:58AM.

"Why? It is still early."

"I just... I've been wanting to talk to you and Celestia about something."

"What is it?"

"Both of you. At the same time."

"...oh. Well, I am sure my sister can make time during the day. You are a male Alicorn after all."

That was... uncomfortable to hear. "And..." Takumi slowly began as they hit the highway. "...you are emphasizing that I'm male because..?"

Luna giggled. "I am referencing when she first met you. She was extremely interested that you were a male. A bit too interested."

"Oh. Well... I don't know if I should feel uncomfortable or not."

"Heh. I am sure she does not really want to be with you in that way."

"She wants to be with me-... you know what? No. I am not going to talk about that."

Luna just smiled. "How about we burn two more sets of tires, and then go back to Canterlot?"

Takumi sighed. "Yeah, yeah. Alright."

"Mm."


"Are you kidding? Of COURSE I'll help!"

Itsuki slowly woke up from his slumber upon hearing Rainbow Dash's voice. He quickly covered his eyes as the sun hit them.

After a moment, he sat up and saw Rainbow Dash hovering in the air, looking down at Scootaloo.

"Of course! Practically every town in Equestria has one! I still remember racing my cloud cart..."

"What are we talking about?" Itsuki asked.

Scootaloo was surprised. "Woah! Hey Itsuki!"

"Hey Scootaloo."

"I didn't know you were here!"

"He is. We hanged out last night, looking at cars." Dash explained.

"Oh nice. Wait... you... only looked at cars, right?" Her cheeks began to turn pink. "You didn't... um..."

Itsuki could feel the bridge of his nose getting redder with each passing heartbeat. "S-So what were you talking about?"

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that out of you." Dash scolded. "Anyways, Scootaloo just asked if I wanted to help her build a kart for the Applewood Derby. Of COURSE I will."

"The Applewood Derby?"

"Yeah!" Scootaloo beamed. "It's this awesome annual kart race in Ponyville. You get to build your own kart and race the other ponies."

"Sounds fun!"

"Yeah! Wanna help out?"

"Uh, Scoots?" Dash asked. "I don't think two adults are supposed to be helping one filly. Or colt."

"Oh. Right..."

"I'm alright with watching," Itsuki said.

"Oh perfect!" Scootaloo took off out of the house. "Let's get going!"

Itsuki and Dash looked at each other.

"She is one energetic Filly."

"Yeah, she is. That's why she's the best."

"Mm. Anyways, let's get going. This Applewood Derby sounds great."


1:11PM, Canterlot Castle. Takumi's room.

Takumi sat in his room next to the window, eating some Tofu.

EEEEE!

His vision flickered.

vroooOOOOOm- vrooooooOOOOOOOOm-

His vision went from him eating Tofu, to the interior of his 86.

Directly ahead was an orange Nissan S14 Zenki. It was pouring. Water flew through the air as he followed the S14 through several corners, noting the change of sound and pitch his engine had. It was quieter and much less aggressive.

"AHHHHH!"

He heard Itsuki screaming from the back seat as he was thrown around. He didn't flinch. He only focused on the S14 harder as it braked in front, skidding to the outside of the road.

Seeing his chance, Takumi swerved to the inside of the road and immediately passed the S14, seeing the words REDSUNS on its rear quarter panel.

"Wow..." Takumi murmured as the flashback dissipated. "That was... that was only a year ago, but it feels like it's been several..."

He peered out the window, down to where the 86 was parked. It was currently being worked on by some ponies, with all windows being removed.

"I wonder what that feels like... Getting new windows. Is that like getting new glasses?.." He sighed, shaking his head. "I just... to think you and I started our racing career the other summer. We went through all that. We raced an FD, R32, EG6, SilEighty, S14, an FC, the list goes on..."

His heart began to ache. "All for nothing. Now we're in this world where I'm no longer some teen. I'm practically a god. I'm an Alicorn. I'm meant to be some flawless, perfect being, who got here by being worthy of being an Alicorn. That's what I'm meant to be."

A tear formed in his eye. "Yet... I'm not. I don't deserve this. I'm not a perfect being. I'm just some kid who loves racing. I didn't earn being an Alicorn, I just happened to turn into one. Itsuki doesn't deserve to be an Alicorn because HE doesn't even CARE about his family. His friends. Why did I ever become friends with him?"

He finished the tofu and put his paper plate and plastic utensils in a garage can. "Why did we become Alicorns? Why did I become an Alicorn? Itsuki didn't have a legend. He wasn't in Project D. He was on the SpeedStars. I was in Project D, actually going around beating racer after racer on different courses. He just stayed on Akina..."

Piff

He sat down next to his bed. "I don't deserve this. I just don't. I'm a teenager. I had friends, family. People I cared about. What sick bastard thinks I want to be some god? I don't. I... don't... help me..."


"Luna, may I ask you something?"

Luna looked at Celestia as they walked down a hall. "Of course. What is it, sister?"

Celestia sighed. "Don't take this wrongly, I am just curious is all. With all the time you and him have spent together..." She paused. "...Does he know?"

"Know... what?"

"About what you did. About... that."

A bit of pain shot through Luna's heart. "No... no, he does not. I have been thinking about when I should tell him."

"Why have you not done so yet?"

"Because I do not want to earn distrust. You do understand how apprehensive he is about his encounter with Nightmare Moon, correct?"

Celestia nodded.

"I have this feeling that if I tell him, he may... hate me. That he will think I was Nightmare Moon."

"But you were?"

"I mean, the Nightmare Moon that attacked him. On Akina."

"...Oh. Well, maybe it will be best if we break it to him slowly. Perhaps during the pending conversation."

Luna looked at the ground. "Perhaps..."

Celestia sighed. "Slight change of subject, what did you two do last night? I noticed you two did not come back until minutes before you had to lower the moon."

"We drove," Luna answered calmly.

"You drove?"

"He is at his calmest when with his 86."

"Oh. Is he?"

Luna nodded.

"Where did you drive?"

Luna had been expecting this mini-conversation. "Around Equestria, really. We mostly stuck to highways." She wasn't lying about the second bit. They had been on the WTA Access Highway after all.

"So where did you go?"

"If you mean what cities did we pass through, I am sorry to disappoint you. We did not pass through many. We stuck around Ponyville, Sierra Mountain, but did drive east and catch a glimpse of Manehatten."

"You went all the way out to Manehatten?"

Luna nodded.

"Hm."

"We were out for the better part of seven hours."

"Yes, yes you were."

They walked in silence up a flight of stairs and down a moderately lit hallway.

"So this is his room?" Celestia asked as they walked past Luna's room and stopped in front of Takumi's room. Luna nodded.

Knock Knock Knock

No answer.

The sisters looked at each other.

"Takumi is here, right?" Celestia asked.

Luna looked back at the door. "Takumi?" She quietly called out. "It is Luna and Celestia."

After no answer, Luna turned the doorknob, slowly pushing the door open.

"Takumi?"

"Oh! Uh, Luna!" Takumi yelped, turning to look at the sisters who were now peering inside. He quickly rubbed his face. "Uh, hi. You too Princess Celestia."

"You don't have to be so formal," Celestia said as she and Luna walked in, closing the door.

Takumi climbed onto the bed. "So um, what brings you two in here?"

"Luna informed me that you wanted to speak with me."

Takumi looked away. "I did tell her that, didn't I..."

Since the bed was a king, it could fit all three. Luna sat on the bed with Takumi, with Celestia-... almost following suit.

"Something wrong, sister?" Luna asked.

Takumi and Celestia looked at each other. Takumi, feeling nervous, looked away.

Celestia grew worried. The look on Takumi's face was something she had seen countless times before. It was the look of somepony who had just spent several minutes... crying. He had hidden it very well, but she could still see the marks.

"Takumi..." she gently said, sitting next to the bed. "What is wrong?"

"Nothing."

Luna was confused.

"Takumi, I have seen that face countless times before. What is wrong?"

"I'm fine."

"Takumi, please-"

"I said I'm fine."

"Takumi?" Luna asked. "...Is there something wrong?"

"Why are you two getting on my case about stuff that doesn't matter?" Takumi tentatively snapped. "I'm fine."

The sisters looked at each other, unsure of who should say something first.

Luna reached a hoof over and place it on Takumi's shoulder. "Takumi? Is it... about your world?"

She felt Takumi shudder. "I'm f-fine... alright... I don't want to talk about that..."

"Are you sure?"

Takumi nodded. "So... to s-start off... I have a question for both of you."

"Of course. Anything." Celestia gently reassured.

Takumi took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "What is it like... to live a thousand years?"

They knew this question would be asked eventually.

Celestia paused for a moment, choosing her words. "It is certainly an... interesting experience," she began. "It is not something that can so easily be put into words."

She paused, waiting for Takumi to say something.

"I mean... how do you cope with losing everyone you love?" He asked. "Your friends, family, everyone you love dies old, while you remain-... eternally young. Immortality is literally the worst curse you could ever have."

"It is not true immortality we have, Takumi. We do feel pain. I am sure one could kill us if they had the power and means to do so."

"So there have been other Alicorns?"

"Um-... what do you mean?"

"So other Alicorns have existed? They just died because someone killed them?"

There was silence as Celestia thought about it. "At this moment, besides one other known only through ancient paintings, um... no."

"So what you mean to tell me, is that Alicorns have only ever existed for a little over a thousand years? Period?"

"In terms of documented Alicorns, then... yes."

"Great. So you think you can die, even though there hasn't been any- ok, both of you, stop it. Alicorns are Immortal. I don't need you lying to me."

Both Celestia and Luna grew frightened. At that moment in time, there were no documented cases of other Alicorns besides them, Cadance and Twilight and Flurry Heart, and one other known only through ancient depictions and not by name, which by extension meant there was no documentation of an Alicorn dying. Whether it be Age or Injury, or anything else.

There was no evidence pointing towards Alicorns being entirely immortal even to injury, but at the same time, there was no evidence against it either. An Alicorn would have to die to test that, and who in their right mind would kill themselves to prove it, giving up Immortality?

Celestia and Luna shuddered.

Luna broke the silence after a few moments. "I think we are getting off track..."

Takumi sighed. "Why am I even asking about this... you two are a thousand years old yet even you don't know what happens..."

"Because you want to know." Celestia quickly said. "With time, Takumi, you will learn to accept it."

"I'm not a perfect being." Takumi snapped. "I'm not like you. I was forced into this world. You're overestimating me on-..."

"Do you think we did not grieve over our losses?" Luna asked.

Celestia quickly intervened. "Back to the original question..." She eyed Takumi, who stared at the bedsheet, silent.

"Continue..." he mumbled.

Celestia gently nodded. "To live a thousand years is, again, not something that can so easily be put into words. The mortal mind cannot fully grasp it. I have lived through more than several eras and witnessed several events unfold. An industrial revolution, the invention of the automobile, and to keep it close to home for a car pony like you, every era of car up to this point."

"Era of cars?" Takumi asked. He still didn't move.

"Yes. From the early three-wheeled carts to back when ponies were trying to squeeze as much power out of tiny engines as possible. But anyways, to lose somepony to me is like... like... It's like losing a cat. A cat you have spent many years with. One you perhaps inherited from your grandmother who had too many. You often let it sit on your lap or your back as you did something, and took care of it. Since you have owned a few cats before, while you loved your current cat, you cannot help but feel sad when it inevitably passes."

"Do not take our silence after somepony's death as a lack of sorrow." Luna quietly added.

"Hm..." Takumi laid down on his stomach and rested his head on a soft pillow. Wow. Didn't even answer my damn question.

"Anything else?" Celestia asked.

Takumi laid silent for a moment before speaking.

"What's going to happen to my 86?"

"What was that?"

"What is going to happen to my 86?"

"Oh... Well, that depends on a number of factors. To keep driving it, you would simply have to care for it. Maintain it."

"But, the thing is, if I'm really going to live forever, my 86 is just... My 86 is made of metal. Metal degrades."

"Takumi, I do not know if you know this," Luna began. "-but things in Equestria tend to degrade slower than you may think. I am sure your car will live an extremely long life when given the right maintenance."

"My 86 isn't Equestrian." Takumi snapped.

The sisters recoiled. Not because they were surprised, but because that form, that nightmarish form, appeared. It was only for a second, but they could see all the features. The black mist burning off his hair along with red mist burning off his wings, those fiery, spiteful eyes, they could taste the sudden hatred and rancor that had engulfed the young Alicorn for only a second before it disappeared faster than one could flap their wings.

"No... n-no, it isn't... is it..." Luna trailed as she tried to find the words.

"What... was that?" Celestia quietly asked.

"What was what?"

Luna shot Celestia a look, trying to convey that she wanted the Sun Princess to not say anything. Fortunately, Celestia got the hint and stayed quiet.

Takumi sighed when neither answered him. "Not... Equestrian..."

They all stayed silent for what felt like hours, none knowing what to do or say. No birds chirped outside, no clattering of distant dishes being cleaned, no guards walking by the door, it was just them. Total silence.


Itsuki watched Rainbow Dash as she built a kart resembling 1960s Open-Wheel Racers. It was satisfying in a way to see it happen. The way she sawed the block to create the body and installed the 'engine' looked nice.

The 'engine' was actually a battery filled with little 'lightnings'. Those lightnings would electrify the rear axle in a way that made them turn either forward or backward depending on which side the lightnings were directed at. So it was basically an electric engine.

The interesting part was that the 'fuel' would last a very long time, which would make it perfect for commuting for days on end. This would be perfect for commuting long distances over and over, day after day, all that. For frequent commuters. This WOULD BE perfect if this setup didn't severely corrode whatever the axle was after mere hours of use.

So it was relegated to events like the Applewood Derby. The Karts were only used for at most ten minutes, so it was fine.

"Hmph," came a sound next to him.

Itsuki looked next to him to see Scootaloo sitting down on the ground.

"Oh. Hey Scootaloo. How come you haven't been working on your kart?"

Scootaloo sighed. "I've been wanting to work on it, yeah, but Rainbow Dash wants to build it to be the fastest kart in the race."

Itsuki was confused. "Isn't that the point of the race?"

"Well, yeah. For the Fastest Kart Medal. But the medal I want is for Most Creative kart."

"Oh. Huh. Didn't know that. But if it's your kart, why aren't you telling her you don't want to be the fastest?"

"Because-... ugh. Because she knows best I guess."

"What the- hey that doesn't make sense. It's your kart. You should have the final say about it."

Scootaloo looked up at him. "Well how about YOU tell her to stop?"

"I will!"

With that, Itsuki stood up on all fours and walked over to Dash, who was currently installing a wheel on the kart.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash?"

"Hey Itsuki," Dash greeted. "What's up?"

"Scootaloo wants to build the most creative kart. Not the fastest," he bluntly stated.

"Why?" Dash looked at Scootaloo who stood behind Itsuki. "The fastest kart gets the fastest medal!"

"I... want to be the most creative," Scootaloo sheepishly replied.

"Why!? If we build the most creative kart, we won't be the fastest!"

"It's not your kart?" Itsuki reminded.

Dash opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out. After a moment, she began nodding. "You know... you're right..." Her cheeks went red as she looked at Scootaloo. "Uh... sorry kid. I guess I got lost in nostalgia."

"You... kinda did."

Dash looked at the kart, still embarrassed. "But I've already finished this. How the hay are we supposed to finish a kart given we have like ten minutes left?"

"Um..." Scootaloo sighed. "We don't. It's alright. I'll just wait for next year."

"In that case-" Itsuki walked over to the kart. "I'm gonna tighten the bolts on everything. Dash you barely tightened them. Look at the wheel!" He pushed his hooves against a wheel and shook it vigorously.

"Oh sweet Celestia! THAT would have made for a nasty accident!" Dash exclaimed.

"Ya think!?" Itsuki yelled angrily. "If the wheel were to break off, you could overcorrect and flip over! You'd wrap yourself around a truck and get killed INSTANTLY!"

Both pegasi recoiled at Itsuki's anger.

"You... sound like you're speaking from experience..." Dash slowly said.

"Yeah! I hate it when people forget to check something as simple as a SCREW! PEOPLE DIE THAT WAY!!!"

He grabbed a wrench and began torquing down as many bolts as he could find. Dash and Scootaloo silently grabbed their own wrenches and did the same to the other wheels.

Itsuki sighed as he moved to the other wheel on his side. "Sorry. I just... I just hate it when people don't maintain their stuff."

"It's alright," Dash reassured. "Good vehicle maintenance is probably just as important as a Pegasus keeping their wings in shape."

"Probably?" Itsuki asked, eyeing her.

"Just as important! Just as important." She sighed. "Well, Scoots, sorry for not listening to you."

"It's fine. At least you straight-up never acknowledged it," the filly replied.

"Tell you what, I'll let you drive. Alright?"

"The kids are supposed to drive, aren't they?" Itsuki asked.

"Oh yeah." Dash rubbed the back of her head. "Uh, sorry."

"All racers to the starting line!" an upbeat and cheery voice called out via megaphone. "All racers to the starting line!"

"Oh. Huh. Time flew by quick." Itsuki remarked.

"It sure did. Everything looks tight over her, so come on Scootaloo. Let's win first place!" Dash jumped in the backseat of the kart, patting the seat in front of her. Scootaloo smiled and got in, starting the lightning-powered engine.

"Fine. let's go."


"Sorry..." Takumi slowly apologized.

"It is... alright," Luna replied.

"I'm just... dealing with so many things at once is all. I'm apparently some flawless being now, I'm learning to live in a... well I can't say completely different world, but... you know what I mean."

"Takumi, we aren't flawless. Ponies may think that, but we're as much as ponies as anypony else." Celestia reassured.

"Mm... It's just that I don't feel like I deserve to be an Alicorn."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I mean, from what I know, to be an Alicorn means you did something amazing. Something phenomenal for a certain skill... thing. Considering your roles as Princesses, my guess is that you became the first ponies to raise and lower the sun and moon. Cadance is... I don't even know, and Twilight probably did something like befriending a world-threatening monster."

Images of his battle with Nightmare Moon flowed back into his mind, causing him to scowl.

"What did I do? All I did was race and beat Nightmare Moon in a race. Anyone could have done that! AnyPONY from THIS WORLD! It wasn't even my hardest battle on Akina. It's just so... mmmm."

Celestia sighed. "While I don't know if we will ever find out why you and Itsuki became Alicorns, we should accept it. It's not like we have a choice in the matter."

"Mm... Itsuki... you know, Itsuki pisses me off the most. He doesn't even care about his old life. His friends, family, he sure doesn't feel like a best friend."

Neither sister said anything.

Celestia let her eyes wander for a bit before noticing a plate of tofu on it. She used her magic to levitate a piece over to her and began quietly eating it. She was a little surprised. Tofu, normally, wasn't bad, but to her, it wasn't good either. This Tofu was actually kind of nice.

"What was that just earlier... about another Alicorn? Known through ancient depictions I think is what you said?"

"It's just that," Celestia said after swallowing. "Only known through ancient depictions have we seen it. All we know is that the Alicorn was female, was white, and had red hair."

"Ok well, what went wrong with her?"

"We do not know whether or not she was real," Luna explained. "We do not even know her name."

"Greeeaat..."

More silence. The conversation was dragging on, with nopony knowing what to say.

"At least I'll get to own my 86 for all eternity..."

The sisters looked at him with wonder.

"What do you mean?" Luna asked.

"I mean..." He sighed. "I've always wondered what would happen to my 86 after I'm gone. I mean, I am going to keep it till the day I die, so that would be like fifty-sixty years. Longer if I'm lucky. When I die, who would want anything to do with what would then be a 60-year-old hatchback? Would it go to some collection? Would it just sit somewhere for years on end before being crushed?"

Luna nodded. "I see where you are getting at. I have always found that to be a rather dark and morbid part of car culture, or cars in general. You could only care about a car for at most eighty years or, if you are lucky, even ninety years. You thoroughly maintain it, even keep it in pristine and stock condition. But when you pass, you never get to see what happens to the car afterward. Who is to say the next owner doesn't destroy it or heavily modify it?"

"Yeah. That is the problem." Takumi agreed. "You never know what will happen. But yeah, I've always wondered what would happen to my car after I was gone."

Celestia opened her mouth to say something.

"Of course, that was BEFORE I suddenly became immortal," Takumi added.

Everypony giggled a little.

"Yes, now you can forever maintain ownership of your 'Eight-Six'." Celestia agreed.

"Yeah. I know... that's good... You know, for peop- ponies like you, you're a lot different from what I imagined."

"How so?"

"From the shows and movies I've seen in my world, we call them anime's, old rulers were always super serious and usually demanded utmost respect from everyone that talked to them. For you two being over a thousand years old, you are... heh, pretty playful."

The sisters blushed. "Well, just because I am a thousand years old, cannot mean I can't have some fun." Celestia cheerfully said. "Plus, It's always nice when something unexpected happens."

"Hm. I guess... that's another thing. After a thousand years, you've probably done everything you'd ever want to do. It'll get so boring."

"Mm... well, in recent years, plenty of interesting things have happened. In fact, if you had shown up one year ago, you would have had quite a more interesting time."

"Ok, I would prefer this kind of 'introduction' to this world to anything else."

"Hm... Well, this doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Is it alright if I ask you a few questions?"

Takumi thought about it for a few seconds before shrugging. "Shoot."

Celestia sighed. "It's about your... street racing."

Takumi didn't need to look to know that Luna had just been consumed by dread. He felt nothing. "What about it?"

"I have nothing against you street racing in your world. But in this world, it's just that... I don't want you doing it is all."

"Why?"

"I am concerned for your well-being is all. If you were to crash, well..."

"Sister, you, me, and the others have seen Takumi's skills behind the wheel." Luna defended. "I can tell you from experience that he is a very good, and very smooth driver."

Celestia eyed Luna. "Do you support his actions?"

"I do not support nor oppose his actions."

Wow, that is one helluva lie. Takumi thought.

"Hm. But you do understand where I am getting at, right?"

"Of course."

"Celestia, I'll be fine," Takumi reassured. "I've never had a crash in my life."

"I know. It's just..."

Takumi sat up and looked at her. "I know where you're getting at. You don't know me and I'm, again, some super important being, but trust me. I'll be fine."

"I'm sure you will be. But what if ponies find out that an Alicorn, a being they hold on the highest pedestal of any other being, doing something as deplorable as Street Racing?"

"DEPLORABLE!?"

Takumi nearly jumped off the bed the moment Luna yelled. The night princess gasped. "Um, I mean, deplorable?" She quietly asked. "What about organized Street Racing is deplorable?"

Takumi put a hoof to his chest. "My freaking nerves are shot..."

"S-Sorry..." Luna apologized.

"Not... 'deplorable'. It's just, no offense Takumi, but ponies don't see Street Racing in the best light."

"Same for my world." Takumi laid back down, feeling sad.

"Takumi... is..." Celestia moved closer to the bed. "I just don't want to see you hurt. Mountain racing is especially dangerous."

"I don't see the problem... listen, just... actually, just go away, alright? I don't even know why we're talking about this. You two probably have Royal Duties or something."

"Wait, what?"

"Just don't worry about me." His tone grew aggressive. "I'm apparently just some ungrateful brat that lacks the ability to accept the fact t-that I'm a f-freaking god."

Pain once again wrought its way through the sisters' veins. Takumi was hurting himself, mentally. He was letting dark thoughts into his mind. Whether he knew it or not they didn't know, but they were leaning towards him not knowing.


They looked at each other, wondering what to do. What in the world was wrong with this kid?