• Published 16th Jan 2021
  • 2,759 Views, 6 Comments

Displaced Diet-y - MetalBrony20



After the discovery of a long lost Somnambulan temple, Rainbow Dash's curiosity will lead her across worlds; where the sun scorches the land, vast temples are erected for innumerable gods, and pegasi are treated as heavenly figures.

  • ...
11
 6
 2,759

Chapter 3 - Cultural Shock With a Side of Toast

Dawn rose once more for the land of Akhethra. Swelling larger and larger, the boiling yellow orb took it’s place amongst the deep blue sky. Once more, the powerful rays illuminated the dusty lands, glistening off the shrunken river and sparkling from the polished limestone composing many of the houses in the city.

For most, this would have spelt another day of hard, gruelling labour, tending to the many facets of agriculture that were straining to survive. The river which brought nutrient rich silt from the lands above once satisfied this demand. A more erratic supply now existed. The weakened river failed to transport as much sediment it had traditionally, leaving farmers to work all the harder to produce their crops.

Something had changed, however. Workers and farm hands rising felt an odd wave of confidence and peace. It was a mystifying experience, made even more strange once they had talked amongst each other. Further and further into the city, ponies and zebra’s alike were in a deep debate over what had caused the change.

Some were quick to point to it being some anomaly. Decades of hardship had jaded their perceptions, so were quick to dismiss the phenomenon as nothing more than some trick or hysteria. Some believed that the gods themselves were taking pity on them. Others, which mainly included unicorns, believed it was some powerful calming spell. A very limited few knew the true reason.

Hetramila and Zanubia were crowded around a battered scroll. Upon the yellowed papyrus, carefully drawn in hieroglyphs, was the text that promised them so much hope for the future. “Let me take another look at the prophecy. I want to make absolutely certain I have these passages committed to memory.”

“Why would you worry? Learning the words is no hurry, I have already burned the words into my mind, and would only forget if the stars aligned.” Zanubia smirked, adjusting her position on the chaise lounge. “But if you so wish to garner the gist, I shall not resist.”

Nodding, the tan coloured unicorn leaned in, scratching her chin as her eyes greedily poured over the sheet. Humming to herself in satisfaction, she nearly missed the sound of footsteps resonating from her left. Jerking back up, she smiled, watching as a small group of maids entered, escorting a familiar cyan mare.

Placing a hand on the back of the chair, Hetramila got a good look at the pegasus, and was more than satisfied with the results of last night's feast. From the thin, but well-toned body she possessed, it was ever so slightly softened. Her stomach had a very mild overhand on the waistband, her hips flaring out with the ghost of a muffin top developing. Her thighs touched together slightly, causing the mare to widen her stance that little extra to compensate.

Her arms swayed by her sides, looking mostly the same as before, though her upper arms had rounded out, veiling the musculature of Rainbow’s biceps in soft globs of fat. Coming to a halt in front of the pair, Hetramila could help but watch as the prismatic mare’s body continued to move, sloshing gently like ripples on a pond.

“So, uhh, you wanted to see me?” Rainbow started, scratching the back of her head, just below where the crown sat.

“Indeed. We’d thought you’d enjoy some breakfast with us on the balcony. It has some beautiful views into the city, and may offer your soon to be worshippers an opportunity to gaze upon your beauty.” The tan unicorn purred out, her smile widening as Rainbow goggled at her words.

“Woah, what do you mean worshippers? It's not like… oh, right, I remember now.” The pegasus rubbed her eyes, letting out a small yawn. “It’s too early for all this talk.”

“That is not true. Most citizens have already made their morning brew. Your sleep schedule is all so muddled, perhaps I can help to stop you from being so befuddled?” Zanubia stood up, joining Hetramila as they trotted over to the balcony door.

“Hey, my sleep schedule is already pretty awesome. I can’t be a top Wonderbolt if I don’t rest up and catch some Z’s”. Rainbow hand waved the concern away, watching as the door was pushed open by another pair of maids. Outside was a modest table, with most of it shadowed by the veranda. Beyond a waist-high wall, Rainbow could see into the city below. Pausing, she marvelled, as she got her first proper look at the population center.

Because of the palace’s height, it allowed her to see for a respectful distance out. Small rectangular houses stretched out in vast rows, intermingled with larger structures that helped to break up the mostly uniform abodes. This, however, was not what drew her eye. In the direct centre of the city, a pyramid jutted upwards. The flat faces of the pyramid were covered with a multitude of statues, carved into the shape of several humanoid figures. A few resembled equines, yet many more featured a whole menagerie of other creatures; falcons, ibis, crocodiles, jackals among a smattering of other creatures Rainbow couldn’t readily identify.

At the very peak of the pyramid, the angular limestone cap was juxtaposed against a coiled body; encircling the peak, a cobra reared upwards. Utterly enormous in scale, it was striped black and gold; the materials sparkling in the sun to such a degree that the glare dazzled Rainbow. “Magnificent, isn’t it? The Cobra of Akhethra, built over the course of hundreds of years, following the rule of multiple Pharaoh’s. Built from carved obsidian and cast, hand beaten gold, it’s very presence alone strikes courage into the hearts of the population, and to intimidate any would be foe into submission.”

“Wow, that’s pretty neat.” Rainbow breathed, aware of how bad her response was. However, she was suddenly distracted by the sweet odour coming from the table. Unloading multiple trays, the servants placed a range of hearty breakfast items onto the stone table.

“Indeed, now, why don’t you take a seat? We can continue our discussion whilst we eat.”

“Sounds great.” Easing herself onto the cushioned chair, Rainbow plucked several items from the available selection. A modest pile of bacon, bread, sausage soon accumulated, along with a slice of melon. “Can I ask you something?”

“Whatever you wish to know, we’d be happy to bestow.”

“You mentioned Pharaoh's, right? As in more than one? Is there still one around somewhere?” Her hosts shared a small look, smiling at one another.

“A very good question to ask. The answer to this, I am quite up to the task. In these lands so fair, there are those of considerable power to which none can compare. Rising through the religious or governing ranks, their sheer will and charisma currying favour and thanks. With enough public interest and support, they are allowed to claim the court, and become ruler of all. They become the Queen of all the land, in these beautiful and holy sands.”

“I’m sensing a ‘but’ somewhere.” Rainbow commented, busily chewing through crispy bread, lathered with thick, gooey honey.

“You are correct. For this system can be wrecked. If no eligible creature can sire the task, then no ruler shall last. If a period of significant time passes with no zebra or pony to take responsibility, then the rule falls upon two officials or three.”

“Basically, because no good Queen material has appeared in all these long decades, me and her were placed in charge to manage the land. I held the highest position amongst the current advisors, and Zanubia is the most senior priestess. For all intents and purposes, we serve as the highest authority on any major decision, as well as actively searching for suitable candidates for ascending the throne.”

“That has how it has worked for many years, the longest time without a pharaoh, stirred many fears. That was, however until this unwinding thread of loss was severed. By you.” Zanubia held aloft a finger, pointing it straight at Rainbow’s chest. Sputtering slightly, Rainbow just about managed to stop herself coughing crumbs onto the table.

“Me?”

“Yes, you. Were you even paying attention yesterday?” Hetramila chuckled, idly twirling her fork between her fingers. “Avatar of the goddesses? Elusive Pegasi? The very crown you are wearing upon your prismatic mane?”

“Alright, alright, I get it. Sorry, but I’ve just been thrown into a new world, I wasn’t exactly in the learning mood.” Rainbow held out her hands in a slight surrender pose.

“It’s fine. Although, I am curious about your world. You mentioned about ‘Wonder Bolts’, what is that?” The unicorn leaned in slightly, taking a sip from the glass beside her.

“Well, they are the most awesome team of flyers ever created! The best pegasi around flying and performing epic stunts in formation, the air itself crackling and sparking with lightning. That's besides being defenders of the land and sky, as part of our EPU duties, in combination with Princess Celestia’s royal guard…”

“Princess Celestia? Who is she, I do plead?”

“Oh, only the coolest pony to ever live! She ruled Equestria for 1000 years alone, after her sister got jealous over the attention she was getting, and kinda turned into a demonic version of herself, trying to make night last forever.”

“Whatever do you mean by forever? How would she accomplish this endeavour?”

“Well, they do control the Sun and Moon between each other. Celestia raises the sun and Princess Luna, the one who turned into the demon, controls the moon. Err… why are you two staring at me like that?” Indeed, the Governor and the Priestess were both staring at her, mouths agape.

“C...control the sun? Are these two goddesses?” Hetramila stuttered.

“Err, not too sure on that front, but they have ruled over Equestria for the longest time.”

“Do you know them at all? What connections with them do you haul?” Zanubia clutched at her necklace, running the shaped charms through her fingers.

“I know them pretty well. I’m an Element of Harmony, practically chosen by fate to be friends with the princess’s student. I’ve also helped to save Equestria as well, meeting with her a few times here and there. I’d say she’s got my back.” Smirking, she couldn’t help but laugh at how widely the two goggled. “Ha, you should see the look on your faces!” She chortled, spearing a sausage on her fork, biting into the hot, greasy morsel.

Rubbing her forehead, Hetramila let out a sigh. “So, let me clarify. You're a defender of your world, and part of a special pegasi flying team. They gave you some special element… what was that again?”

“The Elements of Harmony. I wear… or used to wear the Element of Loyalty, which helped me and my friends to purify Luna of her evil and restore her to normal.”

“Right. Furthermore, you know a pair of ponies which raise and lower the magnificent celestial bodies every single day?” The unicorn was no longer seated, standing up with her eyes wide with excitement, as a wide grin threatened to split her face in two.

“Yeah, that about sums me up. Oh, and all the competitions I’ve won, and historic artefacts I’ve saved too.” Leaning back, Rainbow took another bite of bread, savouring the gooey honey. After that, both parties remained in relative silence, the pegasus continuing to work over her breakfast, not noticing the ever growing pile on her plate. In contrast, her hosts just sat there in a mixture of bewilderment and joy, Zanubia quashing these feelings to a reasonable degree more.

Eventually, the white noise of munching and distant crowds was disturbed, as the Zebra struck up conversation once more. “Another thing to discuss, a plan to introduce you is as thus; When the sun passes for a few days more, we would like to take you to the temples and markets so you can experience the wonders in store. A trip through the Akhethran streets, would allow the citizens to see and greet.”

“A day trip? Sounds awesome… though why can’t it be tomorrow, or today even? It’s only morning for crying out loud.” Rainbow responded, not noticing as she dribbled a trail of grease onto her top.

“Preparations need to be made, or the consequences of such a rush will be paid. You will get out there to see the sights and sounds, but without a plan failure is inbound. To be the new ruler of the lands, the citizens must be ready and willing to stand, for a spectacle so grand. From house and shop alike, you shall show them what you are like.”

“Planning? Aww come on, that stuff is for eggheads.” She dismissed with a wave of her hand, resting one on her impressively stuffed gut. Only now was Rainbow feeling how much grub she’d packed away.

“Planning is useful for every part of life, without it my work would be full of issues and strife. Do not worry, the best things in life come when you are not in a hurry.” She finished, giving Hetramila some subtle hints with a cocking of her head.

“Exactly. Now, come along, we’ve got some important items to do today, some I hope you’ll find entertaining.”

“Sure, count me in, if my name isn’t RainbuuUURRPPP Dash!” She belched, wiping her hands on her clothes, hoisting herself to her feet. The Governor and Priestess quickly followed, leading the pegasus out of the veranda, into the cooler interior. With both parties’ minds abuzz with new information, they wound through the long, meandering hallways. After all, it was a new day, and they had plenty to do, and plenty of mysteries to ponder.