• Published 10th Feb 2021
  • 6,691 Views, 134 Comments

Good Times in Equestria: Thomas at the School of Friendship - GoebelTron



Thomas is now attending his Auntie Twilight’s new school and is about to learn more lessons regarding the importance of friendship.

  • ...
3
 134
 6,691

Non-Compete Clause

At the School of Friendship, Rainbow Dash flew through the hallway with her speed, and made it to the conference room. “I’m here! Did I miss the Teacher of the Month announcement?” she asked.

“You're just in time. But it's gonna be me,” Applejack said. “Yeah, right. I got this one nailed,” Rainbow Dash said.

“And the Friendship School Teacher of the Month is... Fluttershy!” Twilight said, pointing at Fluttershy.

Applejack groaned with her forelegs crossed, “Again?”

“Come on!” Rainbow Dash said with frustration. “Oh, my! I don't know how I keep winning,” Fluttershy said, as Spike took her picture.

“Yeah. Me, neither,” Rainbow Dash said disappointingly. “The award is based on the students' vote. They must really like you,” Twilight said, as Spike looked at her pictures on the wall. “Congratulations, Fluttershy.” Applejack and Rainbow Dash made sad faces, until Fluttershy giggled while receiving the trophy. Applejack patted Rainbow Dash’s shoulder for comfort while they look down in unamused depression.

“Next item of business – I've been looking into a new activity for our friendship classes,” Twilight said. “Since we know that teamwork is a part of friendship, I’d thought I’d like to announce a field trip to give our students a lesson on teamwork. Now, I just need some volunteers.”

They suddenly saw Applejack and Rainbow Dash sulking. “Whatever is the matter? You don’t look happy,” Rarity said. “Guess you were eager to win the award, huh?” Twilight asked. “How’d you know?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Being the Teacher of the Month isn’t easy, but it’s up to the students to decide,” Twilight said. “I guess you’re right,” Rainbow Dash said, as she and Applejack still felt depressed. Fluttershy then thought of an idea, “Why don’t you both take over the field trip together?”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash gasped, “WHAT?!”

“Whoa there now! I think you might wanna rethink that!” Applejack said nervously. “Yeah, uh... it’s kinda too soon,” Rainbow Dash said. “Of course! Who better to model the importance of working as a team?” Twilight asked. “But we...” Rainbow Dash said, until Twilight cut her off. “Leading it is a Teacher of the Month-type job, so I thought this field trip would be a great example. Both of you are teamwork experts. If the students see the two of you teaching together, they'll learn even more. I know you've been competitive in the past, but I'm sure you'd never let that get in the way of friendship education.”

“Of course!” Applejack said. “Totally!” Rainbow Dash said. Applejack and Rainbow Dash chuckled, before groaning in disappointment, “We’re doomed.”


Later on, the Young Six, with Thomas riding on Silverstream’s back and holding onto her mane, were with Twilight as they started their field trip.

“I've never been on a field trip before,” Ocellus said. “Yeah, what's the point of this exactly?” Smolder asked. “Getting out of the classroom. Duh,” Gallus said. “Field trips are actually part of school, but the teacher takes us somewhere for what we’re studying or learning on like to either a science or history museum or the zoo or the aquarium,” Thomas said. “Good point, Thomas,” Twilight said.

“Yak best at field-tripping!” Yoga said happily. “That's what we're doing?! So fun!” Silverstream said, until Smolder caught him from falling off Silverstream, before placing him back on the hippogriff’s back. “Sorry, cutie.” Thomas nodded and then hugged the back of her neck as she gently patted his hands with her claws. Sandbar chuckled, “Pretty sure the headmare has something else in mind.”

“All right, class. Today you'll learn how important working together is for building a strong friendship,” Twilight said. “So, I placed Professors Applejack and Rainbow Dash in charge.”

“Hey, y'all! Ready to get out there and do some learnin' the Apple family way and the Wonderbolt way?” Applejack asked. “This is basically gonna be the best field trip in the history of ever! With me in charge, that is,” Rainbow Dash said. Applejack chuckled nervously, “That’s right. With us in charge. Meanin' mostly me and you half the time,” Applejack said. “Yeah. Good one,” Rainbow Dash said. “Are you sure you two got this?” Twilight asked. They both nodded with nervous smiles. “And what teamwork activity do you two have planned for today?” Twilight asked.

“Shed buildin'!/Canoe racing! Jinx!” They both chuckled.

“No... way. We get to do both?!” Silverstream asked. “I bet that's exactly what your teachers had in mind. Why don't you start with shed building first?” Twilight asked. “Heh. Don't mind if I do! Everycreature, follow the leaders!” Applejack said, as Rainbow Dash followed up ahead. “I'll check in later to see how it's going. Remember to work together!” Twilight said, as she walked back over to the school.


Applejack made a deep inhale, “Now take a good, deep breath. What do you smell?” Gallus made a deep inhale as well, “Uh, yak?” Yona sniffed herself, “Mm-hmm!”

“Nope. Try again,” Applejack said. “Um, apples?” Ocellus said, as Smolder made a few slices for Thomas to have. “And...? Anyone? Anyone? No? The promise of... teamwork!” Applejack said, showing them the shed. “That there's an apple shed. And this here is what we're gonna use to build it. Nothin' brings friends together like a little hard work and honest sweat.”

Rainbow Dash laughed, “Sweat? Seriously? That's supposed to be part of friendship?”

“Not everypony would know that, Rainbow Dash. Just "Teacher of the Month" kind o' ponies, unless that’s what you’re counting on for,” Applejack said. “Whatever. Let's just get this done so we can move on to my activity,” Rainbow Dash said.

Later on, the Young Six and Thomas started constructing their Apple shed as Yona and Gallus did hammering by using Yona’s hooves as a hammer while Gallus held the nails steady, Silverstream and Ocellus carrying wood by tying them with rope and Thomas on Silverstream’s back for extra help, Sandbar painting the wood, and Smolder sawing more wood into smaller but longer pieces. “That's it! Measure twice and cut once! Haste makes waste! Slow and steady!” Applejack said.

“But no rush! Just take all the time you need!” Rainbow Dash said. “Exactly! Spoken like a true teacher!” Applejack said. The students then pulled the rope with their claws and teeth, and placed the walls together, along with the door. “Okay, hold it steady!” Rainbow Dash said, as she flew up and placed the nails onto each spot as quickly as she could with her lightning kicks. “Okay, carry on,” she said, and then the students hammered the nails into the wood and then got to work on the roof.

“Glad you got the right spots,” Applejack said. “Yep. Just doing something less competitive for once,” Rainbow Dash said. “Now remember, this ain’t no competition to prove who’s best at bein’ the teacher of the month. It’s just a field trip for fun and to teach these here students about teamwork,” Applejack said. “No problem. I’m just going along with it,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Don't count your pictures before they're snapped, Rainbow Dash,” Applejack said. “Oh, come on! These students are totally gonna vote for a teacher who gets things done!” Rainbow Dash said. “No! They're gonna vote for a teacher who gets things done right!” Applejack said.

“Auntie Applejack, we’re ready,” Thomas said, as the two mares saw the roof was completed. “Well, lookie here,” Applejack said. “Now, let’s get this thing set up, nice and slow, but steady.”

The students then got the roof in position and then started lowering it gently and slowly, “Okay... Steady... Steady... Take 'er nice and slow... Now just a little bit to the left, and a little bit back but on the right... Almost there...”

Rainbow Dash growled, “JUST BRING IT DOWN ALREADY!!” Yona screamed and then Smolder and Gallus let go of the rope, until Rainbow Dash placed the nails on the wooden planks.

“There! Done and done!” Applejack said. “Now, I do think you owe somecreature an apology.”

“Sorry...” Rainbow Dash said, as Yona nodded. “So, if we’re done, how about we move on to one awesome event! Follow me! Last on there’s a rotten apple!” Rainbow Dash zoomed away, as Applejack asked Big Mac to move the shed to their farm.


“Who's ready to smash the all-time Equestria speed record for river canoeing?!” Rainbow Dash asked, while wearing a red helmet and orange safety vest, and so did the other students, including Thomas after he asked to change into his swimsuit.

“Is that even a thing?” Gallus asked. “First I've heard of it,” Ocellus said. “We need to get to the finish line before this alarm goes off. That means you gotta move fast! Any questions?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Uh, Yona has questions,” she said.

“No time for 'em! Get in the boat!” Rainbow Dash hollered, until the students got over to the boat.

“You really think winnin' some canoein' record is gonna get you that Teacher of the Month trophy?” Applejack asked. “I'm pretty sure everycreature's gonna like it a lot better than pounding nails and cutting wood,” Rainbow Dash said, as Applejack made a stern look.

The students walked into the water and onto the boat, and Thomas sat on Silverstream’s lap, snuggled against her fur. “Yak not like water,” Yona said. “Sometimes, when I'm scared to try something new, I whistle,” Ocellus said, until Yona made some weak whistling. “We got you, Yona,” Gallus said as he and Sandbar helped her onto the boat. “Way I see it, Twilight's gonna give that teachin' trophy to a teacher, not a racer,” Applejack said. “We'll see about that,” Rainbow Dash said.

Later on, they started canoeing as the students were oaring with the oars.

“Stroke! Stroke! Stroke! Harder! Put your backs into it, newbies!” Rainbow Dash said. “Stroooooke... Stroooooke... Stroooooke... Slower... Focus on your paddle technique, y'all,” Applejack said. “Woo-hoo! We're really going now!” Silverstream exclaimed. “So... when do we get to the part when we move?” Smolder asked, as the water kept splashing. “When everycreature starts listening to me, the leader of my activity, Applejack! Now stroke!” The water kept on splashing as the students kept stroking their oars. “This ain’t the Wonderbolts boot camp, Rainbow Dash! This is a school field trip! Quit treating it like a drill sergeant and act like a school teacher!” Applejack said.

“Dig in, team! We can still beat that record!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Stop!” Applejack said.

“Go!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Which way do we go?” Ocellus asked.

“Left!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Right!” Applejack said. “Aye-aye, captains! Wait, what?” Silverstream asked.

“Left! I can see the finish line from here!” Rainbow Dash said. “If we go left, we'll be headin' straight into the bite-acuda fish!” Applejack said. “Who cares about a few fish?” Rainbow Dash asked. “You'll care plenty when they bite ya!” Applejack replied. “We'll just go around them!” Rainbow Dash said. “Rock!” Sandbar exclaimed, as the group screamed, and their canoe crashed into the rock and into pieces.

The students rose back up, and gasped for air while coughing up water, until Yona’s life vest got stuck, and then torn into torn fabric and fluff. “I love field trips!” Silverstream said.

“I hope you're happy,” Applejack said. Rainbow Dash scoffed, “Obviously not! Because there goes our new speed record!”

Thomas’s foot suddenly got stuck onto Yona’s scarf as she started sinking. “Help! Somebody!” he exclaimed while he and Yona started drowning, “Yak not swim!” Suddenly they were both underwater as Thomas tried to swim back up while holding his breath.

Silverstream and Ocellus went underwater as seaponies and then Thomas climbed onto Silverstream’s back and held onto her neck while the two girl creatures helped Yona. “That's okay! Your friends can change into creatures that do!” Ocellus said.

They then met up on surface and held onto each other, and Silverstream felt Thomas hug her neck, “Thank you.”

“How’s the canoeing... going?” Twilight then gasped. “Is everycreature alright?! What happened?!”

“About as good as the apple shed building,” Smolder said, as Twilight saw Thomas crying in Silverstream’s fur. “Thomas? Are you alright? What happened?”

“We fell in,” Thomas replied. “My foot was stuck on Yona’s scarf, and I was sinking, and I thought I was gonna die.”

Twilight then nuzzled her nephew, “Shhhhhh shhhhhh... It’s okay, sweetie. It’s okay. You’re safe now.”

“Oh, you poor thing,” Twilight said, as she nuzzled her nephew’s cheek and got a towel from his bag, until Silverstream wrapped it around him. “Twilight, we had everything under control on our activities, but Rainbow Dash here was forcing it like it’s the Wonderbolts boot camp for no reason, thinking it would award the trophy to a racer!” Applejack said. “It was here fault! She wrecked everything and messed them up!” Rainbow Dash said. “I did not!” Applejack said.

Twilight was not amused. “They were like this the whole canoe ride,” Gallus said. “But except it was between 85 to 99%,” Sandbar said. Silverstream was still holding Thomas in her arm while he kept crying underneath her chest fur with his arms and legs curled up. Twilight then went over to talk to both Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

“I can’t believe you two! You’re not just teaching teamwork, but were competing against each other?! I thought you were over that!” Twilight said. “We are! Well... mostly, but it’s not my fault the boat crashed!” Rainbow Dash said. “Well, it certainly isn’t mine if you had just listened to me, then the students and our nephew would’ve been safe!” Applejack said. “Enough! Explain yourselves, now,” Twilight said. “The point is... we were just eager for being the Teacher of the Month, but one of us got carried away by treating the trip as a boot camp more than a regular school field trip,” Applejack explained. “I was just trying to keep it under control without any safety issues or accidents.”

“That’s because you were so eager on taking things "nice and slow and steady," if we just sped things up a little!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Stop it! Listen, the Teacher of the Month isn’t just about being best at something. It’s about who the student thinks who’s more responsible for the trophy. I know Fluttershy would be thrilled to see another pony win, because she wins because she’s very kind and responsible for her students, but you were so focused on competing each other instead of being responsible for yours,” Twilight said. “We’re sorry, Twilight. We just wanted that trophy so bad,” Rainbow Dash said. “But we never get a chance, until you chose to let us take over the trip, which we tried to warn you not to do because of our competitiveness,” Applejack said. “And what does Fluttershy have what we don’t?! We’re good teachers, but besides the fact that we have a problem with our competitive side,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Well, if you had a problem with that or that you didn’t want to do the trip, you could’ve just told me and maybe I could’ve hired a chaperone! You know what? That’s it! For now on, I’m taking over this field trip!” Twilight said, as Applejack and Rainbow Dash gasped. “Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold up there now! Don’t be selling us out just yet,” Applejack said. “And why is that?” Twilight asked. “Because these students also worked together with building the shed, but I got carried away with speeding things up,” Rainbow Dash said. “It’s true, but I was also only trying to avoid leading our group towards the bite-acuda fish until we crashed into that rock,” Applejack said.

“Hmmm... Maybe you two have learned something, after all,” Twilight said. “Does that mean you'll give us another chance?” Applejack asked. “If you’re being reasonable? We promise we’ll do it right,” Rainbow Dash said.

Twilight sighed, “Fine. But this time I'm picking the next activity you two lead. A nature walk. Nopony could possibly argue over that. Right?”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash nodded in unison, “Right!”

“Good. Now I expect another full report on your success, and this time, no competing, meaning no arguing, bickering or fighting, and other things. Okay?” Twilight said, as Applejack and Rainbow Dash nodded in agreement, and then Twilight went back to the school.

Later on, the group of students, with Thomas on Silverstream’s back, were following Applejack and Rainbow Dash in the woods for their nature walk, until they saw a split path up ahead. “Well, look at that. The path splits up ahead. Left or right?” Applejack said.

“Ugh. Here we go again,” Smolder said, until Thomas softly squeaked with a whimper as he hid underneath Silverstream’s mane, but she patted his shoulder for comfort.

“Where to, Rainbow Dash?” Applejack asked. “I was thinking right... unless you want to go left. Because what makes you happy makes mehappy,” Rainbow Dash said. “Aw, heck. Forget about me. You want to go right, we'll go right,” Applejack said. “But teamwork means listening to other ponies, so it's up to you,” Rainbow Dash said. “Well, aren't you as sweet as sugar apple pie? But it's up to you,” Applejack said.

“Can’t we just please move on?! This is ridiculous!” Smolder said. “Follow me! Yak know best way!” Yona said, leading the group to another path, until their teachers saw them going on ahead. “Hey! Where are y'all goin'?” Applejack asked, as they caught up.

As they all went through, Applejack and Rainbow Dash kept offering to go through the tree branches, but they suddenly got stuck after going through at the same time, until Yona gave them a quick shove, and then they followed their teachers through the woods on different paths, until they found themselves near a cliff where a ravine was far from the other.

“I’m getting the feeling like we’ve been going in circles 5 times,” Ocellus said. “Only because someponies won't make up their minds about which way to go,” Sandbar said. “Okay, what’s the big idea?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Don’t look at me. I’m just trying to do things our way or the other way around,” Applejack said. “Are we still on a field trip? 'Cause this just feels like being lost,” Silverstream said.

“Hey! I can see the school!” Thomas said, as he stood up on the back of Silverstream’s neck. “Where?” Gallus asked. “I see it! O-over there!” Thomas said, and then Smolder flew up and took a look, until she saw the school up ahead. “He’s right, but it’s gonna take a couple of hours. We can still get back to school before dark if we cross that ravine and stop doubling back.”

“Well, how do we do that? If that is unless you have a plan, Applejack,” Rainbow Dash said. “Uh, yup! All we have to do is, uh... build a bridge 'cross that, uh, giant canyon, and we're home free. That is, if-if you think a bridge is a good idea,” Applejack said. “Only if you want to build a bridge,” Rainbow Dash said.

Stop! Listen. We can just fly everyone over and be done,” Gallus said angrily. “Nope! There's still plenty o' time to teach y'all a lesson in teamwork,” Applejack said. “Cooperation, and togetherness!” Rainbow Dash said. “How right you are!” Applejack said. “Okay! We'll build a bridge! What do we use?” Smolder asked. “What about that?”

Thomas saw a log up ahead, but didn’t know that there were vines around the branches and roots underneath. “Good thinkin’, sugarcube!” Applejack said. “Now, y’all just wait right here, and we’ll go first.”

“Just to make sure if it’s safe or not,” Rainbow Dash said, and then as she and Applejack went on ahead, and they both made a bridge made of vines and branches to go along with it, and then they kept making it without falling over. “Uh, at least now they're agreeing on something,” Ocellus said.

“Okay, now just be careful now,” Applejack said as she took a softer step with Rainbow Dash by her side, but she suddenly made the log crack underneath.

“Uh-oh...” they said in unison, before they screamed and fell out of the log, making themselves trapped and hanging in a cage made of the branches and vines.

The Young Six and Thomas looked at them, with gasps of shock. Rainbow Dash grunted while trying to get loose, “I can't get out!”

“Let me try,” Applejack said, until grunted trying to get out by using a lasso made of the vines, but she missed as it fell towards the water. The vines started cracking, until they heard teeth snapping.

“Let me guess. Bite-acudas?” Rainbow Dash asked. They saw the fish as they had big chomping jaws, green scaly skin, wing shaped fins and piranha shaped bodies. “Mm-hmm,” Applejack said, as she and Rainbow Dash saw them swimming around them both. “And they look mighty hungry.”

“We gotta get our professors out of there! Anycreature have a plan?” Sandbar asked. “Leave 'em hangin'?” Gallus asked rudely. “What?!” Silverstream and Thomas asked in unison. “I'm kidding! ...Kinda,” Gallus said sarcastically. “I don’t wanna lose them!” Thomas said, while whimpering underneath Silverstream’s fur while she was holding him against her chest. “Don’t worry, sweetie. We’ll save them,” she said while gently stroking him with her claws.

“We need to work fast! And together!” Ocellus said. Until they heard the vines snapping. “But mainly fast,” Smolder said.

Applejack looked at Rainbow Dash and spoke up, “I hate to admit it, but—“ The vines started snapping again. “...this whole mess is kinda our fault.”

“Yeah. No trophy is worth getting eaten over,” Rainbow Dash said. “So what do ya say? You want to team up and get ourselves out of this here pickle barrel?” Applejack asked. “I thought you'd never ask,” Rainbow Dash said. Suddenly, as they saw a big arctic blue and pinkish red bite-acuda, Rainbow Dash and Applejack screamed as they heard it speak. “Aah! Don't worry. I'm just the distraction,” she said, as the two mares knew who it was.

“Ocellus?!” Rainbow Dash asked. Applejack sighed, “You nearly scared the cutie marks off us!” Ocellus went towards the bite-acudas and made roaring and chomping sounds, as the hungrily angry fish were chased by the changeling.

The last few vines snapped, and Rainbow Dash and Applejack screaming, until they were caught by Silverstream and Gallus. “Need a lift?” Silverstream asked, as she and Gallus escorted their professors to the surface. “Yak smash!” Yona’s said, as she used her hooves and horns to pry the cage open, and then Thomas hugged his aunts on the front legs, as the hugged them back.

“Welcome back, professors!” Sandbar said. “I thought I’d never see you again!” Thomas whimpered. “Don’t worry, little feller. We’re here now,” Applejack said motherly, while patting his backside and while Rainbow Dash used her wing, but then she decided to hold him against her chest.

“Now, that was a rescue!” Rainbow Dash said. “And y'all did it together!” Applejack said. The Young Six, including Thomas cheered for their teamwork. “No big. Those fish weren't even a thing,” Gallus said, until the fish Ocellus growled at Gallus, making him scream.

Ocellus chuckled, “Oops. Sorry.” She then turned back into her regular form. Silverstream giggled, “Best... field trip... ever!”

“Can we go home now? Please?” Thomas asked, and then the two mares nodded.


Back at the school, Twilight was waiting for the group to return, until she saw them return, and Thomas on Silverstream’s back.

“Huh? How was the field trip? What did you all learn?” Twilight asked. Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked at each other, “Uhhhh...”

“Yak learn ponies smart!” Yona said. “Yeah! Professors Applejack and Rainbow Dash were such good teachers!” Silverstream said. “But I didn’t like them fighting,” Thomas said, as Smolder patted his shoulder. “It was kind of crazy genius. They showed us what not to do so we'd figure out what we should do,” Gallus said.

“Really...?” Twilight asked. “Mmhmm,” Thomas said while nodding. “It took us a while to get it,” Sandbar said. “Especially at the ravine. It would've been so much easier to just fly home,” Smolder said. “But I didn’t want to scare the little guy since he’s timid most of the time.”

“But instead, our professors built bridges the wrong way just to show us how important teamwork is,” Silverstream said,a she let Thomas lay on her arm and curled against her chest. “Yeah, and we saved their lives by working together,” Thomas said. “Yeah. That was super dangerous. Talk about commitment,” Gallus said.

“We know it's too early to pick the Teacher of the Month. But we'd like you to consider Auntie Rainbow Dash and Auntie Applejack,” Thomas said. “Plus, it’d be more fun with them as the Teachers of the Month,” Ocellus said.

“Thank you for telling me. I'm so glad to hear your field trip was a success. I'll make sure to schedule another one right away,” Twilight said. “Now why don’t you go enjoy yourselves for a little while, and Thomas? Fluttershy’s waiting for you to head home.” Thomas nodded and then left to go meet up with his mother. The Young Six cheered, and then went to their dorms.

“You were actually just competing the entire time, weren't you?” Twilight asked. “To tell you the truth... yeah,” Applejack said. “Well, not all the time. I agreed with you for the whole nature walk,” Rainbow Dash said. “Only 'cause you were anglin' for that Teacher of the Month award!” Applejack said. “You were also the one doing the "angling"!” Rainbow Dash said. Applejack scoffed, “You were more like fandanglin'!”

“What does that even mean?! No one here can understand your country bumpkin talk...!” Rainbow Dash said. “Look, we all live in the same town here...!” Applejack said. Twilight cleared her throat, “Are you two done?”

They both nodded, “So, since you’ve both learned that teamwork is a part of the pillars of friendship, and that you learned your lesson on competing each other, I’d like to present you these.” Spike took their picture as they hoof-bumped each other, and then got their trophies. “They’re announcing you both as Teachers of the Month! Congratulations, you two!” Twilight said. Rainbow Dash and Applejack cheered for their accomplishment and then Twilight walked away to place their picture on the wall.