• Published 14th Apr 2021
  • 171 Views, 4 Comments

My lying pages. (Anthology Speed-writing!) - PacifistDoodl3r

  • ...
 4
 171

2 Hospital visit during sunset. |April 14.2021|

Wallflower Blush slowly walked down the bright corridor with busy doctors and nurses trying to step around her. She focused on the doors, trying to look for a certain name. The room number was 102. That's what the woman at the reception desk told her. She waited a while to visit at the lobby; those six friends of hers took turns and patiently sat for their time to be up.

They only allowed a few visitors at a time. Wallflower waved to them but she got little to no recognition. Not even the energetic pink haired friend greeted her; feeling ignored is one of the worst feelings ever. Wallflower had to get used to being invisible to everyone- but as long as someone else was noticed, it made her feel happy. She thought about what she'd say to her friend, it's been a very long time since they spoke. It's been over seven months, sure. The last time they saw each other they were still in high school but now that chapter of their life has ended.

Her fear was moving apart from her friend. After all, it had been a long time... maybe she should end their friendship right here and now. Though, it may bring some unnecessary pain. She'd understand, right? People move on, it happens... but Wallflower couldn't stop thinking about those who still manage to maintain their friendships over long distances. Why was this any different?

Even more thoughts began to move like gears in her head. They were cogs that slowly came to the realization; there's no use in saying a long distance relationship would work out if Wallflower herself isn't up to it. This made up her mind. Life already gave her enough stuff to deal with, maybe checking up on someone every now and then was too much. The green haired young woman frowned. It's easier said than done. Eventually, Wallflower met her eyes with the number 102 on the blue metal door. The blurry window barely shown a curtain and the bright sun beam that twinkled off of the window. Her eyes darted at the white board across the door’s exterior that read,

SHIMMER

A heavy knot squeezed inside her chest over this decision. Wallflower took deep breaths and briefly closed her eyes. And held her lower stomach.

In through her nose.

Out through her mouth.

She repeated this a few times until giving out a long sigh before taking out the visitor card. Her hand trembled and reluctantly swiped across the scanner. A faint *beep* clicked the door open and she stepped inside of the room. Wallflower anxiously closed the door, thinking the noise would wake up her friend.

The room looked like a standard hospital room. It had dark blue walls and a huge window that looked down at the bustling city below. The floor was hard, and light brown- made with an unknown material. Blue chairs were placed next to the table and a small comfort chair was dormant underneath the flat screen TV above it. Wallflower was hesitant to look at her friend’s direction. Leading up to it were many presents from those who had visited previously. It made her feel bad for not bringing anything.

Then, Wallflower took a few steps towards the bed where her friend slept and a faint murmur was heard,

“W-who’s... there?” The voice was hoarse but soft. Audibly painful.

Wallflower began to tear up and saw her hurt friend, covering her mouth from shock at the sight.

There were IV bags and tubes attached to her friend’s arms. The one with blood made Wallflower wince, but she quickly retuned her gaze. Presents and gifts were around the head of the bed, and some balloons were too.

Wallflower swallowed as she struggled to say something, “I- I'm... sorry. Sunset, do you recognize me? I'm...”

“Wallflower?” Sunset turned her head, but her eyes still appeared to be closed.

Wallflower took the time to look at Sunset’s terrible condition. Her forehead was covered in a white bandage that wrapped around, and she heard how terrible Sunset’s breathing sounded. She was in a light blue gown and Wallflower didn't notice Sunset’s eye now being opened while the other was swollen and sealed.

Wallflower approached the bed and held Sunset’s hand, “What- happened?” Her voiced cracked. She barely managed to hold in heavy sobs.

“Accident... I... I feel tired. Get comfortable if... you want?” Sunset shut her eye and her grip from the hand holding loosened. Breathing slowed, and the sound of the AC overtook the atmosphere.

She found a chair to sit in and quickly wiped away her fresh tears. There she sat, for a few minutes before turning back to her sleeping friend.

“Hey, Sunset?” She asked, knowing there'd be no answer, “I know I've moved out of town and we grew distant but- can we still be friends afterwards? That is- if we were to begin with.” Wallflower fidgeted her fingers, then put her hands inside the warm pockets of her jacket.

“It's been a long time, I know, but maybe we can make this work? Calling one another every now and then? Does that sound okay?” She gave a shy smile after saying that, and then walked over to Sunset’s gifts after getting up. Someone brought flowers, books to read, a jar of... sauce? A new dress that was completely black except for having a symbol of sorts near the hips that looked like the sun. Somebody’s gift to her was a DVD film-

Daring Do: The complete collection? Weird...’, Wallflower thought. She wasn't a big fan of action and mystery films.

Wallflower noticed there was another gift that was wrapped in pink paper, with a matching bow. She shrugged it off and leaned over the foot of the bed; hands on the plastic rim.

“I wish I would've gave you something,” she shook her head and stared out the window, “maybe I would've got you... a goodbye letter? No. You already look and feel horrible- that would add insult to injury... quite literally.”

I don't know what happened to you... you said something about an accident? Motorcycle accident?” Wallflower looked back at her resting friend, as if waiting for a response, “Most likely. I'm so sorry this happened to you, I hope you get well soon.” She patted the bed, making sure to avoid Sunset’s foot, and began to head out. Only stopping at the door.

“-But I want to tell you something... I just don't know if I can. Every time I try to say something I try to get the courage to say I talk fast and when I do it's hard for anyone to understand what I'm saying and I fumble over my words and I feel a very nervous and tense trying to say what I wanted to... say.” She turned around, slowly walking back to the chair and settled down in it.

“Sunset- I... I was going to ask... no... I planned to tell you? No... I've been meaning to inform you- what am I? Fancy?” She took a deep breath before explaining, “I think it would be best for us to part ways. Weird, right? Come to think of it, we hardly even know each other. Remember that one time I took away the good memories from your friends and they remembered you as the power hungry meanie that took over the entire school?”

“One of the few moments we shared together was of us fixing that. Yeah, I sometimes stopped by to say hi every now and then but that didn't feel right. I felt as if we weren't being friends- but we were friends! I'm probably not making any sense to you... am I? Why am I even talking to you while you're asleep? I guess... maybe it's easier like this. I feel better being the only one here crying.” As if on que, the wet liquid from her tear ducts started to flow down and along her cheeks. She tried to smile but it struggled to stay up and faltered once her body began to shiver.

“I can't believe I used something tragic as an excuse to come and visit you. I barely know you and now that I'm leaving for good and may never see you again... it's like... I've known you my whole life and we may never see each other again. You see, I'm going to college... and I may be pregnant. Starting a new life... woo.”

“You'd probably say, ‘Who is this mystery man?’ And then I'd retort, wouldn't YOU like to know’. As if we'd been... friends our whole life. I met new people and I am currently dating him. Silly me. I don't start relationships because I'm ready... I find someone to feel loved from because I'm alone.” Wallflower leaned against the table and put her hand to her temple.

“And what have you've been up to? Besides getting into accidents? Probably... probably something far more interesting than me. You're an element of harmony or whatever you guys refer to yourselves. Saving the day from whatever threat comes your way! I wish I had that life. And that whole yearbook incident... stems from my jealousy. Even after school and all this time- I'm still jealous of you.”

“Your ability to see someone's past and empathize with them... it actually hurts when you touch people. Well, I can speak for myself- because not only did it feel like an electric shock- it felt like a wave of my burdens left me- I knew you were going to understand what I've gone through and... having someone tell me it's going to be okay... means everything to me. I should be bawling my eyes out right now but I think I feel better.”

Wallflower got up from the chair and walked over to Sunset. Placing a hand on her shoulder.

“Some friends are here for a reason, and some are here for a season. You're lucky to meet six amazing people who will be in your life forever. I'm not great on the advice or inspirational quote thing but... I felt like you needed to hear that.”

Wallflower gingerly took her hand off of Sunset and headed towards the exit. With the orange sky behind her as she knew her visit time was over. Before heading out the door, she took one long lasting look at her former friend.

“Goodbye, Sunset Shimmer.”

And then proceeded to exit the room, and out of her life.

Author's Note:

Everyone was doing this contest for shipping Wallflower and Sunset... I was going to write a story but

A) I can't do love stories
and
B) I just now found out about this while the deadline was a day away.

This sort of counts? This is to pay homage to the contest I suppose. Enjoy.