• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 1,188 Views, 66 Comments

Flying With the Dusty Bolts - Pony Bones



Apaloosa's premier flight exhibition and weather Pegasus team

  • ...
 66
 1,188

Thunderheads on the Horizon

Mayor Straight Shooter pounded his gavel in the town hall conference room as ponies and bison were still filing in, the Wonderbolts hovering overhead representing the Royal Sisters as citizens of Canterlot, “This emergency city council will come to order.” Everypony quieted down and looked expectantly at the Mayor, “I’ll give the floor to Chief Thunderhooves, he’ll explain the reason I called you all here.”

Chief Thunderhooves horns almost scraped the ceiling as he stepped to the head of the assembled ponies and bison, even Sand Blast leaning against a corner in the back of the room only came up to his shoulder.

The Chief’s rumbling baritone voice filled the room as he began, “Appaloosans I come to you today to ask you to go to war with us.”

The conference room erupted ponies reaching for their hidden knifes that they were supposed to leave with the door pony, bison staring down the ponies daring them to do something.

Brayburn shouted above the commotion, “We already gave ya uh stampeedin’ path through our orchards! Wha should we go ta war with ya?”

Mayor Straight Shooter held Brayburn back and silently shook his head that was enough to bring silence back to the conference room, Chief Thunderhooves continued, “A heard of minotaurs nearly killed my daughter, if it hadn’t been for your Dusty Bolts she would not be alive right now.”

Sheriff Silver Star threw an accusing hoof at the Chief, “Sounds ta me lahk ya already got tha help ya needed!”

Chief Thunderhooves shouted shaking the chandeliers above them, “An army of minotaurs is assembling on our border, pony or bison they don’t care, they will kill us all!”

Brayburn looked skeptically at the Chief and then questioningly over at Mirage who should have been the one to tell them about something like this, “Where’d ya git yer infermation?”

Chief Thunderhooves glared defensively, “My scouts are as reliable as the sunrise.”

Sheriff Silver Star looked threateningly over at Mirage, “Why weren’t we told about this?”

Mirage sighed and shook his head, his hoof was throbbing in dull pain from where Fluttershy had wrapped it up after he apologized to her, “We were told by the Mayor’s office that bison skies were off limits for flying in respect of their jurisdiction over them.”

Mayor Straight Shooter scowled, that had been his decision, right now it didn’t matter it was obvious that they had to pull together to overcome this threat, he could only hope the counsel would see it the same way, “Assembled counsel what is your decision on this matter, yea or neigh?”

Mr. Trench the senior counsel member stood to give his vote first, “Mayor, I had hoped to leave my fighting days behind me coming out here to this quiet town, but it is clear that we must defend ourselves and go to war with Chief Thunderhooves, Yea.”

Mayor Straight Shooter gave a small sigh of relief, he hadn’t been sure how Mr. Trench would react, being a veteran he could have voted for Appaloosan noninvolvement not wanting to see conflict on the doorstep of the place he came to, to find peace. It was a good sign his opinion carried a lot of weight.

Brayburn was next glaring hostilely at Chief Thunderhooves he voted, “Ah don’t see uh way around it, yea, though that don’t mean Ah’m happy bout it.”

Next was Mirage who had been talking quietly with Tumble Weed and Sand Blast in their corner, “Mayor I wish to have my vote withheld, whatever decision is made the Dusty Bolts will support it one hundred percent.”

This drew boos from ponies on both sides of the argument, after that the rest of the council voted, with a final count of 16 yeas, 3 neighs, and 1 withheld.

Mayor Straight Shooter looked up at the Wonderbolts who had been silent the entire time, “Before I close these proceedings is there anything you have to say on behalf of the Princesses?”

Spitfire gravely responded, “Nothing on their behalf your honor, we will be sending a courier to request support from the Royal Guard.”

Mirage rolled his eyes, finally the Wonderbolts were good for something and they might actually get some support from Equestria this time.

“Thank you Spitfire, we can use all the help we can get, and the decision is made Appaloosa will go to war with the Bison Tribes, this council is adjourned, begin making preparations immediately.” Mayor Straight Shooter pounded his gavel again dismissing the council,

Sheriff Silver Star took over after that, “Appaloosa is now in uh state uh marshul law, nopony comes in er out uh tha city without mah persahnal purmishin. Dafenses should be put in place immediately; every able bodied colt and stallion will be required to take up arms in the Appaloosan militia, we will leave at nightfall.”

The conference hall emptied with a rush ponies and bison already going over their plans, Mirage could already guess what the Dusty Bolts would be doing, he walked over to where Mayor Straight Shooter, Sheriff Silver Star, and Chief Thunderhooves were talking.

They had just finished as he joined the group Mayor Straight Shooter addressed him, “Mirage we need eyes on that minotaur army pronto, we just got permission from Chief Thunderhooves for use of the skies above bison land.”

Chief Thunderhooves nodded in agreement, “My scouts will lead you within eyesight of the minotaurs, but we need your flying ponies to get a hawk’s eye view of the army.”

Mirage snapped a salute out of habit, “Consider it done Mayor, Chief. Tumble Weed round up my Dusties we will meet you outside.”

Tumble Weed shot off without a word, and Mirage turned back to Chief Thunderhooves, “Well Chief I’d like to meet the scouts we’ll be working with.”

Chief Thunderhooves gave a sharp whistle over his shoulder, “Of course, these are my two best scouts, Phoenix Heart and Red Feather.”

The bison in question ran into the conference room at a gallop, they were small for bison and would have been considered perfect for scouting but they were still colossal by pony standards. Chief Thunderhooves was right they needed pegasi to get a good look at the minotaurs.

Spitfire and Soarin flew up beside Mirage, “Sheriff with your permission I’d like to send Lightning Flash to Canterlot with the request for the Royal Guards.”

Sheriff Silver Star nodded briskly, “Do it.”

Soarin bolted off to find Lightning Flash and Spitfire looked over at Mirage, “We’re ready to support you and the Dusty Bolts.”

Mirage closed his eyes, be civil he told himself, “The best way you can help us out right now is by flying patrols over the town, this reconnaissance mission over bison territory is going to be a dangerous one we need as few pegasi as possible to avoid notice and they have to know the land in case they get lost.”

Spitfire looked disappointed but said, “Well this is your town so you know best.”

Mirage stepped out of town hall into the glaring Appaloosan sun, it was a beautiful clear day if not a bit chilly. He pulled his goggles down as he was confronted with a face full of wing wash, he almost didn’t recognize his Dusty Bolts, when Tumble Weed had been told they were going to War he really took it seriously; every one of the Dusty Bolts from Sand Blast down to Filly the Kid had coated their faces in the traditional pegasi rainbow war paint.

They looked ready to do some damage, even the Wonderbolts in their high speed flight suits regarded his Dusties with a spark of fear in their eyes, Soarin whistled in amazement, “Well I’ll be, I never thought I’d see a pegasi painted up like that.”

Tumble Weed handed Mirage a hoof full of the paint, “We can’t have our leader be the odd one out.”

Mirage smeared his hooves across his face feeling a surge of energy, this was it his Dusty Bolts were going to war, time to kick cutie mark. “Alright Dusties let’s ride, Phoenix Heart, Red Feather lead the way.”

With a wailing war whoop the bison reared back and galloped out of town to the North West with the Dusty Bolts trailing close behind in a staggered column.

Mirage looked over his shoulder at the sound of shouting voices, “Hey pardner ya leavin’ without sayin’ goodbye?”

That could only be one pony, Mirage turned around to see Applejack, Apple Bumpkin, and Fluttershy galloping after them out of town. With a signal he stopped his team and the bison held up waiting for them, The Apple cousins and Fluttershy galloped up out of breath, Fluttershy threw her wings around Sand Blasts neck bringing a glowing rosy hue to his face but then again that could have been the cold air.

“What are you still doing in Appaloosa?” Mirage asked nuzzling Applejack,

“Just doin’ some catchin’ up with cuzin Brayburn ya know. Din’nt expect uh wahr ta brake out.”

Tumble Weed threw his wing around Apple Bumpkin as they wandered away from the group, Apple Bumpkin had a worried look in her eyes as she spoke anxiously with Tumble Weed. Mirage smiled as he watched them, Tumble Weed had worked fast, Apple Bumpkin had it bad.

Looking into Applejacks eyes he put his bandanna around her neck, “I’ll be back for this.”

Mirage thought he saw the beginnings of tears in Applejacks eyes but she blinked and they cleared up. She spoke with a laugh to try and hide her wavering voice. “Well Ah should hope so sugar cube, ye’ll need somthin’ ta wahpe that paint off yer face, ya look lahk a raght terror.”

Mirage smiled and kissed Applejack smack on the muzzle leaving a rainbow smear, “You know it. I’ve got to go.”

Applejack lowered her hat to hide her eyes now Mirage knew she was crying, “Ah know pardner do what ya got ta do but don’t leave yer fiancé hangin’.”

“Never.” Mirage stepped back slowly then galloped up ahead to Phoenix Heart, Three Feathers, Silver, and Kid who was making a gagging motion.

Wiping his nose on his cannon he looked over at Silver Lining, “Brayburn didn’t come out?”

Silver Lining took a deep breath and shook her head, “No, I’m sure he’s busy with preparations for war.”

Mirage looked back at Applejack who was still watching him from the town limits, “Would you mind if I gave Brayburn a little nudge to let him know how you feel about him?”

Silver followed Mirage’s gaze, “No that was the whole point of me waiting for him, to find out if he wanted me or not.”

“I know, sometimes stallions need more encouragement than others, I should know.” Mirage said thinking back to his meeting with Applejack at the Appaloosa Aniversary Dance.

“If you think it would help.” Silver said pretending to wipe dust out of her eyes then lowering her goggles when she couldn’t hold back her tears.

Mirage flew back to Applejack and whispered his idea in her ear as a huge smile began to spread across her face,

“Uhhhhh, what’s taking so long!?” Kid groaned in frustration.

“One day you’ll understand.” Silver said sniffling.

Mirage flew back chuckling to himself,

“What’d you tell her?” Silver asked suspiciously

“Oh I told her you were madly in love with Brayburn so she said she’d have a talk with him about it.”

Silver rolled her eyes, “As if I didn’t make it obvious enough to him.”

“Painfully obvious.” Kid seconded gagging again.

“Oh that’ll change when we come back, you won’t be able to keep his hooves off you.” Mirage said still chuckling.

Tumble Weed and Sand Blast cantered up finished saying their goodbyes, Mirage looked over his team making sure they had made their peace and were ready to go. He could see it in their eyes, he didn’t have to ask but he did anyways just to hear it. “Are we ready to go?”

“Yes Boss!” the Dusty Bolts barked back in unison, Mirage got shivers, that was beautiful.

“Right, let’s ride!”