• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 2,401 Views, 59 Comments

Her Favorite Mailmare - luigilink32



Rainbow Dash has had a crush on Derpy for awhile, but doesn't get a chance to show her- until today

  • ...
3
 59
 2,401

Chapter 5

Rainbow Dash shut the door quietly behind her and sighed loudly, wondering how she would pass the long hours between now and the Royalty Reform Dance. Getting ready would probably take about five minutes, but since it was Derpy we were talking about, maybe seven.
"Great, now what do I do with the rest of the five hours and fifty three minutes?" she wondered aloud.
Well there were all of the dirty dishes piled high in the sink, the trash on the floor, the fur on the ceiling...nah, that could still wait.

Dash wandered around the house, aimlessly shuffling, mind, if it was drawing, would still have a plain white piece of paper. She sighed and flopped onto the couch. She was so bucking BORED. If she was any more bored, they'd have to use her as a sheet of plywood.
After rolling on the floor for sheer entertainment for what felt like an hour, she sat up and glanced at the clock. Five hours and forty eight minutes until the dance. She groaned and fell back to the floor. She wondered if there was anything she could do while waiting for the interminable minutes to drag themselves by.

Rainbow mulled over her options of activities in town, and concluded that seeing Rarity to throw together an outfit might be a wise choice. She threw the door. Luckily it didn't hit anypony that would've happened to be in its arc of momentum. She really had to stop tossing that thing about.

Over at Rarity's boutique, Dash decided against going through the front door, and instead flew through the roof. Luckily the hole she had made last time was still there. She landed not-so-gracefully, and rolled straight into a mannequin modeling some important looking dress, probably for some high-end client that she had. She stood it back up, hoping Rarity wouldn't notice its recently acquired tears and missing jewels.

Rainbow stalked downstairs, alert for any sounds that indicated that anypony was present downstairs. She faintly heard conversation, and paused at the base of the steps.
"Yes, it is quite large," mused a voice, presumably Rarity's.
"Definitely. Want a closer look?" a stallion's voice nearly smirked. Dash's eyes grew wide and she pressed her right ear to the door.
"Oh, yes, that would be lovely," Rarity purred in what Dash thought might have been a tone of seduction, was she cheating on Fluttershy with this guy?
Dash pressed her ear harder against the door, trying to figure out what the hay was going on, and found on accident that it hadn't been properly shut. She tumbled out into the clothes shop.

Rarity and a stallion Rainbow didn't recognize were standing in the center of the displays, their heads turned towards her. In the stallion's hoof was a rather large gem, which must have been the object of their conversation.
"Uh...hi." Dash tried to stand up and look like she had meant to fall onto the floor, but knocked over another mannequin, which fell on another, which fell onto a glass case, which smashed open.
The next few moments were silent.
"Rainbow Dash," Rarity began, her tone even but hiding anger, "Get. Out. Now."
"But I-"
"Now!" Rarity screamed as she escorted her to the door, not very gently, and shoved her through the entrance.

"Shoo, and don't come back!" Rarity yelled, slamming the door in her face as Dash sighed and sat on the porch with a thud, accidentally falling on her own tail, looking a little more than embarrassed and guilty.
She got up again, waving her tail to make sure it was not too damaged and tried to figure out what to do next. Well, at least that had been more exciting that aimlessly pacing the house.

She then, through boredom and dumb luck with flight, chose to visit her good friend Applejack.
"Hey Applejack, you got anything to do around here?" Applejack was toting two full saddlebags of apple seeds.
"Rainbow Dash? Doin' useful jobs? Hah!" she chuckled. Dash rolled her eyes.
"Well, we sure got plenty of jobs 'round here to do, if ya ain't afraid to get your hooves dirty." Applejack added with a smirk knowing that the Pegasus could never turn down a challenge.
"Bring it!" Rainbow Dash shouted with her right hoof hitting her chest in cockiness.

Dash was slightly regretting this decision after an hour. She struggled with the load on her back, having to give extreme effort just to keep it balanced, let alone actually walking to its destination, never mind flying or even flapping her wings.
Her legs wobbled and she grit her teeth.
"Havin' trouble there, sugarcube?" Applejack grinned, hauling twice as much and going three times as fast as Dash was. Rainbow shook her head, her pride not allowing her to admit she was wrong or for that matter, struggling.
Applejack for her part was obviously enjoying watching Rainbow Dash attempting to maintain control of the apples she was carrying.
Dash thought Applejack must still be mad about losing the Iron Pony competition. Even though that was well over and behind them.

"Nah. I just, uh...forgot to stretch. Yeah," Dash flashed a wicked grin and lied straight through her teeth.
"Well, why don'tcha go stretch in the barn then? Can't be strainin' those ham strings, can we?" Applejack lightly kicked Rainbow's right hind leg who winced upon contact.

Dash muttered curses as she did her normal warm-up routine, even though it was usually for flying, it could be modified for ground work. She grimaced as she popped her muscles and sighed when relief flooded in. Now for the jumping jacks. She had done about eight when she bumped into a barrel.
"Oops," she stopped and turned around. The first barrel teetered precariously on the edge towards Dash. It leaned a little more, and fell the other way. Dash breathed a sigh of relief. She continued her routine.
She snapped her head around when she heard a barrel splinter.
"What-" she only had time to say before all the barrels were rolling in different directions.
"Ah, crap..." She tried catching the barrels, which was no use and not a great thing to do with hooves, wishing she had Spike's claws for once as the barrels tumbled every which way too fast, and just flew over the whole mess of applesauce the barrels had contained.
Suddenly the barn door flew open.
"What in the hay is goin'-" Applejack received a direct splatter of applesauce in the face. As she stood in dumb shock, apple preserves dripping off her, she looked to Rainbow Dash.
"What the buck didja do?!"
"I-I...it was an accident! I swear! I'm sorry!" Applejack lowered her head and shook it.
"Out. Now."
"But I could help clean-"
"No. Jus' leave Rainbow Dash." she had annoyed look on her face and was about an inch away from screaming cuss words at her. Rainbow had just destroyed about 5 shipments of applesauce in one fell sweep.

"Whatcha waiting for? Princess Celestia's invitation? Get!" Applejack shouted as Dash zipped out the barn door trying her best not to scream or cry, but the problem was she did not know which she wanted to do first.