• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 1,188 Views, 66 Comments

Flying With the Dusty Bolts - Pony Bones



Apaloosa's premier flight exhibition and weather Pegasus team

  • ...
 66
 1,188

Down in a Blaze of Glory

Filly the Kid had worked herself into a frenzy whipping the horseshoes into shape, what frustrated her most was their lack of guts to challenge themselves. She scowled at them from behind her Rainbow Bans, “This is disappointing, I thought you all came here for a Dusty Bolts screening. Maybe you got lost on the way because I don’t see anypony here that wants this bandana; GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR FLANKS!”

“YES BOSS!” the candidates that were left shouted in unison, they looked like Tartarus and it had only been four hours

Kid sighed and rubbed her forehead, “Ok I’m going to make this really simple for you, it’s not going to get any easier, you want this bandana then come get it, Molon Labe!” She hoped the ancient pegasus challenge from the Battle of Thermopony Pass would help them get the lead out

The formation of candidates just stared at her, an evil smile crossed her face as she let out a blood chilling laugh, “You can end this all now, or if you want we can do some more touch and go drills!”

“NO BOSS!” they begged pathetically, what were they looking at? Ok, one of the candidates was unaccounted for.

Kid’s wing jerked reflexively and she heard a grunt of pain, looking down beside her she saw a shifty looking pegasus, High Roller if she remembered correctly. She watched him roll around in agony and shrugged, at least he had the guts to try and if his wing mates had helped him he might have gotten the bandana.

High Roller was a long way from being a Dusty Bolt but he had taken his first step, “Get back with the other candidates High Roller, I’ll be watching you. In fact I think I’ll make you class captain.”

High Roller groaned and limped back to the formation of candidates, “Yes boss, buck you boss, something!”

“YES BOSS!” High Roller shouted glaring at the Cloud Coliseum bleachers,

Kid got in High Roller’s face, “That’s more like it, you’re looking froggy, you look like you want to give those bleachers a piece of your mind.”

“YES BOSS!”

“Tell you what, why don’t you lead the class on bleacher drills, if you can keep them together and run not fly then you can go to lunch.”

That put a fire in his flank, “YOU HEARD THE BOSS ATTACK THOSE BLEACHERS!” and the class galloped screaming for the bleachers

Tumble Weed landed beside Kid laughing, “Heh heh, you really put the fear of Celestia in them I didn’t think they’d take you seriously.”

“They learn quickly.” Kid said laughing with Tumble Weed,

“Are you sure about that?” Tumble Weed said pointing out some of the candidates, who had decided to take the easy route and glide down the steps,

A scowl quickly returned to Kid’s face, “Come on High Roller keep them in line.” Kid breathed a sigh when she saw High Roller tackle one of the offenders back to the stairs which quickly grounded the rest of the slackers. “I told you they learn quickly.”

Tumble Weed smiled arrogantly, “Impressive, you should have put money on it.”

“I’m not that confident in them yet.”

“Then it wouldn’t be a gamble young Dusty.” Tumble Weed said patting her on the head,

Kid just scowled, Tumble Weed was bewildered Kid always had something derisive to say, “Are you alright Kid?”

“Sure, can you have Sand Blast or Silver take over after lunch? I need some time to myself.”

“No problem, that’s part of why we’re here, Take as much time as you need.” Tumble Weed watched the candidates in silence for a minute, “You made a good choice making High Roller the class Captain.”

“I know.” Kid said detachedly

Tumble Weed wasn’t getting through to Kid so he decided to buck below the barrel just to make sure she wouldn’t do anything she’d regret. “Have you seen the way High Roller looks at you?”

Kid said nothing just clenched her jaw, Tumble Weed was treading on thin clouds, “Do you think he was just trying to end the touch and go drills when he tried to sneak your bandana?”

Kid smacked Tumble Weed under the chin with her wing and flew off leaving him face down on the clouds, “Buck you Tumble Weed.”

Tumble Weed had hit too close to home on that last one, the candidates had finished with their bleacher drills and circled around him, picking himself off the clouds he addressed the candidates as if nothing was wrong, “Alright you have half an hour to yourselves for lunch, get out of here.”

The candidates split without another word eager to get away from the source of their pain, Tumble Weed shook his head, what was wrong with Kid?

“Hey boss?” came a mare’s voice from Tumble Weed’s blindside,

“What do you want candidate?” Turning to see who it was Tumble Weed was surprised to see Starburst,

“Are you alright? You took quite a hit.”

Tumble Weed was shocked that one of these horseshoes would actually care about his wellbeing, “I’ll be fine, I’m more worried about Kid.”

“You’re bleeding.” She said holding a hoof up to his face, Tumble Weed instinctively jerked back.

Wiping his cannon across his muzzle he pulled it away red, “I guess I am, you’re not a vampony are you?”

Starburst giggled stupidly, “No boss.”

“Then I suggest you go get some food or you won’t survive the afternoon.”

“Alright, you should get your lip looked at.”

Hmm, Tumble Weed would have to check with Kid to find out if Starburst could hack it or if she was just sucking up. His first impression was the Dusty Bolts could use pegasi like her and High Roller, Tartarus, High Roller was like a young Mirage. That was a scary thought, and if Starburst was legit she would be Silver’s replacement. Well now that she had sky lined herself Tumble Weed would have Silver work her harder find out how much she could handle. If she really cared about ponies like she just showed then surely looking after the candidates would be second nature for her, time would tell.

Kid didn’t exactly know why she was hiding in an alley across from St. Hurricanes, but then again she did, “I should have apologized to Tumble Weed, he didn’t do anything for me to hit him. Damn it, I can’t do anything right! I thought coming here to make things right would make me feel better, but I’m still the same filly I was back then!”

Pacing and hyperventilating she gritted her teeth and braced for what she had prepared to do, “Well I won’t be able to set things straight standing here.” She started cantering towards the alabaster steps and pillars with the statue of Commander Hurricane carrying a colt in the crook of her cannon. It looked more forbidding than the sandstorm that had killed Crazy Wing.

Reaching into her saddlebag she brought out the bag of bits she had saved for this occasion, without hesitation she opened the door and plunged in. Approaching the empty reception desk she made her way around groups of passing fillies and colts, had she grown that much since she had last been here? She stood at least a hand and a half taller than all of them, looking around for one of the teachers she spotted Somber Feather the kind old janitor as usual in his blue jumpsuit trash bags hanging out of his back pocket and a bottle of cleaner holstered on his belt as he swept his way down the hall just the way she remembered.

Somber Feather would be a good place to start, “Excuse me.”

Somber Feather looked up from his sweeping but Kid was disappointed to see no recognition in his eyes, “Yes little mare what can I do for you?”

“I’m here to see the head mistress, sir.”

Somber Feather’s brow furrowed as if he were trying to remember something important he looked Kid directly in the eyes, “Have I met you before?”

Kid smirked and replied, “Hay janitor you missed a spot!”

The light went on in Somber Feather’s eyes and a big smile crossed his face, “Filly the Kid, I thought I’d never see you again! When you left we thought you had died!” Looking at her bandana and goggles he commented, “Well look at you, already on a weather team, the Dusty Bolts no less, I tell you what, your team is making quite a few waves around these parts.”

Kid chuckled and replied, “We can’t make waves in clouds.”

Somber Feather laughed along with Kid, “You always were a smart flank Kid, it’s good to see you again. Hmm, I suppose since you’re a grown mare you can just head up and speak to the head mistress directly.”

Kid’s heart skipped, Somber Feather had just called her a grown mare, she wasn’t a filly anymore she could take care of herself, he trusted her! Also going straight to the head mistress’ office as one of the students was unheard of and she still felt apprehensive about trotting straight in like she owned the place but if Somber Feather said it would be alright then it would be. “Thank you sir.” Kid said respectfully.

“Don’t mention it.” Somber Feather turned back to his sweeping, whatever the orphanage paid him it wasn’t nearly enough Kid thought trotting in the direction of the head mistresses office catching strange looks from the young fillies and colts.

The head mistress’ office was at the end of an imposing and empty hallway on the top floor of the school section of the orphanage, Kid didn’t even know the mare’s name the students always addressed her as, “head mistress” or “ma’am.” She was considering going back and asking Somber Feather to escort her but then she remembered she couldn’t continue to rely on other ponies especially now she was a grown mare, so taking a few deep breaths and checking to make sure the bits were still in her hoof she approached the door and knocked.

“Enter!” Came the curt voice, Kid silently opened the door and slunk into the office, her eyes had to adjust to the sudden dimness in the room after the plain white halls with a painting every few feet the office was a stark contrast of colors with a wall of books behind a desk with a lamp and small die cast models of Equestrian Guard in full armor. The statues had more personality than the actual guard Kid thought, anything to keep her mind off how nervous she actually was.

“What do you want?” the head mistress asked impatiently, not even looking up from the paperwork she was shuffling through.

Gathering her thoughts Kid replied, “Well ma’am I used to be a student here… I, I just wanted to return… I’m returning some bits I stole when I ran away!”

That got the head mistress’ attention she put down her papers and glared at Kid over her glasses, “Well you couldn’t have been one of our students, we hold them to a higher standard than petty thievery. In fact the last filly that stole from this school and ran away didn’t survive, we had to come up with a reason why she wasn’t in class for the rest of the year.”

That hurt Kid, especially after what Somber Feather had said but it didn’t matter anymore, Kid had done what she came to do there was no reason to stick around especially with this type of reception. Pegasi like the head mistress were the very reason Kid left in the first place, tossing the bits on the desk Kid spat bitterly, “Here are the bits, have a nice life… couhgwhorse.”

The head mistress’ wings shot up in aggravation and Kid saw her reaching for the ruler she had enjoyed using so much when Kid was still a student, “What did you say young mare?”

Wrong choice of words time to make a quick exit, all that training with the Dusty Bolts had really paid off, nopony would be able to catch her. “I’ll call the guard on you!” the head mistress shouted after Kid.

What were they going to do, make her apologize? Kid wouldn’t do it, still she knew that she would only regret what she had said if she left now, so against her better judgment she allowed the head mistress to catch her. Better to be disciplined by the head mistress than another official report with the Royal Guard.

Silver stoically watched High Roller take a head count before the candidates training began again, “EVERYPONIES HERE BOSS!” he shouted out.

Silver nodded and addressed the candidates, “How was your lunch?”

They didn’t say anything they just stood in formation scowling at nothing in particular, that was too bad, they were about to get even more angry. “ANSWER ME HORSESHOES!”

“GOOD BOSS!”

Looking over the crowd of candidates Silver could tell this was going to be long afternoon, they were already getting belligerent, “You will control how difficult this training is! If you put everything you’ve got into it I’ll take it easy on you, if not, heh heh, well just wait and see!”

Silver was about to start the candidates on their afternoon of training when she saw Filly the Kid limping in the shadows on the edge of the Cloud Coliseum head and wings hung low and doing her best to disappear into the bleachers even sinking beneath a few of them. “High Roller stretch them out I’ll be back.”

“YES BOSS!”

Flying over to where Kid was the first thing Silver noticed were several purple and yellow bruises, “Kid, what happened?”

Slowly turning around Silver got a better look at the damage Kid had taken, she had a swollen black eye, with a bloody nose, bruises from head to flank, and a few tweaked feathers. She didn’t say anything she just grimaced in pain it looked like one of her ribs was broken her eyes watered up but never spilled over.

Assuming the worst Silver asked, “Kid did Tumble Weed do this to you? I know you two haven’t been getting along lately but if he…”

“It wasn’t Tumble Weed.” Kid cut Silver off quietly, “He wouldn’t do something this unpony.”

“Whose head do I need to stomp?” Silver asked taking Kid’s face in her hooves and making Kid look her in the eyes.

“I’m a grown mare I can take care of myself.” Kid laughed bitterly snorting blood,

“Kid, you’re not a mare yet even if you’re responsible enough to be one you’re still a filly. Don’t let your fillyhood be ruined for something stupid, now who did this to you?”

Looking down and shuffling her hooves she quietly mumbled, “The head mistress of St. Hurricane’s Orphanage.”

Silver should have known all the signs were there, she needed to let Mirage know, “Kid you know better than this, a problem for you is a problem for the Dusties. You should head over to Cloudsdale General, Tumble Weed will be happy to see you.”

Kid had never seen Silver look this enraged before, it was terrifying, “What are you going to do?” she asked nervously.

“What Dusty Bolts do, take care of their team mates.” Somehow Kid knew the head mistress would be receiving another very unwelcome visit.