• Published 21st Feb 2021
  • 7,271 Views, 197 Comments

The Young Prince of Equestria - GoebelTron



Saved by his parents from death when he was a baby, saved by Celestia who found and raised him as her son, but what kind of adventures are awaiting for Bowen Mockingjay? Follow his adventures as he learns from his own experience.

  • ...
11
 197
 7,271

Chapter XIX: An Unexpected Encounter (Part 2) - Unknown Species Revealed

The next morning, Bowen was helping Ben gather some firewood for the winter. He panted heavily as he ran out of breath and sat down on the wagon with the firewood. “How much more until we’re done, Uncle Ben?” he asked.

“We still have a long way to go, Bowen. Winter is close and I need to have lots of wood and food if I want to survive next season,” he replied, wheeling the wagon.

“I see,” Bowen said.

Bowen then continued carrying his little pack of wood back to the farm. It had already been one month since Ben found him, and thanks to his medical skills and medicine, he managed to heal in 3 weeks, until his little arm, legs, and head were as good as new. And now this past week, he spent it making little jobs for Ben, by collecting berries, gardening for vegetables and fruits, helping him carry firewood, and hunting. Since he didn’t have any talent in the last one, the only job suited for him when they went hunting was none other… than setting up the traps or being the bait. But thanks to his little body, including his agility and speed, he was perfect for that, he even managed to outrun a manticore for a while, but he was glad Ben killed it when he dragged it to the trap.


At night, inside the hut, after a good day collecting wood, Ben and Bowen were enjoying the warm fireplace and finished having a nice dinner of cooked deer meat and a combination of cauliflower and spinach, until Bowen laid on the bed.

“It was a good day, wasn’t it, Uncle Ben?” Bowen asked.

“Indeed,” Ben said. “Now, we have enough wood for the winter, and all we need to do now is wait for those pegasi to bring the winter.”

“Pegasi are the ones who bring the winter?” Bowen asked. “How do they do that?”

“Well, they bring rain as well because up in Cloudsdale, there’s a weather factory where they make rainbows, rain and snow clouds, but they also walk on the clouds due to pegasus magic,” Ben said.

“I think being able to touch or walk on a cloud or fly is cool,” Bowen said.

“So what is your plan when rain or a storm comes, or if a pegasus comes?” Ben asked.

“I’ll be hidden. But to be honest, I can’t risk letting them see me,” Bowen said.

Ben was now confused, “And why is that? In my opinion, you seem the kind who wants to make new friends, but why wouldn’t you let the pegasi see you? The unicorns or earth ponies?”

“I’d like to make some friends at least, but you said you never saw anything like me before,” Bowen replied. “If I’m a rare species, like you or anypony else would say, somepony could spread the word about me and maybe my old owner in Canterlot would have heard it and will come to look for me and try to reclaim me by force.”

“Very well, son. You somehow impress me, since you are young but smart,” Ben said.

“What are we doing tomorrow?” Bowen asked.

“Well, besides getting some more meat, we need to sell some of the meat to the griffons and other people.”

“Ok, Uncle Ben. I don’t exactly spend money since I’m still afraid of going to other places with you, but it will be a good idea to have some saved by the time I decide to go,” Bowen said.

“Well said,” Ben said. “Now, get some sleep. We’ve got a busy day tomorrow.”

Bowen nodded and then went to sleep until Ben looked at him before turning in for the night.


After a good hunting day, Bowen and Ben were dragging their reward: a good-sized supply of deer, turkey, boar, and buffalo meat, especially manticore, great horned rhinoceros, moose, and other big cats of prey. This night, they were going to eat like kings, and Bowen was proud of himself. The first time he was used as bait, he peed himself but now he was more than used to it, he was even faster now, but he still didn’t know anything about his species, but surely they were agile and he was more than happy to have the ability.

Thinking happily about the feast they were going to have, one issue crossed his mind. It has been haunting him since weeks ago. He turned to see Ben and said, “Uncle Ben, can I ask you something?”

Ben then sighed and then spoke, “I told you, Bowen. You don’t need to ask me that every time. Just ask me, and if I feel like answering, I will. If not, just interpret my silence.”

Bowen nodded and then asked, “Ok, remember you told me you never saw anything like me in all your life?”

Ben then nodded.

Bowen then asked, “Then… why did you help me that night? I mean... weren’t you surprised? Afraid?”

Ben stared at Bowen for some seconds, he then chuckled and said, “Believe it or not, Bowen, there aren’t many things that can surprise me now. I’ve lived for so long and seen many things and there are even things I regret with all my heart to have seen. But when I found you that night, I knew I couldn’t leave you out there, so I made the right choice and decided to help you and find out what you were and what you could offer to me as gratitude.”

“So... you don’t regret saving me?” Bowen asked.

“You helped me out around my land and proved yourself to be useful, so no, I don’t regret saving you,” Ben said. “But remember this, a strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others.”

Bowen felt very happy after hearing that. Ben was not only an emotional minotaur, but had some confidence and good leadership in his heart, and at least he said something “nice” to him, he kept walking with him, carrying the tasteful meat.


Back at the hut, they prepped themselves up to some dinner, and set up the fire that was cooking some boar parts, until Bowen and Ben were then eating with gusto in their meal, enjoying the succulently juicy meat, it was obvious this was their favorite meal, except the other meats or fish didn’t compare.

“Wow, this boar is even better than the last one!”

“It may be because this one wasn’t too quick,” Ben said.

“I see,” Bowen said.

“Ok, now remember we need to sell the remaining meat at the village,” Ben said.

Bowen gulped and answered, “I don’t know, Uncle Ben. I mean, what if they find me strange and try to hunt me or something?”

“Don’t worry about that, because you are with me,” Ben said. “If any creature asks, I’ll just tell them you are my assistant and my property, no matter what you are, and that stealing is paid severely here.”

“Uh... ok, but what if they ask what I am?”

“I’ll… think of something,” Ben said, as he got the wagon ready for tomorrow. “Bowen? Why don’t you turn in for the night? I’ll do the rest.”

Bowen nodded and then went to bed while Ben continued to set up the wagon.


The next morning, after breakfast, Bowen and Ben were walking to the checkpoint between the other kingdoms and Equestria, with the wagon carrying all the meats they’ve collected after their hunting. Bowen also had a mask over his face to cover his identity.

Just a few minutes before arriving there, they reached a little house next to the road, and there were two minotaur ladies working, with one taking care of her garden and one doing their laundry.

Both had round bellies, and slim muscular upper bodies and thick legs. One was a light brown minotaur with brown spots. She had a pink snout, and a tufted dark brown mane, and she had on a gray denim suspender skirt over her torso.

The other doing the laundry was a cream-brown colored minotaur with a pink snout and bow on her mane, and had on a blue denim suspender skirt and a green underskirt with yellow and green flowers and a translucent frilly edge.

When she saw them, she and the other minotaur immediately approached them, waved her hand, and said, “Hello, Ben! How are you?!”

“Well, about time you decided to visit us today,” the other spoke in an African-American accent. “And… oh, my! Who is that little creature with you?”

Ben knew it was inevitable for these two ladies to meet Bowen someday, sighing heavily, he answered, “This is Bowen. He’s living with me, I found and decided to make him my assistant,” Ben said. “Bowen, this is Bessy and Daisy, they’re friends of mine.”

With winded eyes, the two ladies, now identified as Bessy and Daisy, looked at the small boy with Ben. Daisy then walked over and turned to Bowen, “So you’re living with him?”

A little reluctant, Bowen nodded, “Yes… Mrs. Daisy, and it’s nice to meet you and Mrs. Bessy!”

“My my, he sure is quite charming,” Bessy said in a semi sarcastic tone.

Bowen, even under his “mask” showed some blushing signals, not able to contain them, until Daisy brought him over for a hug as he wrapped his arms around her waist, feeling himself pressed against her stomach.

“Oh, he feels so embarrassed,” Daisy said, stroking his hair with her hand.

“Well, I’m not surprised since it’s obvious he is still a kid, but why the heck are you wearing a mask?” Bessy asked.

Ben was the one to answer, “Let’s just say his past owner didn’t treat him well, so he escaped, and then he lived alone for some time, and now he is not that comfortable around new people to see his face. He’s a shy boy, I’m afraid.”

Daisy gently tightened the hug and with sad eyes, she said, “Oh, you poor little thing. I’m so sorry that happened to you, but Bessy and I know now you are safe with Bennett. But don’t worry, he may be a little grumpy, but he is actually a good minotaur.”

Bowen nodded, and then she released him, before Bessy spoke up, “But I can see you are kinda thin, sugar. Come on in here, I will make sure you are well fed.”

“Ok, thanks, ma’am.”

“Please call me Bessy. Any friend of Bennett or Daisy is a friend of mine, especially when they’re so cute as you!”

After a nod from Ben telling him the selling could wait, both of them proceeded to enter inside the cabin to have a nice warm brunch.

Inside, they saw a green turtle eating some apple slices, a raccoon sleeping and wearing a tunic and pants, and a small tree-like creature.

The raccoon and turtle woke up and saw Ben and Bowen enter.

“BENNY!” the raccoon exclaimed.

“Ben! Good to see you!” the turtle said.

“I am Groot,” Groot said.

“Hello, boys,” Ben said. “Verne, Ratchet, Groot, this is Bowen, my new assistant.”

“Hi,” Bowen said.

“Nice to meet ya, kid,” Ratchet said.

“Glad to meet your acquaintance,” Verne said.

“I am Groot,” Groot said.

Bowen then lifted Groot by letting him stand on his hand and then placed him on his shoulder.

“He’s kinda nice,” Bowen said, letting Groot touch his finger.

“That’s just how Groot normally behaves,” Ratchet said.

“You’ll get used to it,” Verne said.

“Breakfast!” Bessy hollered.

Daisy was a good cook, since her eggs and bacon were amazing. Little by little, Bowen felt more comfortable with her, and Bessy also. But however, still feeling a little reluctant, he took off his mask, when Daisy saw him, Bessy said, “My my. Now I’m confused. Why would you wear a mask when you are so good-looking and cute? I must admit, I’m a little surprised, but you are not near ugly. I’m impressed you are a lot handsome.”

Blushing hard, Bowen answered, “Thanks, Mrs. Bessy.”

“You are welcome, sugar.”

Ben then told Verne and Ratchet how he found Bowen that night, leaving them in complete shock.

“Wow, I’m sorry you went through that, Bowen,” Verne said.

“You pretty much didn’t deserve a life like that,” Ratchet said.

“Thanks, guys,” Bowen said.

When brunch was over, Ben then said, “Once again, thank you for the meal, ladies. Now Bowen and I have to see our customers before they change their minds about the meat.”

Daisy, again hugging Bowen, said, “The pleasure was all ours and we hope now that you have this little one under your arm, you must come more regularly. I know a couple of cute minotaurs girls around his age who would be very charmed to know him.”

“Hahahaha, that’s nice, Daisy. But for now, let him get used to you and the rest of us,” Ratchet said.

“Once he is ready, we can all talk about that, ok?” Verne said in agreement.

“I am Groot,” Groot said in reply.

Groot, Ratchet, and Verne joined the other two in their meat delivery.

“Ok,” Daisy said, and she turned to Bowen. “And you, feel free to pay me and Bess a visit whenever you want. And if you haven’t tasted my cookies, you haven’t lived.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Daisy.”

Both of them said their farewells and continued onward, with Ratchet, Verne, and Groot following them. The checkpoint was not a problem, since Bowen was technically a property, and he didn’t even need an ID, but he had to know anything he’d do would be his “owner’s” fault so he promised to behave well.

Once in the marketplace, Bowen couldn’t hide his amazement. The little city next to the checkpoint was amazing. It was called Willowdale. It wasn’t much, but still awesome, there were tons of other creatures walking on two legs, but others were minotaurs, both young and old, there were also griffons, zebras, and ponies. The griffons looked so cool and mighty, the zebras looked calm and quiet, the other creatures were kinda scary looking, and he didn’t know why, and the ponies… well, they looked kinda cute, most of all the fillies and colts.

Feeling confused about how he was looking at the fillies and colts in the streets, he asked Ben, “Uncle Ben… I’m feeling like I’m some attraction to the fillies and colts of this city. Why is that?”

Not expecting this kind of question from someone so young, left Ben a little shocked. After some seconds, he finally answered, “Well... If I have to guess… I’d say it’s because even if you can’t remember, you still lived for so long amongst ponies and you developed an attraction to their female species.”

“That… that make sense. I hope to see a female of my species, and if I do, I hope they are cute,” Bowen said.

Both Verne and Ratchet chuckled, while that all continued their way, as expected, many creatures stared at Bowen, some with interest and some with disgust. He made his best to ignore them and didn’t leave Ben’s side.

When they were left alone, Bowen asked, “So... who are we visiting to sell the meat, Uncle Ben?”

“It’s some old friends of mine, they always buy quality meat since they befriend the nobles of Equestria,” Ben said.

“Wow…” Bowen said.

“But that’s not all. For centuries, many of these members have traveled around all the world, not only Equestria, but Minus, Saddle Arabia, Zebrica, or Griffonstone, so there is no place where at least one family member hasn’t been.”

“That’s impressive. But why are you telling me that?” Bowen asked.

“Because if any creature would have a little idea what you are, it’s him or at least one member of his family,” Ben said.

“I see, but if…” Bowen was then cut off.

“Don’t worry, kid. You’ll get the hang of it,” Ratchet said.

“Just let us handle it. Because my tail tingles when I get a bad feeling, so I’d suggest you stay behind,” Verne said.

Bowen nodded, knowing he was in good hands or hooves. Very soon, both of them arrived at their destination, an old library that looked like a griffon’s hut. Ben knocked on the door until what answered the door appeared to be a female griffon with a brown lion body and wings, and her head had ten, black, brown and white feathers and had yellow eyes.

”Otulissa? Are the others home?” Ben asked.

“Hello, Bennett! Yes, they’re home!” Otulissa replied, with a British accent. She then gasped with excitement at the sight of Bowen in their presence. “Oh, who’s this little one?! Oh, he’s so adorable!”

She then lifted Bowen in her talon arms and then brought him towards her chest for a hug.

“Ahem!” a voice appeared.

Otulissa turned around and saw a griffon, except he had gray and white-tinted feathers with a few brown feathers peeking, yellow eyes, and a light and dark gray lion body. “Whatcha doing there? Eh?” he asked in an English accent.

“Sorry, it’s just that…” Otulissa was suddenly interrupted by another voice. “What’s going on here?”

Just then, they saw more griffons appearing.

One had the feathers of a harpy eagle and a male snowy owl, brownish amber eyes, and a gray body.

The one next to him was a female, but she had not only the same feathers as her husband, but also the feathers of a female snowy owl, dazzling whitish blue eyes and the build of a supermodel pony in Equestria.

The one on the left had dark brown wings and head feathers, yellow eyes, and a brown lion body.

The one next to him had the same feathers as Otulissa, but was a bit taller than her.

The one on the right had gray feathers and wings, a darker gray lion body, and greenish-white eyes.

The one next to him was a little bit smaller than the others, had brown and gray feathers and a small mustache and beard, yellowish-brown eyes, and a tan-colored body, and had a small scar on his face.

“Oh, sorry, your highness,” Otulissa said to the first griffon, putting Bowen down.

“It’s quite alright, my dear Otulissa,” the one called Boron said.

“It’s a pleasure to see you, Bennett,” Barran said.

“Indeed it is,” Ben said.

“And I see you’ve brought some friends along with you,” the one named Bubo said.

“We’ve thought it was a good day to explore for the day,” Ratchet said. “Got tired of sitting around and stuff.”

“Well, not only that, except we wanted to know more about this kid right here,” Verne explained. “He’s suffering from a short term amnesia.”

“And who is this?” Grimble asked after seeing Bowen hiding behind Otulissa’s front legs.

“I rescued him in the forest, and is now helping and living with me,” Ben explained.

Ratchet then continued, “If you’re wondering what he is, he is…”

“He is a human,” the griffon named Allomere answered almost whispering, meaning he didn’t want anyone to hear him.

“A what?” both of them said.

Otulissa put her claw on his mouth to tell them to be quiet, and then Boron ordered them all to enter their hut.


Once they were inside, a conference was made, with the griffons in their seats and their guests standing or sitting.

“In all my life, I never heard of that word and you know very well I’ve almost seen or heard everything,” Bubo said. “What I’m concerned is about how a human child could possibly make it this far.”

“Having examined him, Your Majesty, they do show signs of the trials that they described,” Barran said to her husband.

“It beggars belief to think that this brave minotaur would risk his entire life to care for a human child by himself,” Strix Struma said, as Lord Allomere begins to chuckle lightly. “Does my Lord Allomere feel otherwise?”

Allomere then spoke up, “Oh, good Glaux. Boron, your majesty. If I do understand and remember correctly, it’s merely natural you or better say that practically no one else in other places in Equestria or outside knows what a human is, because it’s never been mentioned in any of their books or have existed in their time.”

“What do you mean?” Bowen asked, as the griffons looked at him.

Allomere then continued, “Well, my dear boy. According to this particular experience from before, humans still exist in our time, but not many have been noticed, until now. Because you’re not the first. Many other humans come from royal blood or from other villages in the outskirts of Avalar, or from other worlds in different dimensions, which may also believe to be a fairy tale.”

“And how do you know that?” Ratchet asked, “I always knew you guys were eggheads but still, how do you know this and the rest of the world doesn’t?”

“Because… the one who made contact with the humans… was our ancestor, Gawain the Wise and his unicorn friends and partners, Starswirl the Bearded, his pupil Clover the Clever, and one unicorn named Professor Elder Scroll Heartstrings, a brilliant professor of archaeological science and artifacts.”

“Wow… Is there more?” Bowen asked, since he was so surprised, he didn’t expect to get the answer about what species he was that fast.

“Our ancestor and his colleagues were the bestest of friends, and they loved to travel around the world looking for something to do their magical research on, and they said they saw many things, new places, hidden cities, but… they even said that they have touched one of the legendary enchanted items of all time.”

Bowen was amazed, because he didn’t understand what those ítems were, but they sounded awesome.

“But in one of their journals our families and their ancestors have been keeping for centuries, they mentioned a creature that looked like a furless ape, but was was rather intelligent, and it also appeared he claimed that he didn’t have magic, but they swore that they sensed some in him. It seemed they befriended with him, but he somehow disappeared, fearing that something would go terribly wrong.”

Bowen, Verne, Groot and Ratchet kept listening.

“The only important thing they managed to know about him was that his species were called human, but some were from another dimension or from the other side of our lands. And his name… was Professor Cornelius.”

Ratchet was unamused, “And that’s all?”

“Precisely, my friend. The journal also said they decided to keep quiet about it since no creature would ever believe them and made a sworn promise to never speak of this again. But of course, my ancestor lied since he made sure any member of the family would swear to tell his story for generations up to me, but of course, all of us thought they were crazy but… it seemed they weren’t.”

“Allomere, when you said other dimensions or other side of our lands, are you saying that humans… are like aliens?” Verne asked.

“I’m not sure, but it may have predicted it,” Allomere replied.

Suddenly, they heard someone laughing and coughing, before they saw an old griffon named Ezylryb, before Allomere asked, “Does that notion strike Ezylryb as amusing?”

“What cheek!” he said. “What’s amusing to me is that you would cover yourself by besmirching these young ones.”

“Perhaps my good fellow Ezylryb wishes us to race back to warfare with the empire or start a campaign,” Allomere commented.

“No, no.”

“Or perhaps he’d write a poem about it from his hollow; and what the boy has discovered, while the rest of us... Well, while the rest of us had our talons and most of our feathers deformed too.”

“Uh-huh.”

“But I say caution when the losses could be so many, but not with the emperor and his army still at large,” Allomere said, before Ezylryb walked over.

“I would never counsel rushing blindly into war with the empire, but for a cause such as a load of disgraceful assortment of unspeakable and deplorable rubbish imaginable that you mentioned towards the boy and our friends, for a violation of peace so blatant, so powerful... ...of course I’d fight! What other course to take? And if you think I’m just a old, bloody coward, or I’d simply urge others on, I’ll fight you right here and right now.”

King Boron then banged his gavel, “Order.”

“Boron, you can judge the winner,” Ezylryb commented.

“Mildly, griffons. We’re trying to seek the truth,” Boron said, until Bowen spoke up.

“The truth? I just told you the truth. You said that I’m not the only human in this world. But I don’t know where to begin.”

“What do you mean, Bowen?” Barran asked, until Verne saw Bowen feeling nervously sad.

“Bowen, what’s wrong? Aren’t you surprised to know what species you are and how special you are?”

Bowen nodded, “Well yes, I mean, I still can’t believe I discovered what I am that fast but... that also means... I will never know someone like me. I’m alone.”

“Pfft! So what?” Ratchet said, before he continued.

“So what if you never meet someone like you? That doesn’t mean you can’t know other creatures.”

Verne then continued, “He’s right you know. I mean, look at Daisy and Bessy. They like you. And you may not notice, but some of those fillies were looking at you with amazement. I believed they wanted to know you better, so it’s up to you.”

Bowen was surprised that both a talking raccoon and a talking turtle were encouraging him, so fighting his tears he answered, “You’re right! I won’t say I’m alone again. But maybe in my past life I was just a pet, but now I will make my own life with my own choices.”

“Excellent decision, Bowen. Because we’re with you till the end of the other side,” Ratchet said.

Bowen then spoke to the council, “And to be honest with you all, the only proof we had was that since I’ve suffered a lot. But I hoped that you might have some kind of solution that could help me remember who I really am. And still, I believed.”

Ezylryb turned to Boron, “And you would argue with that?”

Boron sighed, “I will not argue with it.”

Allomere then spoke, “Your Majesty, may I suggest that maybe the boy should…”

“No,” Boron said, cutting him off. “We shall let our friend Bennett handle it. What you will do from now on, never say anything we just told you, unless you want this child captured for experimentation. So be very thorough.”

“Understood. As long as I am alive, nothing will stand in my way with keeping the boy safe.”

“So, that means you will keep the secret?” Ratchet asked.

“Correct.”

Ezylryb then turned to them, “I must warn you, be careful if you ever go to Equestria, more precisely either Canterlot or Ponyville, as far as I know, the descendant of Elder Scroll Heartstrings, lives in one of those towns, meaning that Elder Scroll didn’t plan to keep the secret from his family.”

Bowen felt more afraid than ever. He decided long ago to never go to Equestria, but now he had another reason not to. As he would never go there again, he then said, “Don’t worry Mr. Ezylryb, I was planning to never go there anyway.”

“And why is that?”

Bowen proceeded to tell Ezylryb his theory about his origins, when he finished, Ezylryb and the other guardians looked with a few serious faces, before he said, “Your point is valid, but you can’t honestly be sure of that. And believe me, one creature can’t normally live without knowing who he was, at least not a peaceful life. It may not happen today or tomorrow, but someday you will want to know who you were these first years of your life. You can negate it all you want but someday, you will go to Equestria for answers.”

“Maybe, but as you said, that day is not today and it will not be very soon.”

Boron nodded and then banged his gavel, as the motion was already carried.


Once they were returning home, while walking through the street, Bowen noticed the lack of ponies compared to the rest of creatures, he then asked, “Uncle Ben, why are there a few ponies, but so many of the rest of them different creatures?”

“Well, you really are very clever kid, huh?” Ratchet asked.

Ben then spoke up, “To tell you the truth, son, all the few ponies you see here are travelers or nomads, meaning they don’t stay for much longer. They usually travel around here since this road is the quickest in their countries.”

“And why is that?”

“Let’s say that many years ago, there was a war between the countries and even though it ended, right now, some of the countries are not exactly in good terms with the other countries in Equestria. We normally have a peace treatment, but both countries are at edge. Not many ponies dare to travel here and not many travel to Equestria as well, because you’d typically need special permission to do so.”

“I see. Guess that might take time getting used to,” Bowen said.

Ratchet laughed, “Who cares? Even if they do travel to Equestria, who would believe them? They normally travel there for some kind of social gatherings or something like that.”

After hearing that and stared at each other for some seconds, they all exploded in a huge laugh. It was the first time Bowen saw how Ben laughed. Maybe, just maybe, someday, he would consider him a friend instead of a mere assistant, Bowen thought.

“Maybe someday, I’d be like… like if I were a hero, and maybe slay any villains and monsters in my path, or maybe be a Viking or an explorer, and write many stories and poets about my adventures so that the world could hear about them.”

“Well, you could, but it’s typically impossible,” Verne said.

“I said I could. I can be anything!” Bowen said.

“Yeah, right. Like that would ever happen,” Ratchet said.

“Hey, lay off him, Ratchet. He’s just trying to fit in,” Verne said.

“I am Groot,” Groot commented.

“Thanks, Verne,” Bowen said.

“Don’t mention it,” he replied.

Later on, they continued on with their day.


Later that night, in Canterlot, Celestia was sitting on the soft red pillow in her chambers in complete heartbreak, feeling sad about the loss of not only her sister, but also her son, Bowen.

Opening the door and entering the room was her niece Cadance, as she asked, “Hey, you okay?” Celestia didn’t reply, until Cadance walked over to her aunt to comfort her, “There, there. It’s all right, Aunt Celestia. It’ll be okay.”

“No, it won’t,” Celestia replied.

“What do you mean? Sure it will, you’ll see,” Cadance said.

“No. I promised him I’d never let anything happen to him. To protect him from anypony who’d dare try to harm him or take him away. I failed. I’m a terrible mother.”

Cadance was somehow shocked, “Huh. That’s a funny thing to promise.”

“What?” Celestia asked.

“Well, you can’t never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him... Not much fun for Bowen.” Cadance replied, until Celestia began to cry, before Cadance comforted her aunt again. “I’m sorry. I know he meant so much to you. I felt the same way too. He was like the little brother I’ve ever had, ever since he came along in our lives, and I loved him so much. Wherever he is, I’m sure he’ll still love you. Always.”

Celestia smiled, and then brought her niece over for a hug by placing her wing around her, “Thank you, my niece. I’m sure Bowen would understand that too, if he were still alive.”

“I think so too. I’m going to bed. I’ll see you in the morning,” Cadance said, walking out of her aunt’s bedroom and over to hers, while Celestia envisioned her son Bowen standing with her and watching the moon light up in the sky like they would always do.

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long to write this. I had trouble thinking about making up some other characters, but some you might be familiar with.