• Published 6th Jul 2021
  • 574 Views, 12 Comments

Branching Paths - TCC56



Life is like a tree: growing, stretching many directions. But the trunk remains the solid center it builds from. A branch may reach the sky, but stays anchored to and part of the tree. Twilight Sparkle isn't the only one to grow into a new role.

  • ...
1
 12
 574

B L U E

"Rainbow Redacted Dash," Spitfire recited from the file open on her desk.

Dash's expression immediately changed from her standard egocentric confidence to one of confusion. "Wait, my middle name's not Redacted." She craned her neck from where she stood, breaking her standing at attention to try and look at the file.

Tongue firmly in cheek, Spitfire tried to still play it straight and failed enough for a smirk to slip through. "You've told me so many versions of your middle name that I assumed it was a cover story. I had the name classified a few years ago. Captain and above only."

It took several seconds of mulling that over for Rainbow to come up with a response. "...Really?"

"No not really you idiot." Spitfire rolled her eyes. "You're so amazingly gullible, Crash."

Rainbow Dash glared petulantly at Spitfire, face screwed up in a borderline adorable pout.

"If you weren't so damn important to this team, I'd ask how you manage to survive getting out of bed every morning. Fortunately," Spitfire drawled, "You are important so I don't care. Just that you do and that you get to shows on time."

Dash snorted. "Gee, thanks boss. I can really feel the love here."

Spitfire slid her sunglasses down a hair and glowered at Dash over them. "Did I ask for your sarcasm, Crash?"

Rainbow's back instantly went straight. "No, m'am!"

The sunglasses slid back up.

Several seconds passed before Dash relaxed again. "So, uh, you wanted to see me for something? Other than my middle name?"

"What, I can't just have a chat?" Spitfire smirked, holding up the pretense for just a few moments more before letting her expression fall serious again. "Sit. We've got important issues to discuss."

Dash's carefree attitude evaporated as Spitfire went to business. She planted herself in the chair on the opposite side of the Captain's desk, back straight and gaze steely. "Yes m'am."

Quietly, Spitfire chuckled. "It's amazing how you've actually learned how to be serious. When we first met, I never thought you'd be able to buckle down." But she set that aside quickly. "What I'm about to tell you is top secret, Crash. It never leaves this room - nopony hears about it, ever. Not your family, not your friends, not even the Princess."

Rainbow Dash frowned sharply. "Not even the Princess, m'am?"

"Didn't I just say that?" Spitfire snorted. "Yes, not even her. This is above her clearance. And before you say it, yes, I know what I'm saying."

Dash swallowed roughly. "That big, huh." And then she steeled herself again, giving a firm nod. "I understand, m'am. Whatever the mission is, I'll do it. You can count on me."

"Good." Spitfire closed her eyes and took a long, deep breath to steady herself before saying it. "I'm proud of you, Rainbow Dash."

The office was silent enough to hear a pinfeather drop.

"Uh…" Dash's brow wrinkled. "M'am, not that I don't totally appreciate it but--"

Spitfire cut her off. "This isn't about your flying. Sure, you're the best flier Equestria's seen since Hurricane but that's not what makes a Wonderbolt. Talent is what makes you a racer or a stunt flier. A Wonderbolt has to be more. And not only have you lived up to that, but you've also showed the rest of us what that more is on multiple occasions when we've lost our way. A teammate needs help, and you're there. We announce a charity event, and you're there. Equestria goes into crisis and when we arrive on scene you've been there for twenty minutes, already sporting bruises from saving the world." She pushed the folder across the desk at Rainbow. "When I met you, you were a self-righteous punk who was blinded by her own ego, cared more about winning than anything else and spend more time napping than an elderly dragon." Spitfire sneered. "And then you turned into possibly the best pony I've ever met and made me re-think everything."

Dash still kept frowning. "I'm… not sure that really is a compliment, boss."

"What I mean is that this is like Rainbow Falls. I made a call and it was a bad one." Spitfire shook her head. "I screwed up again when I brought you on board and trusted Lightning Dust over you. In each case, I underestimated your character and what our values should be. You've shown me time and time again how wrong I was - that you're dedicated, that your heart's in the right place and that you've got a moral compass that guides you better than the rest of us." She reached into a drawer, pulling out a thin black case and sliding it across the desk.

Still confused, Dash popped the case open - inside was a silver lightning bolt as well as a pair of gold and blue epaulettes. "Uh--"

She was interrupted again. "That's why you're vice-captain now."

Rainbow Dash startled, blinking at the case. "Uuuuh…"

"I know, I know." Spitfire waved her hoof to dismiss the concern she was expecting. "I made it a rank. Look, Crash. I've been Captain for six years now and a Wonderbolt for fourteen and a half. I'm not getting younger. It's about my time, so I want to make the transition smooth."

It hit Dash like one of Applejack's bucks. "Tr-transition. To…"

"To you," Spitfire completed. "Yeah. I'm retiring from active duty on my anniversary, which means you'll be captain." She reached over, tapping the folder with her hoof. "In here's the training schedule to get you up to speed. We've got five months to fill in your blanks and I expect you to be glued to my hip the whole time. Is that understood?"

"Yes?" A glare from Spitfire cut past Dash's still reeling mind and her instincts kicked in. "Yes m'am!"

"Good. I'd threaten you and say not to let me down, but let's face it Crash. I wouldn't be putting this on you if I thought you could let me down." Spitfire cracked a grin. "So congratulations. Captain."

And then it was Rainbow Dash's turn to smile wider and wider. "Thank you. M'am."

Author's Note:

This one was honestly the least interesting - I mean, it's basically been accepted since S6 that Dash was gonna be Captain eventually.