• Published 21st Feb 2021
  • 7,238 Views, 197 Comments

The Young Prince of Equestria - GoebelTron



Saved by his parents from death when he was a baby, saved by Celestia who found and raised him as her son, but what kind of adventures are awaiting for Bowen Mockingjay? Follow his adventures as he learns from his own experience.

  • ...
11
 197
 7,238

Chapter XII: Being Brave

During the afternoon, Cadance was brushing her mane and tail before braiding them again, and Blueblood was sitting there reading a book. Suddenly, Bowen entered the room quietly and without them looking tried to touch Cadance’s beautiful tail.

“If you wish to get her attention, little squire, try showing some dignity towards her respectfully and greet her with a proper manner,” Blueblood said, as he saw his cousin come in. “I know how to be stealthy, cousin Blueblood,” he said, until he grumbled to himself. “Why don’t you run off to your den? We don’t have time to foalsit today,” Blueblood said, until Cadance glared at him. Bowen then felt Cadance stroking his hair with her hoof, and then she smiled at him, “So, what’s gotten my sweet and cute little cousin in a good mood?”

“I’m gonna be prince of Equestria when I turn 10!” Bowen said. “Is that so? That’s nice,” Cadance said, while braiding her mane and tail back into her ponytails. “Oh, goody,” Blueblood said. “So, what happened today?” Cadance asked.

“My Mommy just showed me our entire kingdom, and we’re gonna rule it all! As a family! Isn’t that cool? Hehehehe,” Bowen laughed. “Well, I’m flattered that you’ll be a fine prince like you are today,” Cadance said sweetly, until Bowen sat next to her side and hugged her. “Yes, and forgive me for not leaping in joy or showing some respectful dignity towards you. Sudden case of bad luck, you know,” Blueblood said sarcastically. “Hey, Cadie? If I’m prince, will that still make you a princess too?” Bowen asked. “Of course, Bowen sweetie. I’ll always be a princess,” Cadance said. “And cousin Blueblood? What would that make you?” Bowen asked.

“I don’t know, a monkey’s uncle or papa?” Blueblood replied sarcastically. “You’re funny sometimes,” Bowen said while giggling. “You have no idea,” Blueblood said.

“So, Aunt Celestia showed you the whole kingdom of Canterlot?” Cadance asked as Bowen was on her back. “Everything!” Bowen said. “We even saw a herd of deer prancing through the Whitetail Woods.”

“That’s pretty swell,” Cadance said.

“Perhaps she never told you about those other kingdoms beyond our borders of Equestria?” Blueblood asked. “No. She said I can’t go near them,” Bowen said. “Oh, sweetie. I’m so sorry. We just want you to be safe,” Cadance said, nuzzling her head against him for a hug. “And she’s absolutely right, it’s far too dangerous for a smaller creature like you to be playing around,” Blueblood said. “He has a point you know. Some of those griffons in Griffonstone might try to pick a fight, but those dragons in the Dragon Lands mare mighty angry beasts,” Cadance said. “Dragons?! Whoa!” Bowen said.

“Oh, dear. I’m afraid we’ve said too much and spoiled your clever little brain already. Though I suppose you'd have found out sooner or later...you being the Young Prince and all,” Blueblood said.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart. He’s just being silly,” Cadance said. “Well, I’m brave. I can take them!” Bowen said as he stood up like a true knight. “Maybe when you’re older enough,” Cadance said as she giggled. “Oh! Bowen, by the way. I’ve invited Shining Armor and his sister, Twilight to meet us both for a picnic at the park.”

“I can come?!” Bowen asked excitedly. “Of course,” Cadance replied. “In fact, I’ve got this basket ready, so why don’t we head on over now?”

“Okay!” Bowen said happily as he got onto the alicorn’s back and then looked at Blueblood. “Aren’t you coming, cousin Blueblood?”

“It’s Prince Blueblood, and I’m not attending to some picnic with lowlife commoners,” Blueblood replied jealously. “Or the likes of you.”

Cadance gave a stern look at Blueblood and levitated the book from his hooves and smacked him with it, “WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!”

“Because I don’t like your attitude, mister! Bowen may not be a pony, and I may be a princess, and you may be a prince, but our little cousin is twice the prince you’ll ever be! And those lowlifes are happen to be both Aunt Celestia’s student and Bowen’s personal training guard, and Twilight’s big brother,” Cadance replied, until she felt Bowen hugging her neck and stroking her fur. “Now I suggest you think about what you’ve said about our subjects, because if me or Aunt Celestia catch you with that tongue of yours, she may remove your status for good.”

“Fine. Be with that filthy ape for all I care!” Blueblood said angrily, as Cadance and Bowen walked over to the park for their picnic.


Meanwhile, Shining Armor and Twilight were waiting for Bowen and Cadance to appear. “I’m so bored! When will they get here! I was excited to play with both him and you again today!” Twilight said.

“Take it easy, Twily. They’ll be here. It just takes time,” Shining Armor replied. Suddenly, they saw Cadance trotting over with the picnic basket in her aura and Bowen riding on her back.

“Hi, Shiny. Hi, Twilight,” Bowen said. “Hey, little guy,” Shining Armor said, until he looked at Cadance. “Hey, Cadance. How are you?”

“I’m fine, Shining,” she replied, until Shining smelled an aroma from her mane. “Is that new mane spray?” he asked. “Nope. Still the same one,” Cadance said. “But my cousin usually enjoys it when I let him play with my mane or my tail.” She then let Bowen off her back.

“CADANCE!” Twilight jumped over to her and they both did their chant.

“Sunshine, sunshine! Ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!” The foalsitter and filly laughed after Twilight hugged Cadance’s neck while she returned the hug. “Oh! Hi, Bowen,” Twilight said. “Hey, Twilight,” Bowen replied.

“I heard you’re going to be prince of Equestria when your 10th birthday comes up,” Shining Armor said. Bowen nodded, and then Shining ruffled his hair with his hoof. “I’m proud of you, bud.”

“Why don’t we get moving while the food’s still fresh?” Cadance asked, and then they all went to a calm and good spot in the park near the woods to set up the picnic.

Shining and Cadance set up and extended a big cloth on the ground, and then Cadance removed all the things out of the basket, which included crustless sandwiches, sliced and clean apples, carrot sticks, a box full of cupcakes and small boxes of juice, and they started eating.

“Hey, Bowen. I’m not trying to hurt your feelings or scare you, but I know you’re Princess Celestia’s son, right?” Twilight asked. “Uh-huh,” Bowen replied. “So, do you know or remember how you got here? Or who your real parents are? Or where you’re from?” Twilight asked.

Bowen then felt sad realizing he couldn’t remember where he originally came from, “I… I don’t… I don’t know… where or who my real family…” He then stopped eating his sandwich and started to break down with watering eyes to the red and white plaid cloth.

“You know, Twilight… until you asked me that, I never even have been feeling worried about who I really am or anything about my real home… until now,” he sniffed his nose and wiped a tear with his hand. “I never even knew who my real parents were or how humans live, or what happened to make me end here where I’m the only one,” he then closed his eyes and sobbed.

“Twily, you shouldn’t have asked him that!” Shining Armor said angrily to his little sister. “But I just wanted to know if he did or didn’t know anything!” Twilight replied as she began to cry as well.

“I don’t wanna hear your excuses, little filly! Well, you should’ve thought about it before you made him cry! So apologize right now!” Shining glared.

“Shining!” Cadance yelled at her boyfriend, making him realize that he scared his little sister and looking down feeling ashamed.

“Sorry, it’s just… I don’t like seeing Bowen looking… like this… ever since he lost two of his friends,” Cadance then turned to Bowen as she saw him underneath her chest hugging both sides of her belly, and then she lifted his sad face up with a hoof, and kissed his forehead and hugged him again by holding him with both hooves. “Bowen, look at me in the eyes,” the pink alicorn said with a soft and sweet motherly tone. Bowen moved his eyes to meet Cadance’s eyes.

“Ever since you came here, you’ve been a part of Equestria as any other pony had, and this is always going to be your home, and we’ll always be your friends and family, and we’ll always love you no matter what anypony else says,” The young human smiled with tears of happiness as he sniffed his nose and then moved his arms and wrapped them around her neck to hug Cadance as she hugged him back.

“You always know what to say to make me happy,” Bowen said. Cadance giggled softly and then released him softly while holding him in her hooves, “Because I know you too well, Bowen. I’m sure you’ll find the answers you’re looking for soon enough.”

“I’m sorry, Bowen. I didn’t mean to upset you,” Twilight said. “It’s okay, Twilight. I forgive you,” Bowen said, as he then hugged Twilight.

“Well, now that we’ve eaten our food, what should we do now?” Cadance asked. “YOU BRING IT!” Twilight jumped onto her big brother, touched his body and ran.

“Oh, I am so gonna get you this time, little filly! Because you are so in for it!” Shining Armor as he stood up and swung his front legs, and then ran after his little sister.

“Cadie, can I go play with them?” Bowen asked. “Mmhmm. Go ahead and have fun,” Cadance replied, as she gently nudged him to join their game, and then Bowen ran over to the two siblings and hopped onto Twilight’s back. Shining suddenly ran out of breath, so he stopped to catch his breath and then suddenly saw that the kids were gone. “Uh… Twily? Bowen?”


Bowen and Twilight suddenly got lost and didn’t see Shining Armor chasing them. “Where’re Shiny and Cadie?” Bowen asked. “I think we’ve lost them,” Twilight replied.

Suddenly, they tumbled down from a cliff and teleported accidentally as Twilight’s horn lit up, and then they landed onto each other. Bowen then saw something up ahead as he got out from underneath Twilight. “Uh… Twilight? Where are we?” Bowen asked. “It looks like some kind of swamp… in the Everfree Forest,” Twilight said.

“I… I think we should go back. My Mommy says it’s dangerous to be in territories like this,” Bowen said. “Don’t worry. I’ll find us a way out through this place, but a safer route,” Twilight said. “Okay…” Bowen said, as he got onto Twilight’s back and then the two friends made their way through the Everfree Forest.

As they walked by, they saw a whole pile of bones and skeletons laying across the ground. “Are those… b-b-bones?” Bowen asked. “I… I… I think so,” Twilight replied feeling scared, until they were suddenly lost in the Flame Geyser Swamp. “I don’t know if there is a way out, Bowen. We might be lost.” Suddenly, a flaming geyser popped with boiling gas.

“Well, look at this…” said a hissing voice. “We weren’t expecting guests today. Would you two... like to stay for dinner?”

“Yeah, stay for dinner. ‘Cause you look like a midnight snack!” said a growling voice.

It suddenly appeared as a chimera, consisting the front body and head of a tiger, the head and back legs of a goat, and its tail was a green snake with red eyes.

“Twilight, what is that?” Bowen asked. “A chimera,” Twilight replied.

“Now, this is a meal I've waited my whole life for. What an unexpected treat, to eat the son of a princess of Equestria,” The tiger said. “And he has a little filly with him. Little fillies also taste good!” the goat head said.

“You can’t do anything to me! ‘Cause I’m the young prince of Equestria!” Bowen said. “Actually, she can,” Twilight said. “He’s telling me what to do. His mother’s strength flickering inside. I wonder... how all that bravery will taste,” the snake said.

“Can’t you just let us go?! This was a terrible mistake! We’re just trying to find a way back to Canterlot! Because if you do this, you’ll be trialed by Princess Celestia herself!” Twilight said.

“We’ve never been at war with ponies of Equestria, but now let’s see how the royal bloodline tastes!” The tiger said, as the chimera started chasing Bowen and Twilight. “Don’t let them get away!” The snake said as it kept chomping its jaws to bite Twilight’s tail.

Twilight then tripped, “BOWEN!” He turned around and saw the chimera getting closer until Bowen smacked it with a wooden branch, and then they ran again.

All of a sudden, Bowen and Twilight lost the chimera, and ended up on a dead end away from the flaming geysers, until it came back.

“Well… looks like we’ve got a pile of fresh meat waiting for us,” The snake said. The chimera prepared to charge at them, until Twilight and Bowen screamed, “HELP!”

Suddenly, a bright golden yellow light that shined like the sun appeared, and then appeared Princess Celestia shooting lasers from her horn and stood in front of the children to protect them, as she shot another laser but as a beam to draw the creature back. “Mommy!” Bowen said as he hugged her left back leg and nuzzled with it, as Twilight stood by him. Celestia covered them both with her wing, and glared at the chimera lighting up her horn as it was fully charged, “If you ever come near my son again...”

“No, princess. Never. Never again,” the snake said, as the tiger and goat lowered their heads in unison. “You’ve been warned, chimera,” Princess Celestia then saw the chimera go away, and then she looks down at Bowen hugging her leg for comfort, and then she nuzzled her muzzle with him for a hug. She then lowered her neck down so he can climb on her back and then the three of them went back to Canterlot together.


On the way back, as it started getting dark, the three made it back to the castle alive, and Twilight reunited with her family as she explained how it happened, and then they went home.

Bowen went to his room to cool off, and hugged his plushies to stay calm. Suddenly, a guard knocked on his door, “Prince Bowen? Your mother wants to see you in the throne room at once.”

Bowen got up and walked over to the throne room, but he didn’t see Celestia on her chair, and as he went to find her, he saw her outside the huge balcony and raising the moon. He went over to her and then stood by the balcony, before Celestia brought him towards her legs for a hug, and then she let him hug her hoof.

Celestia closed her eyes, and then looked down at her son, “Bowen, I’m very disappointed in you.”

“I… I know,” Bowen said, and then Celestia continued. “You could’ve been killed. You had me worried sick. And what’s worse, you put yourself and Twilight in danger.”

Bowen started to break down and then spoke up, “We were lost. We didn’t know where to go. I was scared, but I tried to be brave like you.”

Celestia then sat down, and draped one of her wings over him, “Oh, Bowen. I’m not mad. But I’m so proud of what you learned today. Sweetheart, being brave is sometimes a good thing, and it’s okay to be scared, even if you get lost in somewhere you’re not sure where you are.”

“But… But you’re not scared of anything,” Bowen said. “Well… I was today,” Celestia replied. “You were?” Bowen asked.

“Yes. I was afraid I might lose you, and I never wanted that to happen. I made a sworn promise to protect you,” Celestia said. “I’m glad you had feelings too,” Bowen said, as Celestia nodded. “But… you know what?” Bowen asked. “Hmm?” Celestia asked. “I think that chimera was even scared,”. Bowen said.

“That’s because nopony will ever threaten your mom. Come here, sweetheart,” Celestia said, and then they both hugged each other, and then she started tickling Bowen with her hooves, and then blew a raspberry on his belly, until Bowen pounced onto her and then he sat on her shoulders and held onto her horn and mane.

“Mommy?” Bowen asked. “Yes, dear?” Celestia asked. “I love you,” Bowen said. “I love you too, my sweet little prince,” Celestia replied. “We’ll always be together, right?” Bowen asked. “Always,” Celestia replied and then she felt Bowen kiss her horn, until she stood up and let Bowen sit on her back. “Bowen… let me tell you something that my father once told me and your Auntie Luna. Look at the stars. The great rulers of the past, who were unicorns and alicorns, look down on us from those stars.”

“Really?” Bowen asked as he looked at the stars in awe. “Yes. So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those legendary ponies will always be there to guide you. And so will I,” Celestia replied, and then they gazed at the stars before they would head to bed.