• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 715 Views, 4 Comments

Ghosting - Lucy_Marigold



Queen Twilight Sparkle journeys through the mirror but something is off. Those who have died are alive and those who lived are dead.

  • ...
2
 4
 715

Chapter 5 - Whispers.

~ Chapter 5 - Whispers. ~

02:27 PM, September 5th, 2 C.E.

The Enigma Hive.

“Would you like a cup of tea?” Odonata asked, shutting the door behind them. The room was decorated with chairs and cushions, a simple tea table sitting in the centre. “Tea and a chat, a wonderful way for Queens to chat.”

“How did-” Twilight spluttered as Chrysalis placed a palm against her head.

“-I know? It’s obvious. You both are much taller than my daughter.” Odonata sighed, pouring a cup of tea with a faint smile on her face.

“Is it that obvious?” Chrysalis grumbled.

“Absolutely. So why don’t you enlighten me of it all?” She sat down, ushering Twilight to do the same. “You seem awfully similar. And you look so much like an Xenica changeling.”

By Vendalia, lie. Just lie. We can’t tell her.’ Chrissy’s panicked voice mentally screamed.

“Well, our grandmother, uh, Queen Rose, she was, uh, banished by her mother for, uh….” Twilight paused, coughing. “Messing with her changeling genetics.”

“Yes. She spliced herself with different DNA from the other Queens and it resulted in her creating a very strange genetic line.” Chrysalis said, hand still held tightly in Twilight’s hand. “Technically speaking, we’re both still princesses, but due to our genetics, we enter Queenhood quite early.”

She paused, squeezing her hand. “We’ve been living a very solitary life away from conflict since grandmother’s death. My sister, Dusk and I have only recently left the Hive. My name is Dawn.”

Twilight watched as the lies flowed out of Chrysalis as easy as water. Although Twilight personally attested lying, in a situation such as this, it was a necessity.

“Yes, Dawn and I have just enrolled in the local high school. It was Mother’s idea.” It sounded a lot more awkward than Twilight intended.

“I would love to open relations with another hive” The lavender queen chirped, smiling. “It has been a long time since any of the hives have interacted with one another,” Odonata said wistfully. “It has been centuries since I’ve seen any of them. I haven’t seen them since my childhood.”

“Oh? Why’s that?”

“Disagreements between the previous Queens. But I doubt you’d want to hear such stories when you, yourself, possess so many.”

“Of course. But it has been a rather long day, we should leave.”

“Where are you staying?”

“A hotel. Near the school.”

“I must insist you stay, you are family after all. I can’t in my good conscious let you stay in a hotel!” Odonata protested, darting upwards as she clasped her hands together. “Come, I’ll have Twilight set up a room for you both.”


03:01 PM, September 5th, 2 C.E.

The Enigma Hive.

Twilight paced back and forth in the large room she had been given. It reminded her greatly of the dusty rooms she had uncovered back home. But this time, the air was laden with perfume and sweet-smelling flowers.

It was almost sickeningly sweet, like a dream you weren’t meant to wake up from. Her mother was alive. She could have that relationship she desired so much but at what cost. She had to leave before the portal closed. They were on borrowed time.

Her fingers, as her alternate self had explained, gripped the soft curtains, eyes gazing out the foggy window. Shapes blurred together as others walked past, eyes straining the longer she looked.

Hello Twilight.’ A voice mentally whispered eerily.

“Who are you? You’re not Chrissy” Twilight snapped back, eyes glancing around the room.

I’m merely here to help. It’s been a while since we last talked. You were so upset last time. How are you feeling now?” They questioned.

She frowned, sitting down on the ornate bed in the centre of the room. “Death?”

Not quite. We do know each other though.

“Are you from this world? What do you want with me?” Twilight stared around the silent room.

I am not from this world. As I said, I’m here to help you, Twilight.

“Help me, how?”


02:29 PM, June 30th, 2 S.E.

The Canterlot Castle.

Twilight Sparkle raised a shaky hoof towards her cheek, wiping away more stray tears that fell. Her heart felt heavy and broken. She coughed, hacking up ichor as it slipped down her chin.

Her body felt weak and so tired. She stared at the window at the ambulance carriage in the castle grounds. A stretcher covered with a cloth was pulled inside as Celestia bowed her head. Their lips were moving but Twilight couldn’t hear what they were saying.

She screwed her eyes closed as images flashed through her mind. “It’s my fault.” Twilight hoarsely muttered, falling to her haunches.

It’s not your fault, Twilight.’ A voice whispered in her head.

“It is. It’s all my fault. She’s gone. She’s the only one other than Celestia I had linking to-to…” A hoof fell down against the glass, fracturing at the impact. Ichor slipped out, mingling with the broken glass shards.

The afternoon sun shone through the windows, the recent spider web fracture making the light dance around her.

It’s their fault, Twilight. It’ll always be their fault. Rhene was going to kill Chrysalis, not you. Applejack died not for you, but for HER.’

“I don't like her, but I’ve got to try. I’ve got to become her friend even if it hurts me in the end.” Twilight solemly muttered, staring at her fractured appearance in the glass.