• Published 24th May 2021
  • 166 Views, 0 Comments

Scaled and Icy - Dashie04



Trench is up-and-running again, but Ocin and his bishops are still on the loose, and they’re devising plans to get rid of Pracey once and for all.

  • ...
 0
 166

Shy Away

“Why haven’t you killed me yet?”

“We don’t want you coming back. We’d rather you do it with your own hooves. Lema follows a very strict adherence to the idea that killing yourself is the only way to truly die. Luna says it.”

“When did she ever say that?”

“Since I did. Now, where is he?”

“I don’t know.”

“We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Where is he?”

“I swear to Luna, I don’t know.”

“Take her back to the cell. She’s useless. We’ll find him ourself. If worst comes to worst, we’ll wring it out of her. Off, my bishops, find his whereabouts.”


I awoke with a start. I vaguely recalled writing up some plans to invade Lema, and I groped around my little straw bed until I found out that, yes, I wrote the plans out.

However, there was nothing on them on how I’d get into Lema, just what I’d do when I got there. Hacking the broadcasts would be hard, but I’m sure I could find somebody. I felt like Solarius might be able to help, and Pebble was generally intelligent. However, I wanted to make sure the plan was ready, I wouldn’t want to change it a dozen times on the fly.

I walked out to find Trench about and bustling. All the batponies were talking with each other, a few were eating the rations, there wasn’t a lot of food to go around, but I tried to give enough to everypony. It was always nice to see these moments in the morning before everypony went out and did their own business.

“Enjoying the ponies talking with each other? I love seeing it too!” I heard a rather high voice say.

I turned around to see Pebble right beside me, looking adorable and excited as usual.

“Are Cold Fire and Iron Hide leaving you out again?” I asked.

“Well, yes,” Pebble affirmed,”but you also seem like you're so lonely on your own.”

“You shouldn’t need to worry about me, I have my own things to attend to.”

“What are they?” Pebble inquired.

“Well, I’m trying to get into Lema and save the city from Ocin and his nine bishops.”

“What’s Lema?”

“Well, it’s a domed city where freedom is greatly limited and nopony can ever leave.”

“They sound evil. We should get them. I’ll come with you!” Pebble exclaimed.

“Hey, I’m still trying to work out the details,” I responded. “Lema isn’t a very nice place and I can’t just waltz in and expect to save everypony.”

Pebble nodded. “Are we going on food patrol today?”

“Not today, I don’t think so. I was going to send the other group. I’ll talk to Solarius about that.”

After I noticed Pebble getting visibly downcast, I felt so bad for the mare. “I’ll put you on Night watch if that makes you feel better.”

The grey mare perked up instantly. “Thank you, Prancey! I just want to do all I can for you and to help Trench!”

She jumped on me and gave me a very big hug, which I could only return. “Look, I’m not anything compared to Wingless, I don’t know why you like me so much. Wingless did a much better job.”

“Stop comparing yourself to Wingless, Prancey. You’re an amazing leader, you don’t need modesty.” Pebble said.

As she ran off, I watched the morning crowd of ponies disperse, a few of them were still discussing things with each other, but most of them were trotting away. Pebble seemed to really like me, as did Solarius. Maybe the Lema invasion could wait a little longer. I should be a good leader and stay in Trench until I let everypony know that I’d be leaving. I wouldn’t want nobody to hear my last monologue to myself.

I saw Solarius approaching me. His wings were out and he was trotting slowly toward me.

“Hello, Prancey, who’s on food patrol today?” he asked.

“I was going to send the second group today, and put Pebble on Night watch,” I responded.

“Pebble? Prancey, you’re choosing some unusual guarding choices, as usual. However, I trust you to pick the right guards. Moondancer does fine, so Pebble should do fine, too. Though may I remind you that she hasn’t guarded before?”

“Cool down, Solarius, she wanted to, and I trust her,” I told the batpony in question.

“I trust you, but still. Pebble’s very energetic and she’ll probably wear herself out and fall asleep.”

“Don’t shy away from the decision, Solarius,” I said.

After a brisk nod, Solarius started trotting off. I hope I didn’t screw up by picking Pebble. I could only hope.


Good Day Lema! As you may know, our broadcast was interrupted earlier by an unknown assailant, one of those so called ‘rebels’. We apologize for the interruption, and We’ll try and keep it under control from now on. The ‘rebel’ has indeed been compromised, and we tightened security. Any more interruptions will be dealt with.

As you can see from the events transpiring, we’re trying to keep you safe. Lema is not falling anytime soon. We are vialists, and we are Luna’s, together, we stand.

...

Run! Don’t you—

Shh. Stop, rebel.