• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 1,445 Views, 14 Comments

Snapshots - Shingo

  • ...
0
 14
 1,445

Occam's Razor

In every civilization, there are three words that can carry the weight of the universe. Three words that can be used in very different ways but all carry a significant amount of weight. It was these three words that a certain purple unicorn had trouble saying. She sat in front of a chalkboard with the words written on it. Around it was a cloud with various chalk lines moving away from the cloud. At the end of each line was a word. The purple unicorn flipped the board over and started writing.

“I can’t be direct,” she muttered. A piece of chalk was moving along the board as she spoke. “I can’t even get a coherent sentence out while being around her.” The unicorn was so busy in her musings that she didn’t hear the library’s door open.

“I could put on a performance, I’m pretty sure she’d appreciate that,” silent steps approached the unicorn. “But that takes a lot of planning.”

“I could create a romantic sonnet,” the steps became louder. “That always works in romance books. Then again, life doesn’t imitate art. And art doesn't imitate life.”

“Even if I do find a way to say it,” the only sound that occupied the unicorn was the sound of her chalk moving. The library’s guest sat behind her. “I don’t know how she’ll react to it. I have to plan for rejection, for acceptance. And what to do if she does reciprocate my feelings.”

“Hi, Twilight,” a cheery voice said. The unicorn’s piece of chalk snapped as it reached the bottom corner of the board. “What are you writing?” Twilight looked up at the board. The phrase ‘I love you’ had been written over and over again as if she was forced to write it out as a punishment. The phrase filled the entire chalkboard. Twilight turned to her guest.

“Pinkie!” she screamed. Her head turned to the board. A faint blush appeared on her face as she flipped the board around. “It’s nothing. Just a thing I had to get out of my head. What are you doing here?”

“Spike told me something,” she answered. Pinkie tapped her chin in concentration. “I think he said that you had something to tell me. Something that would change the way we look at each other.” Twilight’s eyes widened.

“I don’t have anything to tell you!” sweat began falling from her head. “I mean, nothing that world changing.” Note to self: punish Spike. The pony in front of her giggled. The sound immediately calmed Twilight. A small smile formed on her face.

“Then what’s that?” Pinkie asked. A hoof pointed to the board. Twilight turned her head and turned beat red when she saw what was written on it. At the top of the board was a title that read: ‘Confessing to Pinkie’. Below the title was the words ‘I love you’ inside of a cloud with different methods of telling Pinkie the same message.

“Pinkie, this isn’t what it looks like,” Twilight stammered. “This is… um… this is something that I’m working on for…”

“Can I ask you something?” the pink pony asked.

“See, this is all part of a story that I’m writing,” Twilight continued. “All of it revolves around a romance between two star crossed lovers who….”

“Would you like to join me for dinner?” Pinkie asked.

“And at the end, they love each other so much that they decide to,” Twilight stopped for a moment. She turned to her guest. A caring smile was on her face. Twilight blinked. “Can you run that by me again?”

“Would you like to join me for dinner?” Twilight’s jaw decided to unhinge itself. Pinkie walked to the board. Her smile remained on her face as she touched it.

“You’re over thinking,” she said. “Matters of the heart are complex, yet simple at the same time. Most ponies get lost on the complexity. They always forget that the simplest answer usually unravels all of the emotional entanglements. Dancing around the point doesn’t get anypony anywhere. Not unless the dance is part of the message anyways.” She walked to Twilight and reattached her jaw.

“I know you’re a rational pony,” one of Pinkie’s hooves was still underneath Twilight’s chin. Her face had regained the majority of its colour. Two rosy patches remained. “And simplification is the first step towards rational thinking. That being said, the offer is still available.”

“YES!” Twilight screamed. She put a foreleg over her mouth. The blush still remained on her face as she coughed into her hoof. “I mean, yes. Yes I would like to join you, Pinkie.”

“Great,” Pinkie turned to the entrance way. “Come on, Horte owes me a favour. So I have permanent reservations at his restaurant.” Twilight followed the pink pony out of her home. A small grin was on her face. Note to self: give Spike a BIG reward.